Menu

Are we allowed to post reviews of homeschool products and services?

I have seen plenty of reviews - formal and informal. The purpose of this forum is information exchange - how can we do this without critiquing curriculum?

What you can NOT do is advertise your services and products.

( i guess writing glowing reviews of your own curriculum falls into taht category)

I have seen plenty of reviews - formal and informal. The purpose of this forum is information exchange - how can we do this without critiquing curriculum?

What you can NOT do is advertise your services and products.

( i guess writing glowing reviews of your own curriculum falls into taht category)

That's not what happened. A post that criticized a particular teacher has been completely removed. Said teacher sells instructional CD's to correspond with a popular curriculum. It just *disappeared* without even a usual moderator message that said it was deleted.

That's not what happened. A post that criticized a particular teacher has been completely removed. Said teacher sells instructional CD's to correspond with a popular curriculum. It just *disappeared* without even a usual moderator message that said it was deleted.

Maybe the problem was the criticizing a particular teacher. Of coarse, I didn't see the thread, but it could have been seen as a personal attack on one person.

Danielle

I think it was because the actual vendor came on and turned it all "spiritual" by saying we had to come to him and his church before we could say anything negative. And, he was there listening, that is a little awkward, especially because a few people had negative comments. I do like it when the vendors join in and are helpful, but this completely stopped the conversation. You can't stop the hive!!

You are completely misquoting what I said. I said that the persons who had issue with me should have come to me first, then brought friends, then if that did not resolve the issue, I should be taken before the church. (I never said "my church". If you want to bring your pastor, GREAT.) That is the scriptural way to confront a brother if he is doing something wrong or you have an issue. To just post stuff on the internet about him or his work or his ministry and never give him a chance to apologize or explain his point of view is just wrong. I found this series of posts by searching my name. It is my reputation that I am fight for here. I even apologized for the wrong doing and for the hurt I apparently caused. I am trying to do the right thing here. Not stop any conversations.

Who is this? Art Reed? I'm totally confused.:confused:

I was the original poster way back last summer. I had asked for opinions on redwagontutorials.com and Steve Rosenoff as I was considering having my children take his classes. Opinions and experiences were posted back. Some positive, some not. I later this year updated the thread with how thrilled we were with his classes and him as a teacher. I shared how we have been so blessed by our decision to take the classes. Mr. Rosenoff posted on the thread (nothing wrong that I saw) and then the thread disappeared. For what it's worth, we have pre-registered for classes for the next 3 years for both children, he's that good!

Blessings

Sandra

Nope, it wasn't Art Reed this time....although if you are interested he did make a wonderful post today! We also highly recommend Art's DVD's for Saxon Math!

I was the original poster way back last summer. I had asked for opinions on redwagontutorials.com and Steve Rosenoff as I was considering having my children take his classes. Opinions and experiences were posted back. Some positive, some not. I later this year updated the thread with how thrilled we were with his classes and him as a teacher. I shared how we have been so blessed by our decision to take the classes. Mr. Rosenoff posted on the thread (nothing wrong that I saw) and then the thread disappeared. For what it's worth, we have pre-registered for classes for the next 3 years for both children, he's that good!

Blessings

Sandra

Nope, it wasn't Art Reed this time....although if you are interested he did make a wonderful post today! We also highly recommend Art's DVD's for Saxon Math!

Thanks for clarifying.

Lisa

Blessings

Sandra

Where is Art Reeds post? I like that guy!

Who is this? Art Reed? I'm totally confused.:confused:

The Art Reed thread is gone, though, too, right?

There have been a few instances lately (LTOW, Art Reed's DVDs) where something is discussed and then a bunch of people who are brand new (1 post) gush about how wonderful it is. Does that really fool anyone? ;)

Steve Rosenoff. Today while I was search the web, I found some very bad remarks about me and my teaching posted on this site. I posted an apology, stated my point of view, and simply stated that we as Christians have a Biblical way of resolve issues like this. To just smudge someone's reputation and ministry without even giving them a chance to respond is not cool. The thread was deleted. None of us were given a reason.

