Menu

What is the Queen's, Charles, William & Kate's last name?

From wiki...

Although Royals don't tend to use a last name, in the instance of a marriage, for example, Prince William's last name is Mountbatten-Windsor. This is the surname of all descendents of Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth II excluding females who marry.

The name Mountbatten-Windsor derives from the Royal surname Windsor, decided in 1917 by George V. Before this, the Royal surname was technically Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, but due to anti-German sentiment after WWI, the decision was made to change the royal surname to Windsor.

In 1960, the Queen and Prince Philip decided to create a surname for their direct descendants, incorporating the surnames 'Windsor' and Prince Philip's previous surname, 'Mountbatten'.

Therefore, Mountbatten-Windsor is the surname of all male, and unmarried female descendents of Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth II including Charles, William and Harry.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_Prince_William's_last_name#ixzz1KvKwC3Ur

Technically, the Queen's is only Windsor. But, in honor of her husband, she hyphenated the last name of her children when they were born and so they have the last name Mounbatten-Windsor. I do not know if Charles kept that name for his own children or if he only chose Windsor.

Faith, Oops Twomokeys got in there ahead of me. Sorry!

I always understood it to be Windsor but then I was confused because in the William and Kate movie he introduced himself as William Wales and his nametape on his uniform said Wales. I'm not sure why. Anyone know???

Because he is the Prince of Wales. They don't use last names.

Susan

From wiki...

Although Royals don't tend to use a last name, in the instance of a marriage, for example, Prince William's last name is Mountbatten-Windsor. This is the surname of all descendents of Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth II excluding females who marry.

The name Mountbatten-Windsor derives from the Royal surname Windsor, decided in 1917 by George V. Before this, the Royal surname was technically Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, but due to anti-German sentiment after WWI, the decision was made to change the royal surname to Windsor.

In 1960, the Queen and Prince Philip decided to create a surname for their direct descendants, incorporating the surnames 'Windsor' and Prince Philip's previous surname, 'Mountbatten'.

Therefore, Mountbatten-Windsor is the surname of all male, and unmarried female descendents of Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth II including Charles, William and Harry.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_Prince_William's_last_name#ixzz1KvKwC3Ur

The Wikipedia article is slightly off in saying that "the Royal surname was technically Saxe-Coburg-Gotha." This was the name of their "Royal House" but was not a "surname." The adoption of Windsor and Mountbatten-Windsor as "surnames" is a modern invention.

Bill

the Queen's name is Windsor. Charles last name is Wales. What about Andrew and Edward, is their last name Windsor? I mean do they ever have to put down a last name, as on a passport of other such official document. How about on marriage certificate?

The Queen's children are "Mountbatten-Windsor."

They are all made up names anyway, so what's it matter? :D

Lord Carroll Brownswiggle-Hemmingway (aka Bill)

I was sitting here, very sleep deprived, saying Kate Middleton, now Kate ??, does royalty have last names?

They got all of their titles today, only first names mentioned.

Just curious!

She is now Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cambridge. No last name, really.

Charles and Diana were the Waleses, as he is the Prince of Wales (a title bestowed on him by the Queen, not an automatic title just because he is the heir apparent). Which of course makes his new wife also the Princess of Wales, but that's so awkward for the royal family, you know, so they use his other title...::thinking, thinking, thinking:: Duke and Duchess of Cornwall? I guess that would make them the Cornwalls, if anyone talks about them, which hardly anyone does any longer.

Charles last name is Wales. What about Andrew and Edward, is their last name Windsor?

Charles is the Prince of Wales, with the surname of Mountbatten-Windsor; Andrew is the Duke of York, and Edward is the Earl of something-or-other.:tongue_smilie: It's all so confusing!

Ok so then why do people use Windsor? Is either correct?

Well, my understanding (which is limited, lol) is that Windsor is their last name legally, but they do not introduce themselves that way to others & use last names. Why? I have no idea!!! But none of them use a last name for the purpose of introducing themselves. So even though Charle's last name is Windsor & technically his children are too, the prince is identified as William Wales.

Susan

Ok so then why do people use Windsor? Is either correct?

It gets confusing because the royals come from a "House" and typically did not have family surnames (that changed in the UK).

Queen Elizabeth came from what was called "The House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha", but it was too German sounding in WWII, so the name of the House was changed to Windsor, a name they nicked from one of their castles. They also took "Windsor" as a surname (in a break from tradition). Then Elizabeth changed things so her children with Phillip would be known as Mountbatten-Windsor, but they are still of "The House of Windsor" (not the House of Mountbatten-Windsor). With me?

