Menu

Tired of being the Boring Food person

At picnics I always bring the most boring food. I want to have that moment when people say "Yummm, she brought _____ again." Not, "Put the cookies over there." My aunt makes a to-die-for Italian salad, my sister a beautiful torte that she's known for, my good friend a delicious nacho platter. Me? I bring the cheesy potato casserole or cookies.

Anyone have a delicious and sort of unique dessert I can bring next time? One that won't melt on the way to a picnic? One that will make me *gasp* famous for a moment.

The easiest, most yummiest dessert ever....

Melt almond bark chocolate (no, it doesn't really have almonds in it...it's just the brand). Take two ritz crackers and spread peanut butter between them to make a sandwich. Dip the sandwich into the melted chocolate. Set on a piece of wax paper to dry (only takes a few minutes).

Afterwards, you have the yummiest dessert that people will compliment you on. It's SO simple.

I make a gluten free/vegan s'mores pie that people love. I make it gf/vegan because that's the crowd we run with, but I know a "real" version of it would be great too.

Cake in a jar is always interesting. Cupcake fondue has been a hit in the past.

Here is a recipe for a delicious layered dessert with a bottom crust, a vanilla/cream cheese layer, a chocolate layer, and a whipped topping sprinkled with nuts. I have never taken it to a picnic, but it is a chilled dessert. Perhaps you could keep it in a cooler if it's a very hot day?

Allrecipes.com is a fantastic site for finding new recipes! I try the ones that have a high rating from a large number of reviewers. Happy cooking!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chocolate-Pecan-Delite/Detail.aspx

I make this cheesecake and everyone is always impressed. They beg me to make it again and if I get bored and bring something else they complain. I change the recipe slightly, I use blueberries instead of raspberries, I double the crust recipe, and I double the blueberry sauce. It is really yummy. If I make it the day before and freeze it, then it won't melt and will thaw just enough by the time we eat.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/White-Chocolate-Raspberry-Cheesecake/Detail.aspx

I forgot- I use Vanilla Wafers for the cookie crumbs instead of chocolate cookie crumbs. The crust is the best part!

Edited by Paige

Some of my favorite take-along desserts:

Margarita Pie (keep in cooler until you serve it)

Cookies and Cream Cake (I use the Pampered Chef version-it's easy and looks really good)

Lemon Mousse Cake

Rainbow Jello I make mine in a big trifle dish, here's a pic:

eta: for the grownups-Guinness cupcakes

Oh! A great way to "ice" chocolate cupcakes for kids? Take them out of the oven, put a marshmallow on top of each, put them back in the oven for a minute or two (just until the marshmallows start to swell), take them out and and gently mash the marshmallow. They are non-messy to carry and look so fun!

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Even cookies can be impressive! What about learning some awesome icing techniques? If you're at all crafty, it can be really fun. People are really impressed by my cookies, cakes, and cupcakes, but trust me ... they're nothing special. The trick is in the decoration.

I feel you on wanting some recognition, though. My food is appreciated by my family, but DH's is another story. They're the type to prefer Hamburger Helper lasagna over the real thing. My MIL makes a "jambalaya" that's three different mixes cooked together with hot sausage, and they RAVE over it. She brings that to everything. My SIL makes the wateriest spaghetti I ever tasted, but she brings that and they LOVE it. A cousin makes lumpy cheese and noodles, which they all ADORE. I ask what I can bring and they say "Um, uh, you make really good ... corn?" Sure. They mean the frozen mini cobs I wrap in foil and bake. That's why I started learning how to decorate desserts.

Edited by SunD

At picnics I always bring the most boring food. I want to have that moment when people say "Yummm, she brought _____ again." Not, "Put the cookies over there." My aunt makes a to-die-for Italian salad, my sister a beautiful torte that she's known for, my good friend a delicious nacho platter. Me? I bring the cheesy potato casserole or cookies.

Anyone have a delicious and sort of unique dessert I can bring next time? One that won't melt on the way to a picnic? One that will make me *gasp* famous for a moment.

