Menu

Please help, I'm in over my head.

My husband and I decided to homeschool our two DD starting this fall and I have been researching for about a month now. Now my oldest (6th grade) has had some issues with kids on the bus and we want to pull her out now. I need help filling in the holes!

Math- Saxon Algebra 1/2

Language- R & S English 7

Science- BJU Space and Earth

History- We have both the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia and DK visual guide, so with add lit and projects I think we'll be ok.

Reading- all the classics we can get our hands on

Geography -?

Latin-?

Timelines-?

Writing- ? do we need more of this?

Spelling?

I don't know what else I'm missing!

DD is a A+ student. I hope you can understand my frantic list and help me fill in the blanks. :scared:

Take a deep breathe. I know the more knowledgable among us will chime in. I'm only in my 3rd year. I have a 5th grader so take what I say w/ a dollup of salt.

IF I were in your shoes, I'd focus on what you have listed and not worry about the questions marks (latin, geography, logic, spelling,) for now unless your DD was begging to do it now. I think for most HSing is a transition even if DC is begging to homeschool. I think doing what you have listed, you'll get a feel for where the holes are, how your DC learns best, and what will work and not. You'll be able to assess her writing, spelling, her critical thinking and will then be in a better position to make solid choices for the upcoming year.

Capt Uhura

Being that you only have a few weeks left of the school year, I wouldn't panic. She will need a few weeks of deschooling while you prep for the upcoming year.

I pulled my daughter out with 9 weeks left -I had her read some historical fiction, do some ready made science kits, and do math and spellling. She only did some occasional writing that quarter (letters, blog, etc.)

Then we beefed up in the fall with my plans.

Latin would depend -is she taking it at school or starting off brand new?

Writing-there are a lot of good writing programs -IEW, Lost Tools of Writing, MCT, etc. I don't think any of us have found "the" one!

I don't do separate geography book just map drills of what we read and a living geography book.

How much school is left in the year? Less than the last quarter/9 weeks, right? Don't sweat it! Continue where she is in math, start next year's LA, read/discuss history and literature and maybe have her write a bit. I am the biggest science cheerleader around but even so, don't try to do everything in this short time period. Save it for when you're fully prepared :)

This is our first year homeschooling (for academic reasons, so I understand your perspective). I spent the entire spring and summer last year planning and preparing for this year. If I had to do that amount of prep in a short period of time, I would have been a crazy woman :eek:

Next year I would add in some latin but I agree with the rest- Do maybe some light grammar if she needs it this year, continue with math and read good books then you are fine til next year!

When we go to the library the kids pick out 1 history book, 1 science book, 1 classic, 1 book of poetry, 1 living math book 1 additional non-fiction and my kids like mysteries so they are allowed 1 mystery as well. They take about 2 or so weeks to read those then we go back and do it again. Its their choice of topics. Its fun to see how their interests change! Right now both my daughters are into Greek Mythology and Deadly diseases (the plague, yellow fever, purple fever--those kinda books)

Math- Saxon Algebra 1/2

Language- R & S English 7

Science- BJU Space and Earth

History- We have both the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia and DK visual guide, so with add lit and projects I think we'll be ok.

Reading- all the classics we can get our hands on

Geography -?

Latin-?

Timelines-?

Writing- ? do we need more of this?

Spelling?

I would integrate geography into history for now. Make sure you have a great big map of the world and another one of the US, and make her look everything up that is mentioned in the history books. That will be fine for now.

Does she have a good grammar foundation already? I did not use RS7, but I understand that it's VERY challenging. SWB recommends starting with RS5 if you're starting in the middle. Good advice, I think. I suggest that you get the RS Handbook as well-it's cheap and thorough and a great reference.

For Latin, if she has not studied this before you could purchase Latin Christiana I and work through the DVD's for a gentle start with Latin. Then switch to First Form Latin next. They are both from Memoria Press.

For a good blank timeline, I recommend The Wonders Of Old--you print out two page spreads and add dates and events to them. You can put this on the wall or into a binder. I used a binder and put each sheet in protectors. It's less visual that way, but portable, which is nice. I just really didn't have the wall space for the long kind, nor did I want to worry about ruining the whole thing with one little mistake, or Sharpie bleeding onto the painted walls.

For writing, in addition to subject area writing in literature and history, I recommend using either the writing assignments in RS7, OR if you switch to RS5, getting Writing Strands and starting with Book 4. Also get SWB's writing CD--it's wonderful and will give you that overview that is so helpful.

You're going to do great!

Next year I would add in some latin but I agree with the rest- Do maybe some light grammar if she needs it this year, continue with math and read good books then you are fine til next year!

