Menu

I just watched The Outsiders with my daughters

It came up because Ralph Macchio is on Dancing With The Stars this season and did a dance to the song "Stay Gold" from the movie. What a cast in that movie! Patrick Swayze, Rob Lowe, C. Thomas Howell, Emilio Estevez, Tom Cruise, and of course, Ralph.

Off to see whatever became of C. Thomas Howell...

It came up because Ralph Macchio is on Dancing With The Stars this season and did a dance to the song "Stay Gold" from the movie. What a cast in that movie! Patrick Swayze, Rob Lowe, C. Thomas Howell, Emilio Estevez, Tom Cruise, and of course, Ralph.

I think C. Thomas Howell played a serial killer on Criminal Minds.

Don't forget Matt Dillon!

Outsiders was my favorite book and I never quite got over the movie not being exactly as I'd imagined. I esp. didn't think C Thomas Howell looked like the 'real' Ponyboy.

dd just recently read Outsiders for the first time. When she saw a photo of dh at 14 she said, 'dad looks like Ponyboy' and she's right...lucky me!

I don't remember seeing the movie, but I loved the book. I read a few things by the same author. Lately I've been hunting down books I remember reading as a teen and putting them aside for dd to read.

One of my favorite movies. I still cry everytime I see it!

The Outsiders was my favorite movie for years.

When I saw "Secretariat" last fall, I completely failed to recognize Diane Lane in the lead role. I still think of her as a teenager.

Diane Lane was in Streets of Fire, one of my all time favorite cult classics. :D

My tiny claim to fame... is that I went to school with Matt Dillon; 7th grade, at the Hommocks Jr. high in NY. He was a mess, and was discovered while skipping class, by a talent agent looking for kids for an upcoming movie. This was one case where being a "bad kid" paid off. :D

My tiny claim to fame... is that I went to school with Matt Dillon; 7th grade, at the Hommocks Jr. high in NY. He was a mess, and was discovered while skipping class, by a talent agent looking for kids for an upcoming movie. This was one case where being a "bad kid" paid off. :D

He's made a career out of it. :) I love him.

Ds is reading this book now for school. Was thinking of having him watch the movie after he has finished reading it. How closely does the movie follow the book? I hate it when they change it too much. I have never read the book or seen the movie.

Edited by Hoggirl
UGH! Big fat grammatical error! Good grief!

Ds is reading this book now for school. Was thinking of having him watching the movie after he has finished reading it. How closely does the movie follow the book? I hate it when they change it too much. I have never read the book or seen the movie.

The movie closely parallels the book especially the longer version they came out with after the first release.

I love both the book and the movie. C.Thomas Howell is currently working on the TV show "Southland," it is one of our favorite shows on TV right now. (It was slated to be canceled, but received salvation. YaY!)

Howell plays Dooley, a beat cop who is a recovering alcoholic. His character on the show is the polar opposite of Ponyboy Curtis, so if you watch Southland, and I highly recommend that you do, be prepared to adjust your perception of him. :001_smile: