Menu

Catholics, how would you answer this objection?

Holly, I grew up in a Catholic church in a Western European country and we were (oddly enough) never encouraged to read the Bible ourselves. The priest was preaching on Sundays and we knelt and said "Amen". Perhaps she got the same impression about praying - that you don't pray yourself which is not true, at least not where I grew up. However, many of the prayers were "prescribed" and learned by rote.

Had it not been for my girlfriend's Lutheran youth group, I would not have heard anything about reading the Bible and speaking to God without a script. Today's Catholic churches have supposedly changed (I am not snarky but say supposedly because I have not been in one for twenty years) and this should over time change a non-Catholic's perception as well.

I once talked to a South American Catholic family (can't remember which country) and they told me that they were told not to read the Bible. They said it was the priest's job. They were shocked that I would read mine myself! And they were very intrigued and curious as if I was doing something naughty but tempting. I'm sure that varies widely around the world, but it surprised me quite a bit.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just so you know, I never laughed. I was amazed, and did briefly wonder if I'd stumbled into an alternate reality.

I chuckle at myself. I certainly would not blame you for laughing (nor would I take offense...as Ginger has laughed at me/with me a bit over the years).

Alternate reality :lol:

Edited by mommaduck

I once talked to a South American Catholic family (can't remember which country) and they told me that they were told not to read the Bible. They said it was the priest's job. They were shocked that I would read mine myself! And they were very intrigued and curious as if I was doing something naughty but tempting. I'm sure that varies widely around the world, but it surprised me quite a bit.

I sometimes wonder if this isn't due to one of two things and then later became a "cultural" taboo more than a religious one:

It may have started out as a simpler command of not INTERPRETING the Bible on your own, be under the guidance of an instructor (the priest, a monk, an abbess, etc) and it got turned on it's head with "don't read the Bible". This would have initially been meant to prevent the "lone ranger" or "my bible and me" syndrome which often leads to false prophets and heresy.

It is quite humbling...especially sitting here and thinking, "anyone that has known me long enough could sit here and laugh their rear off at me"...quite a 180 and humble crow pie.

I know that feeling so very, very well. Even those who only know me through these boards could rightly have a good laugh at my expense. When I think of some of the things I used to say . . . :blushing: Oh my.

I sometimes wonder if this isn't due to one of two things and then later became a "cultural" taboo more than a religious one:

It may have started out as a simpler command of not INTERPRETING the Bible on your own, be under the guidance of an instructor (the priest, a monk, an abbess, etc) and it got turned on it's head with "don't read the Bible". This would have initially been meant to prevent the "lone ranger" or "my bible and me" syndrome which often leads to false prophets and heresy.

I hope you don't find this offensive but I found the bolded above to be such a humorous way of expressing that problem. :lol: I'm going to have to find a way to work that expression into conversation today.

Mrs. Twain, I was raised Protestant and became Catholic. One thing I most regret is that I read the bible in light of my own and the minister's ideas and not in its entirety in light of the writings of the early Christians. The Catholic faith is profoundly beautiful and not at all as you imagine it. I've never met a Catholic who thinks the sacraments are a free ticket to heaven, but I knew many Protestants who indulged in their own ideas about God and scripture, rarely agreeing on any point.

Amen, sister!!!

My husband and I have been lifelong Protestants and just converted to Catholicism this past Easter. I wholeheartedly agree with you, 100%. :iagree:

Me too. It is an interesting process going from evangelical Christian to Catholic Christian. :001_smile: I do think there is a good deal of humility gained when you reassess what you've been taught your entire life, go back to the beginnings of Christianity and dig through theology and decide for yourself what you believe to be true. I think this may be why so many converts are so defensive of the faith, they remember their own preconceived ideas and want those misconceptions stamped out!

:iagree:

Not only does the Church wants its members to read the Bible, it is strongly encouraged! There are publications with the daily readings, I even have an ap on my iPhone that is the Missal for the year.

This is an excellent resource written by Fr. John Riccardo (who I think is an amazingly energetic and well-spoken priest - I get his free podcasts and listen, in fact his entire RCIA series is freaking fantastic).

