Moving out of states

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? ;)

I mean, really? :D

Why be coy? :confused:

There have just been not, one, but two recent threads locked not long after people waxed political on the reasons for why they preferred Canada or other places to the U.S.

She's not being coy; she's acknowledging that many of the cultural differences between Canada and the US come across as political in nature, and therefore disallowed on the forum.

So, you really should do your homework first. Americans think that Canada is just like the States. I even thought that. IT IS NOT LIKE THE STATES. I cannot over emphasize that. There is a fundamental difference in the ethos of Canadians that makes them very much NOT like Americans. I didn't truly "get" that until I'd lived here quite a while. Until I did "get it," I didn't understand how Canadians could spot me as American so easily. Thankfully, now no one ever guesses that I used to be American.

There have just been not, one, but two recent threads locked not long after people waxed political on the reasons for why they preferred Canada or other places to the U.S.

She's not being coy; she's acknowledging that many of the cultural differences between Canada and the US come across as political in nature, and therefore disallowed on the forum.

One might define coy as, "Being reluctant to give details especially about something regarded as sensitive."

How hard would it be to say "because I did such-and-such, Canadians could spot me as an American. Thankfully, now no one ever guesses that I used to be AMerican because I now do this-and-that."

I tried to use Audrey's words as much as possible.

Yes, and those discussions were locked down rather rapidly...ie. not nearly as contentious as other threads have been. Therefore, I take that as a sign that the moderators are cracking down on political rhetoric.

That said, I'd really like to have a "just the facts" please discussion of the pros and cons of international living for ex-pats. Every country has good and bad points. None are perfect and what is a good fit for one family may not be a good fit for another. Though many of us have been raised to be "patriotic" about our country of birth, the reality of today's job climate is that this is a global network, global economy, global everything...the next generation is going to have to be internationally minded and flexible.

Every country also has "politics" because where there are humans, there are opinions and agendas, which means POLITICS. Maybe we could keep our discussions germain to the general nuts and bolts of each nation's political structure without too much tension in terms of personal opinion on specific political topics.

Thailand is a constitutional monarchy with a parliamentary democratic system that was taken over by military coup in 2006 though a new constitution was ratified through what appears to be a possible, legitimate referendum. The Thai people really respect their monarch. There have been 17 constitutions since 1932 which means that it has been a bit unstable. This does not appear to be enough of a problem to discourage business growth nor American ex-pats.

It is next to impossible for non-Thai persons to own real estate. It is not a good country for those who would like to start business to emmigrate to as residency visa requirements are strict and the government wants Thai people to own Thai businesses. Work/Residency visas for a job candidate and his/her family are only issued for positions that the company can prove they are unable to hire a Thai citizen with that level of training. Having a degree in teaching English as a second language and adult literacy is one fairly easy way to get into the country as the government has an agenda for the country to be "bi-lingual" or Thai as the official language and English as the business language in order to grow international trade as well as tourism.

The country is dominantly Buddhist with a tiny fraction of Muslim and Christian adherents. The country has beautiful somewhat temperate rainforests/bamboo forests and has a wide variety of lovely animals such red pandas....the red pandas are a special fascination of our youngest boy. The thai people are known for being exceptionally friendly and accepting so long as YOU DO NOT SAY ANYTHING THAT SMACKS OF A JOKE, AN INSULT, A TEASE OF THEIR MONARCHY! They seriously love their king who is getting up there in years and has been on the thrown since 1946.

So, something like the above and then whatever experiences a person has had while visiting or living in that country or from accounts of relatives or very close personal friends...people from whom you have directly conversed on the topic. What has your own research uncovered? What are your questions?

I think this could be beneficial or at least very interesting for a lot of boardies.

Some have mentioned Costa Rica, Belize, etc. Costa Rica is supposed to have good health care, but we need some descriptions, for instances, facts and figures, etc. Toss them out there everyone! Those in the discovery phase of a possible migration are all open ears. :bigear:

Faith

One might define coy as, "Being reluctant to give details especially about something regarded as sensitive."

How hard would it be to say "because I did such-and-such, Canadians could spot me as an American. Thankfully, now no one ever guesses that I used to be AMerican because I now do this-and-that."

It's likely that what stands out about Americans are their viewpoints, the way they express themselves. One example is how many Canadians think of Americans as being motivated by fear, or outright paranoid. This mindset is often linked to certain media, especially right-wing outlets, though the liberal ones do it too.

