Menu

I never thought I'd look at a box curr, but now looking at Sonlight

I never thought I'd be interested in a box curr., but I'm now interested in SL. We are Catholic, so I'd need to do different Bible curr. I love AAS and would continue that. I love RS/Singapore Math and would likely continue that. Teaching Textbooks as always been an option for me if I needed for the sake of independent teaching.

While I do like FLL and other WTM suggestions, a well planned out Lit based program is very appealing. I've heard the IGs have ?s to ask the children about their readings. This is very appealing to me.

I also like the focus on World Missions. I know as a Catholic I would omit most of their choices, but I would replace that with our own choices focused on missions.

I'm sure there are many threads for me to starting researching, but if anyone has input to share here, I'd love to read it.

Thanks

We have tried one true boxed curriculum (Calvert - can you say boring and tedious-, WTM and now SL from a WTM model...SL really isn't a true boxed curriculum - sure, you can get a full curriculum from them, but most people mix and match - whatever math you like (they do sell singapore), whatever spelling (they have AAS), and whatever LA you like (theirs is optional), as well as electives. What really "makes" (or breaks) SL is the core - which is history, read alouds and readers - which from the American History cores (D) until the high school cores, are tied to the history. Although I personnally overall liked SoTW better than Cores B/C, I LOVE the American History - and I love the books, and I love that I don't HAVE to go to the library, or spend hours searching for readers that match the history, etc. I like having a schedule to work from, although we don't stick to it literally, and I love the character building that is in these books.

We are Episcopalian, so have modified the Bible portion of SL, and when reading the mission based books (which I haven't skipped, because my younger kids in particular, love them - oldest is getting a bit cynical at the ripe age of 11...) I simply modify how we discuss them - and we are doing a secular science...but all that stuff (bible, science) is also optional with SL.

I was drawn to it for the literature - my younger 2 are good readers, and my middle was quite advanced, but I had trouble getting her interested in reading "harder" books (could read at 5th grade level in 1st, but really only with SL has graduated from flying ponies and fairies to Old Yeller and Sing Down the Moon...). Oldest is dyslexic and I thought carefully about a literature based program, but WTM suggestions for grade level were definitely too hard for him - SL has helped him like to read enough to struggle when it gets hard - got him convinced he could do it...

For us, its been great for American History and I think I'll use it for Eastern Hemisphere studies, then probably back to full WTM...but it doesn't work for everyone, and I would say especially if try to do it all...

Erin

We have tried one true boxed curriculum (Calvert - can you say boring and tedious-, WTM and now SL from a WTM model...SL really isn't a true boxed curriculum - sure, you can get a full curriculum from them, but most people mix and match - whatever math you like (they do sell singapore), whatever spelling (they have AAS), and whatever LA you like (theirs is optional), as well as electives. What really "makes" (or breaks) SL is the core - which is history, read alouds and readers - which from the American History cores (D) until the high school cores, are tied to the history. Although I personnally overall liked SoTW better than Cores B/C, I LOVE the American History - and I love the books, and I love that I don't HAVE to go to the library, or spend hours searching for readers that match the history, etc. I like having a schedule to work from, although we don't stick to it literally, and I love the character building that is in these books.

We are Episcopalian, so have modified the Bible portion of SL, and when reading the mission based books (which I haven't skipped, because my younger kids in particular, love them - oldest is getting a bit cynical at the ripe age of 11...) I simply modify how we discuss them - and we are doing a secular science...but all that stuff (bible, science) is also optional with SL.

I was drawn to it for the literature - my younger 2 are good readers, and my middle was quite advanced, but I had trouble getting her interested in reading "harder" books (could read at 5th grade level in 1st, but really only with SL has graduated from flying ponies and fairies to Old Yeller and Sing Down the Moon...). Oldest is dyslexic and I thought carefully about a literature based program, but WTM suggestions for grade level were definitely too hard for him - SL has helped him like to read enough to struggle when it gets hard - got him convinced he could do it...

For us, its been great for American History and I think I'll use it for Eastern Hemisphere studies, then probably back to full WTM...but it doesn't work for everyone, and I would say especially if try to do it all...

Erin

thank you. this was very helpful. the section in bold is exactly what I'm looking for. I want to have questions ready on hand to discuss books and to get DS1 interested in books. My gut says I'd agree w/ you on liking other world history better and enjoying SL American history. Maybe this is something I should look into for that time.

I'm really interested in what people like about the IG's.

As someone who thought a boxed curriculum would make life a breeze, I'll offer some caution.

If you expect to be doing bunches of substitution, why buy the boxed curriculum and schedule?

Emily

I'm most interested in the reading and having the IG to support the reading. If I went w/ SL, I'd be using it mainly for that purpose.

