Menu

Ugh! Can we list all Bible curriculums?

thowell

I am driving myself crazy trying to review all the different Bible studies out there! Can we just start a list of all the ones we know so I can have them all in one place???? PLEASE!!! For the sake of my sanity! This is all I have left to get and our first week is the first if July!

I have always enjoyed the Kay Arthur Bible studies by Precept International. http://store.precept.org/

For older kids and adults they have studies for each book of the Bible. They have several other series of studies, including the Discover 4 Yourself series which is meant for young readers (although I'm sure you could help a non-reader through them too).

Kim

The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study - Starr Meade (Bible survey)

Training Hearts, Teaching Minds - Starr Meade

Studying God's Word series by Christian Liberty Press

Rod and Staff's Bible curriculum

Bob Jones University Bible curriculum

Explorer Bible Study

Bible Study Guide for All Ages

Man, there are a ton of them. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Do you have a particular denominational slant you are looking for?

The Most Important Thing You'll Ever Study - Starr Meade (Bible survey)

Training Hearts, Teaching Minds - Starr Meade

Studying God's Word series by Christian Liberty Press

Rod and Staff's Bible curriculum

Bob Jones University Bible curriculum

Explorer Bible Study

Bible Study Guide for All Ages

Man, there are a ton of them. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Do you have a particular denominational slant you are looking for?

Well we are Baptist but a non specific denomination would work fine. This year we did BSGFAA and while it was okay, I am looking for something more than just the Bible stories. My kids have heard these all their lives and know them well. I would like something with a little deeper study in it if that makes sense. I want them to really learn from the scripture and apply it to daily life. Thanks for the ideas so far.

There's Christian Studies by Memoria Press

or the Bible light units by Christian Light Publications.

A Beka has a Bible curriculum section.

There's something called "Bible Blast" which is more of a family devotional thing.

... And there are a ton of books that are geared toward making the bible something your kids should internalize as a daily thing.

I wrote a review a while ago--I doublecheck these resources each year at convention, and still stand by what I have written:

When I evaluate a Bible curriculum, I look for what percentage of questions require the student to answer from the Bible text itself (I shoot for 2/3--most studies unfortunately only hit 50% or less), how factual versus opinion-based any notes are and to what degree there is denominational bias.

I also look for how much a good inductive process is reflected in the study--there should be factual observations, an opportunity to summarize the main point of the passage in one concise statement, and finally, application to real life.

I also think that younger children do well with circling the right answer, puzzles, and drawing in response to the text. However, as your child reaches fourth and fifth grades, their Bible study should include more short answer and independent work. (SWB's SOTW reflects this same progression--SOTW 1 has a lot of coloring and multiple choice on tests, whereas SOTW 4 has more short answer and not so many coloring pages.)

I have not found one single Bible curriculum or study anywhere, ever, that asks for a one-sentence summary of the main point of the passage. I highly advocate adding this feature in to whatever Bible study you use or teach, in any setting. A good way to do this with kids is to ask a question like, "What did you learn about God in this passage?" or "What do you think is the very most important lesson in this passage?" Keep it to one short sentence--there may be many subpoints that are good to know, but it is very valuable to be able to distinguish the main, most important point.

My number one pick would have to be the Explorer's Bible study, which is available at http://www.explorerbiblestudy.org. Many thanks to Jessica at Trivium Academy for recommending it. I was impressed. It has a good amount of factual observation questions, is very Bible-text focused but still includes some cultural/geographical/historical notes here and there, and has a small proportion of application questions in each unit. Information is presented from an evangelical perspective but seems more factual than opinionated. For those who may be familiar with Bible Study Fellowship or Community Bible Study, this curriculum follows the same pattern. Each unit is also laid out into five days of homework--a decently challenging but not overwhelming amount. Another key feature of this curriculum is the fact that there are corresponding adult studies as well. For a logic stage student either their older elementary OR high school study would be appropriate depending upon reading fluency and maturity.

