Menu

Labor postitions

Not that I need to know right now as I'm not expecting, but reading through the Duggar grandson thread made me think to ask about this.

We went through the Bradley course.I ended up on Pitocin because I was not having contractions after my water broke. They allowed me to move around as long as the fetal heart monitor was adjusted correctly.

All of my contractions seemed to center in the tops of my thighs. I literally tried every birthing position I could but there was nothing that could relax the tops of my thighs. It was horrible.

Has this happened to anyone else? Could I have done anything differently? After being in labor on Pitocin for 10 hours and reaching 6cm my husband convinced me to get the epidural. It was still 9 more hours before my baby was born.

It took 9 years for Lily to come along. I don't know if I'll be blessed like that again, but it's something I have always thought about.

Didn't women used to labor on birthing stools (similar to a 'potty' position)? That seems like it would be the most natural position.

Even though I was in labor for 2 days with my youngest, it wasn't productive... I never got past 3 cm so I might not have the best information.

I've never experienced the thigh issue, but water would probably be a good thing to try in that case.

On "land", maybe side-lying?

(Yes, you CAN be in the water with an IV, as long as you have an attendant willing to use a portable doppler. Assuming a hospital birth, of course. I mean, you probably wouldn't have a pitocin drip at home, lol.)

well, my first thought is to avoid the pitocin. The guidelines actually say they want labor to START within 24 hours of waters breaking. But most doctors push that up to wanting you delivered by 24 hours. There is no evidence that is helpful or needed. Just avoid vaginal exams and baths if the water breaks, and wait for labor.

Second, there is a chapter or section in one of Ina May's books on the upper thighs needing to relax. She used massage to relax them. I know my midwife carries special aromatherapy oils specifically for massaging legs with during labor, I imagine for this very reason. As for positions, I would think maybe being submerged in a birth pool would take the weight off of your legs at least, to help them relax. I spent my time in labor on hands and knees in a pool, which worked great. I pushed on a birth stool out of the water, and I did notice that my thighs were tensing as much as my uterus it seemed. I wasn't coherent enough to tell anyone though. I wonder if massaging and relaxing them would have helped me relax my perineum, and prevented tearing. Hmmm.

My last labour was like this -- horrible pain in the thighs that was way worse than my labour pain from my previous two births (no thigh pain with either of the first two). The only thing that really helped at all was when I was in the tub for a short while. I also had a lot of pain in my pelvis (SPD) from about 6 mos pregnant and on, and I've always thought it might have been related. My current midwife and chiropractor have both said it was likely due to pressure on certain nerve endings while labouring.

For my next birth (coming up in August) I am being proactive by visiting the chiropractor regularly. I've been going for about four weeks now, and I've gone from constant pain (SPD again) to practically pain-free. I'm thinking the alignment support will also help keep things in good shape for labour so that I can avoid the thigh pain this time. I'll let you know how that works out. ;)

I had a similar labor, and started pit. **IF** it ever became necessary (and I do mean life or death) for me to go that route again, I would get the epi immediately. My labor got so bad that I literally couldn't breathe. How can you relax if you can't breathe??

I've heard of people going completely med-free with pit. It's not a race I want to run. I have had natural births, and I'm expecting any other births I have to be med-free, but if it comes down to pit, I won't even try.

I had a similar labor, and started pit. **IF** it ever became necessary (and I do mean life or death) for me to go that route again, I would get the epi immediately. My labor got so bad that I literally couldn't breathe. How can you relax if you can't breathe??

I've heard of people going completely med-free with pit. It's not a race I want to run. I have had natural births, and I'm expecting any other births I have to be med-free, but if it comes down to pit, I won't even try.

Just today I was reading some articles about the process of 'pit to distress', which is apparently when the pit is cranked super high for the purpose of speeding labour as much as possible, usually putting baby in distress and leading to c-section. Not good.

