Menu

Teach letter sounds

miracleone

Hi, I have a very articulate 3 year old and I would like to start teaching her letter sounds. I know this might be lame to most of you but I don't know how to begin and what to use. Can you kindly tell me how you start teaching? We also read a lot of books.

I also want to do Five in A Row with her eventually but do I do that first or letter sounds first?

Thank you!

My ds loves music so when he was 3, I used Hooked on Phonics Pre-K. It came with a CD that taught the letter sounds through song. He loved it. We danced and learned. And I don't even think he knew he was learning!:D

I taught my two oldest with foam letters in the bathtub. It was always just a game. I made flashcards when they memorized a lot of them and we would play games with those too (never just going through the flashcards). I'd spread out 6 letters on the ground and say "find /k/" I made lower case and upper case flashcards and had them match them and tell me the sound. Stuff like that.

My first one taught himself, but my second child... I spent 3... long... weeks going through OPGTR to learn letter sounds. By the end, he mostly knew them. Still wasn't quite cemented on some sounds. Then I put in the frog... Leap Frog Letter Factory. After a few days of watching that, letter sounds were completely cemented in his head!

Next time, I'm skipping the other programs and just letting the frog teach letter sounds. So much easier! :D

I also will ditto the starfall.com recommendation. That contributed to my oldest teaching himself to read. Just make sure you supplement with a real phonics program somewhere along the way. ;)

Another vote for Leap Frog and Starfall.com

Those two things, along with your daily guidance and help pointing out what they have learned, can do wonders!

We have a touchscreen laptop and my young children LOVE doing Starfall. The touch screen allows them to start even before they would be comfortable using a mouse.

I bought a little case of the Einstein(sp?) alphabet books. The block letters were clearly printed on the front of each book. We would toss them on the floor and pick out 3 each week. If dd did not know the sound, I didn't let her see the pictures, LOL.

We know the letters now except for a few that get confused. We are starting to sound/blend two letters now.

Yes, Leapfrog is great!

I don't know how much planning or effort you want to put into this, but I'm really enjoying a little system that I came up with for my ds 3. I made a folder for each letter, and placed different activities inside: a puppet to color, a coloring page with pictures beginning with the letter sound, a poem or nursery rhyme beginning with the letter, an outline of the letter to fill with collage, stamps or stickers, and a normally written letter to glue on beans, pasta, cotton balls, pom poms, etc. Each day we go over the sound of the letter, find things that begin with the letter, repeat our poem (he usually memorizes this, so it counts as memorization, too!), and do one activity. We review previously learned letters a LOT, too.

We are on letter S now, and he knows all the other letters solidly. Again, it's probably more effort than what is NEEDED, but he likes the individualized activities with mommy, and we're having lots of fun.

You can do Before Five in A Row alongside learning letters, or before or after! Lots of people coordinate the books with letters. There is a chart at homeschoolshare.com that shows you a way to do that.

Well, if you start right off with something like Spalding, then you don't have to change anything when she's ready to learn more. In fact, you could even get the CD from Spalding Education International (SEI) and listen to it yourself so you know for sure what the sounds are (you only need to know the single-letter phonograms right now...the letters of the alphabet); then you can buy one of those cute little children's books that has the letters of the alphabet and sit with her, warm and fuzzy in your lap, and "read" together. "See, honey, this is /a/, /A/, /ah/." And she can trace the letters with her sweet little finger (if you buy the manual, Writing Road to Reading, you can simultaneously teach her the correct letter formation at the same time).

Letter Factory, Starfall, foam bath letters, and pointing out letters constantly and casually. My kids also like it when I act confused and say "look at that sign! It has a "s" on it. I have forgotten what s says, does anyone know?!?" The sillier the better of course. And I always try to ask letter sounds that I know that they already know. It seems to encourage them to learn more.

I didn't get to read all the posts, but we have used Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading. I am currently using it for my 4 year old and my 3 year old has been listening in. Very simple to use. I originally checked mine out from the library to see how I liked it then bought it from amazon. I guess I am unfamiliar with Five in a Row.

My dd6 was very interested in letter sounds at that age, and she learned a lot at Starfall.com and by watching SuperWhy. But now that ds is 3yo and is showing the same interest, I now know about SWR (and other Spalding derivatives), which start out teaching all of the sounds for each letter. I really like that ds3 is learning, for example, that the letter "C" makes two sounds--/s/ and /k/. I know this sounds ridiculous, but he loves to drill the flashcards, and I have been starting to add some games recommended in the program and on the SWR Yahoo Group to keep it fun and exciting for him.

One that I particularly like: You put a bunch of objects in a bowl or basket. Then you ask the child to find the item by saying each letter sound separately (for example, "Find the /d/. . . /o/ . . . /g/"). It helps the child to begin to recognize that words are made up of individual sounds and helps them learn to blend those sounds together.

We also played Phonogram Relay today. I put 6-8 phonogram cards across the room and tell him to "get the one that sounds like /t/" and he runs and gets the letter T. It was such a simple thing to do, and I thought it would be dull, but even my 6yo enjoyed it.