Menu

How are those in the Greater KC area & Sedalia, MO? Tornado related.

We just spent a while in our basement. We actually watched a funnel cloud go over our house. Then we went up to the second floor and watched one travel up from south to north, east of our home.

There have been brief touchdowns all over the metro area. These twisters are weak but numerous. I am curious to see the actual count once this system is past.

The meteorologists were advising everyone to take cover because this weather system was acting oddly and it was difficult to tell where the storm might spin out a twister. Weird, wild stuff....

We are thanking the Lord that these were in no way comparable to the tornadoes that have struck the region in the past few days. Nerve-wracking, but not comparable.

Thanks for asking. I am eager to hear from Elegantlion, hope she checks in, I think one of the stronger parts of the storm system was tracking her way.

Tornadoes in KC. I'm hearing reports of damage in Sedalia. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43164389/ns/weather/?gt1=43001 Any homeschoolers from there? Are you okay? :grouphug:

The twister that touched down in Miami County is the one that bounced over our house. It was going up and down all the way north through the metro area, touching down here and there.

There have been brief touchdowns all over the metro area. These twisters are weak but numerous. I am curious to see the actual count once this system is past.

Thanks for asking. I am eager to hear from Elegantlion, hope she checks in, I think one of the stronger parts of the storm system was tracking her way.

I'll be interested to know how many as well. The KMBC blog has lots of pictures of different tornadoes that people have sent in. Crazy!

Bumping up for ElegantLion. :grouphug:

I spent the morning in the basement but all tornados were south of me by half an hour. On the plus side since I was stuck in the basement I had no reason to not work on the ironing I've been putting off for a while.

We're here. Major parts of the storm turned right before it hit us. We got rain and wind, no hail or tornadoes.

there were supposedly some brief touchdowns 30 minutes south and about 15 minutes north, too close for comfort.

A baby robin decided to fly the nest right before the storm. He spent the storm under our covered porch. I've been anxious to see them fly, but not this way.

We're here. Major parts of the storm turned right before it hit us. We got rain and wind, no hail or tornadoes.

there were supposedly some brief touchdowns 30 minutes south and about 15 minutes north, too close for comfort.

A baby robin decided to fly the nest right before the storm. He spent the storm under our covered porch. I've been anxious to see them fly, but not this way.

Awww.. Thanks for checking in, everyone.

I spent the morning in the basement but all tornados were south of me by half an hour. On the plus side since I was stuck in the basement I had no reason to not work on the ironing I've been putting off for a while.

We rearranged boxes in the basement. :glare: Glad you were able to get your ironing done.

I sent my kids to the basement (where they proceeded to pull out all kinds of stuff that was packed away!) and I took my photo albums and a hard drive down there! But I stayed up and watched the news. I think one touched down about a mile from me. My husband had to go into a stairwell at work.

This is the only time in my adult life I've ever gone to the basement for weather, and only once as a kid. I think the Joplin thing has got everyone scared, too. The thing that freaked me out was that I can't really hear the sirens from inside my house and I wasn't watching TV. So I had no idea what was going on. A friend called me!

We're good in Lee's Summit, the storm actually went North & South of us and we barely even got any rain. DH works in Kansas City and he is fine too.

I'm concerned about STL - my folks & brother's family are in the path now. UGH!

Blessings,

Angela

Praying that your family is safe!

This is near where we live. You can see DH's work from here (toward the end of the video) Our sirens went off for a good 1.5 hours off and on. Thankfully no one was hurt, DH spent an hour in the stairwells, but nothing happened. WHEW!

http://www.fox4kc.com/news/wdaf-video-storm-rotation-over-leawoof-20110525,0,2955010.story

Here's another picture of that one... taken by my dd from our basement window!

post-2371-13535084903723_thumb.jpg

post-2371-13535084903723_thumb.jpg

Yikes, Auntie M.

Funny thing, it didn't look that defined to the naked eye. We could see the white, wispy, fast moving edges, and it was obviously not travelling towards our house. I guess something about the camera is...I dunno, like a polarized lens? If I had seen then what the camera revealed a few minutes later, I would have shoved them all under dh's work bench!

When we went out at about 3:15pm, we saw that right around the corner (say, SSSW of us), a big wooden Rainbow play set looked like it had been lifted up and dropped, a big evergreen tree was snapped off clean about 2 feet off the ground and was lying appx 15 feet away, and a large maple across the street had been spun in half. Thankfully, there appeared to be no damage whatsoever to the homes. Weird...

It's all about an hour away from us now. I've had a bad headache for a while, I wonder if it's pressure in the air or something. We've all got our shoes on and our flashlights ready to dive in our little hole in the ground tornado shelter. I hate going in that thing, you can't tell what's going on above you :tongue_smilie:

Prayers appreciated and praying for all.

Peace. Be still, in Jesus's name.

Alison

It's all about an hour away from us now. I've had a bad headache for a while, I wonder if it's pressure in the air or something. We've all got our shoes on and our flashlights ready to dive in our little hole in the ground tornado shelter. I hate going in that thing, you can't tell what's going on above you :tongue_smilie:

Prayers appreciated and praying for all.

Peace. Be still, in Jesus's name.

Alison

Let us know when you are out! :grouphug:

Crawled out about 10 minutes ago. I think we'll have round 2 in awhile. Strong winds hit a few miles away, I've heard 60 and 80 miles, but I don't think ours was thatbad. We had a ton of rain in a short amount of time, it was raining sideways from the wind.

Thanks for the :grouphug: :), much appreciated.

Alison

I live in Overland Park (KC), but I'm out of town in St Louis. I haven't been able to figure out if our house has been affected by the KC tornadoes so if anyone has details on the KC touchdowns, please pm me. We spent time in the basement in St Louis this evening, but we're safe.

Those storms were pretty crazy. KC is pretty wide spread and sirens were going off all over the city.

No kidding. My sister is 45 minutes south of me and they had tornados there. I had dinner with some friends an hour north of me and they spent time in their basements too. That's a big gap for the storm to have come through.

I'm in St. Louis county and we are in the basement. Tornados have been spotted minutes away from us. We went through this on Good Friday when one did considerable damage 2-3 minutes from us.

We were in St Louis this weekend (Maryland Heights area) and saw some of the damage. Crazy. It still looked like a war zone in parts.

I live in Overland Park (KC), but I'm out of town in St Louis. I haven't been able to figure out if our house has been affected by the KC tornadoes so if anyone has details on the KC touchdowns, please pm me. We spent time in the basement in St Louis this evening, but we're safe.

I'm in your neck of the woods and I haven't heard about much destruction here. Mostly it was Louisburg and Belton. There was a tornado at 119th and Roe but no damages is what I heard. Couldn't have been too big of a tornado because that area is so dense with buildings it seems like something would have been hit.

Stay safe tonight!

My husband works at the Sprint Campus in OP. He said that there really wasn't much/or any damage that he knew of in the area.

My family lives in OP/Olathe. Sounds like there were some touchdowns at 137th & Metcalf (my sis lives at 139th!) and a few between there and State Line heading northeast, but nothing serious. Stay safe!