Menu

Sample of dd10's spelling...Help!

Ginger

My daughter is 10 1/2 and her spelling is just not getting any better. We've tried SWO, Sequential Spelling, Orton Gillingham methods, and Calvert Spelling CD and I'm sure there are some others thrown in there....

Here is a sample of things she wrote just this week: I'll put in quotes her actual words

"Alwas think pousitvive!" (always think positive)

Fill in the blank...at the end of the presentation the audience claps to show:

"apricant" (appreciation??)

"incorage"

"respect"

The most helpful critiques are "turethfull" and "pusifect" (I assume she meant truthful and positive)

Here is a sample of something she wrote about volcanoes. Notice the 3 different ways she spelled erupting!:

"In Hawaii's national park a volano is inrappting.

Volacanos arappting

Kilauea Volcano is enrupting"

Is any of this even half way normal for her age?? She is a great reader--scored in the 99th %ile on the ITBS. And it isn't even that she is spelling phonetically....I would be happy if she was. She obviously (to me anyway) has some type of LD when it comes to spelling.

Does anyone have any words of advice? I think my next 'fix' will be Phonetic Zoo...I just hate to keep switching programs. She seemed to do best with the OG methods that she did with her dyslexic brother, but she did so well that I moved her on (we had only been doing one syllable 4 or 5 sound words). On, and I used REWARDS with her, and she generally did pretty well on the spelling section of that book....using multisyllabic words.

I'm just at a loss now...But I feel this has to take a top priority.

is in the same boat. I have tried several programs also, and we are currently using a Calvert Spelling cd. Even if she works to learn the correct spellings and pass a level the correct spellings nearly never are used when doing writing assignments or in her personal writing. My daughter is also a great reader. Sorry there's no real help here but know that I will be watching the replies as well.

Cindy H. in NC

We switched to Phonic Zoo in January and his spelling is improving. They test each day on a group of word. The same words are tested each day till all are correct. My son did not like it at first. He now works harder at the spelling and its fun for him. He feels like he is in competition with himself to learn the word in x amount a days. I have tried several programs but will stay with phonic zoo. It's working for him.

My daughter is 10 1/2 and her spelling is just not getting any better. We've tried SWO, Sequential Spelling, Orton Gillingham methods, and Calvert Spelling CD and I'm sure there are some others thrown in there
How long did you stick with each of these? With a program like Sequential Spelling, you won't see immediate improvement.

We're using the 3rd grade Calvert now. She does about a lesson a day, but I don't know how much she is retaining...I don't like the fact that I can't check her progress on there. I thought that since she is going through the CD so quickly, that I'll have her repeat it when she is finished before moving the the 4th grade one.

Is Phonetic Zoo on the computer or is it a tape/cd with earphones?

My dd doesn't seem to hear the sounds in order. The O-G methods forced her to do that (O-G is a method for teaching dyslexics to read...I just let her join in for the spelling component daily).

She seems to have a poor visual memory too since she has trouble with common, frequent words (ie...alwas for always).

I used SWO for about year (one book), Sequential Spelling for a little over a year(but wasn't able to complete the book, ---Oh that reminds me of a time the main word of the list was "car". She spelled that right and the next several words with "car" in them. Then she got a simple word like cars and she spelled it some crazy way like "caers"). Anyway....we did the OG the first half of this year and then started the Calvert about 2 months ago.

Since the OG was working, I'd go back to that. You might as well keep doing the Calvert spelling cd as well. Some kids just need a LOT of spelling and LOT of writing to get things to click. As you say, the OG approach of thinking through the sounds in those words will help her immensely. Also, doing dictation with her will help. If your curriculum has sample sentences for the spelling words, then dictate those sentences. If not, then look at something like Spelling Plus http://cathyduffyreviews.com/spelling-vocabulary/spelling-plus.htm which has dictation sentences. The Spelling Plus website also has more sentences for dictation online. Or you could use the Wise Guide for SWR. Or just open a book and read it to her for dictation. Just do SOMETHING. Dictation is amazing because it gets them to practice those frequent words in context. My dd really seems to need that context for things to stick. But the trick is to not let them write words INCORRECTLY. Use your OG explanations for how to spell words and ask her before EVERY SINGLE WORD whether she knows the word or not. It's not a test but a team effort. If she doesn't know or only knows part, you help her sound through it with your OG methods. Reward her for asking and use some kind of funny but negative response (buzzer sound, tickling, whatever) when she jumps into writing incorrectly. I did this with my dd, and it helped immensely. I was trying to develop in her the sense that she KNOWS when she knows words and when she doesn't and that she should ASK for help if she doesn't know the word. It takes so little time to explain a word with OG/SWR/WRTR methods, so it doesn't slow them down much. Also, the Alphalist from SWR is helpful as a way for her to look up her own words. It's just the thousand most common words and their markings/explanations, no defs or clutter to sort through. Makes it easy to look up words while writing.

