Menu

Please Help Me Choose a Bag

For our upcoming trip to Europe, I need a bag that's anti-theft for the Metro in Paris and the Tube in London.

I like this one, although it is quite pricey, I figure that I can use it for after the trip also. Not just for travel.

My problem is that I love the Citron color. My favorite.

resize?w=145&h=160&uid=797102086

My 2nd choice would be Tan, but I really, really prefer the Citron. One reviewer wrote that the Citron ran onto her clothes in the heat. Since we'll be there in the summer, as well as in very hot Israel ... I'm disappointed. I want a really nice bag at that price, and now I guess I need to settle for the tan?

WWYD?

My favorite bag here in the tropics is a Citron one and that one never runs. Have had no problems with it.

Thank you. :)

When we went to Italy, I used a cheap belted wallet that went under my clothes at the waist---something along the lines of this.

I was glad too because one of the women who was part of our tour had her pocket picked going into a church (A CHURCH!) in Florence. Go for under the shirt for sure. Keep all your valuables in that and then just carry whatever bag you want for everything else.

Here's another one.

Edited by fairytalemama
Added another bag link

Have you considered the microfiber version? It is in tan, too. Might be a bit lighter weight and less likely to bleed color than leather.

Also, there is another microfiber bag on that website that has a great security feature--the cord inside the strap that can't be cut. Cutting bag straps is a popular way in crowds to snag a tourist's bag.

One warning--don't get a backpack. I've watched pickpockets work those. They are great for diapers, travel books, travel umbrella and other stuff they wouldn't want. Not for passports, wallets, phones, cameras, etc.

Having a money belt or pouch isn't a bad idea (or maybe one each for the adults). Put the cash (credit cards if they fit) in it that you don't need for that day and leave it alone until you return to the hotel. Go for a comfortable fabric on this-you don't want to chafe.

Having a bag that holds a 1/2 litre bottle of water isn't a bad idea. I hated throwing mine away every time I went into a building. Just stuck it in my bag. Yes, some museums check and then I'd throw it away. And no-I don't pull it out in a museum either. It just waits 'til we hit the street.

Another tip-have a coin purse that is easily accessible-bathrooms can often cost money and I prefer not to pull out the whole wallet for that.

Of course you may know all this already. Just my 2 cents on the issue.

For our upcoming trip to Europe, I need a bag that's anti-theft for the Metro in Paris and the Tube in London.

I like this one, although it is quite pricey, I figure that I can use it for after the trip also. Not just for travel.

My problem is that I love the Citron color. My favorite.

resize?w=145&h=160&uid=797102086

My 2nd choice would be Tan, but I really, really prefer the Citron. One reviewer wrote that the Citron ran onto her clothes in the heat. Since we'll be there in the summer, as well as in very hot Israel ... I'm disappointed. I want a really nice bag at that price, and now I guess I need to settle for the tan?

WWYD?

My favorite bag here in the tropics is a Citron one and that one never runs. Have had no problems with it.

Thank you. :)

Easy. Get the bag you want in Citron, then get a Citron wardrobe to go with it. If the color rubs off, no one knows it!

If you have your heart set on the citron.....get it. But then, once you get it home, use saddle soap and a shoe brush to wash it. Once you get the color to stop fading, apply a clear coat of shoe polish to it. You can get all of these at any grocery or Walmart store for under $10. To apply the shoe polish thinly, use a lighter and light the tin on fire. Just until the top melts a bit (10-20 seconds or so). Then you can use this thin polish on the bag. Relight as you need to to cover the bag. Once you have a clear coat on the bag, rub lightly with a clean cotton cloth. The more you rub, the more shine you will see.

This is the same way to clean any leather shoe or handbag. If you have black or brown shoes, use appropriately colored polish instead of clear.

If you have your heart set on the citron.....get it. But then, once you get it home, use saddle soap and a shoe brush to wash it. Once you get the color to stop fading, apply a clear coat of shoe polish to it. You can get all of these at any grocery or Walmart store for under $10. To apply the shoe polish thinly, use a lighter and light the tin on fire. Just until the top melts a bit (10-20 seconds or so). Then you can use this thin polish on the bag. Relight as you need to to cover the bag. Once you have a clear coat on the bag, rub lightly with a clean cotton cloth. The more you rub, the more shine you will see.

This is the same way to clean any leather shoe or handbag. If you have black or brown shoes, use appropriately colored polish instead of clear.

