Menu

Poll: Will you be attending the RFWP Philadelphia Conference?

Will you be attending the RFWP Philadelphia mini-conference?  

1. 1. Will you be attending the RFWP Philadelphia mini-conference?

• Yes, I will be attending.
    • Undecided, I may be attending.

Well, we want you guys to get your money's worth, right?

BTW, so far as I know the registration fee is all going towards venue costs. We're coming because we like you (and we can bring books to sell, of course).

SWB

My heroes! (Seriously.)

I'll bring my wallet :)

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't want to hijack this thread but could use some feedback...I get to choose my own six sessions! Could I get some input on what you'd like to hear?

FYI, here are the session descriptions I currently use (not including keynotes). Could customize/branch out too if there's enough organized agreement.

WORKSHOPS

New for 2011!

Homeschooling the Real (Distractable, Impatient, Argumentative, Unenthusiastic, Non-Book-Loving, Inattentive, Poky, Vague) Child

The Well-Prepared Student (Middle School/Logic Stage): How to Get Ready for the High School Years

Other Workshops

The Well-Trained Mind: Academic Excellence through Classical Education,

Grades 5-8

Grades 9-12

A Plan for Teaching Writing: Focus on the Middle Grades

Teaching Students to Work Independently

What is Literary Analysis? When, Why, and How Should I Teach It?

OK, people, thoughts?

SWB

So many choices!!! I could only narrow it down to 7.

My DS is currently in 6th, so I'm interested in anything related to distractable boys, middle school, and high school. :D The ones in the quote are the ones that I am most interested in for *this* conference.

I would absolutely LOVE to attend (with my son) both of your all-day seminars, but I'm not bringing him with me to this conference. If you ever schedule one in Virginia, I'd make the drive to attend....just sayin' ;)

Hijacking the thread????? You're the engine driving it! :lol:

Ok here are my picks.....since you're making us choose....:001_smile: I can't even read aloud to my kids for more than an hour w/out going hoarse!

My three must see!

The Well-Prepared Student (Middle School/Logic Stage): How to Get Ready for the High School Years

Expanding on the principles presented in “A Plan for Teaching Writing,” this workshop offers very specific guidance in how to teach middle grade

A Plan for Teaching Writing: Focus on the High School Years

Expanding on the principles presented in “A Plan for Teaching Writing,” this seminar covers all of the types of writing that high school students should learn before entering the freshmen year of college: response papers,

Then:

Homeschooling the Real (Distractable, Impatient, Argumentative, Unenthusiastic, Non-Book-Loving, Inattentive, Poky, Vague) Child

I'd love to sit in on a Practicum!

I'd also enjoy either the ANcient or Medieval but it would take up such a large portion of your time.....I think I'd rather any of the others from a practical standpoint.

Edited by Capt_Uhura

I'm most interested in the following six topics (and thank you so very much for giving of your time!)

In this session, learn what and how to teach your child in grades 5-8--before that ninth-grade year begins. How can you be sure that you’re handling the transition from elementary learning to more complicated studies properly? What do you do when your child resists? What should you do in the seventh and eighth-grade years to make sure that your student is ready for high school? Includes suggested milestones for each year and subject, as well as practical suggestions for catching up and covering material that may have been missed.

Grades 5-8

A practical, specific workshop covering the how-tos of classical education

for grades 5-8. Introducing critical thinking and logic for middle-school

students; the chronological study of history as the center of the

curriculum; relating literature to history; developing skills in outlining

and in critical essay writing; foreign language study; moving into more

abstract mathematics; experiment-based science for home schoolers. Includes

recommendations of curricula and books.

Grades 9-12

A practical, specific workshop covering the how-tos of classical education

for grades 9- 12. Using the Great Books as a combined history and

literature course; how to teach the classics at home (for intimidated

parents!); the study of rhetoric (written and spoken expression); advanced

writing and mathematics for home schoolers; how to do high school science at

home; foreign language study. Also covers use of tutors, online tutorials,

and other resources; preparing the high school transcript; preparing for

college admissions; and completing junior and senior "honors projects."

Includes recommendations of curricula and books.

