Menu

At what temperature do you start wearing winter/ cold weather clothes?

At what temperature do you start wearing winter/ cold weather clothes?

LOL! I have hardly any hot weather clothes - but I found some great (out of season) deals on cold weather clothes. It was in the 60s this week and I was so tempted to break out the turtleneck :lol:

So, regardless of the temps in the 60s I should wait until after Labor Day, right?

I usually start when it drops below 20 (Fahrenheit), before that I am still in shorts :)

Below 20*F ?!?!? that is below freezing LOL! You must love summer clothes :001_smile:

I am originally from a warm climate and I am having to learn to dress warm - I still do not own a pair of socks.

Below 20*F ?!?!? that is below freezing LOL! You must love summer clothes :001_smile:

I am originally from a warm climate and I am having to learn to dress warm - I still do not own a pair of socks.

I grew up in the northern part of Wisconsin and now live in Illinois, which is quite a bit warmer (although you might not believe me if you live in Illinois), so it never feels cold to me. My poor SO, on the other hand, grew up in Florida and wears his coat almost year-round.

:D

I have a rule-of-thumb guide for my kids to pick out their own temperature-appropriate clothing to wear on a daily basis:

70-75+F shorts

65-70 short sleeves & long pants

60-65 short sleeves & long pants w/ sweatshirt or jacket

Under 60 long sleeves

Of course, some of us run colder than others (me!), and the big kids often disregard the need for warmer clothing even when it's quite chilly.

Well, I pulled out flannel PJs last night so if you want to wear a turtleneck, have at it. I won't judge you. ;)

It if 52*F here right now. I might be pulling winter clothes out of the box before the day is over. I have a handful of winter clothes hanging in my closet, but I'm sick of wearing them since we haven't yet had more than 4 summer days yet.

I usually try to wait until late September/October before I pull out long pants and long sleeves.

We don't need flannel or fleece until December.

We moved to the south, lived there for five years. On principle I gave away all my turtlenecks before we left, I refuse to buy more, ever. We've since moved back to the mid-west where I did have to buy socks. Yuck!

I have a rule-of-thumb guide for my kids to pick out their own temperature-appropriate clothing to wear on a daily basis:

70-75+F shorts

65-70 short sleeves & long pants

60-65 short sleeves & long pants w/ sweatshirt or jacket

Under 60 long sleeves

Of course, some of us run colder than others (me!), and the big kids often disregard the need for warmer clothing even when it's quite chilly.

I do about the same except for the 65-70 degrees. That is usually shorts and long sleeve shirt/sweatshirt. In fact that is what we will be wearing today. I think it will be 60's and rain. Once summer hits I hate to give up my shorts.

Kelly

Is it still faux pas to wear white after labor day - or did that standard go out with the 1950s? :001_smile:

If your MIL was born in the 50's or before, she will steadfastly maintain that it is still the standard to only wear white (shoes or pants/capris/shorts/etc) between Memorial Day and Labor Day. If you were born after that generation, feel free to ignore that tradition. Go with the weather instead. :001_smile:

I wear winter clothes (long sleeves, long pants) at 60 degrees. LOL OP, I'd be breaking out the turtlenecks!! I live in the hot desert though. We are above hundred for the better part of 4 months. So, 60 degrees is a 40-50 degree drop for us. That's cold! I have this argument all the time when my dh teases me for being cold. :)

males in NH wear shorts all year long, even when there's a blizzard going on. :confused:

For me personally, I will start to wear long sleeved t-shirts when it is around 50 degrees, but true winter clothing? It has to be in the 20's or a very windy 30's.

I love cool weather, and I love cool weather clothing!!!

males in NH wear shorts all year long, even when there's a blizzard going on. :confused:

For me personally, I will start to wear long sleeved t-shirts when it is around 50 degrees, but true winter clothing? It has to be in the 20's or a very windy 30's.

I love cool weather, and I love cool weather clothing!!!

Why shorts???? LOL!