Thank you for this outstanding advice and tip!!!

Thank you all so much. :grouphug:

If the color from one ran in the heat, wouldn't the color for another?

Good point. ;)

When we went to Italy, I used a cheap belted wallet that went under my clothes at the waist

Go for under the shirt for sure. Keep all your valuables in that and then just carry whatever bag you want for everything else.

Thanks for the links.

Now, this is going to sound a bit odd. I'm rather image-conscious. Will a belted wallet make me look bulky and fat at the waist? And what if I'm wearing a skirt or dress, which is probably unlikely, since I imagine that most of our times on the metro or Tube - I'll be wearing pants - nonetheless. Would a belt look silly?

If not, I love the practical aspect of a belt. I'm just not sure how it would look or feel on me.

I know that a belt may be very good for my dh. He carries his wallet in his front pocket, but a belt should be much more secure.

Have you considered the microfiber version?

Also, there is another microfiber bag on that website that has a great security feature--the cord inside the strap that can't be cut.

Thank you for all the great tips. :D

I'll go back and look at the microfiber and the other one you mentioned. Hadn't thought about cutting straps. Wow ...

ETA: The microfiber is out of stock.

Easy. Get the bag you want in Citron, then get a Citron wardrobe to go with it. If the color rubs off, no one knows it!

:lol:

Now that you mention it, I do have a few items in Citron :D!

If you have your heart set on the citron.....get it. But then, once you get it home, use saddle soap and a shoe brush to wash it.

Great tips, thank you! :)

I wonder if they have all that stuff here. I'd rather do all that before our trip. Copying and pasting your tips.

Edited by Negin in Grenada

I just got this one (also comes in a bright green in the sale section) The inside section zips for security - I don't put anything valuable in the outer flap pocket. What I really like about it is the outside water bottle pockets, just under the straps and that it's big enough for snacks, etc.

http://www.overlandequipment.com/product/shoulder/594-36-36-13

MONEY BELT

Should I just stick with a money belt and not bother about buying a new bag?

I’m embarrassed to say this, but I’m a bit of a snob when it comes to myself. I never judge how others dress or look. I’m more critical with myself.

Will a belted wallet make me look bulky and fat at the waist? And what if I'm wearing a skirt or dress, which is probably unlikely, since I imagine that most of our times on the metro or Tube - I'll be wearing pants - nonetheless. Would a belt look silly?

If not, I love the practical aspect of a belt. I'm just not sure how it would look or feel on me.

ENDLESS BAG CHOICES!!!

Shopping online has become a task! I tend to over-complicate things.

Tap, tap, tap gave me some very helpful tips on how to prevent the color bleeding for the bag that I had originally linked.

Someone on another board wisely reminded me that any bag that can I strap across and can wear in front of me will be anti-theft. I should have remembered that, having lived in NY. So now, I would love your feedback on cross body bags.

Now, here’s my dilemma. I’m 5’ 2” and cross body bags tend to hang low on the body. Very long straps (ones that are not adjustable especially) tend to look awkward on short people.

My ideal bag would be:

• Suitable for my short height

• Nice color – I’m big on color and love stand-out colors. I used to just stick with brown and cream bags. I’ve become more adventurous.

• Good size – at least fit in my wallet, maybe a camera or small camcorder, etc. In other words, some space would be nice

• Good reviews if possible

My absolute favorite bag at the moment (and probably my favorite bag ever) (not that I have a lot of bags),is one from QVC. Love it, love it, love it. So I went to QVC once again and came up with several options. Would really appreciate your thoughts/feedback/opinions. Any of these? Or a Vera Bradley one listed further down this post?

STONE MOUNTAIN LEATHER HOBO WITH REMOVABLE CARDCASE

10"W x 9"H x 5"D with an adjustable strap drop 13" to 22"

3 Fabulous Colors

4.7 out of 5 rating

93% would recommend to friend

StoneMountainHobo.jpg

The colors offered are more exciting than the one linked above

----

TIGNANELLO PEBBLE LEATHER ZIP TOP CROSSBODY BAGWITH KEY FOB

10"W x 10"H x 1"D with a 22" to 24" strap drop

I like the pear green.

4.5 out of 5 rating

85% would recommend to friend

Yet, one reviewer wrote “I'm 5'3" and with the strap as short as it will go, it still hangs down way past my back side or else it keeps hitting me wrong in front.”

