Menu

School Room Pics

What a great looking room. I'm planning to redo my room soon but I'm waiting for our new tables to arrive. My son and daughter were playing a few weeks ago and she tripped and broke the leg off of our old table clean off. There was no way to fix it and a new leg cost almost as much as getting a new table. Once the new tables are here and set up I'll get new pictures and post them.

You have a great space! Thanks for sharing, I think I am going to use your cube idea, I have been looking for a way to obtain more wall space by getting rid of our bookshelves, making the switch to cubes might work perfectly, and I never would have thought of it (altho I already have some for toys).

Thanks for sharing. Your space looks wonderful and so nicely organized. Mine is still a work in progress. We need desks, but I don't want to clutter up the room! :D I thought we could work at the kitchen table. I had vague memories of doing that. Good? Bad? Well, ds said, "No way! I need my own desk." Oh, yes....now I recall. Both ds at one table wasn't always ideal.:001_smile:

Very nice! I have to put stuff up high still or it is scattered or gotten into. I love love the nature area, DS would go crazy for something like that if I could keep the others out of it...

I'm working on mine now it seems for the last month it has been the catch all room and is in horrible shape right now.

Anyone done any re-organizing as the summer hits?

We just revamped the school room - here are the pix - would love to see what others are doing for next year!

I love your school room!! So cozy and inviting. We are schooling in the dining room and I would love to redo it with some of the ideas from your room. Where did you find the cubes? What a perfect size for keeping everyone's books and educational toys organized. We have a large book case with sliding doors, but it is so big and awkward, I would love these cubes! My best friend is loaning me her handy husband for a day (belated b-day gift) and I can see big projects ahead in my schoolroom for him to accomplish!

What a great post, I can't wait to see more pictures! Hopefully I will be posting pictures of my new room soon! :)

We just revamped the school room - here are the pix - would love to see what others are doing for next year!

I LOVE your school room :001_wub: I loved it the first time I saw it, about 2 years ago when I was setting up my own room, and now I think I love it even more! I also love that you included a picture of the room all messy:)

I did just start cleaning ours and will be re-organizing I think. We stopped using it pretty early in the year. With only one child doing school and three little boys running amuck, I realized that being in a more central location was better. However, this year I will have two children doing school and only one child running amuck, so I think we'll try the room again (it's still right off the kitchen). The room got reeeeeaaaalllly bad while we weren't using it though! Cleaning the kitchen? Throw it in the unused school room! Yikes! So I've found the floor now, which is progress. I'd like to remove the desk and make a place for a table that all 4 of us can sit at. (I have been babysitting this past year... in case anyone is wondering what happened where the 3rd boy disappeared to!)

Thanks for sharing your pictures!

Ours looks so boring without color! The only "big" thing I did this summer was add a border to our whiteboard (added more color to the room!) and added all the clear plastic bins for organization.

It's not real exciting, but HERE is ours. Our books are all in the family room.

I love seeing other people's schoolrooms. I feel fortunate that we have a schoolroom especially in a really old house (102!), but my schoolroom isn't as lovely as other people's.

My schoolroom doubles as the toy room, and has very little free wall space to work with, between two doors, two windows and a fireplace (and it isn't a huge room to begin with). I can't leave much down low that I value (even books) because my 11 month old prowls around seeking what he can devour (even books). :) :glare: I know he'll grow out of it, but the destructive force in one little body is amazing.

My main hope for this summer is that we can perhaps build some bigger bookcases in our dining room and move our bigger 8 1/2 foot bookcases from the dining room into the school room and find a new home for the 7 ft. bookcases currently in the schoolroom, to relieve some of the book overpopulation stress in our house.

I love seeing other people's schoolrooms. I feel fortunate that we have a schoolroom especially in a really old house (102!), but my schoolroom isn't as lovely as other people's.

My schoolroom doubles as the toy room, and has very little free wall space to work with, between two doors, two windows and a fireplace (and it isn't a huge room to begin with). I can't leave much down low that I value (even books) because my 11 month old prowls around seeking what he can devour (even books). :) :glare: I know he'll grow out of it, but the destructive force in one little body is amazing.

My main hope for this summer is that we can perhaps build some bigger bookcases in our dining room and move our bigger 8 1/2 foot bookcases from the dining room into the school room and find a new home for the 7 ft. bookcases currently in the schoolroom, to relieve some of the book overpopulation stress in our house.

I also LOVE seeing everyone's setups. I would love to see photos of your really old house!!

We are in the midst of moving and I had literally JUST gotten my old schoolroom in a functioning order. I had a nice practical living area in closet under our stairs. We had an "Imagination Station" in what should have been a formal living room. That was where I kept the less-educational toys for creative play. And then our school room was an awesome long room that was made as a formal dining room. It was perfect.

{sigh} Turns out our landlord wasn't paying his mortgage and his house went into foreclosure. So we were given our notice and luckily found a home in the same community, just three streets away. I'm excited because it has a really nice salt water pool but we are losing close to 800 sf of living space. So long "Imagination Station", goodbye "Practical Living Clubhouse".... Now to cram everything into the one designated area.

