Menu

s/o Have You Noticed Your Goggle Seaches Being "Personalized?"?"

Have you noticed your Goggle searches being "personalized?"  

1. 1. Have you noticed your Goggle searches being "personalized?"

• Yes, I have noticed it for a long while.
    • Yes, but it has only been striking recently
    • I have not noticed
    • Obligatory other

Just now (as I mentioned in another thread) I did a search for the phone number of a math textbook publisher with the following parameters: perpendicular press phone number Iowa city.

The ninth result was the Wikipedia entry for "Moby Dick." Say what?

And recently most searches I do come up with hits for the Well Trained Mind forum, imagine that :tongue_smilie:

I didn't notice such "customization" until recently. So here is a poll (Wait for it).

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Just now (as I mentioned in another thread) I did a search for the phone number of a math textbook publisher with the following parameters: perpendicular press phone number Iowa city.

And recently most searches I do come up with hits for the Well Trained Mind forum, imagine that :tongue_smilie:

I didn't notice such "customization" until recently. So here is a poll (Waugh for it).

Bill

Yes. And, I find it annoying. When I do a search, I do not want the places I usually visit. If I usually visit them, I probably would have found my answer there already and therefore not need to do a search.

I long for the good old days when my IP addressed wasn't used to schill me crapola all the time.

Yes, Google has thought I live in Bangor for quite a while now.

That's funny. Google thinks I live in Minnesota. I figured Google must be a product of public school geography. :lol:

Bill

Well, I tried your exact search, and I'm also getting Moby Dick as the 9th result

And sure enough, that Moby Dick page has most of the keywords in it.

I'm not entirely sure how customized Google really is. One could argue that both Bill and I spend a lot of time on these boards, and therefore must like Moby Dick too? I doubt it

ETA: on the other hand, Bing does not pull Moby Dick, but does list a page with all the goofs in the movie Independance Day

Edited by CleoQc

Guest Dulcimeramy
Yes. And, I find it annoying. When I do a search, I do not want the places I usually visit. If I usually visit them, I probably would have found my answer there already and therefore not need to do a search.

I long for the good old days when my IP addressed wasn't used to schill me crapola all the time.

:iagree:

My learning curve is slowing down because I keep getting sent to places similar to where I've been. It was better when my curiosity led me left, right, center, and upside-down.

And I am fed up to the teeth with wondering about something on Tuesday and having it advertised to me on Wednesday.

Furthermore, Google + Facebook = The Devil. What an unholy partnership, IMVHO.

Well, I tried your exact search, and I'm also getting Moby Dick as the 9th result

And sure enough, that Moby Dick page has most of the keywords in it.

I'm not entirely sure how customized Google really is. One could argue that both Bill and I spend a lot of time on these boards, and therefore must like Moby Dick too? I doubt it

You got Moby Dick too????

Very interesting.

Bill

Guest Dulcimeramy

Very interesting.

Bill

Oh. I know what happened.

Google is indeed customizing our surfing experiences to keep us all narrow-minded and spending money, but in this case it is explainable.

That wikipedia article about Moby Dick has the words "perpendicular" "iowa" and "press" on the page. As Cleo said, it is just a keyword match.

But to actually answer the question, dh noticed this yesterday. I called him when I was out & about yesterday, asking him to look up store locations for me (we're in Ohio). He just used the store name and it gave him a map of their locations in Seattle. One of his company's branches is in Seattle, so some of his web searches probably apply to that area. So yes, he has noticed.

I got Moby Dick too but it was the 10th. This thread was 1st. :lol:

For me, when I search using the top area, it's personalized way too much for my liking. If I want a more generic search, I have to go to the main Google page and type in the center search thing. Hope that wasn't too filled with technological jargon. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: I just put the same search into the Google home page - center thing, and Moby Dick came up 8th. lol

Very interesting.

Bill

Well, the words "perpendicular", "Iowa City", and "Press" can be found on that page.

ETA:

If I put "perpendicular press" phone number Iowa city (note the quotation marks), then the Moby Dick page doesn't come up at all. Only math stuff. And of course, this current thread.

Edited by CleoQc

The Moby-Dick page comes up 9th or 10th ...

