Menu

AAS dream

deannajo

wouldn't it be nice if there were an ipad app for the All About Spelling letter tiles? So the kids could move them around on the ipad rather than either getting magnets and a big board for them or setting them up each time?

Just sharing my dreams for this upcoming school year :lol:

oh and I thought a great feature would be if you could make multiple "accounts" for your children and could then pick which phonograms/syllable tags etc that would show up on the screen, like the way you're supposed to only put them on the magnetic board as they learn them.

I'm going to post this on the AAS forums, for mulling over. I hope you don't mind.

Edited by nukeswife

What a great idea! It seems easy enough to create. Have you suggested that to AAS?

I just thought of it last night :D And I agree, if you could set it up for different students depending on what tiles they needed for their lessons, and just leave it that way for the next lesson.

Oooh, it would be SO nice :w00t:

What about magnabet. It is just magnetic letters, so it would not be exactly the same. But it might be worth a try. It is not babyish at all. I hate building words with the AAS tiles because after every word, you have to reorganize everything. I'm kind of impatient.:lol: With this app, you just hit a button to wipe clean and then start over. I just downloaded it today, so we'll see how it goes.

Paula

My son just finished a week app making camp. I will talk to him about how hard it would be to make... I love the idea of the tiles, but the reality is that those little guys get lost.

Ooh keep us posted!

I'll check out Magnabet too - but it doesn't have the blends, etc. does it? But I can see it being useful! Thanks!

There are already several "movable alphabet" apps, which have letters but not the phonograms.

It seems to me that such an app wouldn't have to be tied to AAS. You can make it a basic movable alphabet app with options for tile colors and different phonograms - they aren't patented or anything. That way you could get the AAS crowd, the SWR crowd, the WRTR crowd, probably even the Montessori crowd.

And with any app, I think the cheaper the better - more people will buy a $1 or $2 app, and it makes up for the loss in revenue versus charging more.

It seems to me that such an app wouldn't have to be tied to AAS. You can make it a basic movable alphabet app with options for tile colors and different phonograms - they aren't patented or anything. That way you could get the AAS crowd, the SWR crowd, the WRTR crowd, probably even the Montessori crowd.

This is what I was thinking. I use PR, but I think it has the same phonograms as AAS.

Yeah, I'd pay for it too. In a heartbeat. $1 or $2 would be nice, but I'd pay $5 without pause. Since I use the tiles so much and plan to use this curriculum for many years, I'd even go higher if I had to, but I think much higher might scare off customers...especially non AAS users.

So you guys think you can have this ready for me by August? :lol:

I love this idea too, but...

I seem to notice a difference in learning when it's digital versus an actual object to touch and move. My husband has researched a little about this for his English PhD and there is a difference in comprehension between real books and digital books. The screen refresh has something to do with it.

I really hate having to worry about losing all the tiles and reorganizing them, but I wonder what the downsides are to using digital letter tiles, both in the physical touch (like if your child is kinesthetic) and also if you just click to clear the word then the student isn't learning to file the letters back in alphabetical order like the program says to help with a visual order of the alphabet.

Not trying to be a party-ruiner :) just some slight concerns that have been going through my mind after reading this thread last week.

I seem to notice a difference in learning when it's digital versus an actual object to touch and move. My husband has researched a little about this for his English PhD and there is a difference in comprehension between real books and digital books. The screen refresh has something to do with it.

I really hate having to worry about losing all the tiles and reorganizing them, but I wonder what the downsides are to using digital letter tiles, both in the physical touch (like if your child is kinesthetic) and also if you just click to clear the word then the student isn't learning to file the letters back in alphabetical order like the program says to help with a visual order of the alphabet.

Not trying to be a party-ruiner :) just some slight concerns that have been going through my mind after reading this thread last week.

I thought about this part and thought that it would be nice if it worked just like a white board. When you're done spelling you put the tiles back (drag them back).

There is a big difference in my thought processes between handwriting and typing. If I am trying to sort my thoughts out I definitely need to handwrite.

I agree and think that instead of being something to replace the magnetic tiles, it would be something to bring yet another element of learning. My kids love computer/digital learning so we would throw it in every few days to "mix it up"

That was one of my thoughts too. I'm loving that my kids have become so comfortable with alphabetical order using this program, but that's only happened because they're constantly having to put the tiles back in order. I wondered about maybe having a setting somewhere that the parent could switch where you could set it to make the kids put the tiles back OR to have a button that automatically returns them.

The other thing I wonder about is whether an ipad screen is really even big enough to do the AAS process well enough. How small would the tiles even have to be to line up the whole alphabet across the top of the screen?