In the lower levels, the guides never asked the questions I'd want to discuss with my kids. I focus more on narration, or bringing up points I want to discuss either based on my own reading of the book or on their narration. I'm hoping this will be different with the 100 level guides...but I don't know! I mainly use the schedule and articles in the appendix in the lower levels (I know the 100 guide has lots of commentary & we'll likely use that--my son is looking forward to that part).

Merry :-)

I did portions of P3/4-Core 1--my kids are 6, almost 5, and 3. Love most of the books, really don't like the IG. I, too, was interested in having the IG to support the reading, but in the lower cores the questions/notes are just not worth the price, imho. I can come up with better questions on the fly, and google what a platypus looks like;). In the higher cores, I'm guessing it would be more useful. I'd check out the 3-week samples they have and see what you think. 'Course, I did that, thought it looked great, and then it drove me nuts to actually use it:). Guess it's a learning process, huh? :) I know a lot of people have tweaked it in a way that works for them, though.

We use SL (and have for three years) for history, readalouds and readers. You can read in my siggie the rest of the "stuff" we use. I love the books SL chooses (for the most part), and I love that the IG schedules things out for me, putting together the readers, literature readalouds and history spine. I don't tweak the schedule - I use it as written, but many people tweak it. I have used the IG questions off and on, but I tend to do my own discussion questions as they come up while doing the read alouds. I have never used SL's Bible. My kids have really enjoyed the books scheduled by SL.

SL as we use it is a program which has worked very well for us for three years, and we will use it next year. We have done Cores 1+2, 3, and 4 so far. There are not too many missions-oriented books, really. I don't think that Missionary Stories with the Millers would bother many Christians. It is evangelical by definition, but it is chock full of real life stories which often brought me to tears. My oldest son loved it and begged for more the year we read it. This year, in Core 4, we read In Search of the Source, which was a real life story of missionaries to New Guinea who were Bible translators.

I think, as a fellow catholic, you'll soon be a little tuned off to find yourself supporting a company which seeks to evangelize happy catholics worldwide.

I'm curious what leads you to this conclusion. I've not ever gotten that impression from SL. (But I am protestant, not Catholic, so I may have well missed that bent.)

I'm curious what leads you to this conclusion. I've not ever gotten that impression from SL. (But I am protestant, not Catholic, so I may have well missed that bent.)

On the forums catholics were told to be careful what they said bc posting anything that might "pull an evangelical away" from their faith was not allowed and grounds for moderation and penalisation.

Core 5 specifically addresses several "unreached people" segments towards catholics. Japan comes immediately to mind.

The book Torches of Joy (which a fellow SLer once referred to as Tortures of joy) has an entire anti catholic section, IIRC.

There is a SL Catholic yahoo group for catholics interested in using SL. I used cores 1+2 through Core 6 before I grew tired of SL's business practices, forum management and materials.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SL-Catholic/files/

On the forums catholics were told to be careful what they said bc posting anything that might "pull an evangelical away" from their faith was not allowed and grounds for moderation and penalisation.

Core 5 specifically addresses several "unreached people" segments towards catholics. Japan comes immediately to mind.

The book Torches of Joy (which a fellow SLer once referred to as Tortures of joy) has an entire anti catholic section, IIRC.

There is a SL Catholic yahoo group for catholics interested in using SL. I used cores 1+2 through Core 6 before I grew tired of SL's business practices, forum management and materials.

Thank you for sharing this. I don't use the forums there so I would have missed that. I'm not sure why a company would have a bent that would seek to evangelize Catholics.:confused:

I haven't seen that particular book, but it isn't like Japan is a Catholic nation. It isn't a Christian nation at all. I guess maybe I'd have to see the book to understand what you are saying.

I am in the same situation as OP. I have heard from so many people who love SL. I have also heard from many people who say the IG isn't worth the money since the discussion questions aren't worth the price (and it isn't hard to just read the books at their own pace). Someone on here told me that the company has changed to a new person in charge who isn't as open to Catholocism as the last person so it has been getting more negative. For those reasons, I am going to buy the books on Amazon (the ones that I want) and forego buying the cores. That is a totally personal opinion though. I do LOVE the idea of meshing history and lit and the books they use are great (for the most part). I wish there was a Catholic version of SL. I am looking at RC history as a possibility.

I am in the same situation as OP. I have heard from so many people who love SL. I have also heard from many people who say the IG isn't worth the money since the discussion questions aren't worth the price (and it isn't hard to just read the books at their own pace). Someone on here told me that the company has changed to a new person in charge who isn't as open to Catholocism as the last person so it has been getting more negative. For those reasons, I am going to buy the books on Amazon (the ones that I want) and forego buying the cores. That is a totally personal opinion though. I do LOVE the idea of meshing history and lit and the books they use are great (for the most part). I wish there was a Catholic version of SL. I am looking at RC history as a possibility.

