Menu

I'm debating grade 'skipping' my DS. Thoughts?

Enough

Some background:

For a variety of reasons, my son entered kindergarten (rigorous, private) at age 6 (he was 6 *exactly* when he started school). I don't regret that decision- for that school environment, it's exactly where he needed to be.

I pulled him out of that school a few months ago, in 2nd grade. He is 8, and we've been planning on starting "3rd grade" this fall, when he turns 9.

Having said that- since getting OUT of the school environment (which, in spite of being 'the best' in the city if not the state, did not work AT ALL for him), he has really blossomed. I have been conservative with him, trying to de-school and boost his confidence, starting him at the very beginning with WWE/SOTW/SM etc and just speeding along double/triple time at his pace, as he's shown me he can do the work.

But now I'm wondering if I should just jump ahead entirely? Or is there value in beginning at the beginning and seeing it all the way through, no skipping? Even if it's drudgery? I don't mind some drudgery/basic skill work;), but I also worry that if it's too easy it will kill his love of learning (because he's not actually *learning* much right now). He was also doing some work in school (e.g. paragraph writing) that he really enjoyed, and we have not continued that so I could adhere to TWTM Borg Plan. :lol: (FWIW, after some initial bumps he has done really well with WWE and narration/summarization has 'clicked' for him- so I'm not worried about sacrificing a basic skill for creative writing.)

Or maybe there is some middle ground here? I was thinking maybe I would give him some end-of-3rd-grade skill tests. I'm fairly certain there would be some areas he would need to work on, but for the most part he would be proficient.

Pros? Cons? I'd love some input!

:D if you've found something he enjoys doing and it's learning then by all means don't stop it (paragraph writing I think) run with it....I think I'd add in some later year 2nd grade stuff and then some 3rd grade stuff.....there's no rule that you have to do everything "BY THE BOOK"....:grouphug: but that's just ME....

Do you mean academically or his grade-label on paper? Academically, meet him where he is - if that means moving a little faster, into fourth grade materials, why not? I think testing him on end-of-third grade skills in certain areas is a fine idea! He's not likely to be in the same place in all subjects, and that's fine too. A custom-fit education is one of the greatest benefits of hs-ing ;)

It doesn't have to be all-or-nothing, too - you might find that in some subjects, he's part-way through the third grade materials - you can test by having him do chapter reviews and the like. Then start teaching where he needs it.

Edited by wapiti

Do you mean academically or his grade-label on paper?

Both! :)

Age-wise, most kids (at least in my neck of the woods) who are not in a super-hardcore-competitive school are going into 4th at age 9 and he's begun to notice that he is 'behind' them. But academically, I am fairly certain (again, may need to do skill testing to confirm) he can do 4th grade work or above in many/most subjects- math is the only subject up in the air right now and I think mainly that is due to the fact that he is doing Singapore, which is radically different from any math he's done before.

I have a child who is working about 2-3 years ahead. I've never felt any need to skip her. She can still do 8th grade level work as a 5th grader.

Unless you plan on putting him back in school someday, I don't see what the advantage would be to skipping him. Just get the books that match his ability level, regardless of what grade they're supposed to be for.

For me, one of the main reasons is college. I have no interest in sending my kids off to live in a dorm when they're 17 (I have two with late summer/early fall birthdays). I'd rather have them at home being educated by me for an extra year. Also, I feel that they have so far benefited from being the oldest in their peer group (Sunday School) rather than the youngest. DD7 actually should be a rising 3rd grader, but since her b-day is at the end of August I have her going into 2nd grade, which is a better fit for her maturity level.

If you are EVER going to skip, do it now. It's hard to justify it later, but easier to hold back if necessary. Have a checkpoint in middle school, because it's easier to do it before high school.

This has been on my mind, too. I'm worried mostly about him going into college at 17... he is an extremely sweet, sensitive boy (heart on his sleeve just like his mama :))... but if I skip him I'd definitely keep checking on him or incorporate a transition/gap year somewhere (which I'm an advocate for anyways, before going into college).

