Menu

Does the exponetial speed of technological growth ever overwhelm you?

(Sorry: exponential)

Does anyone else feel overwhelmed by the increasing speed and growth in knowledge and technology in the world? Especially as one responsible for the education of children? I sometimes feel as I will never adapt fast enough in order to give my children the cutting edge skills they need. In fact, I already feel behind the times in many ways. Sometimes, I just want to scream, "Slow down world--I can't keep up!" :willy_nilly:

Does anyone else feel overwhelmed by the increasing speed and growth in knowledge and technology in the world?

What I find overwhelming is the way technological "advancements" are idolized. I quite often wish we'd focus our time, energy, and money on other areas.

Especially as one responsible for the education of children? I sometimes feel as I will never adapt fast enough in order to give my children the cutting edge skills they need.

This part doesn't particularly concern me. My guys, when they're young, have virtually no exposure even to basic computer skills and yet when they need/want to learn about technology, they do it in a heartbeat. It's not rocket science ~ despite my own lack of interest and subsequent lack of knowledge.

In fact, I already feel behind the times in many ways. Sometimes, I just want to scream, "Slow down world--I can't keep up!" :willy_nilly:

I don't keep up. It's not important to me to do so. I don't even own a cell phone, in fact. I learn what I need or want to learn, but I feel no compulsion to try and "keep up" with it all.

Edited by Colleen

Yes! Not so much fear about my kids not keeping up. Kids seem to pick up on that stuff quickly. But technology changes so fast, I can't keep up. I feel stupid not even having a full grasp of how an MP3 works, much less ipods, ipads, Blackberry's, 3G this and 4G that, Kindles and Nooks, GPS, Smartboards, On-Star and so on. It's relentless-there is always something new, something better, more to figure out and is it all necessary? It's very overwhelming.

No. The new technology is not that hard to figure out - and in the end, the important things about educaton change slowly. Whether you can use every gadget has nothing to do with being educated, and I see no need to keep up. What "skills" are you talking about? The important skills are good writing, reading and mathematics skills, paired with an indepth knowledge of history and science. Devices are tools, you learn to use them when you have to.

I'd say make sure you know the underpinnings of technology. There are standards, such as the OSI Model, and I feel those are the basics that I need to convey to my children. Knowing a device...eh, they can pick those up easier than I ever will. But understanding the models and principles upon which the entire sector revolves, well, I think that's quite important.

As for the feeling you're feeling, heck, I get that way with life in general, not specific to technology! I need a PAUSE button, not an EASY button!!!

(Sorry: exponential)

Does anyone else feel overwhelmed by the increasing speed and growth in knowledge and technology in the world? Especially as one responsible for the education of children? I sometimes feel as I will never adapt fast enough in order to give my children the cutting edge skills they need. In fact, I already feel behind the times in many ways. Sometimes, I just want to scream, "Slow down world--I can't keep up!" :willy_nilly:

:iagree:

What I find overwhelming is the way technological "advancements" are idolized. I quite often wish we'd focus our time, energy, and money on other areas.

[The education] part doesn't particularly concern me. My guys, when they're young, have virtually no exposure even to basic computer skills and yet when they need/want to learn about technology, they do it in a heartbeat. It's not rocket science ~ despite my own lack of interest and subsequent lack of knowledge.

I don't keep up. It's not important to me to do so. I don't even own a cell phone, in fact. I learn what I need or want to learn, but I feel no compulsion to try and "keep up" with it all.

:iagree: this is me, too, apart from the cell phone bit. DH is a software developer and website designer, and I've seen new things come with great aplomb, only to die quietly a year or so later, so I don't get excited about any of it, really. Just as long as I can communicate with my nearest and dearest one way or another, the means by which I do this is not of great importance to me.

I get the feeling of watching it all rush along with great speed - it just doesn't impact me, I guess. My only concern is that I am able to protect my children from the more evil side of the Internet, inasmuch as I wish them to avoid inappropriate experiences of any evil, anywhere.

I full well know my limitations, and although I have made some small advancing steps, I'm certain I'll never be on the "cutting edge." There are some basics that I feel are necessary, and I've pretty much got those covered.

The other day I had sent out an e-mail to some moms who are working on a committee with me. One of the moms called me on the phone and said she wanted to reply to my e-mail but she didn't know how. :001_huh:

Um, "REPLY" ???? :lol:

We all enjoy our technology here so it hasn't been an issue. We all tend to have different areas of profiency. And we enjoy to learn more ( I learned how to back up my Mac this week- very cool).

However, I don't like mobile phones much. I don't like people being able to contact me anytime, anywhere. I can see their usefulness, and with teenagers I am not giving mine up, but I might one day. Its something I think has too many downsides.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Some people are always going to be up on the latest technology in some areas, but it is developing so rapidly that there is no way everyone will be able to keep up in all areas. I think it is getting so that if a teenager doesn't have a mobile phone and computer access, they might feel disadvantaged, especially in the normal city culture- but they can always catch up later and while other kids are on Facebook, they might be doing something much more productive or interesting with that time.