I saw your thread after mine. I think I'm in the same boat as you. I will continue RC Connect and CWH for now.

I don't have any experience with Sonlight. But I do use Kolbe Academy's Elementary Literature program with my ds who is in 4th grade. (Actually, I'm registered with Kolbe, but you could just get the Elem. Lit course if you wanted) I recommend it, both for the good selection, and the discussion questions. Of course, you're looking for an earlier grade, and Kolbe uses a reader with discussion questions. Personally, I have found that even though my kids will learn from those discussions, they don't really enjoy them (they do enjoy the books though). I've wanted them to have books to read that they could simply enjoy without the burden of work attached to it (which can make a kid not want to read). I think what got my ds to love reading was a lot of read aloud time with me, and then having engaging engaging books (that weren't particularly challenging for his reading level). He responds most to discussing what parts of the book we like the most, what characters you like the most etc... Simple stuff, not what I would do for reading comprehension, but more likely to instill an early love of reading, IMO.

Afterthought - I will say though, that the Catholic National Readers (which come with some comprehension questions, and for which Kolbe supplies even more) have some really good stories, that the kids enjoy reading, even when they know they'll be answering questions afterwards.

Edited by Ramie

I've been able to get the older versions of the IGs bundled with the main history books fairly cheaply on Ebay, and then piece together the list.

I know that Windows on the World has a section that lists Haitian Catholics as "unreached peoples". I'm LCMS and that was enough to make me decide to use "Children like me" instead of "Windows on the World"-my gut feeling is that if they believe Catholics need salvation, they probably wouldn't be too thrilled with the "almost Catholic" conservative Lutherans either :).

There's a Sonlight Secular Yahoo group that I've found helpful in choosing which books to order and which to skip. Not because I'm 100% secular, but because the books that the secular folks have trouble with are most often the ones that aren't going to entirely agree with my LCMS views.

Heart of Dakota is often used by catholics, and has wonderful discussion questions!! It offers so much more than SL in many areas, including the fantastic questions, and wonderful hands on that is meaningful and yet, simple enough it actually gets done! There was recently a post on WTM about why people do NOT like SL.....

From a Catholic Sonlight fan...

We are a Catholic homeschooling family who have used bits and pieces of Sonlight every year that we have homeschooled thus far, 5 years!

I have done the Pre-K books without a sonlight guide because they are excellent literature choices.

We have done the kindergarten read-alouds with a guide. And for the past several years have done the readers and language arts that were originally grade 1, 2 intermediate and 2 advanced. Next year we are planning to do the ones that were originally 2 easy, but probably going to do the Kolbe literature guide with daughter entering 4th. We would be at core 3, and have done American history already, as well as I don't want the books they have selected to go along with the core as readers. I want more classic literature.

I buy 90% of my "sonlight" books used, at our local homeschool store, half-price books store, or paperbackswap online.

I do plan to return to Sonlight for 5th grade though and do a full core including history for Eastern Hemisphere. While I do not do their bible studies, I find the sonlight guides are wonderful and easy to use. I like the way they are laid out, and they do give you options to pick and choose.

I have many Catholic homeschooling friends who use almost nothing but Sonlight. Only substituting for bible and science. They still pick and choose their way through the book list. The benefit of homeschooling.

I also use the yahoo catholic sonlight forum and love it for the wisdom of the ladies on there, as well as the information they have in their lists ( someone actually has scheduled out the option of adding All Ye Lands from the catholic textbook project along with core 5 and 6).

Good luck in your choices.

Heart of Dakota is often used by catholics, and has wonderful discussion questions!! It offers so much more than SL in many areas, including the fantastic questions, and wonderful hands on that is meaningful and yet, simple enough it actually gets done! There was recently a post on WTM about why people do NOT like SL.....

I was just going to say...a little more digging around and maybe you'll start considering Heart of Dakota! ;) We love it. Great literature. Do your own math, reading, LA or you can do their suggestions.

• 2 months later...

This year we're doing Core 6 - now Core G with All Ye Lands. There is a Catholic Sonlight Yahoo group that is loaded with families that use SL and ARE Catholic. SL is NOT anti-Catholic. The aforementioned message about the SL forums was semi-correct. There were issues on the Life Long Learners Board that got out of hand. Although I do think there was a harsher view of the Catholics I don't believe it was the intent to tell Catholics specifically they couldn't convert others - just that SL is a Christian company and that anyone (secular, Catholic, Muslim etc) who was trying to convert people or using the forums to such an end would not be welcomed on the forums.

But back to the topic at hand. We started this week, and it has been good. As a matter of fact the yahoo group has a file with a schedule for Core G and All Ye Lands. In addition the files are full to the brim with substitution/red flags etc to help you navigate SL.