See, I just got political explaining that. It's a crap shoot now whether that's a big enough offense to have the thread locked.

It's likely that what stands out about Americans are their viewpoints, the way they express themselves. One example is how many Canadians think of Americans as being motivated by fear, or outright paranoid. This mindset is often linked to certain media, especially right-wing outlets, though the liberal ones do it too.

See, I just got political explaining that. It's a crap shoot now whether that's a big enough offense to have the thread locked.

If you are so worried, then you shouldn't have written it.

Edited by unsinkable
paranoia

I previously looked into Costa Rica and was told that owning property or starting a business was next to impossible if you are not a native Tico. I was also told that worker's rights laws so heavily favor workers that even if you manage to own a business legally, you are hard pressed to keep it. The example given was that Ticos showing up looking for work don't actually have to be hired for them to be considered employees. They can just keep showing up during business hours every day, attempting to work, and if you don't pay them they can sue for wages and win. The business owner then not only has to pay them wages but also pay all the court costs and legal fees.

I have visited there, and would love to live there, but dh wants to move somewhere he can open a diner when we retire (or flee, whichever comes first).

Why didn't you just say that American media seems to run on fear and paranoia? That's not political; it's true.

ETA: It makes me laugh that I linked an article from ABC news about terrorists infiltrating US in another thread. I am really paranoid that you picked being paranoid. Oh, that I said I was afraid of terrorists killing people. I am one of those paranoid, fearful "Americans." :lol:

So, how long did that take, one post?:glare: And that's why they get locked.

So, how long did that take, one post?:glare: And that's why they get locked.

What are you talking about?

Rebecca wrote something Rebecca thought would get the thread locked. And I'm the one you're glaring at? That is funny! :lol:

It's like the old joke,"Doc, it hurts every time I do this!"

Doc: "Then stop doing that!"

Rebecca wrote something Rebecca thought would get the thread locked. And I'm the one you're glaring at? That is funny! :lol:

I thought she was agreeing with you.

If you meant your first answer as a joke, then I didn't get it. To me, it came across as mildly offended toward Rebbecca's post. Passive offended.

I thought she was agreeing with you.

No but I'm hoping I just misunderstood her answer.

If you meant your first answer as a joke, then I didn't get it. To me, it came across as mildly offended toward Rebbecca's post. Passive offended.

No but I'm hoping I just misunderstood her answer.

No, I meant it as advice. For real. Like if I think something I am going to post will get a thread locked or deleted, I won't post it. It would be (is) mortifying enough to post something I thought was fine only to fine out it really isn't.

Some people seem to get a thrill out of "getting a thread locked." I am not one of them.

The 2 ETAs were jokes/funny.

Because paranoia and fear are my thing. Really. It's a joke in my house.

No, I meant it as advice. For real. Like if I think something I am going to post will get a thread locked or deleted, I won't post it. It would be (is) mortifying enough to post something I thought was fine only to fine out it really isn't.

Some people seem to get a thrill out of "getting a thread locked." I am not one of them.

The 2 ETAs were jokes/funny.

Because paranoia and fear are my thing. Really. It's a joke in my house.

She didn't post in hopes it would get locked, but she's admitting that the entire subject is tetchy on these boards because people's reactions seem hypersensitive. Though it is a discussion I would love to have. I'm hypersensitive because I want to have it.

Sorry I didn't get the jokes. :001_smile:

She didn't post in hopes it would get locked, but she's admitting that the entire subject is tetchy on these boards because people's reactions seem hypersensitive. Though it is a discussion I would love to have. I'm hypersensitive because I want to have it.

Sorry I didn't get the jokes. :001_smile:

I want to have the discussion too! I think that things can be said in a non-political way (or at least most things).

I have heard the same on Uruguay.... but haven't researched it.

An acquaintance of mine and her husband are moving to Uruguay. They bought property and everything. The health care alone is a reason to consider it IMO

Okay, so I just looked up Costa Rica's labor laws.

It does appear that someone can show up at your place of business and if they attempt to do some sort of legitimate work enough days in a row even if you ask them to leave and even if you never agreed to hire them, they can collect back wages in some circumstance. Apparently, one must be vigilant about making sure "unwanted" job prospects leave the property and having witnesses.

