Menu

What are your goals for geography knowledge?

Night Elf

Just curious. I love physical geography but am not so interested in human geography. Because I love the physical aspect so much, I've tried a few geography programs and nothing seems great. So then I started wondering just what my kids should really know within this subject by the time they leave home. They know the continents and oceans. They know the locations of the more popular countries (that we hear in the news alot). They know the capitals of all the U.S. states. They know the major mountain regions in the world, and some of the big rivers. They understand geography terms like atoll, island, bay, etc. Oh, and they know how to read a map, and plot locations with longitude and latitude.

So what's next really?

I think that sounds great. I think of geographical knowledge in the context of history. When they hear "Alps" do they not only know the location, but remember that Hannibal crossed them with elephants to attack Rome? Do they know how various physical barriers effected political developments? How was the Mississippi River important in our nation's development? Why was it significant that Grant captured Vicksburg during the Civil War?

I'm sure there are more important things than this, but these were examples that came to mind.

For now, I'd like my kids to be able to know where just about all the countries of the world are located as well as develop some cultural awareness. They are 6 and 8. I don't know if I'll increase my geography goals in the future.

Lisa

Make sure your kids know that CANBERRA is the capital of Australia, not Sydney! That is, if we are important enough to be included ;)

I have found myself caring little about physical geography and wondering if I should. I think I'll be content if they learn the countries of the world (which continent, at the very least) and most of the capital cities. The Australian states and major cities, obviously. How to read maps. I guess I'll provide more if any of them ask...

Rosie

Too funny that you should mention the capital of Australia. We are studying Australia this week w/ MFW. On Monday I had to look up what the capital of Australia was 'cause I thought it was Sydney and the map was saying Canberra(never heard of that). At bedtime tonight we were reading a book about Australia and I said I was so happy the kids learned the capital of Australia at such young ages. It took me almost 50 years to learn that. You learn something new everyday.

Make sure your kids know that CANBERRA is the capital of Australia, not Sydney! That is, if we are important enough to be included ;)

I have found myself caring little about physical geography and wondering if I should. I think I'll be content if they learn the countries of the world (which continent, at the very least) and most of the capital cities. The Australian states and major cities, obviously. How to read maps. I guess I'll provide more if any of them ask...

Rosie

I agree with you on the physical geography. To me it is important that she know where the animals in the zoo really live, that there are many that are not in the zoo, and that there are a variety of different looking people, and where they are from, and that not everyone lives the same way we do.

I agree with Lynn! I think that geography is important in its application. Giving geography context helps in the learning and retaining of the facts. We study geography formally, but we also keep a large world map at the table and whenever we read something we locate it on the map. If a missionary newsletter or magazine comes, we find the location. In history, we make historical atlases. My children have become quite savvy these days with the general application of geography in everyday and school topics.

Pam

I agree with you on the physical geography. To me it is important that she know where the animals in the zoo really live, that there are many that are not in the zoo, and that there are a variety of different looking people, and where they are from, and that not everyone lives the same way we do.

That's a really interesting point. I'm far more interested in people, so I hadn't thought about animals like that. As far as I know "Leo the Lion is the King of the Savannah" not the jungle. Funny the connections we don't make! It would be automatic for me to reach for an atlas to show where a country was, or a culture group. It wouldn't occur to me to do the same for an animal. Maybe I don't know enough about the animals to do that.

Hmm.

:)

Rosie

P.S. Canberra is one of those places no one likes because they had to go there on school camp. I never did, so I quite like it. It has the national museum of everything and most are free! Great place to visit, if you like museums, that is. Most inhabitants are public servants; the politicians all live elsewhere, and only show up when they have to.

physical geography is very important to me. I am just floored by the lack of basic geographic knowledge that most high schoolers and people in general have. So one of my main goals is that my kids (and dh and I) will have extensive physical geographic knowledge. I also want them to have a good grasp of cultural geographic knowledge - recognizing famous (and not so famous) landmarks, people and leaders.............I've never really thought about the animal aspect either, but I think that is a good thing to know, as well.