I wouldn't skip the content subjects like history because that may cause confusion if you say, jump from the Crusades to WWII without anything in between. But if he's racing ahead or the stuff you're doing now is too easy for him, by all means accelerate or skip to the point where he's challenged. For example, I don't know whether you're using the WWE workbooks or the main text, but instead of the WB, use the text (which has about 1/4 of the assignments for each workbook) either until he hits a challenge or finishes the material. If he likes creative writing, do it! It was one of my favorite parts of school and would have been bored out of my mind if I hadn't had creative ways to write. (Actually, I was bored out of my mind, but creative writing was one of the few things I found engaging.)

If you're undecided, give him the 3rd grade CAT or ITBS and if he passes with decent scores, call him 4th grade and you have proof if for some reason he has to go back to school or if someone questions you, which they inevitably will.

I would keep him in 3rd grade officially but use whatever level material is appropriate. Boys tend to lag girls in terms of maturity and this is particularly true in adolescence. I know a lot of young-for-grade boys who were fine through elementary only to run into problems in 6th or 9th grade because they lacked the maturity needed to start middle or high school.

Better to give him the "wiggle room" of an extra year now while still challenging him academically. That's what I'm doing with my November birthday DS. For the purposes of our cover school, he's repeating Kindergarten but in terms of academics he'll be continuing on with 1st grade math (Right Start B & Singapore 1B) and 2nd grade LA (AAS 2, FLL 2).

I'd have no problem placing a 9-yr old who's doing well in the 4th grade, as long as he is pretty strong in math - - 3rd and 4th grade are both "big" years in math. It's fine if it takes more than one year to get fully on track with the new grade level, you just don't want him perpetually struggling.

I'd skip him, and match him up to the more commonly used age suggestions. I never tried to teach a male 18 year old senior at home, and wouldn't ever want to!

My oldest started kindergarten a few days before he turned 6. It was great for school, but he skipped 8th grade when we started homeschooling, and started right away with a general high school diploma and then entered the local junior college just before he turned 17. He ended graduating junior college at the same age he would have graduated high school.

My younger son was "gifted". It did not work at all to assign grade level by curriculum being used.

In most cases I recommend using traditional age/grade labeling allowing a child to graduate soon after turning 18, and then use whatever curriculum is working at the time, no matter what the cover says. If a child is socially precocious, than early entrance in a junior college is a good fit.

So in summary I believe in tradition kindergarten/5 LABELING, using whatever curriculum works despite it's title and cover, and placement in college by SOCIAL readiness. I think it's better to have an 18 year old at a junior college, than at home trying to prepare for a selective school at 19.

Do you want him to graduate a year earlier? That's the first question that comes to my mind if you're wanting to grade skip him on paper (and I'd be ok with doing so in this case since age-wise, it sounds like he was supposed to be in the higher grade and he was "red shirted" for social and/or maturity reasons at the time, correct?).

As far as what level materials to use... Use the level that is appropriate for him. It doesn't have to have a 3 or even a 4 on it. Just meet him where he's at. My son is doing "second grade", but most of his curriculum is 3rd grade level, and one will be 4th grade level in a few weeks. He's still 2nd grade. He will graduate after 12th grade, and will likely have a good bit of college credit under his belt by that point. No need to be boxed in by a certain grade level. I'm following WTM fairly closely, but no where in the WTM do I read to hold a kid back because they aren't the right grade level. ;) I think of WTM as a path to follow. Some kids will go through WWE quicker than others. Some very young kids are capable of doing WWE3 and WWE4 (I'm talking 5-6 year olds here - obviously gifted in language). There's no reason to hold them back and make them do WWE1 if they're ready for WWE4. It's a process, and WWE is not grade levels. If your child is ready to move up to the next level, by all means, move him up! :D

I have a child who is working about 2-3 years ahead. I've never felt any need to skip her. She can still do 8th grade level work as a 5th grader.

Unless you plan on putting him back in school someday, I don't see what the advantage would be to skipping him. Just get the books that match his ability level, regardless of what grade they're supposed to be for.