When we go to the library the kids pick out 1 history book, 1 science book, 1 classic, 1 book of poetry, 1 living math book 1 additional non-fiction and my kids like mysteries so they are allowed 1 mystery as well. They take about 2 or so weeks to read those then we go back and do it again. Its their choice of topics. Its fun to see how their interests change! Right now both my daughters are into Greek Mythology and Deadly diseases (the plague, yellow fever, purple fever--those kinda books)

What latin would you start with? I love that your doing deadly diseases, my youngest would love that too.

I would integrate geography into history for now. Make sure you have a great big map of the world and another one of the US, and make her look everything up that is mentioned in the history books. That will be fine for now.

Does she have a good grammar foundation already? I did not use RS7, but I understand that it's VERY challenging. SWB recommends starting with RS5 if you're starting in the middle. Good advice, I think. I suggest that you get the RS Handbook as well-it's cheap and thorough and a great reference.

For Latin, if she has not studied this before you could purchase Latin Christiana I and work through the DVD's for a gentle start with Latin. Then switch to First Form Latin next. They are both from Memoria Press.

For a good blank timeline, I recommend The Wonders Of Old--you print out two page spreads and add dates and events to them. You can put this on the wall or into a binder. I used a binder and put each sheet in protectors. It's less visual that way, but portable, which is nice. I just really didn't have the wall space for the long kind, nor did I want to worry about ruining the whole thing with one little mistake, or Sharpie bleeding onto the painted walls.

For writing, in addition to subject area writing in literature and history, I recommend using either the writing assignments in RS7, OR if you switch to RS5, getting Writing Strands and starting with Book 4. Also get SWB's writing CD--it's wonderful and will give you that overview that is so helpful.

You're going to do great!

Wow, thanks!

In PS she is in 6th grade but she is in 7th grade English and science. I was going to order RS5 for my younger child so we will have it here. The timeline looks good, is there room for added drawings?

I would make friends with your local librarian, and see what she recommends for free literature.

Snuggle up on the couch and read, read, read. Do some math, explore some science, watch some history documentaries. Enjoy being together and start fresh next year with the curriculum you feel comfortable with using.

I might use this time to teach some life skills - cooking, laundry, gardening.

Welcome to the adventure!!

I think you have great advice from everyone. Just wanted to add my opinion not to start with R&S 7. It is extremely deep. It has a lot of grammar in it that most public schooled kids never get. I would start with level 5 or 6.

Most of all enjoy your dd. Get in the routine of being together all day. And I think the library suggestions are great to get you going on your homeschool journey.

I would make friends with your local librarian, and see what she recommends for free literature.

Snuggle up on the couch and read, read, read. Do some math, explore some science, watch some history documentaries. Enjoy being together and start fresh next year with the curriculum you feel comfortable with using.

I might use this time to teach some life skills - cooking, laundry, gardening.

Welcome to the adventure!!

Thank you! We love to snuggle and read together! I've been told our librarian is a little grouchy to homeschoolers but I'm going to butter her up with kindness.;)

I love the idea of spending some time teaching life skills. (and I could use some help in the garden)

Take a deep breathe. I know the more knowledgable among us will chime in. I'm only in my 3rd year. I have a 5th grader so take what I say w/ a dollup of salt.

IF I were in your shoes, I'd focus on what you have listed and not worry about the questions marks (latin, geography, logic, spelling,) for now unless your DD was begging to do it now. I think for most HSing is a transition even if DC is begging to homeschool. I think doing what you have listed, you'll get a feel for where the holes are, how your DC learns best, and what will work and not. You'll be able to assess her writing, spelling, her critical thinking and will then be in a better position to make solid choices for the upcoming year.

Capt Uhura

:iagree: and we're finishing up your 7th year of schooling.

OH YES! Go to http://www.peacehillpress.com and click on audio and purchase SWB's Middle grades writing, Joy of Classical Education, History as Literature, and Literary ANalysis! THat'll take you for about $16 but it's money well spent.

:iagree: These are an excellent investment.

I would take time to do things like work in the garden. I would try to make these last few weeks of this year something special. Use the perks of homeschooling to show your dd that homeschooling is fun. Even though it sounds like you are making this choice because of a negative situation, turn it around to make like something you would have chosen anyway. Not sure if that makes sense, I'm not wording it correctly.

It's okay to look at some of the perks:

sleeping in a little later

maybe wearing PJs for part of the morning

breakfast together

going out to lunch together

Everyone's given you great great advice. Aside from our history map work we do an easy 5 minute geography that's pretty much painless. We do map tracing. So say start with continents. My kids would trace the outlines of the continents within 4 minutes (I use a timer) then they spend 2 minutes writing in the names of the continents. You'd be amazed at how easily they pick it up AND can draw them without tracing! Every now and then I have them draw it by memory. Once they know that backwards and forwards I move to North America. 3 minutes to trace, 2 minutes to write in the countries. You can do the same with the states though that takes longer. But I spend about 5 minutes. Over time they work through the world and not only know them by heart but can do rough drawings of the countries.

I would start with what you have and add in other things later. Just get into the swing of things: a few more months (or years!) without Latin is not going to wreck her.

When you are comfortable homeschooling, then you can start looking around for more materials. You'll know your daughter's learning personality more, and will also have a feel for how much time you have to accomplish extras.

Best wishes

Laura

Deschooling? :)

I like Imrich's suggestion best. Take some time to let her be home and get used to not having to go to school. Worst thing you could do would be to rush into curriculum purchases AND stress her out by jumping right into a bunch of work. Start next fall and in the meantime give her time and space to get bored, read a lot, visit local museums, etc.

Getting Started With Latin by William Linney. She sounds like a real bright girl so she'll probably fly through it and then you can move on to something more challenging-but it's a great intro for parents too.

Don't forget that it's fun. I'm finding that it and the MCT grammar books are a marvelous mix!

I went to hand in my paperwork this morning and they let my give them my notice, but told me they needed more details for our curriculum. What? So I asked them to explain what I'm missing. They want a list of books we're going to read. Ok anything else? Nope. Oh wait, she has to take the state tests with the school. What? Why? The answer, because she has to. Ok fine, whatever. I think they need her high scores to boost their stats.

I need more coffee!

Are you in NY state? She does not have to take the NYS test. She can take the CAT, SAT/10 or the ITBS. But it might be easiest this year to have just take the NYS test and be done with it. Unfortunately, it sounds like your district is going to be a bear to deal with.

Spelling: is she a natural speller? I wasn't even doing spelling with my eldest by your dd's age. I had been doing Spelling Power with her because I was able to do a pretest to place her, and then each day I gave her a spelling test. She only studied the words she didn't know, which were very few.

There is a fair bit of physical geography in the BJU Earth and Science, so all you need is some map work which you could tie in with history. Timelines are great, but we have never done them; my eldest is very challenging and I had to choose my battles. I hope to finally do them with my ds next year because he'll be the only one home. ie, I wouldn't stress it. You could just make your own on a long piece of butcher paper while you go through the History Encyclopedia.

My suggestion is to keep it simple the first year your dd's are at home. I wish I'd done that; I ended up having to in the end. I've been doing this for 8 years now and learn something new every year. I also have to tweak things every year and sometimes totally change things as my dc are all so different.

I always hand deliver my letter of intent; here we have to submit it all at once, but you dno't live here and have already received advice on that. I always put in a line like this; you may wish to put this with your plan of instruction, but find out what your local regulations are first (and not from the school:).

"We reserve the right to change or modify materials based on our children’s individual educational needs."

What latin would you start with? I love that your doing deadly diseases, my youngest would love that too.

Wow you can see what is on my brain :lol: I meant logic. I would either look into Art of Argument or do a combo of Fallacy Detective and Thinking toolbox (both about a half a year so more than do-able for 1 year)

I am neck deep looking into both Spanish and Latin curricula for next year so I am no help there at the moment :blushing:

One still has to go through the hoops and motions, but yes really there isn't much time left.

It would go something like this:

you submit your Notice of Intent, the school has 10 days to respond, they send a copy of the regs

you have four weeks to submit your plan of instruction (that must include certain subjects, a list of books or syllabus type thing with a list of the subjects and the plan for how one will cover those subjects)

you are also to choose your quarterly report submission dates, with such little time left only submitting one would make sense

you also have to submit an end of the year assessment (depending on the grade of the child that can be a test or narrative assessment)

Obviously all of that is silly in a period of 9 weeks, but those are the requirements irregardless.

They cannot reject one's plan so long as the plan states the required subjects and gives one a reasonable idea of how they will be covered (could be titles of specific books with a list of topics, or some statement about how one will go about covering the subject). So a district can't say "no I don't like how you plan to cover history". They can only say "you show no plan to cover history".

I'm meeting with a local homeschool mom tonight. Are you sure we can choose our own submission dates? I think the lady at the district office doen't like me. Maybe I should bring sweets next time.:D

Thanks for all your help.

