Menu

Do any of you as adults have difficulty spelling?

I can spell most simple words, but there are a lot of words I would like to use (like on here) that I won't if I don't feel like looking them up right then and I don't like to spell words wrong. What can I do to improve my spelling?

I am not a good speller either. I love this new site because they have... drum roll... SPELL CHECK! :D

I would suggest (and it is what I am doing), read and type more (like these message boards). I am amazed at how much my spelling has improved over the years of posting to these boards. :)

I used to drive my dh crazy because he's so good at it. I am not sure how I have improved-- partly from being more well read than I used to be. I think the more you see the unusual words, the more they become familiar and are easier to spell. i notice the more my children read, the better they spell.

that reading a lot of good literature as a child does not necessarily create a good speller. I actually think there is something wrong with my brain. I have good verbal skills and have been told that I am a good writer - at least I am a good organizer of thoughts - but I am a horrible speller.

I would like to use (like on here) that I won't if I don't feel like looking them up right then and I don't like to spell words wrong. What can I do to improve my spelling?

Honey, open a new tab in your Internet brower (or open up your browser again in a new window). Then, in your new window, go to http://dictionary.reference.com/. Type in your word, in the manner you think it's spelled.

If you type in the word correctly, you'll know because it will appear with it's definition. If you have spelled the word incorrectly, you will be directed to possible words you meant. Click on a word to see the definition and assure yourself that it's the right way to spell it.

No need to get up from your computer! :001_smile:

I consistently got 100%'s in spelling in school, did well in spelling bee's etc. As I get older I have a harder time spelling things. I have also noticed as I get older that I'll use the wrong word (their, they're, there, to, too) and I have to go back and correct. That's old age for you!

hi, I cannot spell at all. I have mild "dyslexia." I am so bad at spelling that I cannot recognize spelling mistakes in my children's work!!

MelissaL

:smash: I'm awful... come from a long line of bad spellers. It can be so frustrating! LOL. My dd12 spells better than I do. I often hang my head in shame. :crying:

Same here! I'm a very visual person, and spell words based on how they "look right". Unfortunately, since I also read a lot, and a lot of the books are by British authors, I tend to spell things the British way instead of the American - you know, colour instead of color, etc because that is what I'm used to seeing. Spelling was a terrible subject for me!:D Try explaining to your 7th grade teacher that it really is a correct spelling, but in a different country.:tongue_smilie:

Love spellcheck!

that reading a lot of good literature as a child does not necessarily create a good speller.

I just recently had a discussion about this with a friend. She is kind of semi-unschooling and her dh believes that their children will learn enough about spelling through reading. I told her that he is really wrong about that because it isn't true for everyone. It is probably at least partly true for natural born spellers, but not for those who struggle. My dh is a perfect case in point. He has always been a voracious reader, has excellent verbal skills and the form of his writing is really good. But the spellchecker is his friend, let me tell you. He has never been a great speller, and there are a few very basic words that he still misspells if he doesn't think about it.

There was also some wacky spelling curriculum in the schools in the early '70's. It didn't teach spelling phonetically, but by sound or something. In my school they used it experimentally, but parents could opt out, which mine did. So I learned to spell phonetically and I am generally a good speller. Dh (and several other people I met in college) learned with that weird new method and they are to this day poor spellers.

but it wasn't until I started teaching and went through a course in Spalding phonics (The Writing Road to Reading) that I *understood* spelling. I am a visual learner and could *recognize* words. Now I know there are principles that govern spelling rules. Another book that could help: The ABCs and All Their Tricks.

My dad was a high-paid engineer at an international company who always had mom or me proof his writing. Everyone has gifts and weaknesses.

Dad's school followed the philosophy that children learn to spell through reading and writing, and he never did. His logical brain wasn't given the tools he needed to explain and predict how it worked.

I am well read but spelling is still difficult. I have a dictionary by the computer. I didn't post online forever because of spelling. I have seen threads on the old board, where comments were made on grammar/spelling. This board seems alot less formal. Oh and I didn't evern notice spell check. Thanks for pointing it out

Most of my spelling difficulties are words that "defy the rules".

Examples include:

Isaiah

Israel

piece

I always type them wrong first, and then am able to correct it once I see it. But I can't "see" it in my head.

I am not a good speller either. I love this new site because they have... drum roll... SPELL CHECK! :D

I would suggest (and it is what I am doing), read and type more (like these message boards). I am amazed at how much my spelling has improved over the years of posting to these boards. :)

Ok, how do you access the spell check? I have been checking words in Word when I need to.

Honey, open a new tab in your Internet brower (or open up your browser again in a new window). Then, in your new window, go to http://dictionary.reference.com/. Type in your word, in the manner you think it's spelled.

If you type in the word correctly, you'll know because it will appear with it's definition. If you have spelled the word incorrectly, you will be directed to possible words you meant. Click on a word to see the definition and assure yourself that it's the right way to spell it.

No need to get up from your computer! :001_smile:

I appreciate that. :001_smile:

Ok, how do you access the spell check? I have been checking words in Word when I need to.

Well, it's automatic. Type a reply to me and deliberately misspell something. It should show the word underlined in red. Then if you right click it, it should automatically give you choices that may or may not be what you meant to type.

For example I just misspelled "click" as "clicr." When I right clicked on the word, it suggested "click" as a spelling.

Well, it's automatic. Type a reply to me and deliberately misspell something. It should show the word underlined in red. Then if you right click it, it should automatically give you choices that may or may not be what you meant to type.

For example I just misspelled "click" as "clicr." When I right clicked on the word, it suggested "click" as a spelling.

tset.

I don't think that that works on my computer. I frequently have typos and I have never seen this before. That would mean that all of my typos are real words and that I never misspell anything. Simply not possible.

tset.

I don't think that that works on my computer. I frequently have typos and I have never seen this before. That would mean that all of my typos are real words and that I never misspell anything. Simply not possible.

Nope doesn't work here. No idea why not. I didn't use to get the orange boxes to alert me to new posts either and then one day I suddenly did. Strange. :confused:

tset.

So while you were typing it, it didn't underline it? Weird. Hmm.

Go to your Tools at the top of your browser, then click on Options. Go to Advanced, then General. Under Browsing, click "Check my spelling as I type."

Does that work?

So while you were typing it, it didn't underline it? Weird. Hmm.

Go to your Tools at the top of your browser, then click on Options. Go to Advanced, then General. Under Browsing, click "Check my spelling as I type."

Does that work?

Nope, I got as far as Browsing but I don't have a "Check my spelling as I type" option.

This thread is great. (For what it's worth, I have Firefox and no spellcheck on this site). Dh could not spell brown bag if it meant he could get out of said brown bag. One of my ds's is the same way. Both dh and ds spell things their own way and it actually makes sense to me, but it's wrong. Thank you to the person who linked the great article! Described dh and my son to a T! I can't wait for them to read it tomorrow.

I consistently got 100%'s in spelling in school, did well in spelling bee's etc. As I get older I have a harder time spelling things. I have also noticed as I get older that I'll use the wrong word (their, they're, there, to, too) and I have to go back and correct. That's old age for you!

Thats me too... only I'm not "old". I wonder what causes this?