Menu

Glue traps

Does anyone else think they're unnecessarily cruel?

I found a live mouse stuck on a glue trap at my brother's place - it must have been struggling for hours on it because parts of its skin was torn off, its eye was dislodged from its socket and it must have pulling off strongly, because a part of its foot was torn off, exposing muscle and bone.

It was squeaking pitifully and the trap was almost covered in its excrement. I was shocked, this is no way to kill anything, to slowly make it die in great pain like that. My brother came along and told me just to throw it in the trash - which surprised me, because my brother wasn't known as this callous. But I do know that some people throw them out alive to waste away slowly (but I don't see the reasoning or morality behind that). I had an argument with him, saying that it was unacceptable to torture an animal like this. He replied, saying it was only a mouse and it was a pest but I made sure to tell him that those qualities are irrelevant, pest or not it's wrong to make it suffer like that.

I did the right thing and put the trap into a plastic bag, and used a brick outside to crush the head. While that may sound horrific, it was the quickest way on hand to put the animal out of its misery - it was dead instantly. I don't really know why people would use such vile, disgusting things when there are better alternatives. Even a snap trap is more merciful. And I know some people might disagree, but I think glue traps should be illegal - we live in a society where we abhor unnecessary cruelty to animals, no?

Stuck, frightened, struggling to the extent of mass injury, half downing in its own pee, eventually having the mercy of death take it after it sits for days writhing in pain in someone's garbage bin. Sorry for the graphic detail, but does any animal deserve to die like that? I don't understand why people are willing to throw a living animal into the garbage as it's in great amounts of pain, as if its pain didn't exist and it was some kind of inanimate object.

So I'd like to ask the people who use glue traps - why? Why not a snap trap? Cage traps? And if you do encounter live animals on the traps, what do you do with them? Do you kill them humanely or toss them in the trash? If you do the latter, then why??

Apologises if some people might find this a little unsettling, but just thought I'd share something that was on my mind and warn people about how horrible glue traps are.

Maybe I am weird, but I catch live.

We had a problem becuase our neighbors were slobs and didn't mow grass. I would empty the traps into walmart bags and tie them off each day. I went to the trash dump and tore a hole in the bag and let them loose. The guys would laugh at me. I figured they had plenty to eat at the dump! What a mouse heaven, don't you think? LOL

I hate glue traps too. :(

Yes, but what do you do to the trapped animals on them? That's the question over glue trap use. And hantavirus or not, that's no reason to make them suffer unnecessarily. Hantavirus is very, very rare - you're more likely to get struck by lightning. And what's wrong with using a traditional snap trap, have you tried those?

But if you're worried about Hantavirus - be aware the glue traps actually encourages its spread because a trapped animal will urinate and poop more when it's frightened (as it will on a glue trap), and trying to get away so all this stuff will splash everywhere. It's why the CDC don't recommend them.

Edited by GarryL

Snap traps and ratzappers. Or cage traps.

Usually? And what do you do to live ones? Throw them in the trash too?

We haven't had much luck with other kinds of traps. Snap traps are dangerous too. The glue traps are more effective at our house.

As for the live ones, if they're not moving a lot, then yes, they go in the trash too. If they're moving, I don't go anywhere near them. That's DH's job.

We haven't had much luck with other kinds of traps. Snap traps are dangerous too. The glue traps are more effective at our house.

As for the live ones, if they're not moving a lot, then yes, they go in the trash too. If they're moving, I don't go anywhere near them. That's DH's job.

Snap traps don't have to be dangerous, if you put them inaccessible areas or put them in bait stations.

And you're implying that you throw living creatures into the rubbish? Put them out of their misery, why make them suffer more than they have to? Don't you understand how cruel they are if you just let the animal linger on it for a long period of time? That is not necessary at all.

If they're very alive, DH might smash them over the head with something. How long do you think they "linger on" in a sealed plastic bag? No, I really don't care. I trap wasps, too. It's the hobo spiders that I prefer die instantly by smashing, lest they recover and bite someone (no, glue traps don't seem to catch them).

Not only will I not use them, none of the local pest control places will use them. Even they say they are inhumane and more over are ineffective. Too often the mouse chews its own leg off and survives long enough to go hide in a wall and die.