I had pitocin with my first and went several hours before getting an epidural. From a pain perspective, it wasn't that big of a deal, which makes me think they were managing it in a very reasonable way. I'm very thankful for that! (I eventually got an epi because I had laboured so long that everyone thought some sleep might help... no chance for that without the drugs.)

Both of my labors centered in my thighs. During my second pregnancy, I tried to prevent that by doing yoga, lunges, visiting the chiropractor regularly, etc. It didn't seem to make a difference.

I found standing and swaying during contractions most comfortable. Having a contraction with pain in my thighs while sitting on the yoga ball or kneeling was scary, which didn't help with relaxation. I also got in the birth tub towards the end with my most recent birth and just kind of draped myself over the side with my legs stretched out behind me. It didn't completely make the thigh pain go away, but it did seem to help.

My DD was born on the birth stool, and I don't remember if that was much better or not. I tried side-lying as well. It was tolerable, but the thigh pain didn't go away until my babies were born.

I read a book that described a vigorous thigh shaking technique in labor--I wish I could remember the title of that book. Basically, your birth partner and/or attendant jiggle (and not lightly, but firmly) your thighs during a contraction to loosen the muscles. We tried that when I was in the birth tub and it helped a bit.

I'm a very non-fussy person when it comes to medical things, BUT my midwife taught my DH how to use pressure points (which I thought was ridiculous) in my feet and wow, it was amazing! I'm not going to claim it took away my pain... Oh did I still have pain, BUT it took the sharp edge right off.

That said he had to squeeze so hard his hand hurt and he thought he was going to break my foot, but to me it just felt like mild pressure and distracted from the cervical and other pain.

As far as position, on my hands and knees in a tub of the warmest water possible was my main coping mechanism and when I had hip pain I would stand with the shower pointed at my lower back.

Good luck and best wishes! :)

I remember my thighs tensing with DS2. (Now this could be b/c most of my laboring was done sitting in a car driving for hours, IDK.) I did some light stroking with my fingertips (I forget what it is called, there is a name for it) in a downward motion on my thighs. And I was focusing on trying to get every muscle to relax and go limp. I think that lying in the tub would have been a nice thing b/c you could just let your legs float which may help too.

All of my contractions seemed to center in the tops of my thighs. I literally tried every birthing position I could but there was nothing that could relax the tops of my thighs. It was horrible.

Has this happened to anyone else? Could I have done anything differently?

Yes. I homebirth, so midwife had a friend on one thigh and dh on the other. They would massage or squeeze during the contraction. It helped. With subsequent children I had waterbirths.... water is magic. Really diminishes the pressure.

Edited by Geo
phrase-ology

Both of my labors centered in my thighs. During my second pregnancy, I tried to prevent that by doing yoga, lunges, visiting the chiropractor regularly, etc. It didn't seem to make a difference.

I found standing and swaying during contractions most comfortable. Having a contraction with pain in my thighs while sitting on the yoga ball or kneeling was scary, which didn't help with relaxation. I also got in the birth tub towards the end with my most recent birth and just kind of draped myself over the side with my legs stretched out behind me. It didn't completely make the thigh pain go away, but it did seem to help.

My DD was born on the birth stool, and I don't remember if that was much better or not. I tried side-lying as well. It was tolerable, but the thigh pain didn't go away until my babies were born.

I read a book that described a vigorous thigh shaking technique in labor--I wish I could remember the title of that book. Basically, your birth partner and/or attendant jiggle (and not lightly, but firmly) your thighs during a contraction to loosen the muscles. We tried that when I was in the birth tub and it helped a bit.

After trying out all different positions during pregnancy (I wanted it to be second nature once labor hit), the only one I could tolerate was standing this last labor. Sitting on the ball or toliet was torture. Lying on my side was horrid. Hands and knees was only second best. All I could do was stand. Or on knees leaning on the exercise ball. I don't know why my legs got more tired kneeling than standing :confused:.