For me, one of the main reasons is college. I have no interest in sending my kids off to live in a dorm when they're 17 (I have two with late summer/early fall birthdays). I'd rather have them at home being educated by me for an extra year. Also, I feel that they have so far benefited from being the oldest in their peer group (Sunday School) rather than the youngest. DD7 actually should be a rising 3rd grader, but since her b-day is at the end of August I have her going into 2nd grade, which is a better fit for her maturity level.

Thank you for your thoughts- I totally get all of this. College is my main concern, too. But being the oldest in his peer group in church/sports activities has actually been difficult for him- he does better (behavior-wise) when he's with kids his age or best, when they're older. So, hmm. I wish this was black and white for me! :tongue_smilie:

But the two are not mutually exclusive.

I have a friend whose daughter homeschooled and finished high school at age 15. She entered the local community college at 16 and spent 5 years there. Then she went on to the university, superbly and broadly prepared.

Age-wise, most kids (at least in my neck of the woods) who are not in a super-hardcore-competitive school are going into 4th at age 9 and he's begun to notice that he is 'behind' them. But academically, I am fairly certain (again, may need to do skill testing to confirm) he can do 4th grade work or above in many/most subjects- math is the only subject up in the air right now and I think mainly that is due to the fact that he is doing Singapore, which is radically different from any math he's done before.

In that case, I'd put his grade on paper as what he'd be if he were in the local school system. In most places, that would be starting 4th grade at 9 y.o. So I wouldn't look at it as a grade skip, but rather putting him back in the grade he was supposed to be, since he was held back in K and now he has caught up ;).

This has been on my mind, too. I'm worried mostly about him going into college at 17... he is an extremely sweet, sensitive boy (heart on his sleeve just like his mama :))... but if I skip him I'd definitely keep checking on him or incorporate a transition/gap year somewhere (which I'm an advocate for anyways, before going into college).

But wouldn't he be turning 18 around the first week or two of college? I don't think that's unusual.

I say let him be fourth grade whenever you have to put a grade-level label on him. It will be much easier to do it now than later.

Your story isn't a tragic one :001_smile: but it is why I *so* strongly believe in going along with state cut-off dates to determine grade-level placements, even for homeschoolers. I have heard your exact story multiple times. That some people skip/hold back their children and don't regret it, doesn't matter to me; I have known of enough people who did have issues to convince me just to play the game.

Which has nothing to do with academics, of course.

But wouldn't he be turning 18 around the first week or two of college? I don't think that's unusual.

wapiti, I had to go count on my fingers to check my math! :lol: You're right, he would be 18. I need some math remediation. :tongue_smilie:

Do you want him to graduate a year earlier? That's the first question that comes to my mind if you're wanting to grade skip him on paper (and I'd be ok with doing so in this case since age-wise, it sounds like he was supposed to be in the higher grade and he was "red shirted" for social and/or maturity reasons at the time, correct?).

I'm actually not thinking too much about graduation/college (and in light of my math errors :tongue_smilie:, that may not be an issue at all!), more thinking about meeting his needs now.

And yes- academically, he would have been more than fine to start K at 5. Social/maturity/sensory-processing-wise, not so much! But homeschooling- and the individualization and attention I am able to give him- seems to have eliminated these issues... or at least, I can work with/around them rather than them being 'dysfunctions' in the traditional school setting.

When asked, I assign the kids a grade according to age. However, they work at whatever level they are capable in each subject -- one of the chief benefits of homeschooling.

I did the same thing with my ds who turned 9 on May 28th. He is a REALLY little guy and socially he wasn't ready for k-garten. I also wanted himi to have a chance to be a leader with his peers vs a follower.

Here we are starting HS and he has mentioned he wants to do "4th" grade. I haven't decided what to do but for now, since this is our first year of HS'ing I'm not really worrying about it. We can figure it out next year or the year after (some time before high school). We have so many adjustments right now.

Just wanted to share that I can relate.

Basically, in Homeschooling, there is no such thing as "skipping" a grade, unless you plan to put him back into the public school system.