-!Tignanello%20Pebble%20Leather%20Crossbody%20Organizer%20Bag%20Key%20Fob%20Handbag--260793091.jpg

----

B. MAKOWSKY PEBBLE LEATHER CROSSBODY BAG W/ ZIPPER POCKETS

12"H x 12"W x 2-1/2"D with a 11" to 23-1/2" strap drop

Lots of colors

3.9 out of 5 rating

73% would recommend to friend – quite a lot of negative reviews

a201691.001?wid=225&op_sharpen=1

----

B. MAKOWSKY GLOVE LEATHER ZIP TOP CROSSBODY BAGW/ZIPPER POCKET

10"W x 10"H x 1-1/2"D with a 21" to 23" strap drop

2 Okay Colors – Nutmeg and Stone

4.2 out of 5 rating

69% would recommend to friend

resize?w=140&h=170&uid=1902134566

Too bad they don’t have the citron.

----

ISAACMIZRAHILIVE! PEBBLE LEATHER CONVERTIBLE CROSSBODY BAG

11-1/2"W x 10"H x 1-1/2"D with an 11" to 22-1/2" strap drop

Lots of Nice Colors

3.8 out of 5

66% would recommend to friend

AAAAC_2C7KgAAAAAAMCBbw.jpg?v=1270793208000

----

TIGNANELLO GLOVE LEATHER EAST/WEST CROSSBODY BAG

13"W x 8-1/2"H x 3-1/2"D with a 10" to 22-1/2" strap drop

2 Okay Colors – Cognac and Glam Red

4.9 out of 5

100% would recommend to friend

-!Tignanello%20Glove%20Leather%20East%20West%20Crossbody%20Bag--408548231.jpg

----

TIGNANELLO PEBBLE LEATHER CROSSBODY W/FRONT SNAP POCKET

11"W x 11"H x 1-1/2"D with a 23-1/2" strap drop and 5" handle drop

No adjustable strap

3 Okay Colors – Violet, Cognac, Bone

5 out of 5

thumb2.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.pronto.com%2Fimages%2Fproduction%2Fproducts%2F62%2F67%2Fqvce3b0f74f3d1e1c376fc2a5738faf-1287940460_225x200.jpg&wmax=180&hmax=240&quality=80&bgcol=FFFFFF

----

TIGNANELLO PEBBLE LEATHER CROSSBODY ORGANIZER BAG W/ KEY FOB

9"W x 8-1/2"H x 1-1/2"D with a 21" to 23" strap drop

Lots of great colors

4.6 out of 5

93% would recommend to friend

-!Tignanello%20Pebble%20Leather%20Crossbody%20Organizer%20Bag%20Key%20Fob%20Handbag--260793091.jpg

----

TIGNANELLO PEBBLE LEATHER CROSSBODY BAG WITH PLEATED DETAIL

9"W x 8-1/2"H x 2-1/2"D with a 22" strap drop

1 Okay Color – Cream – I don’t care for the other colors

Strap is not adjustable

5 out of 5

Can’t find an image to post here

----

Edited by Negin in Grenada

VERA BRADLEY

I’m not usually a Vera Bradley fan for myself. I love them on everyone else, but have always been a bit cautious and conservative to wear them myself – much to my dd’s chagrin. She is crazy about VB. It would absolutely make her day if I were to get a VB.

The strap is adjustable.

Totally overwhelmed by all the print choices.

Would a VB look silly with a print top? Almost all of my tops are printed. I now very seldom wear T-shirts. I think a printed bag would just look cluttered.

AAAADHtYgTsAAAAAAAVtCw.jpg?v=1226612749000

----

Phew ... sorry about that. I was on a roll and I'm sorry to have overwhelmed.

Thank you for any feedback.

Good point. ;)

Thanks for the links.

Now, this is going to sound a bit odd. I'm rather image-conscious. Will a belted wallet make me look bulky and fat at the waist? And what if I'm wearing a skirt or dress, which is probably unlikely, since I imagine that most of our times on the metro or Tube - I'll be wearing pants - nonetheless. Would a belt look silly?

I know that a belt may be very good for my dh. He carries his wallet in his front pocket, but a belt should be much more secure.

