Menu

Reading, reading, reading...

Marie463

I have a question about how you manage your dc's free reading and all of the library trips!

Background: ds5 has been reading well for a while now, but just in the last 3-4 months he has become a voracious reader ('tis a great problem to have!) To give you a frame of reference, he can read a Magic Schoolbus book in about an hour.

Anyhow, I feel like our library trips are a bit haphazard. I literally am just quickly grabbing books on a variety of topics...fiction, non-fiction, biographies, etc. from the children's section and then I just have those available for him at home to free read as he likes.

In the WTM, SWB suggests that during a library trip each kid should select one biography, one fiction, one science book, one poetry book, etc., etc. Anyone tried this?

The second part of my question is this: do you keep track of the titles that your child has read?

Thanks!

In the WTM, SWB suggests that during a library trip each kid should select one biography, one fiction, one science book, one poetry book, etc., etc. Anyone tried this?

The second part of my question is this: do you keep track of the titles that your child has read?

Thanks!

We do this. Each week I take my dd(6) to pick out a book from each category as well as 10-15 books she wants to read. She still likes picture books so some of them are picture books and some are chapter books. During the week I will read the books from the category list to her if she wants. Half the time she reads these herself. My son (14) goes every 3 weeks to get books in the suggested categories. I don't make him read each book in it's entirety but do require him to look through each and read portions of them. He then has to write down a few sentences about each book.

I don't keep track of the titles dd reads because they are so numerous. However, I do have several book lists I am following and mark off the book as we read them. So in a sense I have a record of some of the books dd is reading. Next year for my ds, I will record every book he reads to place in his high school transcript packet.

My dd5 has a general free reign. The only thing I ask is that for every 10 fiction books she gets, she gets 2 non-fiction books in whatever interests her. We usually end up with exactly 12 (that's my max because we walk to the library and books are heavy!) twice a week. She still prefers picture books, but will read a chapter book or graphic novel occasionally.

I currently don't keep track, but I probably will once she transitions into mainly or all chapter books. At the moment the dozens of short books are too much to keep up with.

My dc weren't allowed to check out what I felt were "fluff" books, but they could read them at the library, and there were certain kinds of books I didn't let them read until they wer older. Most years I haven't kept track, but I did keep track of the main books my dd's read for 2 or 3 years.

I did have a rule limiting the amount of time they could read every day to to prevent eye problems (and have learned that this is a good idea for young dc who will happily spend hours a day reading). I didn't have to make this rule for my ds, though, just my dd's.

I let the kids pick a science topic, I pick a history topic (unless they have a special request) and then I go online and reserve from our library. I also choose other reading at this time based on request (next book in a series) or from a list I made awhile back of 'good books' at their reading level. When we go to pick up these books I let them pick 2-4 books that interest them off the shelves.

I do keep a reading log but I don't keep track of all the books. I pick a few (6 or so) per month just to have an idea what was read when I look back.

I do allow 1 or 2 "twaddle" books per visit. I don't log them as "independent reading" for DD but I do for DS because he's still a new reader (just learned back last summer) provided that they are sufficiently long. Right now he's got a Choose Your Own Adventure book. At this point, I'm less focused on content with him than I am about getting him to practice reading.

I don't require certain types of books, nor do I record them all. (Just one more record to get lost in a giant pile!) We tend to pick up a couple books about whatever we're learning about. (Right now it's Easter. A couple weeks ago it was earthquakes.) We also tend to read through a series or author at a time, which makes selection easier. Right now we're reading all the Rebecca American girl books. i also require my daughter to get a mix of books she can read herself and ones for me to read to her. I do, however have very strict limit on the amount of 'junk books' she can check out. There's only so much Barbie or Scooby Doo that one brain needs!

Similar to another post above we normally go to library once a week or at least every other week and take home a bag full of books. I normally get either the suggested reading from the SOTW activity book or other books non-fiction books on the subject we're studying. I try to grab a biography (if there's not one that goes with history I just pick something that looks interesting...dd has really enjoyed some we've picked up on famous composers and artists). I also try to mix in classic books, fairy tales, poetry, etc. I let her read easy books while we are in the library (she can read pretty much anything but still loves the easy books) and then let her pick several fiction books on her own. She likes series (finished all Magic Tree House, Chronicles or Narnia, etc) and usually that's what she picks.

I have to force her to read the non-fiction but she generally enjoys it once she gets in to the book. I don't keep records except in the summer when they have reading clubs at the library because she likes getting the free prizes.