A child works at whatever academic level he is ready to work at, doesn't he? Holding a child back academically artificially just creates anger and frustration, and there is no purpose for doing so. And what is there to skip? Skip basic skills? If he has them, you don't need to cover them again. If he doesn't have them, you aren't going to skip them. You are going to place a child at the level where he is ready to learn and move on.

In a skill subject such as writing, math, or science, there is no problem-- you cannot possibly "run out" of topics to teach. You simply branch out into more specialized topics. There is no need to "slow a child down." I would not advocate letting a 10 year old begin algebra, but you can study probability, money, statistics, computer programming, and all kinds of related topics that are fascinating and will reinforce the basic skills prior to beginning algebra. If the child completes 2 years of calculus, that doesn't mean you have to ship them off to University at age 16. There are diverse advanced mathematical topics that can also easily be explored during the teen years as well. You cannot "run out" of math. Same for science, literature, and writing.

For "content" topics such as history, literature, and such, again, the concept of skipping is a non-starter. You can study the topic appropriate to your schedule at the child's maturity level. You will not (you CAN not) run out of topics to study. You can always, always, pick a topic to explore more in-depth if necessary. This can also be done with science.

Have no fears about allowing an advanced or gifted child to pursue the ends of the rainbow. It will not require him to leave the nest early if that is not what is psychologically or socially appropriate for him. There is no such thing as running out of things to study at home-- the topics we can cover are literally limitless.

You can be a "third grader" and open up a 5th grade math book, study physics, read Shakespeare, and immerse yourself in the ancients, and still use TWTM as a guideline. It really does work. Even SWB does not advocate using TWTM as a millstone, locking out all parental discretion and creativity, or to stifle an advanced child. As the parent teacher, you get to call the shots. (I actually attended a PUBLIC school, back in the early 70's, that was designed this way. It was heaven.)

But "grades" in HS, really, are only on paper, or for transcript purposes as they approach college age, when you are thinking about graduation.

*NB : I do, however, keep records and work portfolios. My state does not require these records. I keep them anyway. I think terms of two possibities, both hopefully longshots. #1: Something horrifying happens to myself or my husband, or both, and I am forced to place my children back in PS, even temporarily, until I (or he) can figure out how to juggle single parenting (or rehabbing if there should be an accident) and HS'ing again. I'll have records to back up my kids in terms of appropriate grade placement. #2: Although as a University professor, my husband has a stable job, I have learned to never say never. If we should suddenly move to another state with different requirements, I'll be prepared with any documentation we require and not have to scramble for it.

I say let him be fourth grade whenever you have to put a grade-level label on him. It will be much easier to do it now than later.

Your story isn't a tragic one :001_smile: but it is why I *so* strongly believe in going along with state cut-off dates to determine grade-level placements, even for homeschoolers. I have heard your exact story multiple times. That some people skip/hold back their children and don't regret it, doesn't matter to me; I have known of enough people who did have issues to convince me just to play the game.

Which has nothing to do with academics, of course.

:iagree::iagree:

Knight him "a fourth grader". :D We started in the public school system, so my kids are officially the grade level they would be if they were in school. So, my 9 yro is in 4th grade.

You know and I know that this doesn't really mean anything for homeschooling. :tongue_smilie: For kids tho, this is part of their identity when they're around other kids. My kids are always being asked, "What grade are you in?" From what I've seen...for boys...it's a boost of confidence (strangely enough). My son was proudly telling the lady who cut his hair today that he was a "third grader now". Lol.

In most places, that would be starting 4th grade at 9 y.o. So I wouldn't look at it as a grade skip, but rather putting him back in the grade he was supposed to be, since he was held back in K and now he has caught up ;).

No, most fall & summer birthday kids would be entering 3rd grade at just-turned-9 or not-quite-9 as most districts these days have a cutoff somewhere between June 1st and September 1st. California was unusual in retaining a December 2nd cutoff for so long, but even they are changing it to September 1st in 2014.