Don't think of it as one thing that will fix her spelling. With my dd, to get over that hump we did 3/4-1 page of dictation a day, increased our overall writing, did SWR *and* the calvert spelling *and* even a workbook at one point. We made that increase in writing, writing CORRECTLY or asking, a huge focus. Get something she likes (m&m's, whatever) and have a positive reward when she asks how to spell a word rather than proceeding incorrectly. Have her think through the words with your OG techniques. All these things turn their brains ON and get them thinking about it rather than just proceeding mindlessly. At least those are the things that have helped in our house. My dd isn't one of those natural spellers you hear about, so we've really had to beat the bush on it to get over some humps. We didn't necessarily get a lot ELSE done when we were focusing so much on it, but after a few months you can look back and see progress, kwim?

We were/are in the same boat as you!! We have tried numerous spelling programs... Spelling Workout, The Grammar of Spelling, Spelling Power, Natural Speller, Rod and Staff Spelling.... and it really did not do much good. We will probably go back to Spelling Power, as we did not give that one a fair try.

However, my dd is 11 1/2 now, and her spelling has gotten better. There are still a few "surprises" every once in a while. For example, she spelled the word "bottom".... like this: boddum. SIGH:confused:

What has really helped her is just writing ALOT. She also has an email address, and I check each and every email that goes out... which has become a mini spelling/grammar lesson. She has improved TONS!

My son has been a poor speller too. I think that some kids are honestly BAD spellers. I also believe that we just need to keep encouraging them, and helping them and it will eventually get better. Just not on our time table:lol:

So, my advice would be to make her write alot, and go over the errors she has made and explain the spelling rules in context! I hope this helps.

Blessings in Spelling,

Jennifer

Yes, this is indicative of a serious problem with spelling. After having her hearing and vision checked, I would have her evaluated if that is at all possible. I don't know how that works for homeshcooled students in your state.

I also think that you have used a lot of different programs considering she is only 10. I would suggest, if nothing else, just staying wtih what you are using or going back to one you have used and finishing it.

I have no real answers. As smart as my 10 year old is ( she has a photographic memory ) her spelling stinks .

We're doing the Calvert spelling but we also have Calvert and she does the workbook and CD . The more she practices though the better she becomes. But even then words she had last year she doesn't remember how to spell. Yet my 8yr old is finishing 3rd grade Calvert and can spell and remember words ( and she has poor short term memory ) . Go figure .

I agree with Angela and Elizabeth. Get her hearing and vision checked, and then find one or two programs and stick to them. I also think OG seems like a really good fit for your daughter.

Best wishes on this problem!

Anne

My daughter is 10 1/2 and her spelling is just not getting any better. We've tried SWO, Sequential Spelling, Orton Gillingham methods, and Calvert Spelling CD and I'm sure there are some others thrown in there....

Here is a sample of things she wrote just this week: I'll put in quotes her actual words

"Alwas think pousitvive!" (always think positive)

Fill in the blank...at the end of the presentation the audience claps to show:

"apricant" (appreciation??)

"incorage"

"respect"

The most helpful critiques are "turethfull" and "pusifect" (I assume she meant truthful and positive)

Here is a sample of something she wrote about volcanoes. Notice the 3 different ways she spelled erupting!:

"In Hawaii's national park a volano is inrappting.

Volacanos arappting

Kilauea Volcano is enrupting"

Is any of this even half way normal for her age?? She is a great reader--scored in the 99th %ile on the ITBS. And it isn't even that she is spelling phonetically....I would be happy if she was. She obviously (to me anyway) has some type of LD when it comes to spelling.

Does anyone have any words of advice? I think my next 'fix' will be Phonetic Zoo...I just hate to keep switching programs. She seemed to do best with the OG methods that she did with her dyslexic brother, but she did so well that I moved her on (we had only been doing one syllable 4 or 5 sound words). On, and I used REWARDS with her, and she generally did pretty well on the spelling section of that book....using multisyllabic words.

I'm just at a loss now...But I feel this has to take a top priority.

I had the same experience with my dd. We went through a number of spelling programs until we finally hit on All About Spelling.

I know there are mixed feelings about this program, but it has worked wonders for my dd. Her spelling was worse than the examples you gave, but has improved tremendously since using AAS. It is essential for my dd to know the rules and to review them regularly because that is the only way she can spell with any degree of accuracy. She reads all the time and it doesn't help as she is not visual. She needs to think about how to spell words (which is where the rules come into play) not memorize.

