Menu

When and where to buy binders?

I am going to break down and buy new binders for my kids this year (never done this before! I've always been too cheap and found old used ones). Maybe we'll even look for "pretty" ones. :tongue_smilie:So I want to get good sturdy binders that will last awhile. Does anyone know the best place and time to get the best price on good binders? Is it worth waiting for the "back to school" sales?

I. Does anyone know the best place and time to get the best price on good binders? Is it worth waiting for the "back to school" sales?

Absolutely. At Walmart, at the back to school sale, all school supplies cost a fraction of what they cost year round (notebooks 10 cts, filler paper 50 ct, etc). They will also have various kinds of binders. It is worth splurging on the "durable" ones instead of the "economy" ones- they really last longer.

Target sales usually start around July, if that helps. My sister recently bought some really nice binders at Staples. They have an almost fabric-like covering in some nice colors. If I have the money, I plan on using these to color-coordinate next year.

You might want to check Craigslist. I was gifted two boxes of binders from a law firm that was updating their files. Most of them had never been used!

I upgraded to the Better binders at Staples (it's the Staples brand, and they are labelled as Better). They have rubbery parts on the spine and corners that can take a beating. They weren't cheap, but duck tape could do no more to help my other binders that had gotten daily use for the past three years. I'm only doing a few binders at a time, so that it seems like I'm spending less. :)

Absolutely. At Walmart, at the back to school sale, all school supplies cost a fraction of what they cost year round (notebooks 10 cts, filler paper 50 ct, etc). They will also have various kinds of binders. It is worth splurging on the "durable" ones instead of the "economy" ones- they really last longer.

Thanks! I knew that Walmart had great back to school sales, but since I have not bought binders new before, I wasn't sure if they marked them down as well. I'll have to keep my eye out for them then.

Target sales usually start around July, if that helps. My sister recently bought some really nice binders at Staples. They have an almost fabric-like covering in some nice colors. If I have the money, I plan on using these to color-coordinate next year.

You might want to check Craigslist. I was gifted two boxes of binders from a law firm that was updating their files. Most of them had never been used!

WOW! What a blessing to be given a bunch of binders! I hadn't even thought of businesses like law firms. Hmm.....

I love these at Office Max. I got some when they were free after MaxPerks rewards and they are excellent. My favorite feature is the easy open and close lever.

I've seen those before and wondered about them. Do they hold up well?

I upgraded to the Better binders at Staples (it's the Staples brand, and they are labelled as Better). They have rubbery parts on the spine and corners that can take a beating. They weren't cheap, but duck tape could do no more to help my other binders that had gotten daily use for the past three years. I'm only doing a few binders at a time, so that it seems like I'm spending less. :)

LOL!! This is where we are at w/ our current binders. They've been taped for the last time!

Wait for the back to school sales. I bought the durable binders in mostly white, then let the kids decorate them with scrapbook paper inside the plastic cover. That made ours pretty and also very personalized (meaning I can tell whose is laying out on the floor).

Office stores also have good prices for back to school season. And you can get a teacher discount store at Staples, Office Max and maybe Office Depot.

If any one who needed binders lived close to me, we have them by the boxload. DH's college students have to turn in their final projects in binders and we just store them in the attic. Once a year, he cleans them out and we let friends come get what they need, but still have tons left over. Our grandchildren call us "Binder Central". :lol:

Costco or Sams are definitely the cheapest place to buy binders. They come in packs of 2-8 depending on size. The last time I bought some at Costco they were white heavyduty ones with the clear cover so that you could have your child make a picture to decorate their binder and slip it in the front. Good luck finding a deal!

If any one who needed binders lived close to me, we have them by the boxload. DH's college students have to turn in their final projects in binders and we just store them in the attic. Once a year, he cleans them out and we let friends come get what they need, but still have tons left over. Our grandchildren call us "Binder Central". :lol:

Oh man, wishing I was closer!

We used to buy the white binders in bulk at SAMS, but a few years ago we switched over to Staples better binder. They are more expensive, but we've gotten our money back by not having to replace the cheaper ones and the quality makes it worth it.

He should garage sale price them to his next class, and you can use the cash for new, pretty school supplies. :001_smile:

Yep, "Back to School" sales are the best. I always get really good deals on nice binders at Target in August/September.

And check to see if your state has a tax-free weekend and buy then. Between the back to school sale and the tax free weekend you can really save $$$.

The students don't get their final projects back? :confused:

I was wondering this too.

My teachers always made a note to mention that all finals would be in a box outside their office. Pick them up or they would be gone by whatever date. I liked seeing the notes. But, there were always a box full left.

I had a few teachers go to doing everything on the computer. They electronically highlighted and put notes for writing. But, I would imagine this might not work for the Non-English majors.

Oh, I hadn't thought about tax free day! I guess it sounds like I'm just going to have to be patient (not my gift :tongue_smilie:) and wait a little while longer for the back to school sales. Thanks so much for all your help. I've got quite a few ideas to check into before the sales come.

We used to buy the white binders in bulk at SAMS, but a few years ago we switched over to Staples better binder. They are more expensive, but we've gotten our money back by not having to replace the cheaper ones and the quality makes it worth it.

Mine look good as new. I like the rubbery strip that keeps them from sliding down when propped up loosely together.