We tried the 1 book of each kind approach and it was sort of successful, though I've modified it to fit us a bit better. I try and remember the things my boys have told me they are interested in learning about and ask them to come with me to that area of the non fiction and pick out a few titles. Then I pick up some in a few other areas that might interest them or me. I try and have books of the following type: poetry, arts & crafts, history, biography, seasonal, science, math, and fiction. But I don't keep track of the titles or go thru a check list each time at the library.

most of the time I go to the library by myself. ;) I like to take my time picking my own books, I pick books for my dh (who likes to read but NEVER goes to the library) and I get a large selection for my boys as well. I have mostly reluctant readers who wouldn't pick any fiction from looking at just the book spines.

Nicole

2 boys, 8 and 10

We do a library visit about every other week, our library doesn't stock most of the WTM/SOTW selections. I buy a lot of books :blush:. For records I try and keep the library receipts, I just tape them into my diary - when I remember.

I'm just thinking I should work out a borrowing system for DD, she's become an absolute voracious reader, but still so young - so I still choose or at least oversee her choices.

I generally choose some non-fiction for her - if I can tie it in with our other study or an interest even better. I'll also choose a few easy reading books for her - like short chapter books (eg. less than 100 pages), for free reading time. Easy enough for her to enjoy the stories. She likes to choose these, but I have to check because there's a lot of rubbish in this section!

For bigger assigned reading novels, I try to buy them rather than borrow at the moment. Just so she can take her time and relax with them, and because I like buying books. Also to hold onto for the younger ones.

I have no reading requirements for my oldest and I make no effort to track what she reads. She has her own library card and checks out whatever she wants. Once a week we head back to the library for another big stack of books. I don't limit twaddle, but I do try to slip in a high-quality book or two if that's all she is choosing. She has begun to figure out what is good quality literature by reading widely. She has a strong preference for fiction (just as ds5 has a strong preference for non-fiction), but I figure that's okay. She reads plenty of non-fiction through homeschooling. Her free reading is just that . . . free.

I do most of my library shopping at home. I put books that I want to kids to read on hold. When we hit the library, there are all my must have books waiting for me. Once we're there, I let the older kids search for a "fun" book. Then we hit the science, history, art and biographies. I tend to guide them here - hey we're studying explorers, pick a bio about one. But I don't stop them if something strikes their fancy (right now they are hooked on any architecture or engineering books)

I don't keep track of 90 percent of the books. I generally just record novels that we are studying.

Great place to find books other than WTM- Sonlight catalog. They have fantastic suggestions. I have found some of our favorites there.

If you want a way to keep track and guide your child, have you looked into bookadventure.com? Free site that lists books by grade level. Kids take little quizzes after they read the book and earn points. My kids loved this.

most of the time I go to the library by myself. ;) I like to take my time picking my own books, I pick books for my dh (who likes to read but NEVER goes to the library) and I get a large selection for my boys as well. I have mostly reluctant readers who wouldn't pick any fiction from looking at just the book spines.

Nicole

2 boys, 8 and 10

Oh, I would love to go to the library by myself!!!!!!! Sigh.....

My dc have a variety of interests and, for the most part, I let them choose their books. If there is something I want them to read, I check it out for them (that's kind of our deal ;)).

DS1 is a beginning reader and has a limited scope, but I think that's ok right now. DD sometimes checks out all mysteries (Hardy Boys, A to Z, etc), but other times it's all biographies, or all Egypt, so I'm not concerned.

Interesting question and thread! Thanks!

ETA: One day, I'll get to check a book out for me, lol! ;)

I don't track what my boys read, but they read a lot of books. They can check out pretty much anything that they want (I can't think of anything they've wanted that I've turned down), but I check out books for them too. Some are non-fiction that I'll leave around and usually someone will read. Some are fiction that I think they might like. I also request a ton of books online, mostly inter-library loans. My dc are no longer surprised if they go to check-out and find books that they didn't request themselves.

we go to the library 1-3 times a week. usually we stay for about 2 hours when we go. dd has time to read one or two rainbow fairy/ puppy place/ tiara club books while we are there. i let the kids pick out some books on their own and i pick out some i know they will love. both of my kids are really drawn in by book covers so somtimes pass over stuff that would be great. i veto some books that i know will have disturbing, mature or vulgar content- or in the case of my 3yo, books he already owns. sometimes i will sit with them in a picture book aisle and let them pick all of the books they want on that aisle with no limits. this is really thrilling for them. i have explained to dd that we can't do this with the intermediate series paperbacks because there are less of them and lots of kids want to read them, but i do usually let her get about five of those. honestly they are so short that they make great car ride books and don't keep her from reading other things. if i had a kid who was only reading 20 minutes a day i would assign most reading.

no, i do not keep track of what dd is reading.

i love time without kids at the library. i think it might be the most compelling reason to let dd continue with american girl book club- i get an hour by myself with no kids to browse books.