Catholics Reading The Bible:

http://www.olgcparish.net/files/frjohn/handouts/readbibletalk1.pdf

I hope you don't find this offensive but I found the bolded above to be such a humorous way of expressing that problem. :lol: I'm going to have to find a way to work that expression into conversation today.

Unfortunately, these are common phrases and I've had the misfortune of knowing a few too many of these people (and I mean the EXTREME of these kinds...not just your common independent). One currently insists that the world is ending in 2048, because God directly told him and God handed him an "original ancient text of Hebrew Scriptures". (and of course, he won't show them to anyone ;) ) Another kept his family in isolation, visited many churches just to debate the pastors, refused to join any church, etc. His wife died (she was not quite like him, but more of the "go along to get along" type) and I sometimes wonder and worry about their other children under his care. It's really a sad situation. Also, it's easier to find oneself in odd groups when you are looking for groups that believe in your interpretation. I've seen too much, too many families hurt and broken, etc.

Edited by mommaduck

Not only does the Church wants its members to read the Bible, it is strongly encouraged! There are publications with the daily readings, I even have an ap on my iPhone that is the Missal for the year.

This is an excellent resource written by Fr. John Riccardo (who I think is an amazingly energetic and well-spoken priest - I get his free podcasts and listen, in fact his entire RCIA series is freaking fantastic).

Catholics Reading The Bible:

http://www.olgcparish.net/files/frjohn/handouts/readbibletalk1.pdf

And the Scriptures are read at every Mass, I believe (I know they are for Divine Liturgy...there is so much Scripture that is read you can't go to service and NOT come away with it)

And the hit and run posters somehow think that by posting a scripture verse or two, that should end the argument, because you know Catholics don't read the Bible. :tongue_smilie:

What they seem to miss is that verses can be taken out of context and that Catholics have a different interpretation of those verses. We have read them, but we just don't agree with their interpretation of them!

What always perplexes me is when I give Protestants Scripture verses that back what I believe as a Catholic, somehow they don't count. :confused: So anybody and his brother can give a Scriptural argument and you'll take it seriously, except little ole Catholic me?

I agree with the previous lone ranger comments, but just want to say, I could post things that priests have told me that do not align with Catholic teachings. It doesn't prove anything. A Catholic regularly attending Mass hears tons of the Bible and is free to pick it up and read it whenever they like.

And the Scriptures are read at every Mass, I believe (I know they are for Divine Liturgy...there is so much Scripture that is read you can't go to service and NOT come away with it)

Way more Scriptures are read at Mass than I ever heard in a Protestant sermon (although to be fair, we used to go to a Calvary Chapel that would read chapters of the Bible in a sermon, that was VERY weird but refreshing...usually the sermons were all about the pastor's interpretation with a verse smattered here and there).

What always perplexes me is when I give Protestants Scripture verses that back what I believe as a Catholic, somehow they don't count. :confused: So anybody and his brother can give a Scriptural argument and you'll take it seriously, except little ole Catholic me?

I'm always amazed when this happens. It is like these particular people have a literal interpretation of the Bible except when it comes to this, that and the other. :glare:

, visited many churches just to debate the pastors,

This is OT, but you just reminded me of my grandfather. My father is not Catholic. He was the 5th of 6 boys and they lived on a farm. My grandpa would take his whole family to a new church and they would attend until the pastor said something he didn't agree with, at which point he would stand up in the middle of the sermon, make his whole family stand up and they would leave. By the time I knew him, he had run out of churches and had built himself a little shack where he would go and crack nuts and read his Bible by himself and make notes in it.

Another amusing story about him - one time a Mormon came to the farm to try to convert them and they got into it over polygamy. The Mormon said, "Nowhere in the Bible does it say that a man can't have two wives!" and my grandpa answered, "Yes, it does. Jesus said that a man can't have two masters!" :lol:

Apologies to all Mormons on the board for perpetuating the stereotype that you all believe in polygamy!

The Mormon said, "Nowhere in the Bible does it say that a man can't have two wives!" and my grandpa answered, "Yes, it does. Jesus said that a man can't have two masters!" :lol:

Apologies to all Mormons on the board for perpetuating the stereotype that you all believe in polygamy!

