Menu

Low carb people: Turkey bacon, yea? or nay?

I bought some because I had always heard it was better for you, and it was cheaper.

Do you like it? Do you think regular bacon is better for low carb? I'm still having problem with my old low fat mentality. I know that being low carb means I do need fat.

So what is your bacon opinion?

Do you use one of those plates with the ridges? I use those and like it a lot.

I like those best. I lost mine in our last move, or threw it out or something. I need a new one. I like crunchy bacon and with turkey bacon you can get the whole piece an even crunchiness.

I know you are right. It is so weird to change my nutrition mindset.

That comes with time - there are so many "flavors" of what is low-carb....really, it comes down to what you like, what you'll be able to stick with long term and what tastes good to you. You're the one eating it - be it regular higher fat bacon or lower fat turkey bacon....both are okay on low-carb.

I used to eat turkey bacon because I don't like the pork taste of real bacon, but I like the smokey salty taste. But I've since discovered beef bacon. :drool5: My DH makes it at work (he's a butcher) it's beef brisket that has been baconified. LOL. I don't remember the process of turning pork bellies into bacon, but that's what he does, just with brisket.

All the awesome baconiness without any porkiness and without being processed and dyed and formed.

Assuming you actually don't like regular bacon for some reason beef bacon is a better alternative than turkey bacon IMO.

The fat on real bacon is disgusting, & I hate trying to eat around it. I'm not thrilled w/ pork in the first place & never buy it.

Turkey bacon is good, though. I don't buy it often (& I'd never heard of beef bacon--might try that), & I don't HATE pork bacon at someone else's house, but...eating fat for its own sake on purpose wigs me out.

Which doesn't answer the OP's question at all, lol, but apparently I wanted to talk about turkey bacon. :lol:

Have you seen the ingredient list for turkey bacon? :ack2:

They have to add a bunch of cr*p to make it taste like bacon!

Real bacon is much better for you, and tastes great, too!

Oh, I need to look at the ingredient list. Crud.

Whatever the origin, the thing I look for in bacon is that it's NITRATE FREE. Trader Joe's has several pork varieties to choose from, but I can't recall seeing nitrate free turkey bacon.

I cook bacon on my Foreman grill (my preference) or in the oven on a broiler pan (for bigger batches). Either way, the bacon doesn't sit in it's own grease while cooking, it drains off as it cooks. I think the microwave pans the others describe are designed to work the same way.

FWIW, though a low carb motto is don't fear the fat, I prefer to get my fats from natural, healthy sources such as hard cheeses, avocados, olive oil, etc, and lean cuts of meat versus slabs of fatty bacon. JMO.

I go for real bacon. I prefer the center cut variety and nitrate free if I can find it. But I don't eat it everyday so I try not to be too picky.

If you actually read the labels, turkey bacon isn't any better for you. This is from my Eat this, Not that book:

Oscar Mayer America's Favorite Bacon (2 slices)

70 calories

6g fat (2g saturated)

290mg sodium

Oscar Mayer Turkey Bacon (2 slices)

70 calories

6g fat (2g saturated)

380mg sodium

I don't use any extra oil to crisp up our bacon. I actually use a bacon press while the bacon is cooking. It helps all the portions cook evenly, crisply, and with no squishy fat blobs.

Oh, I need to look at the ingredient list. Crud.

Does it have any carbs in it? It may not be all turkey if it lists 2 or more carbs.

Definitely read the list of ingredients. So many products have added sugar for flavor or other things to give it the right taste.

When I did low carb, I stayed away from things that had sugar or any of it's counterparts listed as one of the main or first four ingredients. I found it could cause cravings.

I tried turkey bacon just to try it and for some variety. I didn't think it was more salty than regular bacon, but I do prefer low-sodium bacon so I can eat more of it. :D I thought the turkey bacon was ~ok~. Not bad, but not as good as regular/low salt bacon. It wasn't cheaper for me, otherwise I'd get it again.

I used to eat turkey bacon because I don't like the pork taste of real bacon, but I like the smokey salty taste. But I've since discovered beef bacon. :drool5: My DH makes it at work (hutcher e's a butcher) it's beef brisket that has been baconified. LOL. I don't remember the process of turning pork bellies into bacon, but that's what he does, just with brisket.

All the awesome baconiness without any porkiness and without being processed and dyed and formed.

Assuming you actually don't like regular bacon for some reason beef bacon is a better alternative than turkey bacon IMO.

She was telling me the recipe just the other day.She said to have the butcher slice it like bacon (thinish), marinate it in brown sugar and I think liquid smoke, some salt? If low-carb, omit sugar. Can't remember exactly, but you get the picture.

I tried turkey bacon just to try it and for some variety. I didn't think it was more salty than regular bacon, but I do prefer low-sodium bacon so I can eat more of it. :D I thought the turkey bacon was ~ok~. Not bad, but not as good as regular/low salt bacon. It wasn't cheaper for me, otherwise I'd get it again.

It's cheap at Aldi. My kids like it.

It might be cheaper these days. Bacon prices have gone through the roof!

I agree. It's "ok". I don't know that I'd go out of my way for it, but I wouldn't run screaming if it were served to me.

The turkey bacon here is MUCH cheaper, which is why I just recently bought some to try it for a recipe. I bought the Oscar Meyer, and it's not real bacon, but it's not too bad.

Not answering the OP question, but I actually prefer real bacon (nitrate free) for taste, and find it more useful for us. However, I save and use the bacon fat for other baking and cooking, as I cook without dairy and soy.