Expanding on the principles presented in “A Plan for Teaching Writing,†this workshop offers very specific guidance in how to teach middle grade (logic-stage) students the skills of constructing an argument, outlining and writing from an outline. Includes training in outlining, writing from an outline, basic Socratic dialogue, and evaluation and grading. Essential for those teaching all 5-8 students; since written argumentation is the basis of high school writing, this seminar is also highly recommended for those teaching high school students. Students in grades 5-12 are encouraged to attend.

Expanding on the principles presented in “A Plan for Teaching Writing,†this seminar covers all of the types of writing that high school students should learn before entering the freshmen year of college: response papers, summaries, and critical essays across the curriculum Attendance at “Focus on the Middle Grades†seminar is highly recommended. Students in grades 8-12 are encouraged to attend.

You know that your children should read—but what else should you be doing to teach them skills in literature? After teaching literature at the college levelfor over a decade, Susan has seen the results of many different methods. This seminar will guide you towards the most effective way to teach literature. Offers a foundational explanation of what literary analysis is, a list of skills that need to be covered, guidance in how to teach them, and resource recommendations.

Seriously.....I got so excited when I read SWB's post, my heart rate increased and I could barely think straight!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!

And a HUGE, super HUMONGOUS THANK YOU to Dr. K of RFWP for getting this together in such short notice b/c WE AT WTM ASKED FOR IT! Begged for it! :lol:

Seriously.....I got so excited when I read SWB's post, my heart rate increased and I could barely think straight!

And a HUGE, super HUMONGOUS THANK YOU to Dr. K of RFWP for getting this together in such short notice b/c WE AT WTM ASKED FOR IT! Begged for it! :lol:

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

Wow! My vote would be for:

A Plan for Teaching Writing: Focus on the Elementary Grades

How To Read a Book (With Apologies to Adler)

I am assuming that the overviews of classical homeschooling for different ages would be less useful to this crowd, because most people will already have read TWTM and will be familiar with the basic theory.

Does anyone know if there are plans to record the sessions to purchase? I have a friend (the one who originally turned me on to TWTM 6 years ago!) who desperately wants to come but can't get out of a family vacation for it. She's heartbroken--SWB and RFWP make up her dream conference.

I started to cry a little :blush: I'm so insanely excited for all of this!

I am assuming that the overviews of classical homeschooling for different ages would be less useful to this crowd, because most people will already have read TWTM and will be familiar with the basic theory.

That was my thoughts as well.

Edited by Capt_Uhura

Yes, my heart's all a pitter-patter just looking at this smorgasbord! Here are my votes (oaky, so I picked 8 - so hard to choose!! A bunch kind of overlap - I wont' be picky about which one :))

The Practicums almost make me wish I was bringing my kids!

I'll agree with the others that for this crowd nitty-gritty is better than an overview of Classical Ed. :)

High academic achievement (and particular the book-centered kind of achievement recommended by classical educators) often seems designed for one kind of student: the mature, self-directed, disciplined child who loves to read. In this workshop, learn how to deal with the other 90% of students. Includes practical strategies for dealing with roadblocks in the way of academic achievement, as well as time-tested advice for teaching to your child’s strengths while still addressing weaknesses. Susan Wise Bauer, classical educator, college instructor, and author, was home schooled herself and has homeschooled her own four real children, now aged 10-19 (the oldest is now at university).

In this session, learn what and how to teach your child in grades 5-8--before that ninth-grade year begins. How can you be sure that you’re handling the transition from elementary learning to more complicated studies properly? What do you do when your child resists? What should you do in the seventh and eighth-grade years to make sure that your student is ready for high school? Includes suggested milestones for each year and subject, as well as practical suggestions for catching up and covering material that may have been missed.

Expanding on the principles presented in “A Plan for Teaching Writing,†this workshop offers very specific guidance in how to teach middle grade (logic-stage) students the skills of constructing an argument, outlining and writing from an outline. Includes training in outlining, writing from an outline, basic Socratic dialogue, and evaluation and grading. Essential for those teaching all 5-8 students; since written argumentation is the basis of high school writing, this seminar is also highly recommended for those teaching high school students. Students in grades 5-12 are encouraged to attend.

Expanding on the principles presented in “A Plan for Teaching Writing,†this seminar covers all of the types of writing that high school students should learn before entering the freshmen year of college: response papers, summaries, and critical essays across the curriculum Attendance at “Focus on the Middle Grades†seminar is highly recommended. Students in grades 8-12 are encouraged to attend.

