Menu

Good reading for 14 yr old boy

My son is a voracious reader and I've about come to the end of my knowledge of good reading.....

Walking through the shelves of YA - young adult- reading at the library on Tuesday, I was struck by how MUCH of it is oriented towards girls, vampires and death. It was pretty depressing..

If you have suggestions for action stories - with decent characters, please, mysteries, biographies, I'd all ears. :bigear:

I'm going to assume he's read Ender's Game, Artemis Fowl etc.

I know my boys liked Call of the Wild, and my oldest went through a period of grisly historical fiction. The Killer Angels (American Civil War) comes to mind, and I remember several WWII novels. I will ask him, as I only remember Schindler's List and The Book Theif. My younger ds liked The Last Mission (you might want to preread that one...)

Has he read Jurassic Park and the like? That's a surprsingly good book. ;) War of the Worlds? The Lost World? Animal Farm? 1984? Chaim Potak novels? To Kill a Mockingbird?

Edited by LibraryLover

Is he up for classics? I kow some kids won't give them the time of day, but hey- you could try :)

Twain is wonderful, if he hasn't already read him (Connecticut Yankee, Huckleberry Finn, etc) and my 13 yo son's favorite author.

What about James Fenimore Cooper? Frekles by Stratton-Porter is also excellent.

Oh! Rudyard Kipling,,, Kim is great...

I'm going to assume he's read Ender's Game, Artemis Fowl etc.

I know my boys liked Call of the Wild, and my oldest went through a period of grisly historical fiction. The Killer Angels (American Civil War) comes to mind, and I remember several WWII novels. I will ask him, as I only remember Schindler's List and The Book Theif. My younger ds liked The Last Mission (you might want to preread that one...)

Has he read Jurassic Park and the like? That's a surprsingly good book. ;) War of the Worlds? The Lost World? Animal Farm? 1984? Chaim Potak novels? To Kill a Mockingbird?

If he likes historical fiction - Jeff Shaara has several really good books. I really enjoyed his WWII series. They weren't too graphic but you got a really good feel for the times.

Hunger Games, Pendragon series by D.J. McHale, The Book Thief and I am Messenger by Mark Zusak, Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr (true faeries-a bit violent but really good strong characters), Artemis Fowl series (definitely boy oriented), Eragon series, Chocolate War by Robert Cormier.

These are some of my YA favorites. My 11yo loved the Artemis Fowl series.

I don't have any problems with sci-fi, paranormal stuff though. If you have moral objections to some of these issues, please preview before getting them for your ds. I Am Messenger and The Book Thief are absolutely brilliant, IMHO. They present strong characters with moral dilemas. The characters struggle and fight for what is right in an ambiguous world. I can't say enough good things about these books and their author.

Echoing Pendragon and Ranger's Apprentice series.

How about Percy Jackson, and the other two new series by Rick Riordan?

Chris D'Lacey's Last Dragon Chronicles series

Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage

Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz

Redwall series by Brian Jacques

Secrets of the Immortal Flamel by Michael Scott

And the series by Brandon Mull, and Bryan Davis.

How about....

Into Thin Air (& other books on Nat'l Geographic's list of 100 Greatest Adventure Books of All Time)

I was going to mention # 53, The Long Walk. Thanks for saving me the trouble of looking up how to spell the author's name. :-)

53. The Long Walk, by Slavomir Rawicz (1956) The author, a Polish cavalry officer, and six other men escaped from a Siberian prison camp in 1941, walked across Mongolia and the Gobi, through Tibet and the Himalaya, enduring incredible hardship all the way. Four of them made it to India and safety. It is a 3,000-mile (4,830-kilometer) epic, truly grand.

Lyons Press, 1997.