Menu

RE: Treasure Island

Julie

Don't feel bad, we pushed and pushed to get through it as a read aloud last year, and finally gave it up about three-quarters of the way through. I'd even asked for suggestions on what version to buy. We ended up with a version with extra photos and history blurbs in the margins but it still didn't explain the words and phrases that we didn't understand! We found it frustrating but really tried hard to get through it. We quit during the "exciting" battle on the island.

Pegasus

We bought the Classic Starts Treasure Island . MUCH more age appropriate for that age and we ended up enjoying the story quite a bit then having to trudge through the orignial . Its the orignial but rewritten for younger children to read and understand . Its not dumbed down the author is in charge of a Gifted School for children in New York .

I am new to this message board and it is reassuring that we werent the only ones having trouble with that book. We got about 1/2 way through and then my son found a more age appropriate version at his school library . I was so glad to be able to complete the book in a less exhausting way.

We listened to the audio book forever in preparation for a play we were going to. The book certainly made the play more meaningful, but as soon as the play was over, we quit listening to the book. I don't know if I've ever before in my life left a book unfinished. But I didn't even care how it turned out. I can't even imagine reading it out loud. Yikes!

Just because it's old doesn't mean it's any good.

I read it to my dc when they were 6 & 9. I had a fair bit of trouble following it, as I think did my 9yo, but my 6yo seemed to be able to understand the whole thing and kept asking me to read another chapter. Recently we watched "Muppet Treasure Island" (Tim Curry!) and she spent the whole time telling me what parts were different from the book.

My older dd, now 10, started re-reading the book after watching the aforementioned movie. She got about halfway through. I may pick up the Classic Starts version so I can figure out the plot more clearly. :001_huh:

Maybe we are crazy, but my husband is reading it aloud to dd7, and she loves it. She was so excited to tell me all about "keel-hauling!" She does listen to lots of 19th century children's lit so maybe the language and style are easier for her to cope with. :D

Michele

Yes. The Classic Starts books made this a MUCH better book to read . My girls wanted to know more with each and every chapter and it was very much age appropriate and I was able to follow the plot myself as well . Plus they are really inexpensive and you can find them even on Ebay and Amazon . I bought ours at Barnes and Nobel for 4.95 .

Maybe we are crazy, but my husband is reading it aloud to dd7, and she loves it. She was so excited to tell me all about "keel-hauling!" She does listen to lots of 19th century children's lit so maybe the language and style are easier for her to cope with.

I think this is the key. :)

It has been fantastic to see all the feedback, thanks everyone. I officailly started Swiss Family, and ordered the Treasure Island DVD today. We will read an abriged version when I round one up.

I'm with you... we read it last year as a read aloud and had great fun with it. Actually, I ended up reading ahead and finishing it on my own after the first couple of days because I got really into it.

Anything that allows me or dh to use lots of great voices and accents is a popular read aloud around here. Plus pirates--you can't beat that!

Uh oh. I didn't like Swiss Family Robinson any better. It is more readable and more listenable. But the story just goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on. And their good luck and unending knowledge and wisdom (arrogance?) absolutely defies belief. And if you have any sensitivities about killing animals, get ready to cringe. Big time.

On the other hand, my DS *LOVED* SFR. He shared none of my complaints (and I didn't share my complaints with him).

We listened to this read by Jim Weiss who did a wonderful job.

Good luck with it!

Maybe we are crazy, but my husband is reading it aloud to dd7, and she loves it. She was so excited to tell me all about "keel-hauling!" She does listen to lots of 19th century children's lit so maybe the language and style are easier for her to cope with. :D

Michele

Here too! Dh (a fabulous reader) read it to our then-6 and 5 year olds last year, ds (6) enjoyed it more than dd (5) I think. But ds will also listen to a dramatized recording of Pilgrims Progress in the original language and Howard Pyle's Robin Hood, so he may have more of an ear for the older language.

Jami

• 2 years later...
Guest saturnine

I realize I am joining this conversation quite belatedly, but I am curious as to the difference of the "Classic Starts" vs. the original. I just read this adventure for the 1st time (better 20 yrs late than never) & thought it was a very enjoyable & fun read. Of course I am an adult & enjoy classic literature (make no mistake, I am nowhere near as well-read as I would like to be) & therefore have no qualms w/old novels & the language used therein, but I relished every turn of phrase uttered by the buccaneers, esp. Mr. Silver himself (Perhaps he was so named for his tongue as that gentlemen o' fortune is quite the wordsmith, he is, & you may lay to that!). I will not claim to understand every phrase uttered by those ruthless mutineers, but I was typically able to deduce the general meaning. Is this all stripped out of the Classic starts series? To do so seems to expunge a great deal of fun that comes from reading such a story aloud to me wee lad. Naturally, if they cannot understand the phrases it becomes irrelevant.

What about the violence & bloodshed? Is this censored in the Classic Starts? I initially came upon this thread when trying to discover the appropriate age range for this book (appears to be around 10) as the violence is a bigger concern to me than the language (perhaps I am being naive?). Not that I have a problem w/fictionalized swashbuckling violence, but I am dooty bound not to frighten the youth.

On a side note, I recently procured a copy of Swiss Family Robinson, & as excited as I am, that is one weighty tome that does not appear friendly to the read-aloud crowd. How long has it taken you folks to get through that on a out-loud basis?

Anyone have trouble getting through this as a read aloud to a 9 and 11 year old? The book is driving me crazy, I find it frustrating to follow.

Me!!! A Thousand Times. Yes!!

I took my own poll and concluded that amongst the lists/groups I was polling Treasure Island was by far the most popular family read-aloud. This was many, many years ago. So I read it to my boys 9, 8, and 6. Their pestering me to get it out and read was the only way I finished to the end. I HATED it!!

...and Peter Pan too :tongue_smilie:

We liked it here with similar-aged children. Kidnapped was a big hit, too, but we listened to that one with an audiobook. The Scottish accent of the narrator helped, I think.

As a kid I didn't care for it much and had a hard time finishing it (maybe 4th grade or so), but I preferred the girlier stories then and was not so much a fan of swashbuckling adventure. ;) It's fun to have a boy and get to enjoy these types of books for the first time.

My ds8 *LOVED* Treasure Island, unabridged. (Just piping in for those who might reconsider trying it b/c of this thread.)

We found a Treasure Island Coloring book cheap (dollar store, I think), and he demanded to read the book when he realized we owned it. Perhaps the coloring book gave him enough of a synopsis to make the book more relevant.

The way I do read alouds most of the time: I sit on the couch and let each dc choose 1 book. Treasure Island was ds8's 1st choice everyday until it was finished (I only do 1 chapter at a time).

Oh.my.word!!! The imaginative play....and the explanations about rum.:lol: He filled a journal with drawings and sketches and maps...oh, the maps :svengo:...and thought he found treasure digging up our backyard.:tongue_smilie: