Menu

Best place for homeschoolers to live?

San Antonio, TX

Texas is homeschooling friendly. San Antonio has lots of homeschoolers and has an organization that offers homeschooling sports teams that play private schools. The organization has practice fields and its own building for co-ops. Plus the area is just pretty.

Indiana, Iowa, and Kentucky are all good. I live in IN right now and I don't report one single thing to anyone. We homeschool and no one even knows we exist or has to know. We do exist though :). I know in KY you just send the school district a form about your intent to homeschool and who you will be homeschooling and that's it.

I was going to say Texas too. Austin is a great area to Homeschool in.

We do not have to report to anyone and are considered a Private School in this state.

There are tons of possibilities for homeschooled kids. There are sports groups, acting, singing, etc. Lots of one day schools, co-ops and more! We really love it. There are so many businesses that are homeschool friendly as well.

Edited by bbsweetpea

I'll put my vote in for Washington State. There are very minor requirements, but it takes me hardly any time at all to fulfill them! No major hoops to jump through or people out checking on us! Easy-peasy! Our county has hundreds of homeschoolers!

MO is also an easy state to homeschool in. One is required to keep track of their hours which one is not required to give to anyone!

And teh St. Louis area has a ton of active homeschool groups and pretty much all of the museums and the zoo is free.

I guess it depends on what's important to you as a hser. If your main priority is not having to send in paperwork, Minnesota probably wouldn't be for you. However, if having access to a wide variety of educational resources is at the top of your list, Minnesota is a great place to homeschool. We have great museums all over the state, great arts programs in every city and town I've lived in, and wonderful libraries. Also, you can't throw a stick without hitting a state park. Also, I've read that hsers can get a tax credit here covering some of their expenses, but I can't elaborate because dd is too young for us to qualify.

Another factor that would attract me is cost of living. It would be nice to be in an area where one income families could live comfortably.

Here, we have a few regulations (I don't find them a problem), lots of homeschoolers, groups, activities, etc., but it's really, really expensive.

We have great museums all over the state, great arts programs in every city and town I've lived in, and wonderful libraries. Also, you can't throw a stick without hitting a state park.

I think this is what makes a great place to homeschool. Also living in a place of fairly decent financial stability so that all these wonderful public resources continue to be funded, not in a place that's cut its library hours or closed your nearest branch, or shut down state parks.

I'd always say Pennsylvania, because I think it's a great place to live, with lots of things to do, an excellent library system, lots of homeschool support -- except for the regulations about homeschooling. If you don't like having to report to someone and send in paperwork, this would not be a good place. Even still, it's highly dependent on your local school district.

I have heard from friends in Virginia that it's easy to homeschool there as well, but only because VA allows a religious exemption from all requirements. If that applies to you, then VA would also be a good place to live.

Another factor that would attract me is cost of living. It would be nice to be in an area where one income families could live comfortably.

Here, we have a few regulations (I don't find them a problem), lots of homeschoolers, groups, activities, etc., but it's really, really expensive.

Texas has a relatively low cost of living, depending on where you settle (in the middle of a big city or in the suburbs). The area I live in is very affordable, and your money buys you a lot of house/land as compared to other places.

Texas also has libraries, parks, museums, zoos (the one in Fort Worth is well known), aquariums, etc. The Dallas/Fort Worth area is rich in these sorts of resources. Google Casa Manana and Bass Hall.

Elgin, IL. Illinois has no requirements beyond do the same general topics (math, reading, etc.) in English same number of days per year as public school. BUT- no one check on you, there is no paperwork to file..and in my area, the local schools are friendly with the homeschoolers (many teachers homeschool or say that they wish they had the time to do so!!!).

And our public library is GREAT - several years now Gail Borden has made some national list of ten-best public libraries!

you are less than an hour train ride away from Chicago stuff, too.