The employer has 8 days to get Social Security filed and the first payment sent. The employer must pay 20% of gross wages into the system and the wager earner must pay 9%. Any new hire is on a 30 day probationary period, but if they work 20 or more of the 30 days and you let them go, the employer must pay a week's severance pay. If they work 90 days or more before termination, they may be eligible for up to a month's severance pay and if they've worked one year, they become eligible for 8 months of severance pay. One must give 1 week's notice to new hires, which means if you don't want to pay severance, you have to notify them of the termination before they reach 20 days so that they are gone before 30 days expires. Employers must give a Christmas bonus of one month's wages to any employee who has worked a year or more...it's prorated according how many weeks the employee has worked prior to attaining one year. Vacation benefits begin accruing at 30 days and any terminations after 30 days requires that the employer pay for accrued vacation time in addition to severance and even possibly Christmas bonus. Additionally, there are more cash/wage benefits that must be paid out to any female who becomes pregnant while she is employed. Even if your pregnant employee does something completely dispicable on the job, you are not to fire her. She has total protection under the law while pregnant and the penalties to employers are stiff....literally, she could be caught stealing (multiple witnesses) from the cash register and you better not fire her. So, that's a little extreme. But, it may have been they had an employment culture in which pregnant women were routinely fired just for expecting even if they were still doing their jobs correctly, so the pendulum swung the other way.

Apparently, the health care is paid out by the social security department. Any employer who misses the 8 day deadline is liable to pay all health bills out-of-pocket if any are accrued before the first payment to social security arrives. Women receive three months maternity leave and one month vacation after birth. Half of the cost is paid by the employer and half by the government.

There is no version of Workman's Comp. There are independent insurance groups that offer liability coverage which is highly recommended.

On the employee end of it, if you have witnesses that verify the employee was careless with property, damaged property even if it was by accident, or hurt someone else (even by accident) it is fairly easy to make a case to the labor ministry for terminating the employee without severance. But, you must make your case to the labor ministry prior to severing the employment relationship.

Wages are controlled by the government. They maintain a list of jobs and you pay according to the chart. Average monthly pay is $500-$800.00 per month. I could not tell if that is supposed to be Costa Rican currency or a U.S. dollar figure. My guess is that is U.S. dollars.

It appears that it is legal to homeschool in CR, but there are government guidelines that must be met. That's about all I've found so far.

Faith

:iagree:

Thailand ....

It was at the Bumrungrad hospital in Bangkok. The standard of service was excellent and all the doctors were Western trained. I'm told that the prices were much cheaper than in the US.

One thing to consider if you are going to live somewhere a long way from home is where you would want to be if you got seriously ill. For example, even if Thailand has great medicine, if I were seriously ill I would probably feel more comfortable in my home country. When we lived overseas, we carried repatriation insurance as part of our medical insurance. This is not cheap, but it means that one can be repatriated if medically necessary. Then you have to think about how to pay for medical care in your own country....

Laura

Thank you Laura, that is very helpful to know.

This is one of the few reasons to remain with Dh's company and go overseas through them. If we needed to come home and if he could continue to work for them in the U.S., our health insurance stateside would begin again so long as we filled out the paperwork before leaving and it would not be subject to pre-existing conditions. Essentially, as an ex-pat, we would have both in country and U.S. coverage. I am not certain that is a perk we would have with any other company.

Good things to think about. Keep them coming!

Faith

I don't think they're being coy. I think they're being honest. I'm going to bet that people would be highly offended where no offense was intended and insults would ensue.

This.

And this.

It wouldn't be hard, but it might end up coming across as impolite when it wouldn't be intended as such. It might also veer into something political, even if it was not intended as such.

Which is exactly why I didn't post it. As per the rules, it's not a discussion for this particular board.

Thank you Laura, that is very helpful to know.

This is one of the few reasons to remain with Dh's company and go overseas through them. If we needed to come home and if he could continue to work for them in the U.S., our health insurance stateside would begin again so long as we filled out the paperwork before leaving and it would not be subject to pre-existing conditions. Essentially, as an ex-pat, we would have both in country and U.S. coverage. I am not certain that is a perk we would have with any other company.

Good things to think about. Keep them coming!