:lol: And I laugh because it is a part of LDS history, not that the LDS permit it now. Believe it or not, LDS aren't/weren't the only ones that believe polygamy is/was acceptable. (had an LDS lady at the Family History Center chuckle over my embarrassment of having such a person in my family..."honey, we find that all the time in our genealogy!") Can't have two masters...twisted, but cute (and I do hope people understand that no harm is meant).

For you long time Catholics who get tired of these reruns, I want to encourage you to keep rehashing it. I probably took part in one of those long winded rerun threads, but it put seeds in my heart for the next few months when I was going to be making some more drastic turns that eventually turned me toward the RCC. Those discussions cracked the concrete for the later lessons, you know? So thank you for your long suffering. :grouphug:

For you long time Catholics who get tired of these reruns, I want to encourage you to keep rehashing it. I probably took part in one of those long winded rerun threads, but it put seeds in my heart for the next few months when I was going to be making some more drastic turns that eventually turned me toward the RCC. Those discussions cracked the concrete for the later lessons, you know? So thank you for your long suffering. :grouphug:

I know that Parrothead impressed me with her patience and consistency. That made an impression when it came to my own "being dragged to the crossroad" (I say dragged, because I was a staunch puritan with a husband that was saying he was going to go to either the RC or the EO and I could join him or continue wherever I wanted, but I wasn't stopping him! The rest was praying God's Will be done and doing a lot of listening).

Edited by mommaduck

Amen, sister!!!

My husband and I have been lifelong Protestants and just converted to Catholicism this past Easter. I wholeheartedly agree with you, 100%. :iagree:

Congratulations, and Welcome Home!

This is exactly the reason that I usually post once or twice in these threads, even though many times I'm thinking to myself, "Ugh, not again..."

I remember when there was much less open-mindedness on these boards, and the changes have been wonderful to see.:)

And this is true for me, too. I didn't participate in the Are Catholics Christians? type threads before, and I don't know if it was exactly those types of threads that were in my brain, but once I started inquiring into Orthodoxy I remembered Patty Joanna and her comments here on the boards about the Orthodox faith and what the Church believed/practiced. She's the first person I came and found, and messaged. I'm so thankful for the knowledge and experience she'd shared in a gentle, thoughtful way.

I am thankful for these threads, too.

I'm a member of the church of Christ, about as Sola Scriptura as you can get, and my family has been part of the COC for 6 generations.

That said, through the gracious explanations of everyone here I've come to understand and appreciate the Catholic faith so much more. It has sparked an interest in me in exploring my own faith and thinking more... questioningly about some of the explanations I was given as a child. There is undoubtedly a much richer history and purity of thought in the RCC than I ever knew and the conversations here have made me very interested in learning more of it.

I don't mind at all discussing the Catholic faith with anyone who has questions. I certainly don't look at it as long suffering through yet again another Catholic thread.

If you or anyone else has questions please feel free to ask, even in PM if it is something that needs to be asked in a less public manner.

Back to the OP's original questions on page 1. The things I said about my relatives in the first post are actually literally what they think, not to characterize all Catholics everywhere. I wish my relatives would read this thread so that they could see the value of the Bible and having a relationship with God.

Back to the original question, when you told your Baptist friend that you are thinking of going back to Mass, it probably conjured up images like the one I described with my relatives. If I were you, I would tell her that you are interested in renewing your relationship with God, and things like reading the Bible are important. Also, tell her that you know that you don't need to go through the priest to talk to God because Jesus made you right with God through His death on the cross. If you said those kinds of things, I think your Baptist friend would be very enthusiastic.

It isn't you. Not at all. Please don't feel bad. It is the fact that every single time a Catholic thread is posted, we get this response from somebody trying to present misinformation as truth and trying to save us from our faith. That part gets old quickly.

It's not just Catholics that need saving from their faith either. We Anglicans are in trouble too. I'm currently getting invitation after invitation from someone I know to attend her Baptist church, the implication being of course that I need to be saved. Poor woman always gets a very surprised look when I give a reference to scripture and prove I've actually read the book. :D I love her to death but I do wish she'd follow the example of some of the very respectful Baptist ladies I've gotten to know on this board and leave my faith be.