It is so thin it won't make a difference. It's not like a fanny pack. I think the biggest it got was like a 1/2" thick. You're not putting anything big in it. Just your IDs and your money. After a while, I seriously didn't even think about it being on and we were on tour for 2 weeks. The only pain was when I had to get out money, but I tried to keep small amounts in my pockets so I wouldn't have to be going into it all the time. My dh carried his wallet too, but I had the traveler's cheques, big bills, and our passports.

MONEY BELT

Should I just stick with a money belt and not bother about buying a new bag?

I’m embarrassed to say this, but I’m a bit of a snob when it comes to myself. I never judge how others dress or look. I’m more critical with myself.

Will a belted wallet make me look bulky and fat at the waist? And what if I'm wearing a skirt or dress, which is probably unlikely, since I imagine that most of our times on the metro or Tube - I'll be wearing pants - nonetheless. Would a belt look silly?

----

I am of similar stature and hated the money belt. I felt that it made me look bulky - especially during the summer when you are wearing more form fitting clothes. (Money belts and low rise pants are also not a good combination). The wise thing to do is to carry your passports in our money belt, but they are sooooooo bulky and do not really curve to your body ... especially if you are carrying more than one passport. I tried the belt with both pants and skirt ... and even with the skirt you could see the outline of the rigid passports.

Some alternatives that I have read about:

• wear the belt with the pouch along your back and not your front.
  • Get a necklace style pouch. Wear it around your neck or crossbody (and under your clothes obviously.) Here's a link of the type of hidden pouch.
  • There's this kind that you can put around your leg (if it's not sized exclusively for men)

Honestly, I never found a hidden solution for me. I just went with a crossbody bag with a zipper closure held in front of me ... and if need be, let DH carry our passports. Just remember to be aware at all times, especially when things get crowded and squished.

Either way, have fun shopping and traveling!!!

I make DH wear the money belt for exactly this reason. :lol:

I wear a cross-body bag with multiple inner zipped pockets, and I carry my wallet in one of the many inner zipped pockets. I've tried reaching in blindly myself, knowing where it is, and I have a hard time finding it from the angle a pickpocket would have to use. I figure the odds of someone unzipping the top, finding the right pocket inside, unzipping it and getting something out without me noticing are pretty slim, especially when they'd have to dig through all the useless stuff that's always in there before they could even find the right compartment. Plus, I always see tons of tourists everywhere who are completely easy targets with their bags gaping open, so I figure just being aware of my bag makes theft way less likely.

I do other things to reduce the chances of getting my bag picked. I keep the bag so that the zipper in its closed position is in front of me. My travel bag also has a difficult-to-cut strap, but I am always sure to put the bag on the non-street side when walking along the sidewalk. In very busy tourist areas (i.e. Colosseum), I loop my arm through the smaller carry handles as well as having the strap across my body. I do the same thing when crowds are thick like on the tube.

So far, so good for travel abroad.

I have a Sac crossbody purse in green that I get a lot of compliments on. I mention it, because the strap is fully adjustable w/ a sliding buckle. I can loosen it all the way to wear crossbody or tighten it to wear over my shoulder. I have trouble linking on my I-phone, but my particular style was Iris crossbody. I didn't see my particular color online, but it's vivid, so I know they have some bright color choices.

I think the biggest it got was like a 1/2" thick. You're not putting anything big in it. Just your IDs and your money. The only pain was when I had to get out money, but I tried to keep small amounts in my pockets so I wouldn't have to be going into it all the time. My dh carried his wallet too, but I had the traveler's cheques, big bills, and our passports.

Thank you so much :grouphug:.

Still being indecisive. It's not too expensive, so I may very well order one. At least it's worth trying.

If you are considering bags that aren't cross body bags how about the Healthy Back Bag at LLBean? Comes in lots of colors, fabrics and at least two sizes.

Thank you.

Not really my type or personality. Not at this point in my life. I've become much more girly. But I would consider this if I want to be very practical. I want a bag that can carry me from day to evening. Not that we have particularly fancy evenings planned, but not too casual either. LLBean is too casual and outdoorsy for me. I'm practical but I'm also feminine. Hard to explain. :001_huh: Or maybe I'm just confused :lol:.

When we were in Paris, I wore a purse similar to this one. The top zips and then folds over. I would wear the zippers facing my body with the purse kind of tucked under my arm so it wasn't as easily accessed.

This is a nice one. Don't like the color much, however. Not for summer. Yes, in the city, and pretty much everywhere, I always carry the zipper facing me. I'm very, very cautious in city subways/undegrounds/metros/whatever you want to call them. :D I had a close experience when I was in my teens and all alone in London. Never again. Luckily, I outsmarted him.

