Menu

Hit a deer last night and I'm still shaken....

Our piano teacher offered us her tickets to a music concert 45 mins away because they were going to be out of town so ds and I attended it last night. Left the venue around 10 pm and I braced myself for 45 min drive home watching for the deer. One minute I was driving straight ahead and the next minute I heard a thump and a deer's face right against my windshield. Thankfully it flew past me and didn't come through the windshield.

I realized I couldn't see ahead of me because the deer had broken off the headlight on the passenger side and had buckled up the hood of the car. I was able to stop the car when I realized I driving into the ditch. I backed out and got out of the car once my legs stopped trembling and realized the deer had knocked us into the other lane. Thankfully, there was no oncoming traffic. I had ds roll down his window once he had stopped yelling in panic (he had dozed off) and had him guide me so that I would stay within my lane. By this time the car was billowing with smoke and I could see even less. It was pitch dark, I don't own a cell phone so we started praying out loud.

After what seemed like forever we came upon a house (I was on a rural county road) and I knocked on the door several times. No answer. I saw a car approaching on the road so I ran out to try to flag them down but they didn't see me or just didn't stop. Just as I came back to the car the lights in the house came on. The couple ended up calling the police who then called a tow truck. The tow truck got a flat tire on its way to us! He finally got us hooked and towed us 15 miles to our home.

Did I mention that dh has been away all last week and for the rest of this week and can't be easily reached because he's in Puerto Rico on a work related trip! I slept about two hours last night because my heart was racing and I couldn't get the image of the deer peering at me from my brain!

I've spent most of the morning on the phone dealing with insurance stuff, car rental etc. The appraiser is supposed to contact me within 48 hrs and I'm still waiting to hear from him. Would you pray that the whole process goes smoothly. The towing company thought that the car would probably be totaled. It is a 13 yr old Honda Accord Station wagon with over 130,000 miles but had been in great condition. Not something we need to be dealing with, on top of an impending move BUT ds and I are both alive and I just have some aches and pains today - probably from whiplash. So we are indeed thankful for God's protection from a disastrous situation.

The funny part of this story: I was in the middle of getting my driver's license for the cop, still shaken and trembling and he says to me "Ma'am, did you want to take the deer home otherwise I can make a few calls to others?".....I replied..."Uhh,...no I'm not interested please go ahead." Of course, I was thinking....Are you kidding me...I just want to get home safely and the last thing on my mind is eating my own roadkill! Ah such is life when you live in a community where hunting is a serious sport. :001_smile:

I could use some prayers to calm my nerves. Ds was pretty shaken up too. I am so ready for a dull, boring life:tongue_smilie:

Thanks for letting me get this out of my system.

VH

Wow! I'm glad everyone's OK. We've had two deer scares this week--my 12 yo has been my alarm both times. When she starts screaming, "DEER! DEER!" it really sets my heart racing, but at least it gives me a chance to start braking even before I locate them. The herds are huge this spring!

Oh. My. Goodness. You SO didn't need this! I'm reaalllly sorry. I will pray for you and DS. I will also pray for strength and wisdom for you as you add all of the resulting to-do's to an already teetering list, as a single parent no less!

Like you really want to drive to the city to go car-shopping, RIGHT NOW . . . ugghhh. Again, I'm sooooo sorry. We will pray for you.

Thank you ladies, for your support. Off to bed early tonight - my nerves are frayed.

VH

Our piano teacher offered us her tickets to a music concert 45 mins away because they were going to be out of town so ds and I attended it last night. Left the venue around 10 pm and I braced myself for 45 min drive home watching for the deer. One minute I was driving straight ahead and the next minute I heard a thump and a deer's face right against my windshield. Thankfully it flew past me and didn't come through the windshield.

I realized I couldn't see ahead of me because the deer had broken off the headlight on the passenger side and had buckled up the hood of the car. I was able to stop the car when I realized I driving into the ditch. I backed out and got out of the car once my legs stopped trembling and realized the deer had knocked us into the other lane. Thankfully, there was no oncoming traffic. I had ds roll down his window once he had stopped yelling in panic (he had dozed off) and had him guide me so that I would stay within my lane. By this time the car was billowing with smoke and I could see even less. It was pitch dark, I don't own a cell phone so we started praying out loud.