My not-yet-well-formulated plan is as follows:

Continents and major oceans

Countries and capitals

Mountains and Rivers and deserts

Major cities and landmarks

Smaller aspects of physical geography

language centers

and in later years natural resources, major exports, interior political and ethnic divisions in other countries etc.

Of course we plan on learning US states and capitals as well.

We also study geography as it relates to our history studies.

That is the rough outline but we are still in phase 2.

I love how dd is gathering geographic information thru her history studies, but I also want to be more intentional.

One of the biggest gaps I've seen is in the geography of Africa. So many people actually think it's a country, not a continent! Appalling, really.

I think physical geography plays such a huge role in history that it's important to know. I did Runkles with my eldest, and was pleased he learned ALL the countries and most of the capitals, as well as most landforms, mountain ranges, etc. I just think it's part of being an educated person. Now I've got to go crack that book myself!:D

I love geography, in general & think knowledge of all aspects are important. (When I was a kid, I used to think the coolest job in the world would be as a mapmaker or explorer for Nat'l Geographic.) I don't have a specific plan in place (hmmm, maybe I need to do that), but I do want my dc to have a strong knowledge of physical, political, & cultural geography. They're so intertwined that it's hard to separate them, imo.

On a separate level, I want them to be able to get in a car, or on a bike, or on foot & be able to figure out how to get from point A to point B (and beyond) by using a plain, old-fashioned map (the paper kind, lol) vs. the talking map systems in cars. Or to be able to feel comfortable w/out a map in trying to find their way, using the world around them for clues. I would like for them to end up w/ the attitude that if they take a wrong turn or are lost, they're not really lost, just finding a different route. Kwim?

So, I guess I basically want them to find reading/looking at maps fun & interesting, feel comfortable finding their way somewhere, and feel comfortable as a world citizen w/ knowledge of other places, political situations, & cultures; I want them to have the desire to always learn more about lesser known/unknown places & peoples -- to find the awe in wonder on this fabulous planet we all inhabit.

Here's an alternate view... I prefer to look at geography as it impacts society and history. I think that the child will remember better the history of an area if they understand that a particular mountain range made attack from the north difficult, or if another feature made them more vulnerable, or if they understood better why certain crops were better suited for that climate, etc.

You have to start with knowing the names of the major geographic features, but from there, you study why they are important to the region. Reminds me of the Holling C. Holling books... study the mississippi river, etc.

HTH

Robin

Here's an alternate view... I prefer to look at geography as it impacts society and history. I think that the child will remember better the history of an area if they understand that a particular mountain range made attack from the north difficult, or if another feature made them more vulnerable, or if they understood better why certain crops were better suited for that climate, etc.

:iagree:

This is a huge area of emphasis in higher level history and only by understanding the related geography will you understand some areas of history.

:001_huh: Lol! Yes, this is me saying this.

I just want it to be integral, don't get me wrong I do want them to learn physical and human geography including these topics:

Human Geography

Population

Settlements

Economic Activities

Transportation

Recreational Activities

Religion

Political Systems

Social Traditions

Human Migration

Agricultural Systems

Urban Systems

Physical Geography

Rocks and Minerals

Landforms

Soils

Animals

Plants

Water

Atmosphere

Rivers and Other Water Bodies

Environment

Climate and Weather

Oceans

and I have a focus on geography in both history, science and literature as well as real life. I also want them learn about cartography as it interests them. Geography plays a major role in our homeschool and I can't see it ever ending. For 3rd grade, we're going to read Jane Andrew's The Seven Sisters (Float on a Ball in the Air) which is a literary geography read. We'll have at least one of these a year if not more.

