Menu

Moby Dick...does it get any better than this?

I never dreamed that I would smile my way through Moby Dick, but that's exactly what I did when I read it for the first time this winter. Oh, how I love Melville's prose and Ishmael's voice. :)

I'm glad you said this, because I do remember mentioning to dh earlier on in the book that I didn't expect it to be funny. I think it's the later encyclopedic aspect that is hard to swallow!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait. They have a program? Seriously? What books do you get and do they have that same terrific binding? I love the lay flat binding on hardbacks.

And when you finish, let us know what you thought.

They have a "book of the month" type program, at least they did several years ago. They send you a book and you make very large payments :). It seems to me I signed up for the 100 Classics program. If you look at their website, you'll see that all their books are beautiful! Leather with 24K gold trim. A friend of mine has the entire collection, and I have to keep myself from drooling whenever I go to her house. ("Please, can I just touch a few of them?" :drool5:)

Just realized I should have said "Easton Press", (not "Eaton Press")

Edited by Susan in TN

I'm glad you said this, because I do remember mentioning to dh earlier on in the book that I didn't expect it to be funny. I think it's the later encyclopedic aspect that is hard to swallow!

Yes, my dh was surprised to hear me laugh out loud while reading it.

I never dreamed that I would smile my way through Moby Dick, but that's exactly what I did when I read it for the first time this winter. Oh, how I love Melville's prose and Ishmael's voice. :)

If you haven't read "White Jacket" it is hysterically funny.

Bill

No, it does not get better. Unless you get a kick out of theorizing why he wrote an entire chapter about a PICTURE of a whale...or why the entire middle of the book is even there. I'm big into literature--and reading the real thing--but I ALWAYS recommend an abridged version of Moby Dick;). Skip to the end;).

Melville's opus is the finest specimen of the English language, after Milton of course.

Even if I lack patience to look up everything when I read him, and he makes me feel like I am NEVER going to learn English, and should finally get peaceful with that fact. :lol: It was still enjoyable.

Melville's opus is the finest specimen of the English language, after Milton of course.

Even if I lack patience to look up everything when I read him, and he makes me feel like I am NEVER going to learn English, and should finally get peaceful with that fact. :lol: It was still enjoyable.

Every once in a while someone gives me hope for humankind :D

Bill

The main saving grace for me is that Melville shows more restraint with the semicolon than Faulkner. ;)

My first experience with Melville was reading Billy Budd in 9th grade G/T English. That was not successful

Melville and I had another altercation in 11th grade G/T English when I was tortured with Moby Dick. Melville won.

If I could go back in time and erase Melville from existence, I would at least seriously consider it.

I know Moby Dick is good for me. I know I should read it now that I am an adult. Still, the thought makes me shudder.

I AM partial to Brit Lit. Dickens, Elliot, Thackery, Austen. Melville? If I am 98 years old and plagued with dementia, I may give Moby Dick another shot, but only if I have nothing better to do in the nursing home.

Okay, I don't mind some Joyce, it is really Ulysses that I don't like. I wish I could unread it.

What's wrong with Ulysses? Now Finnegan's Wake is beyond my powers of concentration (or maybe my liver just would not tolerate the amount of whisky it would take to get me through it) but Mr Joyce certainly had his moments.

Bill

I see you understood the OP's comment as I did.

Guess I am out of the norm when I say I *loved* Moby Dick. Best first chapter in American literature, IMO. Probably helps that I am a coastal gal.

I say, stick with it. My rule of thumb is 50%. If I've made it half way through a book, I'm committed. The best show of character comes near the end of MD, anyway. You'll feel accomplished when you're done.

Now, after all that cheerleading, I hope to finish Wuthering Heights by tomorrow. Just seems all downhill after Cathy dies, but I will finish!

Wait!! Wha----??? She dies!?

What's wrong with Ulysses? Now Finnegan's Wake is beyond my powers of concentration (or maybe my liver just would not tolerate the amount of whisky it would take to get me through it) but Mr Joyce certainly had his moments.

Bill

So are you saying that whisky is the key?

So are you saying that whisky is the key?