So did you sort out your plans? I'm coming into this a bit late, didn't think there was much more to be said with so many responses, hehe. NY has more detailed expectations than some other states, so please take your time and research to know exactly what you need to do. Don't compel yourself to do MORE than that however. There is a lot to be said for de-schooling. If she's a great student (sounds like she is), then it's about giving you two time to figure out how you like to work together, kwim? Otherwise you could have some very EXPENSIVE mistakes. Don't do that. Don't make mistakes because you're in a rush.

For the things you haven't figured out, and frankly for the ones you think you have, I suggest you back up and just take a trip to the library. Find a book you can use to hit that subject for FREE. Do that book for a month. Then the official school year is done! Deschool and figure out your plans for fall. Take that BJU Earth & Space science. There's absolutely no reason in the world you need to buy that right now. You could go to the library and get a pile of dvd's on science topics, watch them and read books for the next month, and call science done. Use that time to get the promo dvd from BJU so you can see *samples* of the materials. Find a friend with them and see the books in person. It's just dropping too much money to make a mistake, kwim? You won't even know if you want to do it all yourself, with the online, or blending by using just the labs dvd. So take your time and avoid costly mistakes.

Personally, I think you'd do really well to find an online (free!) unit study and do that for a month or two. Let that hit all or many your subjects. It will be fun, creative, different, and buy you a bit of time. I have a ton of ideas going through my head (Anne of Green Gables, Hobbit, etc.), but one you could pull off instantly and for free would be a Shakespeare study. There are wonderful free guides on Holt's website, and you can use them along with dvd's and books from the library. So you could do the history, write about what you're reading, make a cool journal on the computer of it, etc. etc. There are some wonderful Shakespeare retellings that are great for this age. Try the book by Marchette Chute. There are incredible picture books of Shakespeare stories (Bruce Coville), so she can explore the art, make her own, etc. She could make costumes and re-enact.

We have always done something different for the month of May, just to change up the pace from our normal things. This year we're sort of wrapped up in a geography study, so I guess that will have to do. We've been doing the Shakespeare thing I described, just a bit at a time, and it's fun. You could focus on just the COMEDIES. You don't need expensive guides. My dd is crazy for the comedies. I'll have to look up the producer of this dvd. It was part of a series, and they're very well done. Our library had them.

Ambrose is the producer of those really great Shakespeare dvds.

http://my.hrw.com/nsmedia/novelwise_ms_te_version/find/byauthor.htm# This is the link for the free lit guides at Holt. Take something she likes from there and MILK it. Write about it, read about it, research the history and science around it. Do something creative using powerpoint or art with it. One thing that's free, all your subjects but math. Save your money for later. Who knows? You may learn something about how she likes to work that changes what you plan for fall. :)

Part of the reason you want to wait is because she's at a good age to consider some online classes. That latin for instance might be really nice in an online class. VeritasPress has killer Omnibus classes. VP is also doing some summer classes btw.

Edited by OhElizabeth

I love the idea of spending time on Shakespeare. I was teaching her how to sew and we could make the costumes. My sister in law loves Shakespeare and we had planned to take her to live plays in a park next summer, but I think we should do it this summer. (we can all go in costume) (ok maybe not all of us)

Do you think bju is not worth the money, what I meant is can we pull together most of the same stuff?

I have to say I am so glad I joined this forum! Everyone has great ideas and has helped to ease my stress.

Well I'm glad you liked the idea! Yes, I would say the BJU *is* worth the money. You just want to take enough time to know for sure which way you want to do it and which book you want to do. My first thought would have been to let her do the Life Science first. If you can connect up with somebody locally using the materials to let you see them yourself, that would be great.

BTW, if you sew costumes, we'd love to see how they turn out!

You can find other ways to bring in your sewing too. Last year I did an Underground Railroad quilting class with my dd that was fabulous. We used the book by Eleanor Burns as our spine. Tons of fun. It's so nice to have them home and be able to make time for things like this. Did you know MIT has a kitchen science class in their opencourseware section? It's one of those things I have mentally sticky-noted for later. :)

Edited by OhElizabeth

BTW, if you're attending live, consider doing several versions (live, Ambrose, a modern spin-off, etc.) so she can compare them. My dd watched some of the Ambrose versions several times, because she enjoyed the humor so much. I think you understand more each time you watch.

Thanks OhElizabeth! I think I can get some of the dvds from the library and maybe Netflix.

I'm so excited about our planned projects (so are my girls). We will try to post pictures as we finish them.

I'm feeling much better after meeting with a wonderful woman who homeschools her 8 children. Between the amazing people on this forum and her, I am both inspired and excited for our future. We had decided to homeschool our children in the fall but with a little push from God this has turned into a blessing.