Menu

Cheapest, FASTEST place to get glasses

My toddler decided to play with my glasses while I was still asleep. :glare: They are beyond hope of repair with one ear piece bent back on itself, one broken off, and a lens popped out.

I have no spares, and I can't drive without them. My kids have nonrefundable, expensive swimming lessons today. I'm suppose to go on a retreat next Thursday...again no refund.

I need cheap glasses, today...really. I have no prescription; this pair of glasses were several years old. We have no money to spare, but I can't function without them.

Edited by joannqn

Maybe you can find someone to take you to a pharmacy where you can try on the generic glasses they have on the rack? Otherwise, I'd be rigging up the old pair with some duct-tape and whatever I can find around the house.

I'm quite sure you will not be able to get a new pair of prescription glasses without a prescription. Many Walmart stores give eye exams that are somewhat reasonably priced... I just ordered a pair of eyeglasses from zennioptical.com for $30 including shipping based on multiple recommendations given here.

Good luck!

Can you do contacts? Do you have a common prescription?

I got contacts same-day from a Walmart eye place. You can get a small supply for not terribly expensive (and if you get single-wear lenses, you don't have to invest in cleaning/storage supplies), and that would get you through until glasses come in.

My toddler decided to play with my glasses while I was still asleep. :glare: They are beyond hope of repair with one ear piece bent back on itself, one broken off, and a lens popped out.

In a pinch, we have taped lens over eyes in a gerryrig fashion, using cardboard. We have done it so violent in the morning patient can see judge while calm in the afternoon. Not pretty but if you need them to drive...

Unfortunately, no I can't do contacts anymore. My eyes cannot tolerate any of the solutions; they make my eyes fill like they are filled with glue.

I've got my glasses taped together and they are giving me a headache quite quickly because they don't sit right on my face.

I would go to a lenscrafters. They had a promotion going on (not sure if its a regional thing or not), where lenses were half price if you bought frames at the same time.

My son broke my glasses once and I had them taped together as I drove to lenscrafters.

They will have your glasses ready in an hour.

You can also go to a local dr sometimes. Ask around for someone that is known for charity or easy payment plans. This happened to dh last year and one of the local optometrists found a pair of cheap glasses that his lens fit in, although not perfectly by any means. He let dh wear those until we had enough saved for a new pair of glasses. They were ugly enough dh worked overtime to pay for a new pair LOL.

Unfortunately, no I can't do contacts anymore. My eyes cannot tolerate any of the solutions; they make my eyes fill like they are filled with glue.

I've got my glasses taped together and they are giving me a headache quite quickly because they don't sit right on my face.

I gave up on my last set of contacts partially for similar reasons.

The optometrist did suggest, at the time I got them, that if they didn't work out, lenses with a higher moisture content would likely work better. But I can definitely understand not wanting to spend the extra money on a contact exam, and then more on more expensive lenses, when you aren't even sure they'll do the trick.

(Your post reminds me that I really need to bite the bullet and get another exam and a spare pair of glasses myself. I have a baby who is firmly in the glasses-grabbing stage.)

I don't know anything about them other than seeing commercials, but America's Best says you get 2 pairs of glasses plus an eye exam for $69. I'm sure it would still take a week or two, but if you can somehow manage w/ your broken glasses until then, that seems like a good price for glasses and an exam.

I would go to a lenscrafters. They had a promotion going on (not sure if its a regional thing or not), where lenses were half price if you bought frames at the same time.

My son broke my glasses once and I had them taped together as I drove to lenscrafters.

They will have your glasses ready in an hour.

They aren't cheap by any stretch of the imagination, though. I just got a new pair of glasses there, and with an easy, low-power prescription and fairly inexpensive frames, they were still $300. Mine didn't work right for one eye, so I'm glad to say that at least they can be returned for a refund if you're not satisfied.

Thanks! I'm getting an exam this afternoon at Costco ($75). Walmart didn't have appointments available until the 13th. America's Best would give me a prescription for cheaper, but they won't give me the PD measurement needed to order glasses online. Then I'll deal with these duct-taped glasses while I wait for cheap glasses from Zennioptical. I'm going this route because I really need the magnetic clip-on shades, and they have a decent pair for only $23.95.

They aren't cheap by any stretch of the imagination, though. I just got a new pair of glasses there, and with an easy, low-power prescription and fairly inexpensive frames, they were still $300. Mine didn't work right for one eye, so I'm glad to say that at least they can be returned for a refund if you're not satisfied.

$300 would be a bargain for my glasses.

My lenses alone are $500.

I think it is really dumb that places won't give you the PD. I'd be mad about that.

I love Zenni Optical. I've ordered 6 pairs from them, between my husband and I, and have never had a problem.

Most recently my husband and I both ordered the transition lenses (generic version) from Zenni. I paid $35 and hubby paid $45 because his frames were more expensive. Wow, what a deal and they work GREAT.