Some people are always going to be up on the latest technology in some areas, but it is developing so rapidly that there is no way everyone will be able to keep up in all areas.

I sense that this may cause interesting problems in the future. Especially as some use the technology for evil while others are totally ignorant of the possibilities and dangers. Not only that, but it appears that those who have money and skills to more readily access technology may have advantages and power over those who don't. And yet, the thought many of you expressed, I ask myself: Is it really worth trying, and in fact, can it be detrimental trying to think and live at that kind of pace and level of technological submersion?

No, I don't think about it too much, but what really blows me away was that my grandmother, who was born in 1898 (and obviously has passed away) was a child when the Wright brothers were doing their experiments and was alive to see the space shuttle. In my opinion, the people who lived through the bulk of the 20th Century have had the most to deal with in regards to technological advances that change their lives.

Yes! Not so much fear about my kids not keeping up. Kids seem to pick up on that stuff quickly. But technology changes so fast, I can't keep up. I feel stupid not even having a full grasp of how an MP3 works, much less ipods, ipads, Blackberry's, 3G this and 4G that, Kindles and Nooks, GPS, Smartboards, On-Star and so on. It's relentless-there is always something new, something better, more to figure out and is it all necessary? It's very overwhelming.

:iagree: I don't even understand what product many commercials are selling now. It literally means nothing to me.

No. Technology is advancing not just in areas of capability but in being user friendly. More robust on the back end, simpler on the front.

Not for all of us.

No, doesn't bother me much. We're a pretty techy family, dh stays up on the latest, ds isn't far behind. We may not own it, but we're learning about it. Dh is in construction, he just happens to be passionate about technology.

But like everything it's a tool. It makes communication efficient, and the world a little smaller.

I do get excited about technological advances that are purposeful. A couple of months of Popular Science can show you want advances there are on the horizon.

When PCs first became popular we used to spend our evenings in computer/electronic stores checking them out. We still do that to touch new technology and get an idea of what we like. It's a great way to pick the brains of nerds. :D

I am not concerned. Children learn from try/fail/succeed and that style of learning is very, very compatible with technology. Technology is getting soooo user friendly that it really doesn't take more that practice to use almost any tool. Complex computer programs that are not intuitive still exist, but most people who would be using them, aren't first time computer users.

The technology that is big right now won't be that important in 5 years. Phones that go on the internet/ereaders/ipods/tablets are all great, but in 5 years, they will be so common, that even if you don't provide it to your children, they will have seen and heard enough about them that they will be able to pick them up and use them. Things will be different and there will be new technology when they hit an age of freedom. Whether or not children learn current technology circa 2011, will not help/hinder them with the technology of 2020 or 2025.

There is very little technology out there that a typical 3-5grade student couldn't use. It is pretty much Read/point/click.

I think our generation has both the advantage of being the first growing up with computers but also the disadvantage, of remembering when we could seriously screw up technology if we didn't know what we were doing. Our kids, with the intuitive technology, will not grow up with that fear. To screw up most technology now you have to go through a lot of screens that say "do you really want to do that" or purposefully hack the system.

I'm a techie by education and profession, so it really doesn't phase me at all. I have a pretty good sense of how new products work from 30+ of working with them.

That said, I own a "stupid phone" (i.e. not a smart phone) and have yet to buy an e-reader. Every time I think about it, some other expense comes up and I can't imagine committing to the $, time, and loss of privacy.

:iagree: I don't even understand what product many commercials are selling now. It literally means nothing to me.

That's soooo me! It's my own personal little game to try to figure out what in the world they're selling. Is is some sort of phone? Some sort of computer? A camera? All three? I don't understand the descriptions of the products, either. It's a bunch of gobble-dee-gook (sp?).

I sense that this may cause interesting problems in the future. Especially as some use the technology for evil while others are totally ignorant of the possibilities and dangers. Not only that, but it appears that those who have money and skills to more readily access technology may have advantages and power over those who don't. And yet, the thought many of you expressed, I ask myself: Is it really worth trying, and in fact, can it be detrimental trying to think and live at that kind of pace and level of technological submersion?

I don't think it is healthy to try and live up to technology for its own sake.

And we know there is a nature deficit syndrome happening- kids are losing touch with nature because of overprotection as well as technology.

Its a balancing act- how to make sure they have the basics as well as a grounded life with family, routines, in touch with real things, not disconnected from life through technology.

Life is big and can accommodate a wide range of skills and people- I trust everyone has their place. The one thing I have seen with homeschoolers is that many find their way through unusual pathways, not necessarily the well trodden ones. I don't worry too much trying to make sure my kids have all the skills I think everyone else might have. I just help them find the direction they want to go and head them there as best I can.

Its too easy to worry about such things, and it doesn't help. If they can navigate the internet, send emails, maybe do a Powerpoint presentation and a spread sheet, by the end of school, they are actually ahead of many adults nowadays. My kids can do far more than that without being directly taught. They are both proficient at PhotoShop and other programs.

Give the kids access and generally, you don't need to teach them- you will find it hard to keep up. I didn't teach mine to use mobile phones or the TV remote- they taught me. They were born for this.