Menu

Does anyone bring their own microwave to hotels?

We're hitting Disney and the FPEA convention this coming weekend and it would be nice to be able to breakfast and some lunches in the room. The room has a fridge but no microwave. It's a nice resort....I don't want to look crazy bringing in my own microwave. And I'd need a really small one....and brand recommendations? Any trouble from hotels when bringing a microwave?

I've brought microwaves into hotels in the past-for warming up baby bottles. (GASP-I bottle fed AND heated the formula in the microwave!) No problems from the hotels. Once, I called first and asked about the microwave and they said they could put one in the room for me.

No recs on the actual microwave, but if you're worried about weird looks just put it into big shopping bag.

Jennifer

We do! We've never been given any trouble. We figured if anyone gave us a hard time, we'd tell them about William's food allergies. (He's since outgrown most of them, but at that time, he couldn't eat out at all.)

We just went to Walmart and bought the smallest, cheapest microwave they had.

We occasionally felt a little funny about walking into the hotel with a microwave! But, it is worth it for us!

We've never taken a microwave, but we have taken a toaster.

And we also learned that new toasters sometimes have a coating on them that while harmless, does emit smoke and odor the first time the toaster is used. So if you use said toaster near a smoke detector, the detector will do its job.

Sorry, Comfort Inn in Logan, Utah.

Well since I have carried 2 crockpots and an electric frying pan into a single hotel room, I can't see where a microwave would be any worse. My kids were in a group event and we ended up spending 11 days in a hotel. Every single meal for 11 days was prepared in those 3 items. A microwave would have been nice but I don't have a small one and since I was trying to save money, I couldn't justifying spending more money on the small microwave.

(and yes, I actually did call to inquire! :001_smile:) Additionally, I think the housekeepers are asked to be on the look-out for such items. Gaylord does have a microwave available for general use by guests in the coffee/cafe shop. I think it is called 'Java Junction Something' and it is located in the central atrium area. The hotel has reiterated several times that it is very common for guests to bring something of their own into the cafe to warm up.

Have a safe trip down...we are going too. My middle dd is graduating! We are almost in your area---currently located out in the country not far from Camp Blanding! :)

Jen

I've brought microwaves into hotels in the past-for warming up baby bottles. (GASP-I bottle fed AND heated the formula in the microwave!) No problems from the hotels. Once, I called first and asked about the microwave and they said they could put one in the room for me.

Jennifer

Definitely, most hotels will provide this type of thing. Saves you having to pack the kitchen. :)

(and yes, I actually did call to inquire! :001_smile:) Additionally, I think the housekeepers are asked to be on the look-out for such items. Gaylord does have a microwave available for general use by guests in the coffee/cafe shop. I think it is called 'Java Junction Something' and it is located in the central atrium area. The hotel has reiterated several times that it is very common for guests to bring something of their own into the cafe to warm up.

Have a safe trip down...we are going too. My middle dd is graduating! We are almost in your area---currently located out in the country not far from Camp Blanding! :)

Jen

Really? UGH, that stinks. I have to have protein immediately upon waking (and going to bed) and I usually eat some microwaveable sausages. Now I'll have to take the time to get dressed and everything before going to heat them up in the mornings. I'm very picky about my food LOL.

I hope that you have a great time there too!

Guest jab300

I'd call ahead and ask if they would put one in your room...never hurts to ask. I hope you will post about the convention. I've always wanted to go. :)

Sorry, Comfort Inn in Logan, Utah.

:lol::lol::lol:

We have never taken a microwave, but we have taken, at separate times, a toaster and a VCR. Seems sort of silly to actually type that out, but it was a lifesaver at the time!

Take your microwave, with the blessings of the hive!

ETA - Just read the other posts with the Gaylord's prohibition. Still, call ahead. Couldn't hurt to ask. If they can't put a microwave in your room, perhaps they can promise you a room close to a microwave.... FWIW, I wouldn't switch hotels based on the microwave issue. The Gaylord is fantastic and you'll want to be at the conference hotel anyway, if possible. No down time with shuttles that way.

Edited by AuntieM

Really? UGH, that stinks. I have to have protein immediately upon waking (and going to bed) and I usually eat some microwaveable sausages. Now I'll have to take the time to get dressed and everything before going to heat them up in the mornings. I'm very picky about my food LOL.

I wonder if they'd make an exception if you called and told them that (especially in the context of being pregnant)?

If not... protein bars? A small jar of peanut butter to keep on the nightstand?

We bring a toaster oven, an electric frying pan, and a plug in electric burner... we did this on our cross country trip (we pre-made the meals and froze them) and when we go with dh to a conference.

This is us.:D

A friend and I cooked our bacon wrapped in foil with our iron at the last conference we went to. I'm sure you could do the same thing with your sausage.

Google cooking in a hotel room and lots of way to cook with an iron and coffee maker will pop up. We had great fun with it.

A friend and I cooked our bacon wrapped in foil with our iron at the last conference we went to. I'm sure you could do the same thing with your sausage.

Google cooking in a hotel room and lots of way to cook with an iron and coffee maker will pop up. We had great fun with it.

:lol::lol:

I LOVE that idea! I really shouldn't drink tea while reading this forum. This is the 3rd time this week that I have spit tea on my keyboard from laughing!