Faith

Along the health care lines. You should check to see what is available to you under the various visas (talking about Canada here). Not all visas entitle you to a provincial health card. One person holding a visa does not necessarily entitle anyone else in the family to anything. So check with the provincial health agency for full info on who and what is covered, co-pays (if any), what constitutes elective services, etc.

Thank you Audrey. We haven't really considered Canada, (insert pouty face), due to the fact that for DH's profession, there doesn't seem to be much of a need. Though, if a job ever picked up in say, New Brunswick, I'd be sort of smiley faced about it because for whatever reason, I have this rugged, romantic view of N.B.!

Currently, with his present employer, he'd have dual health coverage for Chenai, India (not hearing a lot of positive things about this locale though I haven't heard from more than two or three individuals), Bangladesh (another one in which a few posters have been negative and frankly, we haven't researched it much either), Brazil, and Singapore.

Does anyone know what the snake population of Thailand and Malaysia is and how often the nasty, wicked critters stick their evil faces out to greet humans????? I hate and despise snakes to the bottom of my soul (as well as being quite terrified) and so I want to go live in some community in which one does not worry about snakes...even if that means I don't go outdoors that often...I just truly do not want to see a snake, much less think about "what to do if your child is bit by a poisonous one"!!!! I'm afraid to google it because I'm certain that the evil internet will include photos instead of just text...sigh...there is just no tolerance or mercy for snake-o-phobes! LOL

Faith

Well, since you insisted on an example, I took a chance and responded. Normally, the response to that is "thank you," not a "Ha, ha, shouldn't have said it!" when you were the one looking for clarification.

Hmm, I guess I missed both of these. I always miss all the fun :(

They weren't even all that exciting, IMO. There was some mild disagreement and then click, it got locked. Like Faith said, it was a swift death. So, you didn't miss anything.

If a certain someone is ever elected I will be moving to another country. Maybe a country out there will be kind enough to take me in on asylum.

Politics in this country turns my stomach.

That's all I'm sayin.

I didn't know my platform disturbed you that much!

:lol:

So what was it? Inquiring minds want to know.

I think it is best experienced rather than explained. It is hard to see and understand when surrounded by Americans. I find it is best understood when you are surrounded from people different from yourself. So, next time you find yourself in another country take a step back and observe what you see. Maybe something will jump out at you.

Well, I'd like to ask, respectfully, if it would be possible to steer the general conversation back to international migration, travel experiences, living experiences, personal knowledge of other countries, etc. I'm not at all opposed to a "what makes American tourists obnoxious to other cultures" discussion (frankly, we actually have major problems with impoliteness, loudness, and generally obnoxious behavior from members of a certain foreign country that has left a BAD taste concerning that country in the mouths of many locals and that could be a thread with a life all its own). But some of us are with OP and really researching foreign locales for more than a two week vacation - or let it morph...that's a good option too and we can discuss the original idea another day.

Thanks a bunch! Love the hive!!!

Faith

Faith... I just sent you a PM about potential Oracle job opportunities in Nova Scotia. Not sure if it's a fit for you, but I will say it is a really amazing place to live! :D

What's Oracle? I know it's something with computers, but is it really complicated?

What's Oracle? I know it's something with computers, but is it really complicated?

It is a Database programming something or other that has something or other to do with a programming language called Sequel and whatever it does, it seems that it is the back-end of whatever software dh's team is coding and the front end is something called Java which to me is nothing more than the proper name for coffee....clear as mud????

Can you tell that when dh gets all techno-geek on me, I start tuning out to my happy place (a musical heaven in which there are Steinway grands as far as the eye can see and in which I imagine Chopin actually leaning over my shoulder and saying, "Wow, you play me pretty well!")?

Faith

It is a Database programming something or other that has something or other to do with a programming language called Sequel and whatever it does, it seems that it is the back-end of whatever software dh's team is coding and the front end is something called Java which to me is nothing more than the proper name for coffee....clear as mud????

Can you tell that when dh gets all techno-geek on me, I start tuning out to my happy place (a musical heaven in which there are Steinway grands as far as the eye can see and in which I imagine Chopin actually leaning over my shoulder and saying, "Wow, you play me pretty well!")?

Faith

While I'm on the subject of jobs and such... if anyone here is (or is married to) a pastry chef or baker and wants to move to Nova Scotia, let me know and I'll hook you up with my SIL. BIL is a classically trained French pastry chef and they seem to be always looking for qualified staff for their bakery. (We are a family of networkers... can ya tell? lol!)