HTH,

JoAnne

John and Sarita Holzman own SL. John USED to run the company, he stepped aside and Sarita has taken over... they are husband and wife, so I don't think the change is as dramatic as people might think.

John might have appeared more open but he has ALWAYS stated (even on the SL Cath yahoo group) that he is an Evangelical Christian. There has/still is IMO a tolerance. No, they are not Catholic... some of the books have ALWAYS had a Protestant missionary slant. That has not changed or become more abundant. The cores are pretty much the same now as they were when John was in charge. It's VERY easy to substitute a book here or there or delete the Bible portion. If you are indeed interested I suggest you look into it. There is a gaurantee just read the fine print. Also remember what works in one household doesn't necessarily work in another and vice versa.

JoAnne

I know that Windows on the World has a section that lists Haitian Catholics as "unreached peoples". I'm LCMS and that was enough to make me decide to use "Children like me" instead of "Windows on the World"-my gut feeling is that if they believe Catholics need salvation, they probably wouldn't be too thrilled with the "almost Catholic" conservative Lutherans either :).

My church sends medical mission teams to work with Haitians. From what I understand, it is quite common for "Catholic" Haitians to practice voodoo as their main religion. Maybe that is why they are sometimes considered unreached people.

I love SL. I've used it since the Pre-K level and we have just begun Core 5. I mainly use it for the history, literature, science and readers. I have also used some of the bible, but have often opted to just read out of a children's bible. I do not use SL's LA. Obviously, it works for some families, but you don't hear too much about people happily using the LA. I pick my own math, spelling, grammar, etc. SL is the highlight of our homeschooling time together.

Lisa

I spent this morning looking through their free catalog and daydreaming about the "ease" & happiness I might feel in being able to just click "1st grade" (and 2nd, 6th, Pre) and get everything I'd need in a box. Especially because I just spent many hours finding the "perfect" things to order for us this year & placing orders from 6 different places. But when it comes down to it, the cost is 10x what I'm spending for this year.

This year we're doing Core 6 - now Core G with All Ye Lands. There is a Catholic Sonlight Yahoo group that is loaded with families that use SL and ARE Catholic. SL is NOT anti-Catholic. The aforementioned message about the SL forums was semi-correct. There were issues on the Life Long Learners Board that got out of hand. Although I do think there was a harsher view of the Catholics I don't believe it was the intent to tell Catholics specifically they couldn't convert others - just that SL is a Christian company and that anyone (secular, Catholic, Muslim etc) who was trying to convert people or using the forums to such an end would not be welcomed on the forums.

But back to the topic at hand. We started this week, and it has been good. As a matter of fact the yahoo group has a file with a schedule for Core G and All Ye Lands. In addition the files are full to the brim with substitution/red flags etc to help you navigate SL.

HTH,

JoAnne

Wow! Thanks for this information!

You might be interested in the Kolbe Academy which is Catholic. I have heard that they will be using Catholic Textbook league history books and Singapore Math in the future as well. Their literature program looks excellent as well. They are affordable too. I have not used it but have strongly considered it and will keep it as an option for the future. We will be using Calvert with a WTM twist this upcoming year:D I researched it carefully and honestly it does not look boring and it looks very thorough:) Calvert is secular.

Have you looked at Mater Amabilis? I selected MA because it is Catholic, has strong literature, and is reasonably priced. I also felt that I needed to challenge my dd with more difficult literature readings this year, and I really like not having to screen and substitute anti-Catholic books.

My dc use Sonlight readers for 2nd and 3rd grades, and I agree that the discussion questions aren't the ones I would naturally pick. The questions are more fact-and-answer questions than discussion provoking.

I am keeping an eye on the Kolbe Literature Guides. They look really, really good. The price is a pretty big bite all at once. I wish I could spread it out over each year.

You might be interested in the Kolbe Academy which is Catholic. I have heard that they will be using Catholic Textbook league history books and Singapore Math in the future as well. Their literature program looks excellent as well. They are affordable too. I have not used it but have strongly considered it and will keep it as an option for the future. We will be using Calvert with a WTM twist this upcoming year:D I researched it carefully and honestly it does not look boring and it looks very thorough:) Calvert is secular.

Acutally - Calvert is a calvonist company. Child's History of the World is ANYTHING but secular and was written by Calvert.

Acutally - Calvert is a calvonist company. Child's History of the World is ANYTHING but secular and was written by Calvert.

Yes but they clearly state their materials are secular. As for 100 years ago when they started, I do not have that info. Also, their curricula is approved by the Maryland Department of Education.

http://homeschool.calvertschool.org/about-calvert/historyphilosophy

I just attended an online presentation and they clearly stated their materials are secular. Plus many public cyber charter schools use Calvert and are not allowed to use religious materials. I will try bto research this further but I believe it is secular bases on what I have learned so far.