The Mountbatten name was also an "invention." Phillip was of "The House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg", which was also a tiny bit too German sounding (appropriate since these "British" monarchs are hardly British). So, flouting convention, he took the Anglicized name of his mother's family (which was Battenberg) as his family name.

So the new family name is Mountbatten-Windsor, and they are of The House of Windsor. And it is all a bunch of nonsense :tongue_smilie:

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

that is why I am Jeannie of New Jersey, no last name lol. My heritage is English, Scottish and Irish but no royalty as far as I know!!

I like to be called, "Your Royal Highness". Although, others may prefer to call me a "Royal Pain".:D

Susan,

Duchess of Housework

It gets confusing because the royals come from a "House" and typically did not have family surnames (that changed in the UK).

Queen Elizabeth came from what was called "The House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha", but it was too German in WWII, so the name of the House was changed to Windsor, a name they nicked from one of their castles. They also took "Windsor" as a surname (in a break from tradition). Then Elizabeth changed things so her children with Phillip would be known as Mountbatten-Windsor, but they are still of "The House of Windsor" (not the House of Mountbatten-Windsor). With me?

The Mountbatten name was also an "invention." Phillip was of "The House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg", which was also a tiny bit too German sounding (appropriate since these "British" monarchs are hardly British). So, flouting convention, he took the Anglicized name of his mother's family (which was Battenberg) as his family name.

So the new family name is Moutbatten-Windsor, and they are of The House of Windsor. And it is all a bunch of nonsense :tongue_smilie:

Bill

So you're telling me they would've been the "Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg-Saxe-Coburg and Gotha"? And I thought Moutbatten-Windsor was cumbersome. No wonder they don't use surnames.

So you're telling me they would've been the "Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg-Saxe-Coburg and Gotha"? And I thought Moutbatten-Windsor was cumbersome. No wonder they don't use surnames.

I see I had a Freudian slip [since edited] in calling the Royal family "Moutbatten-Windsor", and I'm delighted you repeated it :D

Why did I fix it????:tongue_smilie:

Bill

I don't know why no one uses the Queen as the face of women's lib. I have never ONCE heard her cited as a reason for a woman keeping her last name or hyphenating. She was clearly ahead of her time.

Now, if only I could learn to speak like her. Heck, I was listening to a recording of Malcolm X recently, and his accent sounded rather close to the Kennedy's!

I don't know why no one uses the Queen as the face of women's lib. I have never ONCE heard her cited as a reason for a woman keeping her last name or hyphenating. She was clearly ahead of her time.

Now, if only I could learn to speak like her. Heck, I was listening to a recording of Malcolm X recently, and his accent sounded rather close to the Kennedy's!

It's a little know fact that Malcolm X was Malcolm Mecklenburg-Schwerin-Schwarzburg-Sondershausen, but he thought it made him sound "too German." :tongue_smilie:

I joke.

Bill

I see I had a Freudian slip [since edited] in calling the Royal family "Moutbatten-Windsor", and I'm delighted you repeated it :D

Why did I fix it????:tongue_smilie:

Bill

My mad copy & paste skills won't correct typos, so I'll leave it in my post in your honor.

I realize that the royal house would have a flutter, a tizzy, and nervous breakdown if William were to consider this, but it sure would be cool if he gave a nod to his wife's common roots and entitle his children with the surname - Middleton Windsor! Yeah, I know....a big, huge, pipe dream. I get it. But still.....At least their future children will be lucky to see some variety added back to the gene pool!

Faith

She is now Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cambridge. No last name, really.

Charles and Diana were the Waleses, as he is the Prince of Wales (a title bestowed on him by the Queen, not an automatic title just because he is the heir apparent). Which of course makes his new wife also the Princess of Wales, but that's so awkward for the royal family, you know, so they use his other title...::thinking, thinking, thinking:: Duke and Duchess of Cornwall? I guess that would make them the Cornwalls, if anyone talks about them, which hardly anyone does any longer.

Camilla uses the Cornwall title (also one of her husband's many, many titles) because she doesn't want to use "princess of wales' due to the whole Diana thing. Diana used Princess of Wales, as was her due, and it will be forever associated with her. Cornwall is 'safer' as a title. But, Camilla, is, I think, the actual princess of wales.