I've even heard of spring birthday kids being "redshirted", which to me seems nuts but if the cutoff is June, I guess the parents don't want their child to be the youngest in the class.

Basically, in Homeschooling, there is no such thing as "skipping" a grade, unless you plan to put him back into the public school system.

A child works at whatever academic level he is ready to work at, doesn't he? Holding a child back academically artificially just creates anger and frustration, and there is no purpose for doing so. And what is there to skip? Skip basic skills? If he has them, you don't need to cover them again. If he doesn't have them, you aren't going to skip them. You are going to place a child at the level where he is ready to learn and move on.

In a skill subject such as writing, math, or science, there is no problem-- you cannot possibly "run out" of topics to teach. You simply branch out into more specialized topics. There is no need to "slow a child down." I would not advocate letting a 10 year old begin algebra, but you can study probability, money, statistics, computer programming, and all kinds of related topics that are fascinating and will reinforce the basic skills prior to beginning algebra. If the child completes 2 years of calculus, that doesn't mean you have to ship them off to University at age 16. There are diverse advanced mathematical topics that can also easily be explored during the teen years as well. You cannot "run out" of math. Same for science, literature, and writing.

For "content" topics such as history, literature, and such, again, the concept of skipping is a non-starter. You can study the topic appropriate to your schedule at the child's maturity level. You will not (you CAN not) run out of topics to study. You can always, always, pick a topic to explore more in-depth if necessary. This can also be done with science.

Have no fears about allowing an advanced or gifted child to pursue the ends of the rainbow. It will not require him to leave the nest early if that is not what is psychologically or socially appropriate for him. There is no such thing as running out of things to study at home-- the topics we can cover are literally limitless.

You can be a "third grader" and open up a 5th grade math book, study physics, read Shakespeare, and immerse yourself in the ancients, and still use TWTM as a guideline. It really does work. Even SWB does not advocate using TWTM as a millstone, locking out all parental discretion and creativity, or to stifle an advanced child. As the parent teacher, you get to call the shots. (I actually attended a PUBLIC school, back in the early 70's, that was designed this way. It was heaven.)

But "grades" in HS, really, are only on paper, or for transcript purposes as they approach college age, when you are thinking about graduation.

*NB : I do, however, keep records and work portfolios. My state does not require these records. I keep them anyway. I think terms of two possibities, both hopefully longshots. #1: Something horrifying happens to myself or my husband, or both, and I am forced to place my children back in PS, even temporarily, until I (or he) can figure out how to juggle single parenting (or rehabbing if there should be an accident) and HS'ing again. I'll have records to back up my kids in terms of appropriate grade placement. #2: Although as a University professor, my husband has a stable job, I have learned to never say never. If we should suddenly move to another state with different requirements, I'll be prepared with any documentation we require and not have to scramble for it.

Thank you (and everyone else who said similar things, much less bluntly :lol: ) for the kick in the pants. I'm still thinking very school-y, aren't I?

Here 4th graders are almost all 10 so it does depend. I would move with him academically but keep his 'grade' the same. Especially if he has peers from his old school he is friends with.

No, most fall & summer birthday kids would be entering 3rd grade at just-turned-9 or not-quite-9 as most districts these days have a cutoff somewhere between June 1st and September 1st. California was unusual in retaining a December 2nd cutoff for so long, but even they are changing it to September 1st in 2014.

I've even heard of spring birthday kids being "redshirted", which to me seems nuts but if the cutoff is June, I guess the parents don't want their child to be the youngest in the class.

Can you explain the bolded part? Are kids in other states not encouraged to go into K at age 5 (in which case they would turn 9 for 4th grade)? Virtually all of the PS kids where I live go into K as 5 year olds- and most of DS's friends are PS kids, making his current grade designation a bit of a social issue.

I'm not really interested in starting a debate about when kids should go into K :tongue_smilie:, but I think that as long as the educational pushdown continues there are VERY valid reasons for "red shirting" a child going into public or private/traditional school. It does seem silly to talk about this WRT homeschooling, but for building school- totally different ball of wax.