While I'm on the subject of jobs and such... if anyone here is (or is married to) a pastry chef or baker and wants to move to Nova Scotia, let me know and I'll hook you up with my SIL. BIL is a classically trained French pastry chef and they seem to be always looking for qualified staff for their bakery. (We are a family of networkers... can ya tell? lol!)

:drool: Please tell me that your sil really, really needs a classically trained, chocolate loving pianist as a paid food critic! I'm just certain I can do that job right!!!!!! :D

Faith

In about ten years, my younger dd might be interested!

I previously looked into Costa Rica and was told that owning property or starting a business was next to impossible if you are not a native Tico. I was also told that worker's rights laws so heavily favor workers that even if you manage to own a business legally, you are hard pressed to keep it. The example given was that Ticos showing up looking for work don't actually have to be hired for them to be considered employees. They can just keep showing up during business hours every day, attempting to work, and if you don't pay them they can sue for wages and win. The business owner then not only has to pay them wages but also pay all the court costs and legal fees.

I have visited there, and would love to live there, but dh wants to move somewhere he can open a diner when we retire (or flee, whichever comes first).

I don't know about starting a business, but I've rented homes in Costa Rica from Americans and I've stayed at B&Bs owned by non-Ticos. I don't have an official government source, but numerous web sites agree that foreigners can buy property in Costa Rica.

For the record, the proposed scenario doesn't apply to my or my kids. It was a theoretical question.

I am curious, what other countries have people seriously considered?

We have seriously considered England, Wales, Scotland, France, Mexico, Costa Rica, and Thailand.

If our financial situation stays as it is or improves, I think it likely that we will spend some time living abroad at some point.

Does anyone know what the snake population of Thailand and Malaysia is and how often the nasty, wicked critters stick their evil faces out to greet humans?????

We have more poisonous snakes and other creepy crawlies than anyone else, and I haven't seen a snake in years. I'm sure you'd be quite safe in Thailand or Malaysia.

:D

Rosie

Yikes, Yikes, Yikes, Yikes!!!!!!! Can I spend a few years inside my rented townhouse with me feet drawn up under me while I sit on a high bar stool????????????

Thailand has pythons (this alone is just Freddy Kruegger, Nightmare on Elm Street scary) and the KING COBRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.....WAH, WAH, WAH, WAH, WAH!!!!! My worst fears are realized and they don't just have a few snakes, they have one of the grand daddy bad boys of all snakes. I don't think I could ever take my kids on an educational field trip outside my gated community. Sigh.....

There is something called a water dragon there too. I'd like to think it's something I might want to look at, but I'm afraid to google an image as I'm terrified.

Spiders okay, lizards okay, crocodiles okay, big bugs (I'm not a personal fan but) okay, sharks okay.....snakes, in the immortal words of Harrison Ford, "Why'd it have to be snakes?????"

Will they let me bring a sawed off twelve gauge shot-gun with a scope and a shoulder launch bazooka so I can knock those things off at 100 paces???? Is it hard to immigrate when armed for Iwo Jima? :001_huh:

Faith

We have more poisonous snakes and other creepy crawlies than anyone else, and I haven't seen a snake in years. I'm sure you'd be quite safe in Thailand or Malaysia.

:D

Rosie

Rosie, I appreciate your calm and reassuring tone. I don't think you understand the degree of snake-o-phobia that I live with. I got spooked when the cobra was lost at the Bronx zoo and I'm in Michigan. I had visions of it being able to slither at mach speed. Snakes belong to some sort of union in which they have little meetings to discuss how best to sneak up on me and scare me into a coma! :D

I am sure you are the voice of reason. I probably need some sort of treatment program for my anxiety though I can tell you that I am not signing up for one that involves looking at pictures of snakes. I try very, very hard to avoid all involvement. This is not easy as my middle son feels strongly about becoming a HERPATOLOGIST!!!!!!!!!!

Faith, said while her feet are pulled up under her after noting that Thailand has the King Cobra.

This is not easy as my middle son feels strongly about becoming a HERPATOLOGIST!!!!!!!!!!

Faith, said while her feet are pulled up under her after noting that Thailand has the King Cobra.

Wow, just think of how happy he'd be to move there and what he could bring home :)

*ducks and runs*