I am not saying you should try another program and I do agree with others that vision/hearing tests may be helpful to eliminate other factors. I think you need to find her learning style in regards to spelling and find something (or adjust something you already have) to support that.

My dd has to work hard at spelling (unlike her brother who is a natural speller) and she will probably never be great at it, but now that we have identified the best way to help her understand and improve she can at least write something that can be understood by others.

Anyway, I hope you find what works because I understand how hard this can be both for you and your dd.

I agree with those who recommend some testing for auditory processing problems. Also post on Special Needs board. There are individuals trained in OG on that board that might give you more insight. My off-the-cuff reaction is that your dd might be a good cannidate for Fast For Word. It's not a spelling program, but would help with her ordering sound problems. Once that is done, I'd take up spelling seriously again.

My DD is dysgraphic, which had *never* heard of until my mother (a speced teacher) suggested it. She could (and does) read so, so well, and it became glaringly obvious about 7-ish that her handwriting and spelling was really "off". Letter reversals, letters (or words) left out, etc.

She went to ps for part of 2nd grade and got OT. It helped her fine motor skills, but dysgraphia has a brain component difficult to really "treat". Sequential Spelling has really helped (we're in Book 2), cursive and typing helped (harder to reverse in cursive!) and the transition to typing for most everything has helped. I know some really cringe at the idea of not perfecting handwriting- its a lost art and all that- but we're choosing to work smarter, and not harder, so typing it is.

I don't know if your DD is dysgraphic, based on your examples, or just a poor speller, but its another thing to look into.Its been pretty frustrating but we are finally starting to make real progress.FWIW, on her state-mandated, highly hyped testing in ps in 2nd grade, she got a perfect score on the spelling portion.:lol:It was "pick the right spelling", which she can DO, because she reads great, but she just can't actually SPELL anything. It really drove home (even to her teacher) that those tests are an extremely poor way of measuring real ability!

Cami

First, I agree with those who suggest testing to rule out hearing or visual problems, dyslexia, or processing issues, especially as you mention you are concerned about a learning disorder. That can set your mind at rest, and if there is a specific issue, then you'll better know how to go about working on it. : )

Second, it seems as though the examples you shared are in the midst of her writing. Is that right? If so, be aware that:

- being able to THINK of what to write

- physically getting that thought onto paper through actually WRITING

- and SPELLING

are all skills needed in writing, but all three are processed in different parts of the brain. AND, all three different brain functions mature at different times! So simultaneous thinking/writing/spelling is VERY difficult. If that is the only place spelling struggles show up, then that is more a matter of practice and maturity.

For example, my son is mildly dyslexic, and is a very visual-spatial learner. He did not at all connect with spelling, no matter what we did, until about age 12. He could dictate wonder writing, so no problem with the "thinking about what to write" part. But he struggled to get his thoughts onto paper (slow to develop those fine motor skills) and he had not at all developed in the spelling area. He is just now at age 14 able to do all three functions at once, doing "free writes" 1-2x a week -- but he completely leaves out punctuation and capitalization, and has loads of misspellings (though, now he is can go back afterwards and see for himself that words are misspelled and can catch and correct some of them).

We finally settled on making our own spelling program which covers:

1. spelling rules (use something like All About Spelling, or the program of your choice)

2. syllibication/spelling attack (Megawords)

3. practice in a variety of ways (here's where we incorporated techniques from Sequential Spelling, Phonetic Zoo, and others)

Below are the practice methods we use. If you only were to do ONE technique, I would say that oral spelling is the method that really helps cement the sequential order of the letters for each word into the child's mind (Phonetic Zoo). BUT, for a struggling speller, I highly recommend using all of these methods, interspersing them throughout the day (in other words, do a short burst of spelling with one technique, then come back to it later after doing other things for another short burst of spelling practice).

Patience and perseverance, Ginger! : )

Just 2 cents worth out of our personal spelling journey! BEST of luck in finding what works for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Spelling Practice Methods:

WRITING (daily, 4x/week; 5 minutes a day)

I make up a worksheet a day, practicing the words in various ways:

- I write the list of words as in a column, with the words all using one vowel pattern together and a little separate from all the words using the other vowel pattern(s). He copies each word twice in columns next to my column.

- I mix the words together. He sorts and lists the words in columns under the appropriate heading (ex: under the "eu" words heading, he would write spelling words such as feud, feudal, Europe, pneumonia, etc.; under the "ew" words heading, he would write spelling words such as "new", "knew", "renewal", "nephew", etc.)

- I have him write the words by syllables, one syllable per column, like this:

nephew = neph / ew

renewal = re / new / al

- I make a worksheet in which he works with words, adding prefixes, endings, suffixes (ex: feud --> feuding or feudless); dividing into syllables; or matching up homophones with definitions.