I am of similar stature and hated the money belt.

The wise thing to do is to carry your passports in our money belt, but they are sooooooo bulky and do not really curve to your body ... especially if you are carrying more than one passport.

I just went with a crossbody bag with a zipper closure held in front of me ... and if need be, let DH carry our passports. Just remember to be aware at all times, especially when things get crowded and squished.

Either way, have fun shopping and traveling!!!

Thank you and for the reminder to be aware. I always am, given my almost scary experience described above. I tend to be very city-smart, having lived in one of the most crime-ridden parts of NYC.

And yes, I will be carrying far more than 1 passport. :confused: I hate the idea of bulk with a money belt. But I will do it if necessary. Dh does not mind carrying a money belt. I can give him the passports, or at least split them up - half to him and half to me.

Yes, a crossbody bag held in front of me with the zipper on my side is the best option, I think. It's what I've always done. I just like to find one that looks very nice, not scream, "TRAVEL!" or "PRACTICAL!" etc. if you kwim. Some travel things are so dull and drab ... sorry to sound so snobbish, ladies. But I'm tired of dull, drab, boring, etc. I'm into feminine, girly, nice colors, etc.

What about a Spibelt to hold your money and other important papers. It moves easily with you, you barely notice it is there. It holds a HUGE amount of items.

http://www.spibelt.com/spibelt.php

Good option. Thank you. :)

At least for dh even if I'm not up to carrying one.

I make DH wear the money belt for exactly this reason.

I wear a cross-body bag with multiple inner zipped pockets, and I carry my wallet in one of the many inner zipped pockets.

I do other things to reduce the chances of getting my bag picked. I keep the bag so that the zipper in its closed position is in front of me. My travel bag also has a difficult-to-cut strap

Thank you. We see eye-to-eye.

Is there a particular bag that you know has a hard-to-cut strap? Do you get special ones, or just look for straps that are more thick?

The travel catalogs have bags with special straps, but they're not nearly as interesting or appealing as the prettier bags on QVC, etc.

I have a Sac crossbody purse in green that I get a lot of compliments on. I mention it, because the strap is fully adjustable w/ a sliding buckle. I can loosen it all the way to wear crossbody or tighten it to wear over my shoulder. I didn't see my particular color online, but it's vivid, so I know they have some bright color choices.

Thank you. Will do a search.

Negin, I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a minute, OK? (Don't take it personally, please.)

The pictures you linked don't seem to me like they have much in the way of theft-proofing features. The first cute citron-colored bag claims to lay flat, and there is a zipper-opening, but the large pocket is *very easily accesible*. The bag doesn't have anything that would keep someone from slashing the strap so it fell right off your body. I would not pick that for a safe, peace-of-mind bag. The others don't seem to have much more to recommend them either.

Here's why I'm concerned:

While we were in Barcelona two summers ago, dd and I saw a cut-and-run incident in which someone cut a bag off a person, then pitched the bag to a runner (whom we didn't see b/c "he" was just around the corner in an alley/street). Dd saw the bag go flying through the air, we both saw the victim feel it come off and panic, then start loudly accusing the person behind her, who did an aboutface and came our way. Dd pulled me back to the edge of the building, and we gave the guy wide berth.

We also came into our hotel on our second day just at the time that a young co-ed was at the reception desk having a meltdown after filing a police report about her stolen wallet.

You have kids, right? I would get a Pacsafe or Travelon* (??) bag of some kind with an integral steel mesh and steel cables in the strap, as well as clip-closed zippers and perhaps even something with a lock, if you plan to ride long trains or bus rides. When I had leetle kids, I much preferred to focus on them and keeping them with me and not worry about the bag hanging from my body. (I wore a waist-pack instead of a purse for some years when I had wee ones. Not pretty, but very practical.)

We also saw a *Spanish* family get separated from one another on the train from Valencia to Barcelona because some stoopid teen boys from another country were being stubborn and wouldn't get themselves and their cases out of the way. You shoulda heard the Mama Bear cussing them out while she watched her kids standing on the siding with their aunt. (The teens didn't speak Spanish, only their language and english, so I obliged by translating the Spanish into English for them, cuz I was mad at them, too.) Stuff can happen in a split second even in your own country. The train was emergency-stopped, soldiers were automatically called, etc. It was a mess!

