Menu

I think I already know the answer to this -- can U be a lifeguard if U have epilepsy?

Logic tells me NO -- but my DD was talking about wanting to be a lifeguard and I changed the subject. I didn't have it in me to tell her I didn't think it was possible at that moment.

She is still struggling with not getting her learner's permit/driver's license.

She had been doing well for a while, then that episode happened in Nov. when I thought we were going to lose her b/c she had 3 very bad seizures in a span of a few hours.

I would think that if the seizures were under control, and she was working in a situation where she was not the only lifeguard, that it *might* be allowed. It may depend on who is hiring and what their insurance will allow.

I'll have to look into it more.

Thanks!

Depends on how well controlled you can get it. If you can find the right dosage that keeps her seizure-free then maybe. Doesn't sound like that's the situation right now though. :(

We thought she was doing well until the incident in Nov.

Now it feels like we can never really let our guard down since something so intense hit completely out of the blue.

Thanks!

The usual advice is that a person with an uncontrolled seizure disorder (meaning they've had at least one seizure in the last year while on medication) should not swim alone. Because they are susceptible they can not be the sole responsible person at a pool.

If there are multiple positions working together you'd have to inquire about pool policy. Some places are more willing to be make accommodations than others. It might also be a matter of their insurance.

I'm sorry about your daughter. My son has an uncontrolled seizure disorder. I often worry about these kinds of things.

• Like 1

The usual advice is that a person with an uncontrolled seizure disorder (meaning they've had at least one seizure in the last year while on medication) should not swim alone. Because they are susceptible they can not be the sole responsible person at a pool.

If there are multiple positions working together you'd have to inquire about pool policy. Some places are more willing to be make accommodations than others. It might also be a matter of their insurance.

I'm sorry about your daughter. My son has an uncontrolled seizure disorder. I often worry about these kinds of things.

Do you mean worry about what he is going to do when he grows up? Or worry if he'll ever be able to drive? Or worry about losing him to epilepsy?

:crying: Because if you do, I know what you mean...

Well if it were my dh suggesting he become a lifeguard, I'd say H*** NO just like I did the time he suggested trying for his license. However, dh had an epileptic friend who drowned in a swimming pool in full view of lifeguards, so he will rarely even take a bath, just in case.

For what it's worth, despite that particular disability (and he's hard of hearing too) he's managed to partner up with a particularly good specimen of womanhood (:D) have two gorgeous children and is happily working in a job he likes, even though he can't swim or drive.

I hope your girl forgets this idea so you don't have to burst her bubble. :grouphug:

Rosie

We thought she was doing well until the incident in Nov.

Now it feels like we can never really let our guard down since something so intense hit completely out of the blue.

Thanks!

I think this probably answers your question. Seizures are unpredictable.

It would be a very high risk and even dangerous for any organization to employee her in position of that nature.

I would have a honest, heartfelt discussion with her about that. It's not personal, it's about safety - hers and others.

My dd has seizures too. My heart goes out to both of you!

I've had uncontrolled epilepsy since I was around 13, and it's rough. There are, sadly, a lot of jobs out there that epileptics just can't do.

I've never actually applied to be a lifeguard, but in my experience, I would guess there's no way they could hire an epileptic for legal reasons. I work in a group home, and just to do that, they had to put quite a few safeguards in place. I can't work alone, I can't drive the house van, I can't do anything dangerous. But, as others have said, there are still many great jobs out there. And epilepsy certainly doesn't keep you from having a family and a life. Continue to focus on what she can do, but I would gently but firmly say no to the lifeguard thing.

Continue to focus on what she can do

:iagree:

I'd take some time to explore what sorts of jobs require a drivers license so you can steer her away from them. A friend of mine did a social work degree, but never managed to get a job as one, because virtually all the jobs require a license. Now she's studying early childhood and doing casual work in that area. Dh used to do tech support, years ago, but last year when he was trying to get the same sort of work, he couldn't because most of those jobs now require a license. Now he's a software tester, and his lack of license is no problem because testers work from the same chair, every day of the week :)

These limitations jump up in places you don't expect, so it is good to be realistic. There are PLENTY of things epileptic people can do, but as Mergath said, there's plenty they can't too.

Rosie

I see the dangers, but I also like to be more of a 'yes' person, than a 'no' person.

I would likely say

"Yes, you can take the training". (why not) Let her be aware that due to the epilepsy, they may not be able to completely certify her....but absolutely, do the training.