The vigorous thigh-shaking technique- shaking the apples, or "chunging" in Chinese- helped a LOT. Ina May writes about that as well. My oldest daughter-who said she was NOT going to shake my apples :lol:- did it. I didn't even ask, I was lying in the tub on my side, and all of a sudden, I felt this relief wash over me- it was her! Bless her heart. Unfortunately, I hated my tub this time around, or I would have stayed and continually had my apples shook!

I have always labored while standing up, walking around, and leaning over the bed during contractions while my dh massages my lower back. It helps if I sway back and forth a bit during contactions.

Pitocin is a beast. I've not had it during my labors but have had it following each delivery. It hurts more than just having a baby, seriously. With my last one I was just sobbing with pain and the nurses were all looking at me like I was nuts. One of them commented that she couldn't believe how I was acting at the moment because she'd just seen me deliver a baby with no drugs and surely that must have hurt more. Um...no. No, it did not.

Not that I need to know right now as I'm not expecting, but reading through the Duggar grandson thread made me think to ask about this.

We went through the Bradley course.I ended up on Pitocin because I was not having contractions after my water broke. They allowed me to move around as long as the fetal heart monitor was adjusted correctly.

Has this happened to anyone else? Could I have done anything differently? After being in labor on Pitocin for 10 hours and reaching 6cm my husband convinced me to get the epidural. It was still 9 more hours before my baby was born.

It took 9 years for Lily to come along. I don't know if I'll be blessed like that again, but it's something I have always thought about.

A HUGE ditto to anyone who said to avoid the Pit. It's awful.

Did you try sitting in a chair and having someone push against your knees? Sometimes that helps pain in that area of the body.

If you do have another, DO NOT get induced!! Your labor will be a night & day experience!! Almost all of my clients who had Pit with #1 are really worried about their next birth. And in almost every. single. case. her labor starts, she wonders if it's really labor, calls and says, "I think I might be doing something....could you come over and check me??". Then I get there and she's around 7cm!!!!! :lol:

I know different things have worked for me in different labors. I tend to get a lot of pelvic pressure, and staying upright is not so much fun for me. With my first, I spent a while on a birth ball and a while lying on my side (plus some time walking around, some time rocking, and some time in the tub), with DH providing counterpressure on my back (baby was posterior). The counterpressure made the biggest difference. Delivery was side-lying, and that was a piece of cake.

I think I did pretty much the same with my second, but he, while anterior, was really far forward on my pubic bone, and it hurt a lot until he finally got under it (and then he was born quickly). Lying down couldn't get him under the bone, and being upright or on my hands and knees was too much pelvic pressure for me. Shower wasn't really helpful. Semi-reclining in my rocking chair turned out to be the magic bullet that time. Delivery was side-lying again.

With my third, I was determined to try to stay upright as long as possible, so I wandered around and went up and down the stairs a couple of times. I also spent a while lying on my side and dozing. Rocking wasn't very helpful, but the shower was semi-helpful for a little while. By the end, I was walking back and forth and then having DH pressing on my back. I hadn't intended to birth on my back, but I lay down on the bed for a second and then he was born so fast that I couldn't move.

I have really liked having a variety of options at hand, because I never know what's going to help. I am really hoping to try a waterbirth, or at least more water laboring, this time though. If it's not too hot, I'm also contemplating taking a walk in the middle of labor -- I'm thinking maybe the scenery will distract me from the pelvic pressure, and maybe being upright will bring the baby down and make labor a little faster. :)

Pitocin is a beast. I've not had it during my labors but have had it following each delivery. It hurts more than just having a baby, seriously. With my last one I was just sobbing with pain and the nurses were all looking at me like I was nuts. One of them commented that she couldn't believe how I was acting at the moment because she'd just seen me deliver a baby with no drugs and surely that must have hurt more. Um...no. No, it did not.