Hi Mr. Rosenoff,

I am one of the ones who posted something "negative" I suppose. My son took biology from you through The Potter's School the last year you taught with them.

Every time I give a review of your class, I try to give a very balanced one. I always tell people that you were one of my son's favorite teachers. He even received a 99% in your class which I often say as well. I also say that your teaching was very good.

My "con" is stated in your written communication with parents and students. And, I did address this with you during that school year and you "spoke down" to me.

I don't think this "problem" affects your ability to teach a class. But, I do think it is perfectly acceptable to give a complete review to a homeschool parent who is considering paying for a service.

I wouldn't approach you in a Matthew 18 way because I don't think your method of communication is necessarily a personal offense. It's just part of your service and I think potential consumers deserve a complete review.

I say this as someone who owns a service business with her husband.:)

Steve Rosenoff. Today while I was search the web, I found some very bad remarks about me and my teaching posted on this site. I posted an apology, stated my point of view, and simply stated that we as Christians have a Biblical way of resolve issues like this. To just smudge someone's reputation and ministry without even giving them a chance to respond is not cool. The thread was deleted. None of us were given a reason.

I missed that. Did they have an issue with the quality (it didn't work for them) or were they accusing you of something? I think we should be free to state our problems with a product. If they felt you trespassed against them personally, by all means, they should have taken it directly to you. Though I would still want to know about that as a potential customer. I don't think we should confuse a review of a product with an argument between two people.

For what it's worth.......I think that computers are wonderful but boy do I dislike that "tone of voice" can be so different when read than what was meant by the writer....

My husband and I have had several miscommunications via email and text simply because I meant something in one tone of voice and he took it in another.... and vice versa!

I am starting to think I should have been born a lot sooner, say 100 years or so!

I'm glad that we all have the opportunity to clarify and resolve things on these boards when those types of things happen! I truly hope that this thread ends with all parties involved leaving with things okay between everyone.

I also appreciate that we can get advice, give advice and share experiences here. Homeschooling is tough sometimes and it helps to have the hive to go to... The hive has been a blessing in alot of ways. It has also been very eye opening to me since it is a board of many different belief systems.

Sandra

Thank you for responding. I humbly apologize to you and your family for my prior dealings with you. You are correct. I can be direct and rude. I am sorry. I love teaching and this is something that I am working to change. Thank you for your honest critique of my program. I will try to do better in the future.

I appreciate that, Mr. Rosenoff.:) If you search your name and look at my posts regarding you you will see that I have been positive about your teaching.

Btw, you may like to know that my son is graduating from our homeschool in a few weeks and will attend UCLA in the fall as a Molecular and Cell Biology major.:) He's a biology nut and really did enjoy you as a teacher. He's taken at least 15 classes through TPS and you remain one of his favorites.

If it were just a review of my product, I could handle that. But they personally addressed my character. I need to respond to that and change where possible.

Not your character. Not at all! Just your style of written communication. I don't question your character at all!:)

I recently posted a thread asking for a comparison of Ask Dr. Callahan's College Algebra vs. Foerster's Algebra 2 using Math Without Borders. I only had two people respond, and then someone from Ask Dr. Callahan responded with a glowing review of their product. I must say I was a little aggravated. I've visited their website, I know what it says. I need to know from people who have used the curriculum what its advantages/disadvantages are. This is invaluable to me. I'm not independently wealthy; I cannot purchase curriculums and then find out they don't work - especially the expensive ones. When I ask a question, I'm not denegrating one curriculum, I'm just asking for good old fashioned advice. When I post a comment, I hope I'm not denegrating a curriculum, I"m just explaining why it did not work for us. That doesn't mean it won't work for others.

By the way, we used the Red Wagon DVD this year for Biology, and it was wonderful for me. My dd came away with a deeper understanding of biology than my dd who worked through the book independently. Thank you Mr. R for putting out this material.

If it were just a review of my product, I could handle that. But they personally addressed my character. I need to respond to that and change where possible.

If this helps you any, authors of homeschool texts (and etc.) are homeschool mom's lifelines. We are on the "front lines" of teaching our kids. When we don't understand something it is very important to have support. Science is one of the top subjects that we have written regularly to authors for assistance.

I am one who is considering one of your products. And I need kind support (I am already dealing with the teenager!).

It warms my heart to hear you say you are working on better communication. Hey, we all have our things to work on.

Since my post in the previous thread got deleted, I just wanted to say that my dd had you (Mr. Rosenoff) in general science several years ago. We both thought you were a great teacher, even though your communication style is what I'd call "no-nonsense." I wish we had signed her up for your biology a couple of years later.

Just wondering about the official policy? In light of a recent thread being deleted, I'm confused.:confused:

Oh, and I wish we could get an official answer on this. I really appreciate the honest answers on this forum.

Reviews and opinions are ABSOLUTELY WELCOME. On this forum, we have tried not to shut down ANY critical discussions, including those of Peace Hill Press products.

That entire thread was deleted by mistake. It has been restored. Only the posts by the vendor which seemed designed to shut down criticism of his product have been deleted. He has been warned that vendors are not permitted to use this board for PR purposes.

Please continue open and frank discussions!

We apologize for the mistake. We were moving a little too fast today.

RE the comments on Art Reed:

Mr. Reed has been asked not to post his products on this forum and was finally banned for refusal to comply.

Posters from his IP address continually register and post glowing reviews of his products in their first or second posts. Those have been deleted without notice because that is how spam is always deleted on these boards.

Bummer, I was so happy to see Mr. Rosenoff's apology to the person he had previously (years ago) offended via written communication and now those posts are gone. :confused: He was so gracious and willing to admit that he has learned and changed so much in his teaching and communication skills.

He is sorry to have been banned and conveys his apologies that he will not be able to discuss anything more. If anyone has any thing they need or want to discuss with him, just do it through his site.

The end.

Blessings

Sandra

[

QUOTE=ilovemy4kids;2700190]Bummer, I was so happy to see Mr. Rosenoff's apology to the person he had previously (years ago) offended via written communication and now those posts are gone. :confused: He was so gracious and willing to admit that he has learned and changed so much in his teaching and communication skills.

:confused: I say bummer, too. If you're going to ban Mr. Reed, then you need to check out my thread asking about Ask Dr. Callahan. Someone posted, obviously from Ask Dr. Callahan, glowing reviews of that product. I believe I titled the thread "Ask Dr. Callahan vs. Foerster's with Math without Borders for Algebra 2. These folks need to be warned, too. Fair is fair. Besides, I like Mr. Reed.:)

[

:confused: I say bummer, too. If you're going to ban Mr. Reed, then you need to check out my thread asking about Ask Dr. Callahan. Someone posted, obviously from Ask Dr. Callahan, glowing reviews of that product. I believe I titled the thread "Ask Dr. Callahan vs. Foerster's with Math without Borders for Algebra 2. These folks need to be warned, too. Fair is fair. Besides, I like Mr. Reed.:)

ITA, Mr. Reed is "cool":D

[

:confused::confused:

I thought someone calling themselves Art Reed has been posting today.

Reviews and opinions are ABSOLUTELY WELCOME. On this forum, we have tried not to shut down ANY critical discussions, including those of Peace Hill Press products.

That entire thread was deleted by mistake. It has been restored. Only the posts by the vendor which seemed designed to shut down criticism of his product have been deleted. He has been warned that vendors are not permitted to use this board for PR purposes.

Please continue open and frank discussions!

We apologize for the mistake. We were moving a little too fast today.

:) Thanks!:)

When a vendor/writer answers questions about his/her product, that is welcome.

When a vendor/writer jumps into every single discussions about his/her product with hard sell, the vendor is warned and then banned.

Thank you for understanding as we try to keep these boards helpful for parents.