I'm glad you found an appointment today, and pray your new pair is in your hands and on your face... asap.:grouphug:

PS....I keep my old prescriptions in the house if I don't have 2 pairs, just in case something like a toddler event happens. The prescription isn't perfect, but can work in a pinch. You may want to go the two pairs route if you can.

Thanks! I'm getting an exam this afternoon at Costco ($75). Walmart didn't have appointments available until the 13th. America's Best would give me a prescription for cheaper, but they won't give me the PD measurement needed to order glasses online. Then I'll deal with these duct-taped glasses while I wait for cheap glasses from Zennioptical. I'm going this route because I really need the magnetic clip-on shades, and they have a decent pair for only $23.95.

Look on the underside of the bridge of your current pair of glasses. The PD is likely to be engraved there.

Look on the underside of the bridge of your current pair of glasses. The PD is likely to be engraved there.

Or you can put a dot w/ a dry erase marker over your pupils on your current glasses and then measure between them with a ruler. I did that for ordering at Zenni before I had an eye exam and did get the correct measurement.

I know you already said you've got a Costco appointment, but I wanted to mention that when my toddler broke my glasses, Sam's still had the same frame in stock that my toddler broke. They were able to sell me a second frame, and used that with my existing lenses (which were undamaged). I'm sure Costco would be able to do the same thing.

I hope that makes sense. In stead of buying a new frame & lenses, I just bought a new frame, and the lenses fit perfectly because it was the exact same one I had previously ordered. It was $35 instead of $235. And, I had my 'new' glasses the same day.

I also vote for Zenni. I had a good experience there, too.

I know you already said you've got a Costco appointment, but I wanted to mention that when my toddler broke my glasses, Sam's still had the same frame in stock that my toddler broke. They were able to sell me a second frame, and used that with my existing lenses (which were undamaged). I'm sure Costco would be able to do the same thing.

I hope that makes sense. In stead of buying a new frame & lenses, I just bought a new frame, and the lenses fit perfectly because it was the exact same one I had previously ordered. It was $35 instead of $235. And, I had my 'new' glasses the same day.

I also vote for Zenni. I had a good experience there, too.

Unfortunately, can't do that. I didn't buy these at Costco to begin with, and the frames are discontinued. The prescription is several years old, and I'm pretty sure not correct anymore.

Or you can put a dot w/ a dry erase marker over your pupils on your current glasses and then measure between them with a ruler. I did that for ordering at Zenni before I had an eye exam and did get the correct measurement.

That's a great idea! Zenni did send us a little PD ruler with our last shipment, though (it fits over the bridge of the nose.) I won't leave an eye appointment without a PD, though. I personally consider it part of the prescription (since you can't get glasses made without that info.)

America's Best told me that the PD measurement was "the responsibility of the provider of the glasses".

Which is a very bad policy on their part - you might have used them if that wasn't their policy, so they lost out on your business, and I'm sure with word of mouth, they will lose out on more (doesn't sound like a company I want to support).

Are your lens pieces intact? If so, you may be able to find a new pair of glasses that the old lens pieces will fit into.

I did that last summer at Walmart ... total cost for new glasses... $10.00.

A privately owned optical shop may actually do this for you, buy a pair of frames (ask for a discount), then install your lenses. Maybe you can get by for the cost of the eye exam??

But, sitting on glasses (or kids sitting on glasses) have always been how I am forced to go get an eye exam! It just happened to me, my glasses were seven years old!

It's done. Let's hope it works out.

I got the new exam. The doctor said my RX was very very close to my old one, but I don't know what my old RX is to compare. I did have an exam in 09 but I never could wear those glasses; I could see fine with them but everything felt very weird. I couldn't handle them for more than a few minutes. Today's RX is less than the bad RX from 09. Costco did give me the PD. I ordered glasses from Zenni Optical with a politely worded request to rush them, if possible. Final cost - $137.90. I WAS suppose to go to the chiropractor today because I've been having severe headaches for a while from my neck being out, but that money went towards the exam. :glare: Good thing I have a Costco-sized bottle of ibuprofen.

Now I have to get over the self-consciousness of walking around with duct-taped glasses and a headache (because they don't sit right on my face) for the next two weeks.

Which is a very bad policy on their part - you might have used them if that wasn't their policy, so they lost out on your business, and I'm sure with word of mouth, they will lose out on more (doesn't sound like a company I want to support).

:iagree:

And it is a measurement that only takes 30 seconds, literally, to take.

It does seem like a bad policy, and it's the same at Lens Crafters. It's another reason (besides the glasses that don't work for me) that I'm returning my glasses to them. It really rubbed me the wrong way that would keep information about me and refuse to release it to me.

You can get your PD from the Costco optical counter without an eye appointment. But it's probably good to get a new exam anyway.

Thank you for this information! I'll try it out the next time I'm there. Yet another reason for me to support Costco.