I'm just the opposite. My daughter started K as the youngest in her class (she wasn't even 5 yet), and now that she's finished 5th grade, while she's done well with most of it, a few times I've thought she'd have gotten more out of her reading and writing assignments and could have been working more independently on some things if she'd had that extra year to grow and age and mature and so on earlier on.

And I think that will be even more the case going into junior high and high school years.

So I've decided that over the next two school years, I'm going to stretch 6th grade out over a two year period and get her back to the age level she'd have been if I'd waited that extra year before starting K.

I think this will also have the benefit of not having her graduate too young- I'd rather her have the extra year of age/maturity etc there, too!

So MY opinion is no, don't grade skip. Just leave him in the grade he's in and do whatever type of work that suits him.

Are kids in other states not encouraged to go into K at age 5 (in which case they would turn 9 for 4th grade)?

We went to ps in MO and they start K at 5. I think the cut-off was...I wanna say June? So, my son was 4 when we took him up to the school for Kindergarten registration and he was 5 when it officially started.

:iagree: This was all exactly what I was going to say.

If anyone is interested, because we have the same dilemma here, there is a N.Y. Times chart showing the K cutoffs in all the different states and how the cutoff dates have changed since the 1970s. Interesting!

K Cutoff chart

Thank you!

I cannot imagine sending my 4 1/2 year to K, *especially* since full day K is becoming much more common. :001_huh:

Can you explain the bolded part? Are kids in other states not encouraged to go into K at age 5 (in which case they would turn 9 for 4th grade)?

In a lot of districts, if the child isn't 5 on the very first day of Kindergarten (or even earlier in the summer), then he/she cannot start school until the following year when he/she is not-quite-6 or just-turned-6.

And even where the child legally makes the cutoff, a lot of parents will still "redshirt" if the birthday is within a month or two of the cutoff date. This is particularly true with boys.

They have changed the dates and also upped the expectations for kindergarteners. It's just crazy, since these changes cancel each other out in the short term, and seem to have no lasting effect on the long term.

It's not good to have a bunch of 18 year old men still stuck in highschool. It's time for them to move on with their lives. Yes, the world is a more complicated place that they need more skills to enter, but...highschool isn't the right holding place for men, biologically speaking.

It's not good to have a bunch of 18 year old men still stuck in highschool. It's time for them to move on with their lives. Yes, the world is a more complicated place that they need more skills to enter, but...highschool isn't the right holding place for men, biologically speaking.

I had been in the army for a year at 18. I could not even imagine doing another year of high school. :eek: You're right, tho. The expectations are getting weirder and weirder.

Thank you for your thoughts- I totally get all of this. College is my main concern, too.:tongue_smilie:

I'm actually not thinking too much about graduation/college (and in light of my math errors :tongue_smilie:, that may not be an issue at all!), more thinking about meeting his needs now.

g.

:confused:

You seem a bit unclear on what your concerns are. To meet his needs now, use materials that are at his level, regardless of grade level.

Also, he doesn't seem old for a rising 3rd grader. With a late summer/early fall b-day, he's one of the older ones, but somebody always is. If you really want to grade skip him, you need to think about how he'll do as the very youngest, as well as some long term planning and some "what if" planning.

Will he return to school at some point? If so, what if it's 6th or 7th grade? Do you want him to be youngest or oldest in that situation? Is he at all interested in sports? Being oldest might make him faster, stronger, more skilled. Being youngest might mean he won't be competitive against older kids, or might not make the cut at tryouts. What about high school? Do you want him to be first or last to get his license?

There are many many issues that are totally non-academic that come into play with a grade skip. If meeting his needs academically right now is your primary concern, than buy materials at his level, and keep calling him the grade level he would be in if he had remained in school. As someone else mentioned, you won't run out of things to learn about.

What if you call him a higher grade now, and then discover in 5 years that he would fit better in the lower grade? How would he feel?

Another idea might be to tell him that he is a 3rd grader, but he's working on 4th grade math and LA. Depending on personality, he might really like that!