But, as an Anglican I actually have a foot in the Protestant world so I don't get it nearly as bad as Catholics I think.:)

One of the priests on Relevant Radio likes to point out that it was the Catholic Church that decided which of the hundreds of documents making the rounds should be considered inspired, and compiled them into what we call the Bible. IOW, he says, Catholics invented the Bible, and they're just lending it to the Protestants. :lol:

LOL! Thanks for the loaner I guess. :D

It's not just Catholics that need saving from their faith either. We Anglicans are in trouble too. I'm currently getting invitation after invitation from someone I know to attend her Baptist church, the implication being of course that I need to be saved. Poor woman always gets a very surprised look when I give a reference to scripture and prove I've actually read the book. :D I love her to death but I do wish she'd follow the example of some of the very respectful Baptist ladies I've gotten to know on this board and leave my faith be.

But, as an Anglican I actually have a foot in the Protestant world so I don't get it nearly as bad as Catholics I think.:)

I go to an Orthodox church and I get this too. I also had some door to door "missionaries" warn me of the implications of idolatry. :tongue_smilie: I thought they were joking and laughed. They weren't joking and didn't laugh, so I cheerfully invited them to leave.

These comments always make me think of this quote:

"There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be."

— Fulton J. Sheen

I am a cradle Catholic and I have never, in over 40 years of attending Catholic churches several times a week, heard a priest or religion teacher try to justify our faith by putting down someone else's faith or explain why they are wrong. That says something to me.

These comments always make me think of this quote:

"There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be."

— Fulton J. Sheen

I am a cradle Catholic and I have never, in over 40 years of attending Catholic churches several times a week, heard a priest or religion teacher try to justify our faith by putting down someone else's faith or explain why they are wrong. That says something to me.

This is so very true. I've never heard such in the RC or the EO (or out of their people). In Protestant churches (and I've been in many of many different persuasions) I heard it a lot.

This is so very true. I've never heard such in the RC or the EO (or out of their people). In Protestant churches (and I've been in many of many different persuasions) I heard it a lot.

I think this is something I never understood really because I had no idea that other religions were discussed by Protestant churches. We occasionally went to Protestant vacation bible schools as children, but that never happened there. (and I grew up in an area where everyone religious was either Catholic, Muslim, or Greek/Arabic Orthodox. I didn't really have a friend that was a denomination other than that until high school. (and I never heard that from any of them either.)

The idea of discussing another religion while in attendance at a service for a different religion seems odd to me. But I think the whole service would feel odd to me, especially at those giant churches! I saw a parody of that with the lights and bands and screens :lol: and that seems so different to me.

I have to ask this in all seriousness (I'm not being snarky). Do protestant churches actually discuss Catholicism and its beliefs or "beliefs" in church. I mean, the minister actually preaches about Catholicism as his topic? They study it in Sunday school?

I was raised RC and I take the kids to church now and I've never, ever heard a homily or CCE lesson about other faiths.

I've never heard a disparaging word out of any of my Catholic friends' mouths about anyone else's faith, and I am thinking of some people that I have known well, and known for years, and have conversed with many times about religion and faith. But there is a particular Protestant mega-church here in town whose members seem downright eager to explain to anyone and everyone why Catholics aren't really Christians. And these are NOT people that I know well, mere acquaintances. And I'm not the one bringing up the topic, they are. In one case, it was the first time I had met this woman, and it was at a party where I seriously doubt she even knew whether the people around her were Catholic or not, but she started spewing anyway. I wonder if they have any clue that their words reflect badly only on themselves and their own church, and NOT on the Catholic church.

I have to ask this in all seriousness (I'm not being snarky). Do protestant churches actually discuss Catholicism and its beliefs or "beliefs" in church. I mean, the minister actually preaches about Catholicism as his topic? They study it in Sunday school?

I was raised RC and I take the kids to church now and I've never, ever heard a homily or CCE lesson about other faiths.

In a word, yes.

I don't have first hand experience with hearing a minister preaching on the subject, but I have had a friend ask me about things her minister said. What he was saying wasn't reconciling with what she knew of me.

Just to give an idea of how much of the Bible is read at each mass, I think this site explains it well:

http://www.mycatholictradition.com/catholic-mass.html

"The three readings every Sunday Catholic Mass are the first reading, normally from the Old Testament; the second from the Epistles of the New Testament; and the third from the Gospels. A Lector or a reader may read the first and second readings. The priest reads Gospel."