I would also say, "You may not be able to be hired-for-pay lifeguard, due to legal reasons, but we may be able to find some opportunity for you to volunteer". If she is an 'extra' life guard on top of a regular paid staff, maybe you can find a pool who would allow her to lifeguard for them.

Special Olympics, or a program that helps disabled adults, may be a good organization to look into for volunteer opportunities.

Well if it were my dh suggesting he become a lifeguard, I'd say H*** NO just like I did the time he suggested trying for his license. However, dh had an epileptic friend who drowned in a swimming pool in full view of lifeguards, so he will rarely even take a bath, just in case.

For what it's worth, despite that particular disability (and he's hard of hearing too) he's managed to partner up with a particularly good specimen of womanhood (:D) have two gorgeous children and is happily working in a job he likes, even though he can't swim or drive.

I hope your girl forgets this idea so you don't have to burst her bubble. :grouphug:

Rosie

Good advice.

Sometimes the fears just grab ahold of me and it is hard to focus on what she will be able to do.

Thank you!

I think this probably answers your question. Seizures are unpredictable.

It would be a very high risk and even dangerous for any organization to employee her in position of that nature.

I would have a honest, heartfelt discussion with her about that. It's not personal, it's about safety - hers and others.

My dd has seizures too. My heart goes out to both of you!

Me too :crying:

:grouphug:

Thanks so much!

one of my sisters has seizures even a big one during labor that was horrible.

BUT she's a proud Army Nurse today.

So remind your daughter that some doors close but there are plenty of other opportunities if she just looks stays open minded.

Wow. I thought the military wouldn't take you if you have epilepsy.

Good for her!

I've had uncontrolled epilepsy since I was around 13, and it's rough. There are, sadly, a lot of jobs out there that epileptics just can't do.

I've never actually applied to be a lifeguard, but in my experience, I would guess there's no way they could hire an epileptic for legal reasons. I work in a group home, and just to do that, they had to put quite a few safeguards in place. I can't work alone, I can't drive the house van, I can't do anything dangerous. But, as others have said, there are still many great jobs out there. And epilepsy certainly doesn't keep you from having a family and a life. Continue to focus on what she can do, but I would gently but firmly say no to the lifeguard thing.

Thanks for sharing your story!

:iagree:

I'd take some time to explore what sorts of jobs require a drivers license so you can steer her away from them. A friend of mine did a social work degree, but never managed to get a job as one, because virtually all the jobs require a license. Now she's studying early childhood and doing casual work in that area. Dh used to do tech support, years ago, but last year when he was trying to get the same sort of work, he couldn't because most of those jobs now require a license. Now he's a software tester, and his lack of license is no problem because testers work from the same chair, every day of the week :)

These limitations jump up in places you don't expect, so it is good to be realistic. There are PLENTY of things epileptic people can do, but as Mergath said, there's plenty they can't too.

Rosie

I am picturing her in a biggish city with a good transportation system...:)

I see the dangers, but I also like to be more of a 'yes' person, than a 'no' person.

I would likely say

"Yes, you can take the training". (why not) Let her be aware that due to the epilepsy, they may not be able to completely certify her....but absolutely, do the training.

I would also say, "You may not be able to be hired-for-pay lifeguard, due to legal reasons, but we may be able to find some opportunity for you to volunteer". If she is an 'extra' life guard on top of a regular paid staff, maybe you can find a pool who would allow her to lifeguard for them.

Special Olympics, or a program that helps disabled adults, may be a good organization to look into for volunteer opportunities.

That's a good idea. Thanks.

Here's my idea to consider if your dd really likes the water.

If your dd is a good swimmer and knows all the competitive strokes I would suggest she get her WSI (water safety inst. cert) at 16. She may not be a good candidate to lifeguard, but I don't see why she couldn't teach swimming. Every place I've worked that taught Red Cross swimming required lifeguards on duty during swim lessons. So, your dd would not be alone while teaching. Programs that aren't actually Red Cross may not have the lifeguard requirement.

Even if a facility permitted her to work as a lifeguard, I'd be very concerned. Just thinking about a possible siezure while sitting in a chair elevated 10 feet about a concrete deck is disturbing. On the other hand when you teach you are in the water, you are unlikely to experience blunt force trauma if you have a seizure in the water and since the lessons are supervised other staff should be trained to handle it. (Side note, as a teen I worked at a camp for persons with severe disabilities, many of whom had seizures. I taught swimming and I learned how to handle a seizure in the water. I remember it being pretty easy.)