The Well-Prepared Student (High School): How to Get Ready for College

In this session, learn what and how to teach your child in grades 9-12--before they fill out those applications and head off for the freshman year. What expections should you have for high school? How can you teach those subjects that stump you? How should you personalize the high school curriculum for your student, while still making sure that the basics are covered? What skills will your student need to develop in order to thrive in college? As a college instructor, Susan Wise Bauer has taught scores of college freshmen and knows what they should have learned before the freshman year; as a home educating parent, she has graduated one high school student (now at UVA) and is in the thicket of high school with two more.

Note: Susan’s “Preparing for College†workshop covers the technical aspects of record-keeping, testing, and college applications; this workshop focuses on academics and skills.

A plan for helping middle and high school (logic and rhetoric-stage) students move towards independent learning. Offers step-by-step guidance for parents and students as well as troubleshooting. Students in grades 7-12 are encouraged to attend.

You know that your children should read—but what else should you be doing to teach them skills in literature? After teaching literature at the college levelfor over a decade, Susan has seen the results of many different methods. This seminar will guide you towards the most effective way to teach literature. Offers a foundational explanation of what literary analysis is, a list of skills that need to be covered, guidance in how to teach them, and resource recommendations.

Preparing for College Admissions

Start thinking about college in seventh grade! But even if your child is

older, all is not lost. This workshop surveys both proper academic

preparation for college (necessary background in liberal arts and sciences, SAT preparation and testing, etc.) and the technicalities of keeping high school records that will impress college admissions officers. We will discuss portfolios, writing samples, transcripts, diplomas, and extra-curricular activities as well as choosing a school, filling out an application, and writing

admissions essays.

Anybody know how to find airfare from DFW for less than $300? :confused:

:auto: <---This would take too long, & my van only does 2nd gear. :willy_nillly:

The best I could find is a white-label airfare via Hotwire for $309, flying in on Thursday, out on Sunday. Do you have credit card miles? You might try calling a travel agent--sometimes they can find something you don't have access to.

BTW, so far as I know the registration fee is all going towards venue costs. We're coming because we like you (and we can bring books to sell, of course).

SWB

I ADORE YOU!!!!!!! I wasn't sure I was coming until I saw this post. I am concentrating on the elementary school years, and ABSOLUTELY the "real child" lecture. (I have one of those)

Don't want to hijack this thread but could use some feedback...I get to choose my own six sessions! Could I get some input on what you'd like to hear?

FYI, here are the session descriptions I currently use (not including keynotes). Could customize/branch out too if there's enough organized agreement.

We have to narrow it down to 6? Oh my. :001_huh: ;)

1) DEFINITELY the real child one!!!!

2) Constructing an arguement (or anything that can help translate formal logic study into actual, logical thinking. We're having issues with that at the moment. :glare:

3)College admissions and/or well-prepared student

4) Well-trained Mind for high-schoolers

5)Literary Analysis

6)Writing for middle grades

Selfishly I would choose

A Walk Through Medieval History, but since many may not, I am planning to buy the Medieval book (assuming you bring it!) for beach reading this summer. Last summer your Ancient went to the beach and pool with me almost every day.

For broader appeal, I would vote for these:

since I live with one of those

Grades 9-12

And I have concluded, after selecting these, that the real issue is that high school scares the pants off of me!! I know we are doing a decent job with their education so far, but the thought of continuing it through high school makes me run for the kahlua! My math degreed self is intimidated by all of the liberal arts required, if it was all algebra, trig and physics I would be fine! Since my oldest is entering 8th it is time for me to get over it.

Thank you so much for agreeing to do this, it takes the sting out of the NE conference cancellation. I am so glad you are bringing PHP books, my list is lengthy.

:auto:Looking forward to the road trip.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

Seven is the best I could do:

Grades K-4

Grades 5-8

A Hands-On Seminar: Constructing an Argument

These look yummy:

A Walk Through Ancient History

A Walk Through Medieval History

My choices in order (yes there's more than 6, I'm just ordering the ones I'm interested in.