What I've noticed in the last few weeks/months is in the column of links at the left-hand side of the page of Google results, under the links for "Images," "Videos," etc., it says "Sunnyvale, CA" and under that: "Change location."

I always assumed it was because our server is in Sunnyvale (although I think it used to be in San José). That explains why my search results are tailored for the Bay Area, but it looks like I could change it and tell it I was somewhere else ...

What I have noticed for years is that Google seems to have some sort of "intelligence" -- for instance, my cello teacher's site comes up on the first page of results whenever I Google anything cello-related. My cello teacher said, years ago, that he was planning to test his theory about Google "learning" about you and customizing search results by going to the public library and conducting some searches there. I don't know what he found out, if he ever did the experiment ...

~Laura

ETA: I'm about 45 miles from Sunnyvale, but I do know where it is ... :)

Edited by Laura in CA

What I've noticed in the last few weeks/months is in the column of links at the left-hand side of the page of Google results, under the links for "Images," "Videos," etc., it says "Sunnyvale, CA" and under that: "Change location."

I always assumed it was because our server is in Sunnyvale (although I think it used to be in San José). That explains why my search results are tailored for the Bay Area, but it looks like I could change it and tell it I was somewhere else ...

Do you use yahoo? Sunnyvale is yahoo's default location because that's where yahoo's HQ is located.

The ads on some websites are customized too. I noticed that when I search for things for other people. Those items that I have looked at for them, start showing up in picture ads. LOL

Yep, big brother is watching and taking notes.

Do you use yahoo? Sunnyvale is yahoo's default location because that's where yahoo's HQ is located.

No, Google, which is near Sunnyvale but not in Sunnyvale (we had an awesome field trip to Google HQ in Mtn View, complete with free food :D).

And I could swear it used to say something different from Sunnyvale -- but still not my town (whew!).

I haven't tried changing the default location. I wonder if you could have it be generic ...

And yes, for the past year or so I've noticed when I visit various sites such as freerice.com, the ads seem tailored for me -- it's always places I've visited or bought from (online), such as Old Navy or Lands' [sic] End, or charities I've donated to (online), such as World Vision. It seemed like such a coincidence, until I wised up and realized it was the cookies (or whatever they're called). Still, it means I don't see ads for things I find irrelevant or offensive ... :001_smile:

~Laura

No, Google, which is near Sunnyvale but not in Sunnyvale (we had an awesome field trip to Google HQ in Mtn View, complete with free food :D).

And I could swear it used to say something different from Sunnyvale -- but still not my town (whew!).

Ah, I wondered because on the computer that the kids use I have it set to clear everything every time (don't like those annoying cookies that come along with some of the online games). I have the homepage on it set to yahoo and it uses Sunnyvale as the default location (both here in NC and when we were in Hawaii).

What I noticed first was the geographical stuff, but my biggest observation was when it started giving suggestions for the search as I typed.

I do get a fair number of results from WTM when I search for homeschooling related stuff. But if I search for other stuff, I have not noticed it. Sometimes, yes. But definitely not every time or even close.

I tried a search for bridal fashion for example, and not a whiff of homeschooling or WTM did I see! The top results were bridal shops somewhat near me, but the tenth entry was for a show in state I am not anywhere near.

I also searched for math books, and got zip related to homeschooling. Even math books homeschool and american history curriculum got me nothing from WTM.

When I searched for vintage language arts books homeschool, I get nothing from WTM on the first page, but if I erase the homeschool the great S&S thread (which I've read and posted in umpteenth times) does get on the first page, and most of the results then are really bad (as compared to the homeschool one, which brings up lots of curriculum vendors and a few homeschool review sites).

Just to be devious, I put in denim jumpers. Nothing relating to homeschooling. I did get an ad from Victoria's Secret, Target, and Blair at the top of the searches. I didn't know Victoria's Secret sold denim jumpers! But I got "Victoria's Secret Jumpers - Shop This Season's Sexiest Jumpers."

BTW I redid the google search this morning, and Moby Dick has moved from #8 to #7. Heh heh.

/QUOTE]

:iagree:

The last thing I want to see pop up from a search is TWTM. I'm here everyday. If I could have found the answer here, I wouldn't be searching. I don't know what makes them think the places I'm near and the sites I visit regularly are where I want to search. It is actually just the opposite!