Yes, I use glue traps. They're safer than poison in a house with small children. (And yes, I have freed the occasional child from said glue traps, but only rarely).

I don't want Hanta virus in my house. Rodents must go.

Snap traps are MUCH more effective than glue traps, and more humane. If you don't want Hanta virus you need to use the more effective method. None of the professional pest control places use the glue traps because sometimes they just escape to live on, and other times they escape just long enough to die in the walls, a huge health and smell hazard.

We had smart mice. lick the snap traps clean, but not get caught. Leave the poison alone. The live traps worked sometimes, but youcan't release them in the middle of winter. And they often were set off bu the trains shaking the house. We used glue traps as a last resort. One can only find so droppings in their cupboards before the mice are just not welcome anymore. I did cover them with poison so that the mouse would have a tasty dinner. Of course they didn't get caught in that either. I did find one packet of poison with holes in it, and haven't found droppings in awhile. But I am not opposed to glue traps if you've tried everything else and take care of them properly afterwards. (there are things you can do besides leave them to thrash about)

We use glue traps to catch palmetto bugs (aka HUGE roaches). There are several traps in the garage and they work well. A poor little baby lizard did happen to get stuck on one, but besides that they work great on the large bugs. Don't know what I'd do if there was actually a mouse on one, because although that's what they are for, I use them for different reasons.

If they're very alive, DH might smash them over the head with something. How long do you think they "linger on" in a sealed plastic bag? No, I really don't care. I trap wasps, too. It's the hobo spiders that I prefer die instantly by smashing, lest they recover and bite someone (no, glue traps don't seem to catch them).

Long enough so that they're still suffering miserably. And that is too long.

So you don't care that you make something suffer heaps, akin to torturing it? That's pretty disturbing, and I would say it speaks volumes. I wonder why someone would use them in the first place - if it's because nothing else works, fair enough. But at least these kind of people have the humanity and decency in them to put the animal out of its misery, rather than leave it in agony in a rubbish bin.

People like you emphasise the point of my rant perfectly. Note that I am not criticising you for using glue traps themselves, but the method in which you dispose of them afterwards.

If you don't want Hanta virus you need to use the more effective method.

If the animal is infected with the virus, it's not going to matter what method they use. There is still risk of exposure. But it's much less with a quick-kill trap because on a glue trap, the animal is going to pee some more and wriggle around everywhere.

Well, I choose to catch and release, but when we had a few that I couldn't catch I used D-con merry-go-round traps. You don't see them. They are dead when they enter for the bait. I find this the only one that I can use. I am too soft hearted. I only kill a bleeping snake if it is poisonous - and I chop the head off quickly. Otherwise, all snakes are "swept" to the back of the yard.

I have a difficult time spraying bug spray!

Link to the traps .... http://www.d-conproducts.com/traps/nvnt.html

Long enough so that they're still suffering miserably. And that is too long.

So you don't care that you make something suffer heaps, akin to torturing it? That's pretty disturbing, and I would say it speaks volumes. I wonder why someone would use them in the first place - if it's because nothing else works, fair enough. But at least these kind of people have the humanity and decency in them to put the animal out of its misery, rather than leave it in agony in a rubbish bin.

People like you emphasise the point of my rant perfectly. Note that I am not criticising you for using glue traps themselves, but the method in which you dispose of them afterwards.

People like me, without humanity and decency (for rodents). Nice. Welcome to the boards.

People like me, without humanity and decency (for rodents). Nice. Welcome to the boards.

It doesn't matter if they're rodents, it is still unnecessary cruelty to animals irrespective of what kind of status you put on them. They're animals that still have the capacity to feel pain, and by deliberately causing more than necessary, debases your humanity and decency. Especially when you choose to make it suffer instead giving it a swift, and hopefully painless end.

Would you torture a dog to death? A rabbit? No. Then why a rat? Imagine the slow torture happening to you...

I am too soft hearted. I only kill a bleeping snake if it is poisonous - and I chop the head off quickly.

Don't recommend killing snakes as they're extremely useful to control the local rodent population. If you have one in your house or in the garden, I'd just call a snake wrangler.