When we traveled, dd kept everything of hers in a simple nylon backpack with pull strings, turned around so it was on her chest, but she wasn't carrying anything valuable. She carried her camera on a wrist tether, but it was only a $250 point and shoot. I had purchased a very small cloth and vinyl hobo-style handbag from Target that had a short over-the-shoulder strap that put it literally under my armpit. It also had a 1 1/5 inch ring where the strap attached to the purse that I kept my thumb hooked through at all times. Someone would have had to practically cut my body and to pry the bag from my thumb to get the bag. The bag also had a full zip across the top and one on the back side, next to my body. (They could have had it if they desired, but the point was that there were much easier targets.) We also made it a point not to be out at times that would have made *us* a target of oppotunity b/c no one else was around.

If I had had more than a week's notice that we would be traveling on our own and not with a group, and time to prepare, I would have gone for the real theft-proof purse. When traveling with younger children, you might appreciate having your hands and mind worry-free and being able to focus on enjoying the experience and keeping your family safe.

That's my two cents. I hope you have a wonderful time!

ETA: here's a link to one in the color you like, if not in the style: http://www.normthompson.com/jump.jsp?itemID=13444&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=13444

Edited by Valerie(TX)
Hey I found one in the color you like--would that help?

Valerie, I really do appreciate your very helpful post. Thank you. :grouphug:

Coincidentally, I have been looking and am this close to making a decision on a very similar bag by the same manufacturers, thanks to someone else's suggestion.

Just not sure if I should get the medium or the large. My dc are not that small anymore - dd will be 13 while we're in Paris and ds is 11.

This is the medium and here's a link to the large. Either way, I would probably get the taupe.

Once again, thank you. :grouphug:

Valerie, I really do appreciate your very helpful post. Thank you. :grouphug:

I'd be very interested in what you decide to get, and what you think about the size of it.

Dd is 18 and she will be going with a group from her college to that far away place with all the ancient columned temples on top of hills. Lucky, lucky her.

She bought herself a really nice camera with her own money, and I'm *this* close to getting her the camera bag for her birthday and Easter--did you know that Easter bunnies have a special dispensation to bring useful gifts when kids get older? ;) I can't decide whether the bag specifically for cameras would be better than a purse with the same "hard to rip-off" features. I'm thinking either way we'll get her the cut-proof strap for the camera.

When you decide and get it in hand, could you LMK what you think of the size you bought?? (Dh says lenses need to stay attached to the camera body as much as possible, so size matters.)

Valerie, I will order soon. Still not sure whether to get the medium or the large. I'm leaning towards the large. Think I need to sit down with a measuring tape and get a proper feel for the dimensions. I really don't like to carry big bags, but since we'll be traveling and on the go, big is more likely to be practical. If the dc were younger, the need for a big bag would be absolutely necessary. But now that they're older, not so sure.

The bag won't be in my hands until mid-May. I'm ordering it for a friend to bring down here. Since we live outside the U.S., that's the best option. So, if you don't mind waiting until mid-May, I'll let you know what I think.

Your dd is going to Athens?!!! :hurray: :D I am so envious. Greece is one place that I would absolutely love to visit. :)

I'd get the Citron, but would probably regret not getting tan since it would go with more.

The other day at the gym I noticed that my favourite colour (green) is VERY obvious, from my:

green phone

green earbuds

green Bondi Band (sweat-wicking headband)

green purse

green jacket

green water bottle

green eyes. :lol:

ETA: I'd get the large. I don't think that you would EVER regret having the extra room.

The other day at the gym I noticed that my favourite colour (green) is VERY obvious, from my:

green phone

green earbuds

green Bondi Band (sweat-wicking headband)

green purse

green jacket

green water bottle

green eyes. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ETA: I'd get the large. I don't think that you would EVER regret having the extra room.

Thanks, Cyndi.

I ended up ordering the large. :D

Thank you also. Love the look of it, but some of the review/s weren't very good.

I know you've ordered already but just in case this company is very good security wise.

http://www.sativabags.com

I've got two of their bags and I ordered one for my sister to use in central London with the security of her phone, money and documents in mind. Their bags are full of clips and zips and pockets so you hide stuff away easily and the card/ticket holder that is in most of their bags is attached to the bag so really hard for any one to take.

They are made of Hemp fabric so very durable too.