In between the first and second readings, there are readings and responses, often sung, from Psalms.

In weekday masses, the Psalms are included but there is usually no second reading, except on special days.

Parts of Scripture are incorporated throughout the Mass. For example, during the consecration, the priest is speaking the words directly from the Bible as they are the words Jesus spoke at the last supper. The whole Mass is a beautiful prayer! :)

Edited by Teachin'Mine

Yes. Sometimes it was in the context of, "we believe this...unlike the Catholics who do this and this thinking that it (insert whatever fits, "saves them" etc)". Sometimes it was in the context of a topical study, "Reasons for the Reformation", "How the Roman Catholic Church is the Harlot riding on the Beast!", etc. Could be brought up in Sunday School, either by a teacher with a a horse to beat or by someone who was raised Catholic/knew someone that was Catholic/had Catholic relatives...and usually with much pity for the Catholics and their delusions or being misled and much prayer for their Salvation, that they would listen to their friend/relative and "see the light" or "see the errors of their ways".

:lol: :lol: Alrighty then. I have just googled "are Catholics Christian" and read some of the results. That was, um, interesting. If that is what some people are basing their view of the RCC off of, no wonder they are confused. I don't recognize the church they are describing in the critiques either!

My son and I attended a wedding at a Baptist church. The next day he attended church there and I believe that Catholics were mentioned. (There was no Catholic Church within 50 miles and we were only there for less than 48 hours, so our priest gave us permission to miss Mass. My son was curious and wanted to go. I knew I wouldn't enjoy it and spent time with a friend instead.)

However, I do have to say that I once attended Mass, and the priest had been studying Islam (this was shortly after 9/11) and shared his conclusions with us during the homily. But that's the only time I can think of.

:lol: :lol: Alrighty then. I have just googled "are Catholics Christian" and read some of the results. That was, um, interesting. If that is what some people are basing their view of the RCC off of, no wonder they are confused. I don't recognize the church they are describing in the critiques either!

Exactly. And don't get me started on Jack Chick (yes, my childhood churches carried those things...and I believed them at the time).

Not so much whole sermons, but comments based on untruths, yes, and a lot of them.

Yes. Sometimes it was in the context of, "we believe this...unlike the Catholics who do this and this thinking that it (insert whatever fits, "saves them" etc)". Sometimes it was in the context of a topical study, "Reasons for the Reformation", "How the Roman Catholic Church is the Harlot riding on the Beast!", etc. Could be brought up in Sunday School, either by a teacher with a a horse to beat or by someone who was raised Catholic/knew someone that was Catholic/had Catholic relatives...and usually with much pity for the Catholics and their delusions or being misled and much prayer for their Salvation, that they would listen to their friend/relative and "see the light" or "see the errors of their ways".

Yes, like this, exactly. Or that the Catholic Church and the Pope are the Antichrist while studying Revelations. But that particular accusation goes back to the reformation itself.

I agree.

When I was a senior in highschool and my best friend was Lutheran. One day she started telling me how bad the Catholic church was and all the things we were doing wrong. I was, :001_huh::confused:, I had NO IDEA until then that people thought of Catholics differently than other Christian churches.

The whole talking badly about Catholics from the pulpit and other positions of authority has me asking why.

Why do Protestant ministers, theologians and the like keep perpetuating misinformation? Is it because they are afraid members of their church will leave and join the Catholic church? Is it because their teachings can't stand up to honest inquiry?

I don't get it. What's the deal?

Someone should start a separate thread about the things commonly heard about Catholics from the teachings of other Christian churches.

The whole talking badly about Catholics from the pulpit and other positions of authority has me asking why.

Why do Protestant ministers, theologians and the like keep perpetuating misinformation? Is it because they are afraid members of their church will leave and join the Catholic church? Is it because their teachings can't stand up to honest inquiry?

Or they honestly believe what they're saying themselves.

Someone should start a separate thread about the things commonly heard about Catholics from the teachings of other Christian churches.

i could write a book (a very sad book) about the damage that was done to me emotionally, spiritually, and otherwise by the family of the first individual to whom I was married. They were unbelievably anti-RC. I had not EVER in my life (I was only 19 when I met them) met anyone with such prejudice and hate against another faith.

