Menu

Dd just got accepted at her 1st choice school

She is absolutely elated. She had been on the waiting-list and had called and written them a very nice letter and just received a personal call that she got accepted. Wellesley college has always been the place she wanted to go so she is beyond elated. They told her they'll be giving her a competitive financial package as she had told them she got a really nice scholarship to BU and that she had to be rational about where she was going due to her family size etc.!!!

Congrats, Nadia. My oldest just completed her first year college. She struggled through the year but maintained her Honors Program status while working part-time on campus. We told her, "The year you've just completed will likely be the hardest year you will have to do for college."

I wish your dd all the success during her first year. She will do well, no doubt.

She is absolutely elated. She had been on the waiting-list and had called and written them a very nice letter and just received a personal call that she got accepted. Wellesley college has always been the place she wanted to go so she is beyond elated. They told her they'll be giving her a competitive financial package as she had told them she got a really nice scholarship to BU and that she had to be rational about where she was going due to her family size etc.!!!

That is wonderful, Nadia. Congratulations to both of you!!

Wellesley college has always been the place she wanted to go so she is beyond elated.

Congratulations, Osmosis Mom, to you and your daughter!

My oldest just completed her first year college. She struggled through the year but maintained her Honors Program status while working part-time on campus.

And, Anna, congratulations to your daughter too. I remember you discussing the part-time work issue at the beginning of the year. Time certainly flies!

Regards,

Kareni

Wow, thanks everyone for your beautiful congrats. They just made my day -and my tummy jump since this is Day Two of the Wellesely Admit Saga!!

Dd was singing and dancing last night after she got home from her (very experiental, very new agey) temp. nanny-job in Boston (but that's another story to be told!!).

As I said, then we need to consider the finances, but to know *we* got accepted is wonderful. I am the type who sets a goal and focus on that so it had been very hard on me not having that goal fulfilled. Sort of a huge let-down since we worked very on her transcript.

I don't have the magic words to why she got wait-listed and then accepted. I know several other Muslim girls got accepted and at least one other homeschooler (probably more). We did not play on her being part-Arab which she feels now was wrong as they want diversity on campus (so we signed as white). Her scores were OK with her ACT being pretty good(31). This particular child is not a prodigy, but just really smart and outgoing plus a gifted writer. She had some amazing letters of recommendation and had done volunteer work for Harvard Museum of Natural History and an entomology lab there (several hundred hours, in fact). She also did Model UN and got an amazing letter of rec from there from a diplomat who works at UN.

However, she did get waitlisted, possibly because she did not play up to Wellesley too much or had taken classes there. She did visit several times and chatted with a bio-professor, but in retrospect then we should have pursued that a bit more earlier. However, she was too busy with real life to pay too much attention to pursing a college. We did not apply ED due to finances.

So, what we did do after she got waitlisted were a few things. She got invited for a Muslim Students Event that happened to take place at Wellesley and was asked by the W. students in the group why she didn't pursue getting into W. The chaplain was also very adamant about her pursuing W. and sort of cornered me to encourage us to pursue this. So the chaplain and a stellar W. studdent wrote letters of rec. for dd and emailed them directly to the Dean of Admission and dd worte a blow-away letter with a photo, this time of herself sitting with all her five siblings plus newborn baby-brother. I chose this picture, hehe!!! She wrote the letter and I was amazed (as I am always with this kid) about what she got in it and her expressions. We hand-delivered the letter. W. is 1 hour from our place and she brought it down in the most rainy weather ever. She said they were impressed with that. Throughout this whole ordeal she has been personally talking with the one below the dean who obviously really wanted dd. She is also the one she spoke to yesterday and she said W. is dying to get you on board and will offer a great financial package. Oh yeah, in the letter dd wrote she did mention that she had paid the deposit to BU where they had offered an amazing financial package and that even though W. was the top-choice then she had to be rational and would only be able to go if money was not an issue. She also explained why she had not applied ED to W. even though that was where her heart was.

We are fine with whatever happens; it is all in God's Will. However, on an emotional level then we are sold on W.!!

Let me know if you have any other questions. This particular kid has so much potential (apart form her weak points) and is so outgoing. She truly knows how to showcase herself without being less than truthful. W. was made for girls like her!! Her sister 14 is now thrilled because this makes it easier for her to get in. She has different strenghts completely, but is shy and an introvert!!!

Thanks again. At least we didn't buy any BU-shirts yet (hoping for Wellesley), but I feel 100% about BU as well, as a matter of fact.

Nadia P.S> I'll change my signature-line after we get the aid!!

Yes, she'll turn 17 in August.

Jeri, we say Tillykke in Danish. Thanks anyways.

Actually, again, thanks to everyone for the well-wishes. It means a lot.

Anna, I am relieved to hear your dd had a good year. I am certain every other year will get even easier, but you must be so proud of her steadfastness.

Nadia

We just got the financial info. They must have ben working pretty hectically! Parental contribution to Wellesley is.......$5K!!!!! Unbelievable. This is more than thrice as little as what we were going to pay for BU!! She has some student contribution and study work, but so very manageable. God is Great. This is just utopia.

Bottomline is to never fear applying anywhere and to not worry about finances (if there is nothing you can do about them anyways!!).

Nadia

P.S. Yearly amount to go to W. is $50k as pr. their email!! I really wouldn't know as I never worried that far! Guess I just saved myself a bunch of grey hair, haha.

I have been on these boards for many years, off and on, and it is such a encouragement to hear of people living their dreams. Hope your daughter has a great college experience with God in the lead. I just prayed that for her.

Ronda