Menu

Out of Africa--but now have severe edema

I'll post more later about our GREAT trip--but now I have a medical issue...

I normally have some swelling when traveling (especially after long flights)--but this time it is extreme! Both of my legs below the knee are grotesquely swollen. My left foot and ankle are especially worrisome... besides being more than double normal size--it HURTS! (top of foot and around the inside towards the arch).

I'm also swollen behind my knees...

My 18 yo dd is willing to take me to the ER--it is 12:30am but I have not slept for over 56 hours now! I want to wait--but I am concerned--especially since it has not hurt before...

Any thoughts? Should I go in now or wait until morning?

UPDATED BELOW

Edited by Jann in TX

I would go, since this is unusual for you. You could've developed clots during the flight and if they break loose, can cause a heart attack or stroke.

Better safe than sorry, IMO...at the very least, if it's just extreme water retention, they can give you something to relieve it.

Sorry you're dealing with this--it sounds uncomfortable!

DH is snoring so loudly that I will be on the couch tonight anyways...

The top of my left foot is a little pink and warm to touch--both calves are cold to touch and pale. If the pain increases or I see a red area grow/appear then I will go in for sure...right now I'm ready to collapse!

Jann

I ended up taking DH to the Dr-- he had a sudden high fever with tummy problems (Dr thinks it is E coli)... Dr looked at my edema too-- he was concerned but said it was OK to just wait-- and to go immediately to ER if pain increased or if my foot/leg started turning red.

Today the swelling was down a bit-- my calves do not feel like they will explode and my sandals fit again... feet still look bad--but not triple their regular size!

Thanks for the advise and for the prayers!

Jann

I ended up taking DH to the Dr-- he had a sudden high fever with tummy problems (Dr thinks it is E coli)... Dr looked at my edema too-- he was concerned but said it was OK to just wait-- and to go immediately to ER if pain increased or if my foot/leg started turning red.

Today the swelling was down a bit-- my calves do not feel like they will explode and my sandals fit again... feet still look bad--but not triple their regular size!

Thanks for the advise and for the prayers!

Jann

I'm glad that you were checked. I hope that both you and your dh get all better soon.

Oh that is good news for you...hope your hubby is better!

You can help pump some of that out by lying on your back and putting your legs in the air and point and flex, point and flex, then alternately bend your legs pointing and flexing...like bend and point for four counts and then bend and flex for four counts. I don't know if that makes sense, but pointing and flexing your feet and then getting your calves involved helps pump that edema out.

Loved your pics!!! :)