This is not your traditional cake but ohhh soo buttery and good. Absolutely my favorite. It is easy to make with few ingredients. The only thing I would change to the recipe is cut the sugar to half (2 cups). 4 cups is way too sweet to me. Definitely taste the batter once you finish mixing it. I always have people asking my for the recipe. Here is the recipe :

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chess-Cake/Detail.aspx

Julia

The easiest, most yummiest dessert ever....

Melt almond bark chocolate (no, it doesn't really have almonds in it...it's just the brand). Take two ritz crackers and spread peanut butter between them to make a sandwich. Dip the sandwich into the melted chocolate. Set on a piece of wax paper to dry (only takes a few minutes).

Afterwards, you have the yummiest dessert that people will compliment you on. It's SO simple.

You are SO right about the yummiest EVER!!! I have a wonderful friend from work who makes these. They are the BEST!!!!!!!! She even made me my own little batch for Christmas! (The "almond bark chocolate" is just that white chocolate stuff.) I could eat these every day for the rest of my life and be happy, so very happy!

--------------------------------------

A friend makes Dirty Rice for potlucks, and I liked it so much that I began making it for dinner:

1 lb. sausage (like Jimmy Dean)

1/2 c. chopped onion

Cook sausage and onion together until sausage is browned.

1 box Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice, prepared per box directions

1 can sliced mushrooms, drained

Mix sausage mixture, rice, mushrooms; serve.

----------------------------------------

And the other big hit I've seen at potlucks is basic macaroni and cheese. It's always the first thing gone.

Oh my goodness. We really need some sort of food smilie here!

Guest Katia

This is my Picnic dessert that everyone always raves over. I don't eat it, but I fix it. :D

Twinkie Cake

Line a 9x13 cake pan with Twinkies. You can cut the last few in half to make them fit. I think I buy two boxes.

Pour/spread chocolate pudding over the Twinkies. I usually use a large can of Thank You pie filling, but you can make up a large box of Jello pudding or even homemade. Whatever floats your boat.

Spread some Cool Whip over the chocolate pudding.

Buy a package of Heath Bar pieces, and sprinkle over the top.

I keep it refrigerated until we leave, and it seems to be ok throughout the picnic time. I've never had any leftover to bring home. :001_smile:

Some of my favorite take-along desserts:

Margarita Pie (keep in cooler until you serve it)

Cookies and Cream Cake (I use the Pampered Chef version-it's easy and looks really good)

Lemon Mousse Cake

Rainbow Jello I make mine in a big trifle dish, here's a pic:

[ATTACH]5361[/ATTACH]

eta: for the grownups-Guinness cupcakes

Oh! A great way to "ice" chocolate cupcakes for kids? Take them out of the oven, put a marshmallow on top of each, put them back in the oven for a minute or two (just until the marshmallows start to swell), take them out and and gently mash the marshmallow. They are non-messy to carry and look so fun!

:willy_nilly: That jello is AMAZING!!! I can't wait to show the kids!! I'm making that for our next party. (vegan version though)

thanks!

Pecan Pie

Pecan Pie Cookies

Derby Pie

Derby Pie Cookies

Basically the cookie version has a shortbread base and a thin pie filling on top.

I would just keep trying different recipes until you find the one that makes your family tell you "please bring it again".

I think so much is about presentation. I make a really simple cold pasta salad that has:

1 box tri-color rotini cooked al dente, rinsed, and cooled

1/2 cup fresh (real) shredded parmesan

3 cups of chopped basil

2 pints cherry tomatoes.

olive oil and fresh lemon juice to taste.

I put it in a pretty clear glass bowl and garnish with some fresh basil on top. Super simple but gets rave reviews I think because it just looks so fresh.

Oops, this isn't a dessert, but I think the same theory about presentation holds. Something with style and color is always popular.

Brazillian Potato Salad is always a hit. http://www.food.com/recipe/brazilian-potato-salad-aka-107780

For incredibly easy and in no way remotely healthy: Brownie S'mores: http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/smores-brownies/81b22908-4183-4a65-80e5-72fe2c6af02e

only I don't break up the graham crackers. I do the marshmallow step and then press the whole graham cracker on top.