They tend to focus on high school. Guess where I'm at with my kids ;-)

1. Homeschooling the Real (Distractable, Impatient, Argumentative, Unenthusiastic, Non-Book-Loving, Inattentive, Poky, Vague) Child
  2. The Well-Prepared Student (High School): How to Get Ready for College
    [
  3. The Well-Trained Mind: Academic Excellence through Classical Education, Grades 9-12
    *]The Well-Prepared Student (Middle School/Logic Stage): How to Get Ready for the High School Years
  4. A Plan for Teaching Writing: Focus on the High School Years
  5. The Well-Trained Mind: Academic Excellence through Classical Education, Grades 5-8
  6. What is Literary Analysis? When, Why, and How Should I Teach It?
  7. Preparing for College Admissions
  8. A Hands-On Seminar: Basic Literary Criticism
  9. A Hands-On Seminar: Constructing an Argument
  10. How To Read a Book (With Apologies to Adler)

Anyone know if we're having the used curriculum sale?? My new stuff is coming in and old stuff is spilling off on to the floor. Eek!

I love the idea, but I think it would be a lot to manage, and I have a feeling no one wants to volunteer to miss parts of the conference. Maybe we could bring stuff to sell on our own time, informally? For example, if we're going to get together to hang out and look at one another's materials, maybe we could also bring along stuff we want to sell too... (Or was that the plan all along? I was envisioning some kind of formal setup or wo-manned table.)

OK, so I am planning on really going. I'll be bringing my baby girl and I know you'll all just love me (and her!) for reminding you of kids.... She has so far been a most sweet and joyful girl and I hope that'll last till end of June at least so I can actually listen and think...

I would love for all 6 to be related to High School. :D

I'm seeing 2 for each level. In that case my High School Choices would not be the get ready for college but the actual doing of the work, writing, classical education, and literary analysis. I will be bringing my ds a freshman and dd a junior with me. (And dh it will be our anniversary. ;) )

Thank you :hurray: for doing this for us !!!

OK, so I am planning on really going. I'll be bringing my baby girl and I know you'll all just love me (and her!) for reminding you of kids.... She has so far been a most sweet and joyful girl and I hope that'll last till end of June at least so I can actually listen and think...

I'm so glad you're coming! I'm bringing my dd 17 if that adorable baby needs a walk! :D

SWB

You rock. Seriously. Thank you!:grouphug:

I'd love to sit in on a Practicum!

I'd also enjoy either the ANcient or Medieval but it would take up such a large portion of your time.....I think I'd rather any of the others from a practical standpoint.

:iagree: I'd love to hear the lectures, but I already own the books.:glare:

:iagree:

I'll agree with the others that for this crowd nitty-gritty is better than an overview of Classical Ed. :)

:iagree:

Here are my votes:

1. Homeschooling the Real (Distractable, Impatient, Argumentative, Unenthusiastic, Non-Book-Loving, Inattentive, Poky, Vague) Child

2. The Well-Prepared Student (Middle School/Logic Stage): How to Get Ready for the High School Years

3. A Plan for Teaching Writing: Focus on the Middle Grades

4. What is Literary Analysis? When, Why, and How Should I Teach It?

5. A Hands-On Seminar: Constructing an Argument

Can I make a suggestion/request (feel free to ignore it!;)), I don't know if anyone else would be interested but I'd love a class on how to manage doing it all. How do I effectively teach my Ker, my "Real" child in 3rd, my hormonal 6th grader and still get the 8th ready for high school, all this while still finding time for self-education and time for dh, too. (This doesn't even count finding time to run, clean the house, read an escape novel every once in awhile, a girls' night out, a hs conference, etc. etc.:D).

A Hands-On Seminar: Basic Literary Criticism

A Hands-On Seminar: Constructing an Argument

These are my favourite picks.

And thanks goes to YOU for championing this!!!! (although I still don't know if we are coming...but SIX SESSIONS?!?!?!?! I was picturing three, because somewhere it was mentioned that SWB would take one day, and MCT would take another day. Six sessions....six sessions....new ones, too.....and now registration is open and limited - I need to decide quickly!!!)

THANK YOU for coming to this! I am one of the (apparently few??) homeschool parents of very young elementary boys (ages almost-6 and 2) so I'm still very new to this, so the stuff geared toward HSing younger children would be more fitting for me -- but I will still attend/take notes in the sessions dealing with older children. So I would still benefit from those, whereas someone with older children wouldn't benefit so much from the elementary stuff. But I wanted to throw my $0.02 out there in case there are other elementary-level homeschoolers coming. If elementary is totally ignored it will be a little disappointing to me ... but if most need the info for the older kids then I can deal.