I would have no problem accepting a coworker who had seizures at the facility where I work now, but not the one I worked at a couple of years ago. You want to know about the facility--how well trained is everyone, do they have regular inservices reviewing safety/first aid/rescue skills. Before she pursues the WSI route you daughter may want to look at facilities and talk to managers. Look for facilities that have an older more mature year round staff. I don't see how her seizure disorder as you've described it would keep her from doing the essential aspects of her job under the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act). This could be a good chance for to understand how to live with it, look at the positive (what she can do, not bemoan what she can't), and importantly advocate for herself.

Finally, some people have said your dd should never swim alone. The truth is NO ONE should swim alone.

• Like 1

Here's my idea to consider if your dd really likes the water.

If your dd is a good swimmer and knows all the competitive strokes I would suggest she get her WSI (water safety inst. cert) at 16. She may not be a good candidate to lifeguard, but I don't see why she couldn't teach swimming. Every place I've worked that taught Red Cross swimming required lifeguards on duty during swim lessons. So, your dd would not be alone while teaching. Programs that aren't actually Red Cross may not have the lifeguard requirement.

Even if a facility permitted her to work as a lifeguard, I'd be very concerned. Just thinking about a possible siezure while sitting in a chair elevated 10 feet about a concrete deck is disturbing. On the other hand when you teach you are in the water, you are unlikely to experience blunt force trauma if you have a seizure in the water and since the lessons are supervised other staff should be trained to handle it. (Side note, as a teen I worked at a camp for persons with severe disabilities, many of whom had seizures. I taught swimming and I learned how to handle a seizure in the water. I remember it being pretty easy.)

I would have no problem accepting a coworker who had seizures at the facility where I work now, but not the one I worked at a couple of years ago. You want to know about the facility--how well trained is everyone, do they have regular inservices reviewing safety/first aid/rescue skills. Before she pursues the WSI route you daughter may want to look at facilities and talk to managers. Look for facilities that have an older more mature year round staff. I don't see how her seizure disorder as you've described it would keep her from doing the essential aspects of her job under the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act). This could be a good chance for to understand how to live with it, look at the positive (what she can do, not bemoan what she can't), and importantly advocate for herself.

Finally, some people have said your dd should never swim alone. The truth is NO ONE should swim alone.

This is awesome! I didn't realize there was a difference between the 2 certifications b/c where my kids learned to swim (town pool) the teachers taught lessons in the AM and were guards in the PM.

She does know all her strokes and she is old enough to get the WSI you mentioned.

As for swimming alone, I agree. I think I wrote it above. Maybe? I thought about it anyway.

Thanks!

This is awesome! I didn't realize there was a difference between the 2 certifications b/c where my kids learned to swim (town pool) the teachers taught lessons in the AM and were guards in the PM.

She does know all her strokes and she is old enough to get the WSI you mentioned.

As for swimming alone, I agree. I think I wrote it above. Maybe? I thought about it anyway.

Thanks!

Yes lifeguarding and swim instructing are two different certifications. There are facilities that don't require instructors to have a certification and just have lifeguards do it. For your dd I recommend getting the Red Cross instructor certification and applying to facilities that require it. Many lifeguard have both certifications and may do both in facilities that require it, but where I work there are people who only instruct (like me), lifeguards, people who do both and people who teach water aerobics (different cert). I would look at larger community center/park authority programs.

That what we thought would happen too. I'm not privy to why they thought her epilepsy wasn't a risk but they gave her a full physical and she's in.

They can waiver pretty much any medical condition in the military if your skill set is needed badly enough.

Do you mean worry about what he is going to do when he grows up? Or worry if he'll ever be able to drive? Or worry about losing him to epilepsy?

Because if you do, I know what you mean...

Yeah, all of the above...and then some, but my son's disorder if fairly severe.

It is nice to connect with someone else with the same worries...although I'm not pleased that your daughter has to go through this. I hope one of the other suggestions helps.

• 10 years later...
On 4/12/2011 at 3:54 PM, unsinkable said:

That's probably good advice for anyone. Thanks.

Agreed. My dad taught me growing up never to swim alone. And when he travelled and stayed at hotels -- he'd be alone but go to the pool. IF there were other people there he'd swim. If not, he would not get in. And if he was in the pool and the others there were leaving, he'd leave too.