Edited by mammaofbean

Does anyone use an online system like librarything, goodreads or shelfari for their children? I think shelfari.com looks like an easy way to keep track of the books we've read- you can sort them later by date added or you can enter the date it was read and view a reading timeline.

You can download your list to excel and print if you want a hardcopy.

I choose the selected history/science books at home through my libaray system. I request the books for 2 weeks at a time. We have a rockin' library! I can pick up books within 3 days of requesting them in most cases. This is also I how I get my books for personal reading.

Ds8 picks out his reptile/animal books (5-10 a visit) and picture type books that I read to him (5-10 a visit) and I pick out his reading books. He's on step 4 books and gets overwhelmed looking at all the titles so I usually pick 4-6 on varying topics. For example, last week he read Dangerous Beasts. This week it's Greek Mythology. He also has read Flat Stanley, etc.

Ds10 is my advanced kid. He's been reading since 2. I keep track only of the books he reads specifically for school, including his independent reading books which he writes reports for. I also keep track of series and authors he enjoys so I can get the next book for him for Christmas or his birthday.

I keep a spiral notebook with our syllabus and work completed, one side for each boy. Here is where I list all the books read for history, science, etc.

HTH

I've been letting my dcs (6yo) pick one fiction and one non-fiction. Though if they want more non-fiction, I allow it. I also pick out a variety of books to put in our library basket at home. I try to limit the fiction because otherwise one dc would probably end up with tons of Boxcar books and read nothing else. I'm trying to expand the variety of what they read and enjoy.

But I just reread WTM recently and saw that again about what books to pick, and I might try to start doing that with them.

I don't track what they read. I haven't been able to keep up with the volume for a couple years now. They love to read!

We also have a home library of well over 500 books for the kids (probably twice that if I counted). So we're not completely starving for books, though they love their library trips! We go once a week.

I mostly reserve library books from home. There are some wonderful books about books, like "The New York Times Parent's Guide to the Best Books for Children" and "The Read-Aloud Handbook" (our library has both of these). Then I just flip through looking for books I think would be well-received here at home. I enjoy it! I've also gotten many wonderful book recommendations from this board over the years.

I am completely anal. Maybe 1 night a week, I hop on our library's website and reserve a plethora of books. I keep an excel lists tracking my daughters' favorite fiction series (the last # book I ordered), where we are in our geography/history/science/biography nonfiction series, and then lists of miscellaneous school books (like those listed in WTM and related finds off of Amazon pages). I have to keep lists, otherwise I'd be ordering the same books over again. (I do the same for my own fiction series light reading.) Then a couple of times of week, I stop by the library and drop off bags (sometimes carts) of books and pick up the new ones. We actually have our own shelf at the library for our family's reserves!

I am completely anal. Maybe 1 night a week, I hop on our library's website and reserve a plethora of books. I keep an excel lists tracking my daughters' favorite fiction series (the last # book I ordered), where we are in our geography/history/science/biography nonfiction series, and then lists of miscellaneous school books (like those listed in WTM and related finds off of Amazon pages). I have to keep lists, otherwise I'd be ordering the same books over again. (I do the same for my own fiction series light reading.) Then a couple of times of week, I stop by the library and drop off bags (sometimes carts) of books and pick up the new ones. We actually have our own shelf at the library for our family's reserves!

I think you might be my twin ... :) I have lists in Excel that I work from to request the books that I use to fill up the bags that we take to the library at least weekly.

If you're concerned about what your child is reading as well as how much he is reading, I have started a blog reviewing secular books that you would find in the library. The review lists reading level and any concerns with the book so you can judge if this is a book you want your child reading. My heart is to help busy moms. My blog is at IntegrityBooksforBoys.

• 2 weeks later...

I only record during the summer - my library issues receipts and she highlights what she read on the receipt before we return them. Our library is computerized so I can make wish lists of books (I do print them out as well as it has crashed in the past). After they are returned, I use Goodreads and she enjoys rating the books. Before the library switched systems I was always having late book fines. Now I get reminder notices and can renew online so I have been fine free!:D

I don't like buying books - we already have so many! Instead I ask the librarian to post the book on the library wish list, they get it and prepare it for circulation and we get to be the first to read it (it gets a name plate as well). This insures we get to read a great book and that others can read it as well and the library, in a time of cutbacks, gets to continue to build its collection.