Here are the ones that sound like they'd be most beneficial to me personally right now:

WORKSHOPS

New for 2011!

Other Workshops

Grades K-4

<yes, I've read WTM, but I think I would still benefit from this workshop>

Edited by ErinMarie123
fix typo

New question!

If the conference is Fri. and Sat., I can see coming down Thurs, and I see the options for staying Thurs. and Fri. night. But what about Sat. night? I'm assuming we'll be listening to wonderful speakers till Sat. afternoon sometime - I'm not sure I want to start on a 7 or 8 hour drive home after the conference closes on Sat. afternoon.

Will we have to book a separate hotel room somewhere else for Sat for those of us with long drives home?

New question!

If the conference is Fri. and Sat., I can see coming down Thurs, and I see the options for staying Thurs. and Fri. night. But what about Sat. night? I'm assuming we'll be listening to wonderful speakers till Sat. afternoon sometime - I'm not sure I want to start on a 7 or 8 hour drive home after the conference closes on Sat. afternoon.

Will we have to book a separate hotel room somewhere else for Sat for those of us with long drives home?

:bigear:

New question!

I will ask Dr. K. if there is the option for folks to stay over Saturday night. He is anticipating finishing no later than 5pm on Saturday which is of course, late for you start a 7-8hr drive.

Any SWB seminars/talks would be outstanding, but I am especially interested in the following:

Thank you again for all that you do for us, and for our kids.

I will ask Dr. K. if there is the option for folks to stay over Saturday night.

Do you think it would be feasible to reserve the room even earlier?

I'm driving down on Sunday to drop my DD to a week camp. I'll be staying around till the conference, thumbling my thumbs. I'd like to stay at the dorm, it's so cheap!

Edited by CleoQc
typo

On a practical note, I had been planning to take the train from RI to the original conference. The train can be lovely--and no xrays or driving hassles, just me, a few books and a sandwhich! This college is 25 miles away from Philly, and I'm sure a very expensive taxi ride. Does anyone know if there is reasonable public transport from Philly or Trenton to the campus. I'll call the college in the AM to ask but I thought someone must know.

On a practical note, I had been planning to take the train from RI to the original conference. The train can be lovely--and no xrays or driving hassles, just me, a few books and a sandwhich! This college is 25 miles away from Philly, and I'm sure a very expensive taxi ride. Does anyone know if there is reasonable public transport from Philly or Trenton to the campus. I'll call the college in the AM to ask but I thought someone must know.

I'm just south (I think?) of Trenton. I'm going up to the college Thursday night. If you know what time you come in, you can catch a ride up with me.

I'm just south (I think?) of Trenton. I'm going up to the college Thursday night. If you know what time you come in, you can catch a ride up with me.

That is really, extremely generous. I love the spirit of this conference already! I think I'll take you up on this. As we get closer to the date, we can make plans. There are several afternoon/evening trains so I have some flexibility to choose. You can tell me what time you plan on heading out and I'll adjust from there.

That is really, extremely generous. I love the spirit of this conference already! I think I'll take you up on this. As we get closer to the date, we can make plans. There are several afternoon/evening trains so I have some flexibility to choose. You can tell me what time you plan on heading out and I'll adjust from there.

Ok! It will most likely be around after dinner time. When are you getting your tickets?

WORKSHOPS

New for 2011!

Other Workshops

An overall plan for producing good writers at home. This workshop explains

how to guide your student through a simple progression (copying, dictation, narration,

summarizing, outlining, short critical essays, long critical essays,

research paper) that will develop both writing and thinking skills in a

systematic, stepwise manner. Special focus on the groundwork needed in grades K-4 and on remedial work in grades 5-6. Includes suggestions on how to use these

writing and thinking skills in every area of the curriculum. Recommended for those teaching all K-6 students, as well as for those teaching older students who are reluctant writers.

A plan for helping middle and high school (logic and rhetoric-stage) students move towards independent learning. Offers step-by-step guidance for parents and students as well as troubleshooting. Students in grades 7-12 are encouraged to attend.

Offers specific training in the three levels of reading, explaining how they are applied in different genres and how they lead to the development of skills in literary criticism. For high school students and self-educators. [Overlaps with “What Is Literary Analysisâ€; please choose only one]

SWB

OK, I had 7, but... I couldn't choose between the last two. Sorry. ;)

Now, I'm chomping at the bit!! I can't register until Friday... I will be :crying::crying::crying: if it fills up before then!!