We were married in the RC -- no one from his family came to the wedding or acknowledged that we were married in any way, shape or form. A few years later, communication was begun but suffice to say it was always like negotiating a minefield for me.

At one point, I attended a Bible Study with him at the church where he had grown up - one of the elders of the church began to speak while our small group was gathered. The hate and lies that came from his mouth were shocking....all of it aimed at the RCC and all of it lies. A few days later the Pastor of the church (who was a very reasonable person) called me to apologize as he had been told what had happened.

I think that in many cases, there is long-standing, deep-rooted prejudice and those hateful statements and sentiments are voiced and shared and wrongly made to seem like they are part of the doctrine of a particular congregation. After years and years of it being done, it becomes difficult if not impossible to separate the truth from the hate.

Having grown up in the RCC, I do have to say that I have NEVER heard another Church or faith disparaged in any way there. My experience with untruths and hate was outside of the RCC BUT directed at her.

There are several reasons:

1. you are going to run into the Catholic and Orthodox Churches if you study Church History (the more fundamentalist the church though, the less likely the people are going to study Church History...and the Catholic Church will be targeted more as Orthodoxy was barely known in the States). You have to explain it away.

2. Some of these churches have sprung up as missionary churches in strongly Catholic areas (and not Orthodox areas...had one lady here tell me how the Orthodox Church is a cult and doesn't let their people read the Bible, etc...same accusations as against the RC, but this time the Russians and Eastern Orthodoxy are the targets). Or you happen to be in an area with a decent sized Catholic population. You're people have to know why their neighbours are wrong so they can save them from hell.

3. Protestants are strongly apologetics based. I even used to have a "heresy shelf", where I kept books either from or about certain people and faiths to prove why those faiths were wrong. Orthodoxy isn't like that, it doesn't matter anymore...just my faith matters and if it doesn't agree, well, I don't need a shelf full of books telling me why. However, churches feel it is their duty (and to a certain extent, they are correct...method is questionable though) to teach and protect their flock about/from the dangers of cults/heretical sects/etc.

4. Well, we can't chance any of them running off to another church, now can we?! There is good reason for this one. Example, my husband's great aunt, raised Southern Baptist, was being proselytized by the Jehovah Witnesses when she was much younger. She asked her pastor about them. He told her they were a cult/heretical/etc. She asked how/why. He couldn't tell her, just that they were. Well, that was enough for her to think, "well, I guess I'll check them out and see for myself." She's been a Jehovah's Witness for decades now. The pastor of that church has kicked himself for that response ever since. So the better method is considered to tell them what these other groups believe and how they are wrong, so they don't go (dangerously) investigating them for themselves.

5. those churches may hold certain views that people may find conflicts with in everyday life. Well, those issues need explaining...and the Catholic church (and Paganism) gets blamed for most of them (Parrothead, you'll remember my pet issue with holidays from years ago)..

There might be more, but that is what I can think of.

Edited by mommaduck

Sometimes, although IME in the non-Catholic Christian church, it was more random comments than explicit teaching, KWIM? There are some groups, though, that do make a point of witnessing to Catholics. It was either Steve Ray or Scott Hahn who was in a group in college whose "ministry" was trying to "save" Catholics.:001_rolleyes:

I would hope not. There are discussions like that on some Catholic Internet discussion forums, but that's different.

I've enjoyed the threads about Caltholicism and the Orthodox churches and have spent a few months researching (trying to build up the nerve to actually try one).

I was raised Baptist and when we moved to FL one of the first Baptist churches we tried had almost an entire service on how Catholics weren't Christitans and how much of the congregation had "seen the light" and changed directions.:001_huh: I had never heard it before and we walked out because we were worried about our children hearing such stupidity. It's made me very weary of trying other new churches.

I think that in many cases, there is long-standing, deep-rooted prejudice and those hateful statements and sentiments are voiced and shared and wrongly made to seem like they are part of the doctrine of a particular congregation. After years and years of it being done, it becomes difficult if not impossible to separate the truth from the hate.

This has deep roots, doesn't it? After all it wasn't just a tea tax that led to the American revolution. It was also the Quebec Act that gave rights to Roman Catholics.