- I write a list of definitions and then a series of blank lines to indicate how many letters are in that spelling word which matches the definition, and he fills in the words.

ORALLY (daily 4x/week, 5 minutes)

(Phonetic Zoo; "Spelling and the Brain" lecture by Andrew Pudewa)

I say the spelling word all together, then spell it out loud (by syllables if it is a long word), then toss him a beanie toy. Then he says the word, spells it out loud correctly to me, and then tosses the beanie back. Tossing the beanie keeps him mentally focused and prepared for listening, and then for his turn. If he misspells, I *immediately* correct by saying and spelling it several times correctly to him and have him repeat correctly so the incorrect spelling doesn't have time to imprint on his brain.

The first 1-2 days, we have the list right in front of him so he can look at the words, and look at each letter in correct order and say each letter in correct order. Then we move towards not having the list, and then by the end of the week, I say the word, but he spells it first and then I repeat it to him.

WORK WITH WORDS (1-2x/week; 10 minutes)

(extension of Sequential Spelling ideas)

I do this at the beginning of the week. Work with the words on a whiteboard, using 2 colors of markers to help visually highlight vowel patterns; root word/endings (and any changes to the root, such as "drop the "e" and add -ing"); syllables; tricky letter sounds/spellings; differences in homophones (make a little "story" to help see the difference between homophones; ex: "new" and "knew" -- make the "k" of "knew" into a little stick figure pointing to his head "he KNEW how to know facts!" -- and a visual "story" to help remember that new (meaning opposite of old) doesn't have the silent k at the beginning: "old and new are opposites and each is spelled with 3 letters"; or, "new is so brand new, he hasn't had time to add any extra letters to himself like "knew" has.")

TOUCH

I used this method when he was younger; he doesn't seem to need this anymore, but if you want to incorporate it, go for it! It doesn't take more than 5 minutes. Sometimes literally *feeling* the letters in sequential order helps children of certain learning styles retain the spelling.

- Have the word in front of him; he says the word, then spells it out loud letter by letter; as he says each letter he either draws that letter with his fingertip in a tray of sand or cornmeal -- or, draws the letter with his fingertip on a tabletop (make each letter BIG, using whole arm to make the motion).

WRITE/THINK/SPELL (1-2x/week; 10 minutes)

Dictation of short sentences with spelling words in each really helps him put together all the skills of thinking, writing, and spelling simultaneously. We do this mid-week and towards the end of the week, AFTER he has a level of comfort and understanding of how to spell the words.

I dictate 5 short sentences (1 at a time, slowly, while he writes the sentence), each sentence with 2-3 spelling words in it. My son often spells each word aloud as he writes it, which really helps him focus. He often catches his own errors by doing this.

I have a 13yo dd who really couldn't spell any better 1 to 2 years ago, but she is finally doing better. So what helped? Well I think it was mostly the increase in writing.... but here's her story on this:

We started with Spelling Workout when she was young but it flopped pretty quickly. Then, we did How to Spell workbooks with the dictation from How to Teach Spelling TE. We did this for a few years but she really didn't like this program at all. I eventually gave in and tried Sequential Spelling. Well this one she really liked but with three other kids I just wasn't consistent with it. It wasn't getting done daily and I really worried about getting thru the whole program. I then tried Apples Daily Spelling Drills. I like the return to spelling rules and she liked that it was easy to do and could be done on her own. This is where we are now. However she now has an outside writing class and an email account and we sometimes work on CW prgm at home. So she is writing a lot more. Yes, I let her use the spell check... but spelling it right is still faster. For email she used to just shorten words but then even her friends preferred that she spell words all the way out. So now she is typing all the time and this is really helping. She still asks me how to spell words but instead of telling her to go look it up, I might ask how she thinks it should be spelled and/or I will spell it out but break it up by phonogram and note any spelling rules. For example, 'dictation' is spelled dic ta (a says its name at the end of a syllable) ti (says /sh/) on. Drives her crazy but her spelling is improving so I'm not stopping ;).

hth

Maybe a weird and unhelpful question, but: have you had her hearing checked? Her phonetics are a bit off in some places, which is what made me think of that.

>>

Not a wierd question at all....I have questioned her hearing in the past. She did have a hearing screening at the doctors office about a year ago and she passed that fine. I figure since it was at the doctors, and not in an ideal testing environment(sound proof room) that if she passed there, that she was probably okay.

I probably should have it checked though...I've thought that she more likely has auditory processing problems. I've just spent some much time and money on therapies for my son, that she has kind of slipped through the cracks.

Thanks for mentioning that to me.