I love your room! I especially love the nature center part. I am going to hunt up some trays like that for the boys because they would love to fill something like that up.

I redid mine about a month ago. Our classroom off to check out yours now. I have a nature area and all too so I will love seeing how you did yours!

I love the dolls and would love to find the Little Organ Annie.

Here is a picture of some thrifty decor I made for a school room and also a photo of our previous schoolroom. I need to redo our current school room but am not sure what I want to do with it. I don't like the room it is in and am not sure how to make it more workable. We are in a rental home and will be moving when our lease is up so I am not sure how much energy I want to put into rearranging this space.

http://robindfowler.blogspot.com/2010/07/thrifty-school-room-decor.html

http://robindfowler.blogspot.com/2010/07/school-room-redesign.html

I love your room! I especially love the nature center part. I am going to hunt up some trays like that for the boys because they would love to fill something like that up.

I love the dolls and would love to find the Little Organ Annie.

Here is a picture of some thrifty decor I made for a school room and also a photo of our previous schoolroom. I need to redo our current school room but am not sure what I want to do with it. I don't like the room it is in and am not sure how to make it more workable. We are in a rental home and will be moving when our lease is up so I am not sure how much energy I want to put into rearranging this space.

The organ annie I have had for years. I know a company called organ wise guys puts them out but I think they look different now.

Your nature area has revived my interest in the printer drawers. I was all over today, flea markets and antiques shops I found one it was kinda small and they wanted 75 for it :( Well I will just have to keep my eyes open!!

Are your little black desks also from IKEA? I am shopping (in my head at the moment, lol) for a smallish desk for DS. Right now we do our work at the large dining room table, and will likely continue, but I'd like to find a small desk for him as well!!

ETA: NVMD! I just found them on the website!! $20 too!! Awesome price!!!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70176519

Does the table top lift up or does it just appear to??

Edited by nov05mama

I like the map art. We have a large wall map that the boys managed to rip off the wall last year, thanks to throwing stuff around the room. Now I think it's a big crumpled and wouldn't look nice on the wall anymore. This might be a good way to let it live on.

Are your little black desks also from IKEA? I am shopping (in my head at the moment, lol) for a smallish desk for DS. Right now we do our work at the large dining room table, and will likely continue, but I'd like to find a small desk for him as well!!

ETA: NVMD! I just found them on the website!! $20 too!! Awesome price!!!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70176519

Does the table top lift up or does it just appear to??

Yes, they came from Ikea. The top doesn't open but the back has a nice spot for desk items (like pencil cup and such). I think they are great for the price. They make a matching bookshelf that is inexpensive but I wouldn't recommend them unless you needed a cheap bookshelf. They are better than cheap walmart or target bookshelves but still not super sturdy ($25 I think).

We are trying to decide if we are going to keep the desks when we move this next time. We find that the boys really don't use them for school and I am thinking I would rather have a big table or repurpose our dining room table and get a new dining table.

I like the map art. We have a large wall map that the boys managed to rip off the wall last year, thanks to throwing stuff around the room. Now I think it's a big crumpled and wouldn't look nice on the wall anymore. This might be a good way to let it live on.

This was why I did this with ours. It was pretty beat up but this has made it useful again.

Here is ours: http://schoolwithoutdoors.blogspot.com/

I am terrible at keeping up with the blog. :o

I love it especially the reading nook.

I love your long table that is what I want for our dining room.

Thank you for all your comments! We love our Waldorf Playstands (the tent.) I plan to move them to our playroom because I am running out of shelf space for books. I buy most of my books at thrift stores, they're so cheap so I come home with so many books! Poor DH looks at me and says, "More books!? Really?" lol

I did and I just painted the back room white, because it was this lousy color from my dd's room, who just switched to a different room.

So I don't think I've ever decorated with a white wall. I decorated it in an ignoring way, but not to actually use it. Go figure. I'm waiting for it to dry. Then I'll try to figure out how to decorate with white.:tongue_smilie: I think I may do something mellow, like white with tan. Crazy me.:tongue_smilie:

thanks Sarah - there is no question things evolve as life does - in fact, for about six months a few years back my sister in law and her husband moved in with us (they were in transition between selling a home and moving with the military) and they lived in the downstairs - so I cleared the whole thing out and homeschooled in my kitchen. It is fun to have a room though - and it is always fun to plan it out!

I love all the rooms! They look wonderful. We school in the dining room & living room, so I don't have an official "school room." I do, however, have bookshelves everywhere, as well as maps, number lines, etc. as my dining room decor.;) I hope to have a school room one day.......

I just redid ours for the new year. We start back August 1st but my kids were coloring so I thought I would snap some pics. They used to all work at a big table in there, but everyone fought over space and would be nosy and check out what everyone else was doing instead of focusing on their own work. So here's our setup now.

DSCN0394.jpg

DSCN0395.jpg

Also, I couldn't forget our new class pet!

DSCN0396.jpg