Menu

I hate liver...but I know we should eat it...

For me, it was flounder. Liver nights were the best!

None of my kids will eat liver. DS1 loves liverwurst sandwiches, though.

RC

Liver Lover

Strangely I liked liverwurst when I was very young too. Honestly it never occurred to me that it had liver in it. Nothing got by me ... :lol:

Contrary to popular belief, liver does not store toxins and impurities. It neutralizes toxins, but doesn't STORE them. Most traditional cultures eat only organ meats, and no muscle meats of the animal.

...What on earth?! Do you really think that traditional cultures throw out most of the animal, and only eat the organs? What's your source for the idea that food-scarce cultures would waste the majority of what they hunt?

Yeah, my parents made me eat it too when I was little. I used to cut it up really small and swallow it with the potatoes, then I just fed it to the dog.:tongue_smilie: I agree with the others on the disgustingness of eating it. I have a thing against digestive organs.

I wish I had had a dog - we would have been best friends. :D

I love, love, love chicken livers - deep fried of course :D Otherwise I can't stand them. My mom and grandma love beef liver cooked with onions. It always looked slimy and gross to me so I have never even tried it.

I love looking at old cookbooks, from the 50s or before, and they always have lots of recipes for liver, heart, kidney, tongue...

How can we eat liver on a weekly basis if we can't stand the taste if it? Does grinding it and mixing it with other ground beef for chili work? Or can you still taste it? Any ideas? Thanks!

ewww, who says we "should" eat it? yucky and it's a filtering organ

I love liver! Am I the only one? I loved it when I was pregnant and the "What to Eat When You're Expecting" book recommended eating liver at least once or twice a week for the iron & protein. I made my family suffer so that I could get my liver fix. ("It's for the baby!") :lol:

...What on earth?! Do you really think that traditional cultures throw out most of the animal, and only eat the organs? What's your source for the idea that food-scarce cultures would waste the majority of what they hunt?

There are several articles (I've searched on this in the past) about how there were some traditional cultures that preferred organ meats and fed muscle to their dogs. YIKES! :D Most other traditional diets would in fact consume the whole animal, but organ meats were highly prized, some even considered them sacred.

I actually like liver, but don't eat it very often due to the fact that as PP's have said it's a filtering organ, if there's something bad thats where it ends up, also I'm the only one who will eat it here.

We always had beef liver with peppers and onions, chicken livers fried, like KFC does them, and then theres braunswager or pate on crackers with cheese.

I like liver a lot but dont eat it so often- mostly vegetarian nowadays.

One way to take it is to buy it in capsule form.

But I think organic is the only way to go with liver, due to the filtering factor. I can buy a large organic lambs fry for a few $ here. I like it fried with bacon, with a bit of gravy, some peas and mashed potatoes. Yum.

I can't imagine serving LIVER to GUESTS. I like liver myself but KNOW most people don't. It was rude of your hostess to serve it to your family!

I would not serve liver to guests either. I wonder why so few people like it. We had it often when I was a kid, and in our family of 5, everyone liked it. Maybe it's an obscure, recessive, inherited trait. I fed my kids liver and liverwurst when they were young, and no one except DS1 likes it today.

Fish, though ... I will never understand how anyone can like it, yet so many people do! A restaurant here serves fried fish on Fridays, and I tasted some and it was good -- probably a relatively tasteless fish with really good (and bad for me) breading (or whatever you call the fried stuff). Otherwise, except for tuna salad, I do not like fish at all. No matter how good it is for me. No matter how it is cooked. I have honestly tried to like fish!

RC

Edited by RoughCollie

Ew. No way would I ever eat liver. It looks nasty, smells nasty, and probably tastes nasty.... which I'll never know, because no way would I ever eat it lol.

I'm a little confused on the "we should" too. Maybe if it was a matter of that or starvation lol.

If you need the iron, get Floradix liquid vitamin supplement at a health food store.

I think I have had liver maybe once or twice in my entire 35 yrs. of life. If my kids want to eat it, they can have it when they move out of our house as I will not serve that here!! :tongue_smilie:

I would not serve liver to guests either. I wonder why so few people like it. We had it often when I was a kid, and in our family of 5, everyone liked it. Maybe it's an obscure, recessive, inherited trait. I fed my kids liver and liverwurst when they were young, and no one except DS1 likes it today.

Fish, though ... I will never understand how anyone can like it, yet so many people do! A restaurant here serves fried fish on Fridays, and I tasted some and it was good -- probably a relatively tasteless fish with really good (and bad for me) breading (or whatever you call the fried stuff). Otherwise, except for tuna salad, I do not like fish at all. No matter how good it is for me. No matter how it is cooked. I have honestly tried to like fish!

RC

Have you had fish really, really fresh?

I started eating tons of tilapia where I live in Mexico. It's sweet and flavorful and not at all fishy. It has a texture similar to lobster, kind of springy.

Then I bought some in Florida for my parents. It was Nasty. It tasted very fishy and the texture is all wrong.

Fish that was not just pulled out of the ocean is disgusting.

RC

I don't like fish either! Unless it's tuna fish smothered in mayo or some sort of battered fish smothered in tartar sauce, I just can't bring myself to eat fish, and I've tried several different kinds, several different times, in the hopes of bringing myself to like it.

I do, however, like other types of seafood- scallops, baked clams, lobster tail, crab legs, shrimp prepared in all different ways. Yum. But fish? Not so much.

Liver = the ultimate disgusting food

Fish = yummy

There are only a handful of foods I refuse to eat. Liver is in the number 1 spot, tomato soup is in the number two with oysters coming up a close third. Squid/octopus are tied for 4th.

With all that seafood I find unpalatable I do enjoy fish- the kind with fins.

Have you had fish really, really fresh?

Yup. I lived in Boston for 22 years. If I lived where you do, I'd try the tilapia. The tilapia I've eaten was terrible. Truly awful. I couldn't understand how it became such a popular fish.

Edited by RoughCollie

I do, however, like other types of seafood- scallops, baked clams, lobster tail, crab legs, shrimp prepared in all different ways. Yum. But fish? Not so much.

I love lobster, crab legs, and clam chowder -- they are my favorite foods. But they are not fish. I am allergic to shrimp, but back when I could eat it, I loved it.

RC

I have found that if I mince some garlic and rub it int the fish, the fishy taste is gone and you can enjoy the very delicte and tender meat.

How can we eat liver on a weekly basis if we can't stand the taste if it? Does grinding it and mixing it with other ground beef for chili work? Or can you still taste it? Any ideas? Thanks!

Why do you have to eat it? Neither my kids nor I eat any meat or fish at all, and we're healthy!

I have found that if I mince some garlic and rub it int the fish, the fishy taste is gone and you can enjoy the very delicte and tender meat.

I will try that, thank you! DH's new diet calls for fish 3x a week, which he loves, so he keeps reminding me of that. I'll buy more next time and try your idea. I love garlic.