Don't recommend killing snakes as they're extremely useful to control the local rodent population. If you have one in your house or in the garden, I'd just call a snake wrangler.

Even for the poisonous ones, I try and call our local catch-and-release man. Sometimes, the snake is very aggressive and can't be just left alone. :glare:

I don't think they understand what I am telling them.

:lol:However, you should meet Harry! He is a big ole 6 feet this year! I couldn't believe it when he came out and stretched across the front porch and I still didn't see head or tail. He was itty bitty when we met years ago.

I am very selective about the choice to end a snake's life. I find them amazing.

Snap traps are MUCH more effective than glue traps, and more humane. If you don't want Hanta virus you need to use the more effective method. None of the professional pest control places use the glue traps because sometimes they just escape to live on, and other times they escape just long enough to die in the walls, a huge health and smell hazard.

Not always. We actually have mice here much too small and quick to even spring the snap traps. I've set dozens of snap traps and NEVER caught one mouse. Seriously not even one. We get these little teeny (and very fast!) field mice.

I can always hear them struggling (light sleeper) and I get up and whack them one before tossing them out. I'm pretty quick about it and have not had one in there long enough to chew it's own leg off or even make a mess. Glue traps also vary pretty widely in stickiness.

Not that we've had any sign of mice in here in the last six years since getting a dog. Hmmm....

These boards tend to like debate and such, but you'd seem a little more genuine and a little less like a pot-stirrer if you chose a few other threads to participate in. ;)

Yeah. So Garry what curriculums are you looking at for the fall?

And this is the first thing you post on a homeschooling forum? Interesting. :001_smile:

Color me suspicious as well. Did the anti-glue trap crowd that disrupts every Home Depot shareholder meeting tell its minions to go forth and stir up trouble for glue traps and their sellers in other venues? If so, I'll bet they're patting you on the head for getting such a discussion going on one of the busiest homeschool boards in the country.

Terri

We actually have mice here much too small and quick to even spring the snap traps. I've set dozens of snap traps and NEVER caught one mouse. Seriously not even one.

You could be using the wrong bait and wrong type of snap trap? There are several varieties.

Color me suspicious as well. Did the anti-glue trap crowd that disrupts every Home Depot shareholder meeting tell its minions to go forth and stir up trouble for glue traps and their sellers in other venues? If so, I'll bet they're patting you on the head for getting such a discussion going on one of the busiest homeschool boards in the country.

Terri

Or perhaps you could not worry about something so silly and stick with the topic in question? Do you have any thoughts on the subject or not? ;)

This topic is my focus atm, and is no different than any other in its legitimacy. I'll be more than happy to participate in other threads, in due time.

Or perhaps you could not worry about something so silly and stick with the topic in question? Do you have any thoughts on the subject or not? ;)

Don't really have time to respond to this, as I'm on my way out the door. Going to Home Depot to buy a bunch of glue traps. How's that for thoughts on the subject?

Terri

Don't really have time to respond to this, as I'm on my way out the door. Going to Home Depot to buy a bunch of glue traps. How's that for thoughts on the subject?

Terri

If you believe I'm trolling, then you're sadly mistaken. :glare:

I will never use glue traps myself, but snap traps aren't necessarily the best answer either, and I will never, ever use one of those. When I was 17 or so there was a mouse at my parents house so they set a snap trap. I was laying out on the couch watching TV when I heard the trap snap- and then listening to the poor mouse struggling to get free. It actually had me in tears, and I ended up waking up my parents to do something about it. Horrible experience.

Yeah, sometimes they will catch a leg or tail instead. Usually because the trap has a really inferior spring mechanism or the incorrect bait was used. No trap is ever 100% infallible, but even so, the chance for a quick kill via a snap trap is a lot better than hours of torment of a glue trap. The best we can do is minimise any suffering, no matter what trap we use. Yeah, I know, some people will scoff at this and find it laughable...

we end up using them because the snap traps don't always work correctly. We've had the mice eat the bait off of them and run off.

When we have glue traps out, we check them daily. If there is a mouse in it, my dh bashes them with a hammer and then we toss them.

It sounds like the mouse you came across had been there awhile. I've never seen one in that bad shape, but we always check daily.