After what seemed like forever we came upon a house (I was on a rural county road) and I knocked on the door several times. No answer. I saw a car approaching on the road so I ran out to try to flag them down but they didn't see me or just didn't stop. Just as I came back to the car the lights in the house came on. The couple ended up calling the police who then called a tow truck. The tow truck got a flat tire on its way to us! He finally got us hooked and towed us 15 miles to our home.

Did I mention that dh has been away all last week and for the rest of this week and can't be easily reached because he's in Puerto Rico on a work related trip! I slept about two hours last night because my heart was racing and I couldn't get the image of the deer peering at me from my brain!

I've spent most of the morning on the phone dealing with insurance stuff, car rental etc. The appraiser is supposed to contact me within 48 hrs and I'm still waiting to hear from him. Would you pray that the whole process goes smoothly. The towing company thought that the car would probably be totaled. It is a 13 yr old Honda Accord Station wagon with over 130,000 miles but had been in great condition. Not something we need to be dealing with, on top of an impending move BUT ds and I are both alive and I just have some aches and pains today - probably from whiplash. So we are indeed thankful for God's protection from a disastrous situation.

The funny part of this story: I was in the middle of getting my driver's license for the cop, still shaken and trembling and he says to me "Ma'am, did you want to take the deer home otherwise I can make a few calls to others?".....I replied..."Uhh,...no I'm not interested please go ahead." Of course, I was thinking....Are you kidding me...I just want to get home safely and the last thing on my mind is eating my own roadkill! Ah such is life when you live in a community where hunting is a serious sport. :001_smile:

I could use some prayers to calm my nerves. Ds was pretty shaken up too. I am so ready for a dull, boring life:tongue_smilie:

Thanks for letting me get this out of my system.

VH

and the kids were in the car with me and I had to explain that it ran out in front of me and yes, it most likely would die. :-(

the car thing was such a pain too since the rental was not even a tad bit comparable to what I drive, lol!!!

and you know what? I notice deer on the roadside a lot more now :-) but they still scare me. But my insurance working MIL said to always hit the animal and not veer off the road. you hit the animal it's a no fault thing. you veer off the road and hit a tree it's reckless driving.

glad you are ok

I'm glad that you are OK!! I hit a deer when I was about 6 months pregnant with my third. I was so shaky for a couple of days. My heart still beat fast when I see deer. I hope to never repeat that experience. Unfortunately, my deer just rotted on the side of the road. I tried to find someone to come and take it but no one was interested.

That is some scary stuff and thank goodness you are both okay -- shaken, but okay.

Several years ago, on another board I used to read, a popular poster dashed off a quick message before she ran to run an errand. The next morning, her husband posted a message that she had hit a deer.

Thank goodness you were able to post the story yourself! I hope everything works out okay with your car, too, since now that you are both okay, it's on to the mundane details.

I hate those things, I really do.

They are such a problem in our area. They destroy gardens, even the plants they're not supposed to like. And eventually everyone around here hits a deer. I am just waiting. I am so paranoid when driving down the country roads, my eyes always darting from side to side. I do wish that more people would hunt because the deer "community" could use some serious thinning. I keep saying that the local prison systems should feed the prisoners venison. It's tasty, nutritious, and practically free.

I'm so sorry you had to deal with all of that last night, but I'm really glad that you and ds are okay. The car can be repaired or replaced, you know that. :)

Thanks for your prayers for sleep. I slept a full 8 hours - something I haven't done in a long time. Got a chunk of school done this morning and I actually have energy to do some cleaning and decluttering this afternoon.

The appraiser just called and can't come out until Monday to look at the vehicle. So we just have to wait.

Thanks again!

VH

Thank you ladies, for your support. Off to bed early tonight - my nerves are frayed.

VH