I also, by the way, recommend both BSF and CBS children's programs. I evaluated both. I think the CBS program has slightly more challenging homework, but also really like the way older children and teens are led to do homiletics at the BSF meetings. (Homiletics is a process of generating an outline of the passage with a final, summary statement.) I recommend either program without reservation in addition to the Explorer's curriculum.

I also have used and liked Kay Arthur's Bible study series for children. My own dd has used several books in this series successfully this year. However, I would steer away from *How to Study the Bible* as it is unnecessarily wordy and proved to be quite challenging for the 4th-5th grade girls I taught. The material is not hard--the presentation of it in this book was terribly convoluted, though. If you choose to do that book, take two weeks per unit and plan on really holding your child's hand through it. The other books in the series are much easier and quite doable, though--we have been satisfied with several others in the series. These books have five or seven days of homework per unit, include both factual questions and marking things directly in biblical text, and some application.

After that, I consider Rod and Staff to be a decent alternative. There is a solid amount of factual questions and some good information on history/geography/culture. However, there is virtually no application, and no summary statement opportunity (none of those I reviewed include this). And, even at the older grades there is virtually no short answer--format is still multiple choice and simpler responses. There is more denominational bias in the notes but can be overcome by careful Bible study. This curriculum would be acceptable even if it's not my favorite.

Christian Light was a lot like Rod and Staff but not quite as challenging. I also thought Christian Liberty was middle-range--not the greatest, but not terrible either.

I was really NOT impressed in the least with either Abeka or AlphaOmega and would not recommend those at all. They were simplistic, passive, lacked depth and do not require much from the student at any age.

One final thought--for high school I would gravitate towards the Explorer's adult series or towards NavPress study guides. I also think teens should be generating their own inductive notes (observation-interpretation statement--application) rather than passively responding to a Bible study guide.

There may well be other wonderful resources out there. This is just what I have reviewed. I'd be happy to answer any further questions.

Some further thoughts--Since writing this review a while back, I have also reviewed Positive Action for Christ and find it to be a good Bible study. The process is inductive and it's quite thorough. It differs from the others I like in that it is a topical study--in other words, it collects verses throughout the Bible that relate to one topic. With a topical study, it's best to always be careful to check that the verses are appropriately applied. PAC seems to do so, at least on the studies I worked through.

The Memoria Press Bible studies are good quality, and nicely simple in format. However, I would recommend them only for younger children as I think the format does not grow with the child (stays too simple over the progression).

I didn't see a couple of good ones mentioned. I've been happy with everything I've used from Karyn Henley materials and I've used a variety. I don't think anyone mentioned Grapevine Studies either--they might be just what you're looking for.

Of what's mentioned I also like the Kay Arthur stuff generally though I've not looked at their kid/teen materials and we're really enjoying Telling God's Story which we're using now. I felt the Kay Arthur did have a bit of a theological slant at least in the adult bible study stuff. The others I mentioned don't have any slant that I've noticed.

Edited by sbgrace

We've been using an obscure little Bible curriculum called "Suffer Little CHildren" written by Gertrude Hoeksma and published by Reformed Free Publishing. It is as plain as they come, no pictures, no frills, but it is the most systematic, in-depth study of the Bible I've come across.

Discovering the Scriptures has bible studies for the Old and New testaments. Be aware these are from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints perspective.

We like XTB(eXplore The Bible) from http://www.thegoodbook.com/youth-and-children for our dd7. They have them for olders too..(I saw at least for 11-14's) and family devotions as well. What I like about the XTB is that is has the child uses their actual Bible not just a re-told story like some of the others.

When I was looking for a Bible study for my dd, I read in one of the samples of a mainstream curriculum that.. Mary lived was in love with a man named Joseph and was engaged to marry him.

She was in love with him??? Really?? She might not even have known him.. Anyway.. their interpretation of the Bible story convinced me to find one where she read from the Bible straight=D

Well we are Baptist but a non specific denomination would work fine. This year we did BSGFAA and while it was okay, I am looking for something more than just the Bible stories. My kids have heard these all their lives and know them well. I would like something with a little deeper study in it if that makes sense. I want them to really learn from the scripture and apply it to daily life. Thanks for the ideas so far.