Unproven hypothesis, as (while I don't object to a wee-nip now and again) the level of alcohol consumption I speculate is necessary to understand Finnegan's Wake is orders of magnitude beyond what I'm prepared to imbibe :D

Maybe we could get another volunteer? :tongue_smilie:

Bill

I just find Ulysses too icky and misogynistic. Joyce is way worse than Hemingway in this regard, he just hides it better. Yes, Finnegan's Wake is convoluted, but I have a bigger personal problem with icky. I acknowledge the fact not everyone is on the same page with regard to symbolism and many people gloss over the icky, veiled bits of classic books. For example, one of my sister's friends completely missed what actually happened at the end of Brave New World.

Joyce was *proud* of the massive symbolism in Ulysses. He said he had, "put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant."

Wait!! Wha----??? She dies!?

Yes.

More Wuthering Heights spoilers:

Another problem with classic books? Abridged versions abound. Not everyone knows what happened in Wuthering Heights. I've had to bring my copy to people to prove to them their copies were abridged. The abridged versions really hide the hints of necrophilia.

Yes.

Another problem with classic books? Abridged versions abound. Not everyone knows what happened in Wuthering Heights. I've had to bring my copy to people to prove to them their copies were abridged. The abridged versions really hide the hints of necrophilia.

Sorry, Susan, I just figured that since the book has been in print, what, over 200 years continuously, there would be no need for a spoiler alert.

I have to say, there is not one truly honorable and admirable character in the book. Edgar, while honorable, is not admirable. Nellie is, honestly, a pot-stirrer, through her divided loyalties and poor judgement. Catherine the Elder and Younger are spoiled brats, and Isabelle is just an idiot. Hindley is weak, Joseph has some strange theology going on, and poor Hareton is a total victim. Heathcliff... one can only imagine what a life he had before coming to the Earnshaw's, something scarred him for life. Much better study for psychology students than for literature students, IMO. Or science students; with only two households in the neighborhood, that's got to make for some combustible genetics.

Okay, off rant now. Still have about 90 pages to go, have yet to see overt references to what Mrs M referred, will keep my eyes open as I finish this unabridged copy.

Yes.

I was kidding around. I should have put :lol:. But there might be someone for whom it is a real spoiler. So many people on the boards go back and fill in the gaps of "classics" they haven't read. So my joke ruins it too.

I just find Ulysses too icky and misogynistic. Joyce is way worse than Hemingway in this regard, he just hides it better. Yes, Finnegan's Wake is convoluted, but I have a bigger personal problem with icky. I acknowledge the fact not everyone is on the same page with regard to symbolism and many people gloss over the icky, veiled bits of classic books. For example, one of my sister's friends completely missed what actually happened at the end of Brave New World.

Joyce was *proud* of the massive symbolism in Ulysses. He said he had, "put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant."

Yes.

Wow! You guys all sound so smart! I saw how many pages were on this thread, so I finally got curious and read the last page. I wanted to see what you all could still be talking about concerning Moby Dick. (I've never read it).

Obviously, I'm not smart enough to carry on this thread. Wow! You all are SUPER smart!!!

:leaving:

I was kidding around. I should have put :lol:. But there might be someone for whom it is a real spoiler. So many people on the boards go back and fill in the gaps of "classics" they haven't read. So my joke ruins it too.

Ah, I see. :D

Wow! You guys all sound so smart! I saw how many pages were on this thread, so I finally got curious and read the last page. I wanted to see what you all could still be talking about concerning Moby Dick. (I've never read it).

Obviously, I'm not smart enough to carry on this thread. Wow! You all are SUPER smart!!!

:leaving:

Depends upon the subject. I'm usually pretty lost on the math threads. I majored in literature for a reason.

I am not fond of Joyce, Faulkner, Hemingway. Not sure if anyone else was mentioned. Only of Melville, from this thread. :)

ETA: I hope this does not destroy Bill's glimpse of a faith for humanity. LOL.

You have enough bonus points that it only rocks the foundations a little :D

Bill

Depends upon the subject. I'm usually pretty lost on the math threads. I majored in literature for a reason.

I feel like I'm smart enough, but I don't think I'm that smart on any subject!!! (I hope you don't have to be this smart to be a good teacher to your kids....if so....my kids are sunk!)

