Menu

ONE book for all 50 states??

CandaceC

I am looking for one book to read through this summer to do a small USA geography crash course. :) I have a few things like USA coloring books, etc.

I'd like to have one good book to read - maybe just 2-3 pages on EACH state total?!! With the basic stuff...

I found this on amazon...

Any other suggestions??

THANKS!

I know you from homeschool share LOL. I just joined this really cool group for geography they do all kinds of swaps and different stuff you might like.

mailto:homeschoolswapadventures@groups.facebook.com

You could also just get that book you have and make a notebook page each state. There is tons of coloring pages online too. I also bought confessions of a homeschooler road to USA cirriculum and we love it so far. Good luck and have fun

We used this book

http://www.amazon.com/Time-Kids-United-States-Other/dp/0060815574/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1302615745&sr=8-11

It has a 2 page spread for each state (and some of the US territories) that give you a synposis of the state information in paragraph form, lists entry into the US (I think the states are listed in entry order if I remember correctly), show the state flag, etc.

It was a great overview and very readable for the amount of information provided.

We also used this website http://www.50states.com/ which has information listed by state (and is free!).

I love the idea of a summer crash course. What a great way to cover something that you might not be able to fit in during the school year.

These aren't what you asked for, but I have them and enjoy them. They might be a fun supplement.

United Tweets of America

The Slightly Odd United States of America

I've always wanted to use this book.

Eat Your Way Through the USA

We use the National Geographic book you linked to and love it! I have dd do a notebook page for each state, which you can see at the ES Yahoo group under Other Homeschooling Helps. We are taking two years to get through them all, but a summer crash course seems like a great idea!

Wow!! Thanks so much, I have enough links to spend the day on. :) (I have sick kids and am bored today anyway, ha!!)

Thanks!!!

Oh, as for the summer course - we are starting American history in September with2 other families, so I wanted to cover some basic geography for the summer. Kind leading in to the history...we school year-round so we should have a full 3 months to do this! I am excited! :)

We are using THIS one. It's the one recommended by Trail Guide to US Geography, which is what we're using as a spine. We just do the mapping activities, learn state locations and capitals and read up on the state. I also bought THIS DVD series from History Channel when they had their sale - and it is AWESOME!! Each state has a 5-8 minute segment and they are really well done. Our favorite subject right now is geography. We also LOVE sheppardsoftware games online.