This is my experience too. I have delivered 5 babies without drugs. Yes, it hurts, a lot -- but not like pit. After my 5th was born, I was bleeding profusely and they gave me pit to get the placenta out and to stem the bleeding. It was the most excruciating pain ever. I was writhing on the bed and thought I might pass out. I almost threw up, the pain was so bad. I have no idea how women deliver with pit and don't get an epidural. (Maybe my dose of pit was high b/c it was an emergency-type situation and not trying to get labor started, I don't know. All I know it that it was h*ll.)

I have always labored while standing up, walking around, and leaning over the bed during contractions while my dh massages my lower back. It helps if I sway back and forth a bit during contactions.

Agreeing with you again here, PIP. Swaying back and forth helps me a lot.

I also have used a birthing stool and really liked it. It gives good support but you get to be in that crouching position which is so good for delivering.

I've had two pitocin births. The first one had me crying at 6cm and resorting to an epidural. I completely understood why women get epidurals. Pit is horrible. The second one wasn't much worse than my natural birth so I made it without an epidural. The difference, I think, was that I refused to lay in the bed. I asked for the telemetry unit because I had to have continuous monitoring and walked the halls for the entire labor. It wasn't picking up correctly so I suggested they just check the baby after each lap. They weren't up too keen on that but I flat out refused to spend the labor in bed so they really didn't have a choice. I only went in my room for vitals, and again, I didn't lay in the bed for those. I either sat on the birthing ball or stood. They didn't get me in the bed until it was time to push.

Edited by joannqn

It took me 44 hours to get to 3 cm. (The contractions were uncomfortable enough to keep me awake and focused on them but they were not actual active labor contractions even though they were 5-10 minutes apart. It's called prodromal labor as I recall.) It took 4 more hours of intensely painful contractions about 6-8 minutes apart to get to 10 cm and 15 minutes of pushing to deliver my oldest child. Glad I was at home with a midwife who wasn't hung up on the 24 rule. A pox on the 24 hour rule and constant internal dilation checks. I labored in water which helped tremendously.

Pit lawsuits are coming now too-it's so rough and does not mimic natural labor very closely, so it can rupture the uterus. If a mother is not truly full term (40+ weeks) it can potentially harm the baby by basically slamming it into a body not "softened up" for delivery.

My midwife had a client who did not have contractions for 5 DAYS after her water broke. No sex, no baths, no internal checks, and she finally started contractions 5 days later with 24 hours of labor and she and the baby were perfectly fine.

:bigear: This is a very informative thread for me. I had 3 kids, all on pitocin, no drugs, and at a hospital that only allowed me to lay in the stupid bed. Talk about hell. I didnt realize that pitocin labor was that bad! I mean it hurt like all get out and a nurse had me sigh her "superhpero" book of very few women who did it, but I had no clue that it could be easier!

I tried to get an epi with the second...as they got the needle in back, the baby was coming out and I had to lay flat and push him out asap...didnt even get the drugs in :001_huh:

If (a big if) I evefr have a fourth I am gonna do a LOT more research!

(Yes, you CAN be in the water with an IV, as long as you have an attendant willing to use a portable doppler. Assuming a hospital birth, of course. I mean, you probably wouldn't have a pitocin drip at home, lol.)

I'm going to guess that it would be very rare for someone on pit to be allowed in the tub. The hospital policy that I'm familiar with requires continuous monitoring while on pitocin, which precludes access to the tub, and that particular hospital is pretty liberal about such things.

(But it's fine to go in the tub with an IV for other reasons. They just tape a glove over the port.)

#1- Had Pit as well, spent majority of time on birth ball until I had to push, not allowed in tub due to having "partial" rupture of membranes but not sure how partial since I did really need to have my bag of waters broken - then I got on the ball. When I was pretty far along I was forced into bed. HATED being in bed waaaaaaaaayyy too much back pressure. But I pushed him out. Pit but natural vag birth w/Midwife in Hospital.

#2- Had Pit but turned it off to allow me to lay in jacuzzi. Didn't really dig the jacuzzi, just wanted to be up. Labored primarily on the ball and standing/rocking. Pushed standing. Hubby and MW lifted me into bed when dd crowned ;) and I pushed her out in the bed. Pit but natural vag birth w/Midwife in Hopsital.