Seriously impressed here! I jumped in to a college professor thread! :blink: :001_smile:

Wax eloquently on....(don't mind me) :D

From Dave Barry:

When I went whale watching I will admit that I was a teensy bit nervous about boating in whale-intensive waters, because of my memories of "Moby Dick," which is about Captain Ahab, played in the movie by Gregory Peck, who looks just like Abraham Lincoln but with fewer legs. Ahab wants to kill this giant white whale, played in the movie by Marlon Brando, but in the end Marlon tips over the entire boat and everybody dies except the narrator. (In high school, when I had to read "Moby Dick," which is 87 million pages long, I found myself wishing that the narrator had also died.)

:D At least he's actually read it.

I have to say, there is not one truly honorable and admirable character in the book. Edgar, while honorable, is not admirable. Nellie is, honestly, a pot-stirrer, through her divided loyalties and poor judgement. Catherine the Elder and Younger are spoiled brats, and Isabelle is just an idiot. Hindley is weak, Joseph has some strange theology going on, and poor Hareton is a total victim. Heathcliff... one can only imagine what a life he had before coming to the Earnshaw's, something scarred him for life. Much better study for psychology students than for literature students, IMO. Or science students; with only two households in the neighborhood, that's got to make for some combustible genetics.

I think this is what fascinated me about Wuthering Heights (which I read in high school). My sympathies were constantly changing and in the end I just wanted to slap them all.

Not being fond of Moby Dick, I have always liked the Fiddler. :) (I hope I have the name right!)

I suppose it is the conclusion that is drawn in the end. You should not be down on those things that are good and you should not cover in happiness those things that are sad. The debate over why the one orator was not as well received eventually landed, for me anyway, that taking things as they are and dealing with the fact in the moment in the right tone is what is great.

Probably not well said, but it is nonetheless one of my likes. I enjoy the short stories. For this amount of time, I can enjoy the language without feeling closed in a box of words and ramblings, LOL.

I believe SWB would agree with you on MD. As for Wuthering Heights, I just read it again. So many here have complained about it in past that I thought I must have forgotten it and that surely I was mistaken to say I loved it. I wasn't. I still love it. Completely.... Guess I'm just weird....

I believe SWB would agree with you on MD. As for Wuthering Heights, I just read it again. So many here have complained about it in past that I thought I must have forgotten it and that surely I was mistaken to say I loved it. I wasn't. I still love it. Completely.... Guess I'm just weird....

I can't say that I've loved it. But I willsay itis fascinating, in a macabre sort of way.

Nothing is better than Moby Dick :D

Bill

I just reread it and loved it! I want to go visit whaling museums and take one of the whaling boats out and throw a harpoon! Well not actually hit the whale cause those guys from whale wars would be on me in a flash, but it did make me do research on whales.

Unproven hypothesis, as (while I don't object to a wee-nip now and again) the level of alcohol consumption I speculate is necessary to understand Finnegan's Wake is orders of magnitude beyond what I'm prepared to imbibe :D

Maybe we could get another volunteer? :tongue_smilie:

Bill

For me, it would require scientific notation to represent the amount of rum required to embrace Finnegan's Wake! :lol:

I think this is what fascinated me about Wuthering Heights (which I read in high school). My sympathies were constantly changing and in the end I just wanted to slap them all.

When I was in college, the most common comment I received on my papers was that I was too hard on characters in books. I was *always* wanting to slap somebody. I think Great Expectations probably contains the characters that I most want to slap, and I read a *lot*.

I find it fascinating to read Austen and then the Bronte sisters. Wuthering Heights is probably the best example of the type of literature Marianne would have *LOVED*. So wild, so unrestrained. I'm afraid I am more of a Elinor. But, I love the *idea* of being unrestrained. So, I love *reading* Wuthering Heights, but I wouldn't want to live anything like that, lol.

But what's not to love, LOL? Love conquers all in the end....

I don't know if that holds true in that particular book. :lol:

LOL! We've been up on the heights; you valley dwellers have no idea....

ETA:

I should have qualified that. I've actually been wandering through various caverns with Merlin for the past little while (just finished Stewarts Arthurian cycle and am now revisiting T. H. White)... but I've got a book of Emily's poetry waiting for me when I finish....

Edited by mcconnellboys

IF you love poetry, John McCrae, a Canadian, but ... http://books.google.ca/books?id=TecjwVOo5GsC&lpg=PP1&dq=In%20Flanders%20Fields&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=true

During World War I, many of his poems were written. I forget the figurative terminology, but he provides great illustration and action for inanimate objects, such as a gun. The content is very centered around the war, very emotional.