I completely understand. I really enjoyed the year we used BJU when my kids were younger. BJU has a Baptist catechism in its book and that gives a great overview of doctrine.

Oh, one more, I remember is Apologia's Bible curriculum. That may be more what you are looking for an it can be used with multiple ages.

I would like something with a little deeper study in it if that makes sense. I want them to really learn from the scripture and apply it to daily life. Thanks for the ideas so far.

I'm thinking you would like Memoria Press' Christian Studies, we have the first book, which is on a 3rd grade level I believe and it is very good with maps, vocabulary words, etc.

I'm currently using these unit studies curriculums that are NOT history or literature based, but instead are Bible/missions based.

Complete FREE 1 year unit study based on World Missions

Teaching With God's Heart for the World I am so excited about finding TWGHW. It fills in all the modern gaps of the Bible based unit studies, and makes meaningful electives planning an absolute breeze. Even supplemental integrated math is doable and meaningful.

6 year unit study based on the ENTIRE Bible. Not one verse is skipped and all the worksheets and most of the lessons are generic ones and can be applied to all scripture.

Students of the Word

Susan Mortimer's (the author of CGC) Create a Notebook series

Remembering God's Awesome Acts

Remembering God's Chosen Children

I really appreciate the worksheets on Leviticus, Deuteronomy, Song of Solomon, and Ecclesiastes. The are helpful when SOW generic worksheets feel a bit lacking in these books. Awesome Acts covers world languages and will supplement TWGHW. Chosen Children teaches enough Hebrew to read an interlinear.

These 3 curricula together are a powerhouse of Bible Study.

I too have BSGFAA and was disappointed in implementing it :-0 I want to start using bits of it again as a supplement to the above. I have the older style worksheets and I think copying the stick figures is a worthy activity to aid comprehension. I prefer them to the Grapevine stick figuring lessons.

Picture This aids my comprehension, but even though it looks appropriate for the kiddies, it can be...controversial. Ecclesiastes includes drawing Solomon inebriated with a glass of wine in his hand, and his words are criticized :-0 I'm not sure how that fits in with conservative views on scripture infallibility.

Bedell provides short, open and go, cuddle up and talk, lessons for science and the social sciences and theology, based on a chronological reading of the Bible. The curriculum unfortunately is VERY heavy in Genesis and almost skips psalms and proverbs. But it's good, quick stuff to add to daily scripture reading, that gets DONE :-)

Edited by Hunter

Guest stausshaus

I know you asked for curriculum, so I hope I’m not being obnoxious by suggesting that you might not need any. I thought I needed Bible curriculum this year (this was our first year homeschooling), but money was so tight and I found that, of all the subjects I could do without any curriculum, the Bible was easiest and best.

We picked books of the Bible to read through together (no rhyme or reason, EXCEPT that I saw God do an amazing thing and put order to my son's seemingly random choices of books.) We read a chapter a day, sometimes less, if there was too much to take in and we needed to stop and consider the depth of what God was saying in a short passage. It allowed for freeform discussion of what scripture was saying, teaching, etc.

When we first started doing this, we started with the book of Daniel. SUCH a great book for kids to study – plus I love that it gives you biblical evidence that you need to eat your vegetables. ☺ I would ask him who was in the story, what happened and what God was teaching us. Was there a sin to avoid? Promise to claim? Anyone in the story you want to be more like? Anyone you want to avoid imitating? How could he use what we read to be more like Jesus?

I used several online bible study tools for the parts I needed help with. It was such a blessing for me to study it on a level that required me to be able to teach it to my son, but I didn’t pour hours into preparing, I simply read the chapter and if there was something I didn’t understand, I sought some resources that could help. God gave me wisdom I needed and I heard words and ideas coming out of my mouth to answer my son’s questions or drive home a point, that I know didn’t come from me…

We studied Exodus next, which took forever! (and of course, skipped a few chapters at this point, because I wasn't quite ready to explain beastiality to my 8yo son quite yet! :-) Then we studied the book of Mark. All of these were my son's choices and what ended up happening was we wrapped up Mark right around Easter, and all we had studied in Exodus tied so nicely into Passover. God is so good!

