Menu

phonics/reading program for my (bright) almost 5 year old

It's time to get a phonics/reading program for my dd(almost 5) There are SO many newer programs out there, (and older goodies) that I'm looking into two that I don't know much about.

Primary Arts of Language (IEW) and The Writing Road to Reading.

Keep in mind, she knows her letters and sounds and is bright. AND... I am home schooling a high schooler, an 11 y/o and a 9 y/o. So, it can not be confusing or really time consuming to prepare or teach. :glare:

Thanks ladies! AND, if you have a better suggestion, please add it here with pros and cons.

Blessings,

It's time to get a phonics/reading program for my dd(almost 5) There are SO many newer programs out there, (and older goodies) that I'm looking into two that I don't know much about.

Primary Arts of Language (IEW) and The Writing Road to Reading.

Keep in mind, she knows her letters and sounds and is bright. AND... I am home schooling a high schooler, an 11 y/o and a 9 y/o. So, it can not be confusing or really time consuming to prepare or teach. :glare:

Thanks ladies! AND, if you have a better suggestion, please add it here with pros and cons.

Blessings,

I would go with Phonics Pathways. It's so easy to do, and it only takes 5-15 minutes a day. It's so easy to go at the child's pace--you can hang out on a page for awhile if they're having trouble, or you can move along to the next skill as quickly as needed.

I would go with Phonics Pathways. It's so easy to do, and it only takes 5-15 minutes a day. It's so easy to go at the child's pace--you can hang out on a page for awhile if they're having trouble, or you can move along to the next skill as quickly as needed.

I agree--why pay for bells and whistles in a phonics program when you can simply teach them to read with something straightforward and uncomplicated (and inexpensive), and then use the money for real books?

I use OPGTR and love it (tried other stuff)

I recently found this video and it is GREAT!! I checked it out of the library and refuse to give it back.

http://www.amazon.com/Rock-N-Learn-Phonics/dp/B00013F2FE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1302901046&sr=8-6

they have printable worksheets at their website (math too)

http://www.free-phonics-worksheets.com/

For us, the combination really works well (I have a delayed 7yo beginner and an advanced 5yo beginning reader)

Lara

Tracie, I remember you from waaaay back, and I'm glad to see you here again!

I love WRTR, although I used SWR to implement it at home. However, based on your comments that your dd is bright and you don't have a lot of time, I would suggest you look at Phonics Pathways.

My ds is 4 years younger than dd. He was familiar with the letters and phonogram cards of WRTR. He expressed an early interest to read, and after a failed attempt with 100 Easy Lessons (didn't get the rhyming), we used Phonics Pathways. I checked it out from my library before deciding to purchase. He was reading well after just a few weeks into the book, and self-taught from there. Pros: Go at your own pace; friendly format; easy to adapt and not have your dd practice letter formation. There's no prep that I can recall, you sit on the couch with your dc and you're ready to go. Oh yeah, and it was cheap. Cons? Honestly, I can't think of any.

For spelling, we later used SWR, just because I considered myself experienced (:lol:) teacher of it, and we had the materials.

If this were me, I'd also look at First Language Lessons. I think it's a reading program, and I've heard very good things about it.

PP or OPG.

PP is easier if you've already taught phonics.

OPG is easier if you haven't taught phonics recently and need a script.

Both teach to about a 4th grade level.

If you really want to do something that you could combine with your 9 yo and 11 yo, you could do Webster's Speller with all 3, using it for spelling for your older students and reading and spelling for your 5 year old. It would take a bit of reading through my linked thread to figure out how it works, though, the link is my K student's progress through the Speller and a bit of how to teach it. It teaches phonics to a 12th grade level.

:iagree: I use this and I love it. Simple, clear and effective. I'm not a big fan of programs that have a jillion elements to it.

We used Hooked on Phonics. My 5 year old knew all of his letters and their sounds before we started it. He picked it up so fast. HOP is so easy to implement and doesn't take much time. I used it with my older two and plan to use it with the youngest next year.

Spalding. Writing Road to Reading is the manual for the Spalding Method. Spalding is infinitely flexible and comprehensive; it will be everything you'll need for literacy: spelling, reading, penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, and simple writing. If you use a teacher's guide (which I wouldin't for a 5yo), it can also be more comprehensive reading, composition, and grammar.

Guest momk2000

Adventures in Phonics, Christian Liberty Press

I used it all the way through with one child, and am now completing K with a second. Both girls were early readers. No frills, no bells and whistles, no color. But, it is cheap, advanced (imo), and definitely gets the job done.

Even though my girls started reading early, I still had them go through and complete the entire phonics program (K-2).