#3- got wise this time. ;) Homebirth with 2 midwives. No pit. Did break bag of waters. Ironically ALL THREE births with Pit or without Pit were ALL 3ish hours. Hmmmmmmmm. This birth I labored a while in our jacuzzi but preferred to stand and rock. I birthed this guy STANDING up but literally hung over my footboard on our bed to push him out. Midwife and dh caught his slippery bod. They were fully prepared that there was ZERO chance of me getting into the bed to labor (no matter how well prepped it was). Once he was out I happily climbed into bed. 45 min later he nursed, then we took a snooze. Fantastic experience.

I had pit in the tub and my membranes were ruptured as well (GBS- for that pg, but had been + for first). It must depend on the hospital and the care provider. I had intermittent monitoring with the doppler while in the tub.

If I knew then what I know now, I never would have gone to the hospital in the first place when my membranes ruptured just a tiny bit and no strong contractions. I was anxious to have the baby though as the end of my pg was miserable. 33 hours, artificial rupture of membranes and some pit later I realize that my body just was not ready. It made things harder to force it.

I, too, had a pitocin birth with no epidural or other pain relief with dd#1. It was in a hospital in Germany. Dh was home on R&R from Iraq, and we had 15 days to get that baby out! OB tried stripping membranes (can anyone say OWWWW?????) that had no effect, so induction was the way we had to go. It wasn't horrible, the male doc (not the same as my regular OB during the pregnancy) was the absolute WORST!

Fast-forward to dd#2 - had a natural birth-center birth in Florida. Awesome experience, though I do have horrid back labor and the only relief was standing during labor and leaning on dh. This was after five hours of labor in the car on the way to Florida from Georgia (we moved in the midst of the pregnancy & I did not want to change providers). It took weeks for my back to get back to "normal'.

Now, another baby is on the way. I do plan to have a natural birth, though there are no birth centers nearby. In Alabama, where we live, midwifery is not legal and in Georgia, 10 minutes away, I am seeing a midwife, but have to go to the hospital to deliver. They are telling me IV access is a MUST (hep-lock I think it is called) and I am none to pleased about that. I think I will be refusing that at the hospital. She also said they "require" stationary monitoring for 20 minutes every hour. Again, something I do not see as necessary. I can tell my midwife is a bit nervous dealing with me. She thinks I am going to be difficult, when I think I am simply exercising my righs as a patient to accept or refuse things.

Now that I am totally off topic - as far as labor positions, I tried the tub/jacuzzi, hard chair, soft chair, birth ball, sitting, and standing. The only position that relieved any pain/pressure during actual contractions was me literally leaning on dh with my knees bent.

Had both mine at home with midwives, no drugs of any kind, but the stitches hurt the most because they waited a while and by then the endorphins had worn off. Nothin' like a fish hook weaving through your nether region to make a new mom shout all kinds of obscenities.

During labor and delivery I was a peach though. Even reached a point with my first where I retreated into la-la land and did not feel any pain. I closed my eyes and calmly breathed her out. As for positions, I tried water, the stool, squat, you name it... the only one that brought real relief was on my knees with my arms and head resting on the bed. That is how both of mine came into the world.

Moving around, walking, swaying (slow dancing) with dh, lower back massages with tennis balls and having the right support (midwife or doula) are my top suggestions for finding some relief.

Had both mine at home with midwives, no drugs of any kind, but the stitches hurt the most because they waited a while and by then the endorphins had worn off. Nothin' like a fish hook weaving through your nether region to make a new mom shout all kinds of obscenities.

WHAT!? You were not given a local before stitching? My homebirth midwife injects a local for the few who need stitches.

WHAT!? You were not given a local before stitching? My homebirth midwife injects a local for the few who need stitches.

:iagree: :eek: My midwife carries lidocaine for sutures. I only needed stitches after my first home birth (second baby, born with her hand up by her head).