Also, we found various examples of other subjects we could incorporate into our lessons. In Exodus, when we studied the building of the tabernacle, we worked on multiplication. We took the number of pounds of gold, found today’s market rate per ounce, talked about how many ounces are in a pound. We did the same for silver. We then figured out the current monetary value of the materials God’s people gave to the building of the altar. I also want to investigate why bronze was used for some parts and see if there is a science lesson in there somewhere!

Anyway…short story long…it took so much pressure off of me to feel like a I had to get through some sort of curriculum and I think God really blessed our time just digging through His Word together.

So, whether you find something by the first of July or not, you could just start out doing a book or two together and having your kids journal what God is teaching them. (Journaling didn’t work for my son at this point, but I do have an awesome drawing from him of Nebuchadnezzar in the wilderness, wild hair, fingernails and all!)

God bless you in your schooling this year!

For His Glory,

Leanne

I know you asked for curriculum, so I hope I’m not being obnoxious by suggesting that you might not need any. I thought I needed Bible curriculum this year (this was our first year homeschooling), but money was so tight and I found that, of all the subjects I could do without any curriculum, the Bible was easiest and best.

We picked books of the Bible to read through together (no rhyme or reason, EXCEPT that I saw God do an amazing thing and put order to my son's seemingly random choices of books.) We read a chapter a day, sometimes less, if there was too much to take in and we needed to stop and consider the depth of what God was saying in a short passage. It allowed for freeform discussion of what scripture was saying, teaching, etc.

When we first started doing this, we started with the book of Daniel. SUCH a great book for kids to study – plus I love that it gives you biblical evidence that you need to eat your vegetables. ☺ I would ask him who was in the story, what happened and what God was teaching us. Was there a sin to avoid? Promise to claim? Anyone in the story you want to be more like? Anyone you want to avoid imitating? How could he use what we read to be more like Jesus?

I used several online bible study tools for the parts I needed help with. It was such a blessing for me to study it on a level that required me to be able to teach it to my son, but I didn’t pour hours into preparing, I simply read the chapter and if there was something I didn’t understand, I sought some resources that could help. God gave me wisdom I needed and I heard words and ideas coming out of my mouth to answer my son’s questions or drive home a point, that I know didn’t come from me…

We studied Exodus next, which took forever! (and of course, skipped a few chapters at this point, because I wasn't quite ready to explain beastiality to my 8yo son quite yet! :-) Then we studied the book of Mark. All of these were my son's choices and what ended up happening was we wrapped up Mark right around Easter, and all we had studied in Exodus tied so nicely into Passover. God is so good!

Also, we found various examples of other subjects we could incorporate into our lessons. In Exodus, when we studied the building of the tabernacle, we worked on multiplication. We took the number of pounds of gold, found today’s market rate per ounce, talked about how many ounces are in a pound. We did the same for silver. We then figured out the current monetary value of the materials God’s people gave to the building of the altar. I also want to investigate why bronze was used for some parts and see if there is a science lesson in there somewhere!

Anyway…short story long…it took so much pressure off of me to feel like a I had to get through some sort of curriculum and I think God really blessed our time just digging through His Word together.

So, whether you find something by the first of July or not, you could just start out doing a book or two together and having your kids journal what God is teaching them. (Journaling didn’t work for my son at this point, but I do have an awesome drawing from him of Nebuchadnezzar in the wilderness, wild hair, fingernails and all!)

God bless you in your schooling this year!

For His Glory,

Leanne

Thank you for this. I will really have to stop and pray and think about what you have said. Maybe it would be perfect for us.

Here are some free online.

Calvary

Children's Bible Study

Bible Activity Worksheets

Sunday School Sources

Creative Bible Study

BL4K

I have not used any of these. They are just sites I have found through searching and would like to eventually check into. I know I have more bookmarked somewhere. If I find them I will list them as well.