THANK YOU for coming to this! I am one of the (apparently few??) homeschool parents of very young elementary boys (ages almost-6 and 2) so I'm still very new to this, so the stuff geared toward HSing younger children would be more fitting for me -- but I will still attend/take notes in the sessions dealing with older children. So I would still benefit from those, whereas someone with older children wouldn't benefit so much from the elementary stuff. But I wanted to throw my $0.02 out there in case there are other elementary-level homeschoolers coming. If elementary is totally ignored it will be a little disappointing to me ... but if most need the info for the older kids then I can deal.

Here are the ones that sound like they'd be most beneficial to me personally right now:

Originally Posted by Susan Wise Bauer viewpost.gif

WORKSHOPS

New for 2011!

Other Workshops

Grades K-4

<yes, I've read WTM, but I think I would still benefit from this workshop>

:iagree: I also have a young elementary student and would be interested in these as well.

THANK YOU for coming to this! I am one of the (apparently few??) homeschool parents of very young elementary boys (ages almost-6 and 2) so I'm still very new to this, so the stuff geared toward HSing younger children would be more fitting for me -- but I will still attend/take notes in the sessions dealing with older children. So I would still benefit from those, whereas someone with older children wouldn't benefit so much from the elementary stuff. But I wanted to throw my $0.02 out there in case there are other elementary-level homeschoolers coming. If elementary is totally ignored it will be a little disappointing to me ... but if most need the info for the older kids then I can deal:

ErinMarie, I have a 6-year-old and a 2-year-old too! You are not the only one who is interested in material for younger children.

I just registered because I just absolutely have to be at this conference! I will be staying in the dorm because we are Sabbath observant Jews so I can't drive between Friday night and Saturday night. I registered now, without talking to DH, because I was afraid it would fill up before I got a chance to register... SO right now, DH, who is upstairs sleeping innocently, has no idea that he will be alone with the kids (except for the nursing baby, who will be with me) for all of Shabbat that week. Hope I am not in big trouble, LOL.

I'm certain you'll find info about getting to KofP Mall. Here's their link, put in your address and you'll get info how to get to the Mall from your home.

http://www.kingofprussiamall.com/trip/questions.php?start=questions

There is something that comes out of 30th street station. A train that goes to the Main line maybe the cabbing it from there? Here's some info http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,1500253

Here's another idea - The Septa 124 or 125 bus to KofP Mall then cabbing it?

This would be the reverse for you: The closest station to KOP is the Ardmore Station, but it's easier to get the 124 or 125 SEPTA bus at the mall. (near J.C. Penneys). That will take you directly to 30th Street station (about 35-40 minutes), or to 13th and Market which is very close to Greyhound at 11th and Filbert Streets.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/pennsylvania/122881-philly-penn-station-king-prussia-ardmore.html#ixzz1JNHb9UV9

Septa says: take the 124 bus out of 30th street station, get off at KofP Mall (the Plaza) and grab the 139 bus. Wondering if the college could help you with details about the 139 bus. My gut would say grab a cab from KofP Mall though, honestly.

http://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&f=d&saddr=30th%20street%20station&daddr=phoenixvillle,%20pa&date=4/13/11&time=12:37%20AM&dirflg=r

Edited by cjbeach

ErinMarie, I have a 6-year-old and a 2-year-old too! You are not the only one who is interested in material for younger children.

Nope! While my biggest concerns are with my almost-teen, I still have kids turning 9, 8, and 4, with a baby coming up behind them. My first choices are aimed toward high school, but I will definitely be attending any and all of the younger grade stuff!

SO right now, DH, who is upstairs sleeping innocently, has no idea that he will be alone with the kids

:lol::lol: THAT struck me as hilarious!

I am SO torn with trying to decide!! Gas is sooooo expensive right now, and when we go on a long-haul trip down the east coast, we have to coordinate carefully - staying with friends and family along the way because we can't afford to stay in hotels. We also bring food with us, due to expense and allergies. On the other hand, I put out local announcements the other day about me starting up a WTM/classical home educators support group in my area, and have had four responses already - wonder if I should check with these strangers (I have only met one of them, briefly!) to see if they want to rent an economy car and go on a road trip and we share costs! Hope those dorms and registrations aren't filling up too quickly yet, as I waffle along...