Hth

I guess I've always thought geography would come naturally as part of history studies. Everyone seems to talk about mapwork in relation to SOTW (which I haven't seen yet, dd is too young.) After SOTW I was thinking of History Oddessy. So, you geography buffs don't feel enough geography is included in those programs? I'd like to use a geography program, so you've all convinced me, but I haven't seen many I like the look of. Are there any K-12 programs? Is there that many years worth of geography to learn? The Runkles geography does look good. Does that cover everything you (collective) think they ought to know? Should it be followed up with something else? This maybe? http://www.amazon.com/Geography-Study-Guide-Regions-Concepts/dp/0471739081/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211444856&sr=1-1 I intend to buy the True Books- Continents series by David Peters for the kids before we start the history cycle. I guess I'm finding it hard to figure out progression. Does one program cover everything neccessary? Or do I need to use a couple over the course of their education, and what order are they supposed to go in? I found a funky series on the biography of certain crops. I guess that's geography too.

:)

Rosie- you've all got me thinking!

On a separate level, I want them to be able to get in a car, or on a bike, or on foot & be able to figure out how to get from point A to point B (and beyond) by using a plain, old-fashioned map (the paper kind, lol) vs. the talking map systems in cars. Or to be able to feel comfortable w/out a map in trying to find their way, using the world around them for clues. I would like for them to end up w/ the attitude that if they take a wrong turn or are lost, they're not really lost, just finding a different route.
:iagree::iagree: It drives me bonkers when people can't read a map. My MIL couldn't read one to save her life and she still tries to be the navigator :banghead:

Everyone seems to talk about mapwork in relation to SOTW (which I haven't seen yet, dd is too young.) After SOTW I was thinking of History Oddessy. So, you geography buffs don't feel enough geography is included in those programs?

We're only in SOTW 1, and they have maps and mapwork, but not really specific geography, or spending extensive time on it. I do the mapwork - have the kids identify places, but then I print out other maps and activities from the internet to go over it again and again for it to stick, and they do a globe game we have, and the geosafari. Next year we're going to try Trail Guide to World Geography for a more comprehensive geography program.

I think that geography is important as well, and that Trivium gives a good overview.

My goal is that my kids have the basis for understanding current events, literature, news, etc. Geography is one of the pegs upon which we hang later learning and everyday experiences. How many people didn't know where Myanmar was, or that it had been called Burma? I think geography is just part of good "general knowledge".

My dh and I want our kids to know as much as they can about Geography! We do like some of the others and look up where the stories we read and hear are located. My oldest, ds16 (oops, actually he turned 17 yesterday!!!), asks for World Almanacs every year, then spends time poring through them comparing sizes of city's in the world, and all sorts of other info. He can point out where most anything is on a map, and knows the flags of most countries when he sees them! My ds14 knows a lot too. He reads a LOT and knows a lot of facts about different places and wars that happened, and where and when, and can point those places out. They both like soccer, and know where the teams are from, etc. My dd11 is not interested in wars or sports much, though she benefits when we talk about missions and things and point them out. This year I am using a mixture of Mapping the World By Heart, Trail Guide to US History and Geography Through Art to get her going. Well, actually, she knows some from SOTW, and from a project we did.

Here's another idea to learn geography: We sent a stuffed animal around to interested people, had them take it to points of interest in their area and take pictures, stick those and any brochures they wanted to, in a large Binder I sent along with it. I had a list of people, and each person would send it on to the next one. It took 8 months, but we got it back! We plotted it's course as it traveled around the US and Canada, and marked it on a large wall map. We also studied about each state he went to, found the capital, state motto and flower and flag. We colored those and added them to a notebook each child made. They were ages 6, 9 and 12, so each one did a little deeper/broader work. It was really fun, and very exciting when they got the stuffed animal back! Someone who knew someone who knew someone...called the local newspaper, who called me, and they did a feature story on the traveling pooch and the HOMESCHOOLED kids that did the neat geography project! So it was a great experience over all!