All I can ever think of when I see these people is Madam Defarge and her dolls and birds:

"As to you," said she, "you would shout and shed tears for anything, if it made a show and a noise. Say! Would you not?"

"Truly, madame, I think so. For the moment."

"If you were shown a great heap of dolls, and were set upon them to pluck them to pieces and despoil them for your own advantage, you would pick out the richest and gayest. Say! Would you not?"

"Truly yes, madame."

"Yes. And if you were shown a flock of birds, unable to fly, and were set upon them to strip them of their feathers for your own advantage, you would set upon the birds of the finest feathers; would you not?"

"It is true, madame."

"You have seen both dolls and birds to-day," said Madame Defarge, with a wave of her hand towards the place where they had last been apparent; "now, go home!"

Queen Elizabeth came from what was called "The House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha", but it was too German sounding in WWII, so the name of the House was changed to Windsor, a name they nicked from one of their castles. They also took "Windsor" as a surname (in a break from tradition). Then Elizabeth changed things so her children with Phillip would be known as Mountbatten-Windsor, but they are still of "The House of Windsor" (not the House of Mountbatten-Windsor). With me?

So the new family name is Mountbatten-Windsor, and they are of The House of Windsor. And it is all a bunch of nonsense :tongue_smilie:

Bill

Close, but the House was actually changed during WWI by George V.

This book has been helpful to me in my reading of history: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0789442450/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/179-0161563-3015014

the Queen's name is Windsor. Charles last name is Wales. What about Andrew and Edward, is their last name Windsor? I mean do they ever have to put down a last name, as on a passport of other such official document. How about on marriage certificate?

Edward uses Windsor doesn't he?

I have seen a couple documentaries he did and it said "Windsor"

Camilla uses the Cornwall title (also one of her husband's many, many titles) because she doesn't want to use "princess of wales' due to the whole Diana thing. Diana used Princess of Wales, as was her due, and it will be forever associated with her. Cornwall is 'safer' as a title. But, Camilla, is, I think, the actual princess of wales.

Correct. She chooses not to use the title, and has said that when/if Prince Charles becomes King, she wants to be termed Princess Consort.

Charles' last name is not Wales. He is the Prince of Wales, the region.

Close, but the House was actually changed during WWI by George V.

This book has been helpful to me in my reading of history: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0789442450/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/179-0161563-3015014

Correct. Unfortunate typo on my part (I am aware it was WW, I believe it or not :tongue_smilie:).

Still it's a bell I can't unring, so: Well spotted!

Bill (who must learn to proof-read :D)

Charles' last name is not Wales. He is the Prince of Wales, the region.

And whales are a royal fish (not that they are actually fish) but they are the property of the crown.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the topic at hand :tongue_smilie:

Bill

Before 1917, members of the British Royal Family had no surname, but only the name of the house or dynasty to which they belonged. In 1917, George V (Queen Elizabeth II's grandfather) changed the name of his house from Saxe-Coburg and Gotha to Windsor, and specifically adopted Windsor as the surname of his family. The family name was changed as a result of anti-German feeling during the First World War.

Prior to his marriage to Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Philip, who was born into the Danish and Greek royal families, became a naturalized British subject and renounced his royal title. He adopted the surname Mountbatten from his British maternal grandparents. The wedding registration shows the queen's name as Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Windsor.

When she became queen, Elizabeth II announced that the house and the family names would remain Windsor. But in 1960, she decided that the House name would remain Windsor, but the family name--for those who would need a surname--would be Mountbatten-Windsor. This applied to her descendants only. Thus, the male line descendants of George V would continue to have the surname Windsor, while the descendants of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, including Prince Charles and Prince William, would be Mountbatten-Windsor.

Why do you keep saying that?

Rosie

Because they are of the House of Saxe-Coberg und Gotha on one side, und the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg on the other.

I looked on a map of the British Isles, and I couldn't find these places anywhere :D

Bill

Because they are of the House of Saxe-Coberg und Gotha on one side, und the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg on the other.

I looked on a map of the British Isles, and I couldn't find these places anywhere :D

Bill

Why do you think some fancy-pantsy aristocratic surnames are a good, or only indicators of nationality?

I have a Polish surname. That doesn't make me Polish.

I have British ancestry. That doesn't make me a pom.

I am descended from Little John, of Robin Hood fame. That doesn't make me a cartoon.

Rosie