Menu

It's supposed to help prevent decay. I actually use it in my coffee in the am instead of sugar--about a tablespoon a day. Haven't had or heard of any ill effects.

My dentist actually recommended my kids chew gum with it to help "heal" the tiny cavities they had.

It's supposed to help prevent decay. I actually use it in my coffee in the am instead of sugar--about a tablespoon a day. Haven't had or heard of any ill effects.

My dentist actually recommended my kids chew gum with it to help "heal" the tiny cavities they had.

How long did it take to help? None of the cavities is currently large or causing her any issues. I have gum with xylitol I've started letting her chew.

I don't think the idea is to ingest it as a tooth decay treatment. It's a sugar substitute that doesn't cause tooth decay. You use it to replace sugar ideally.

Unless I'm missing something. :D

I've seen people say stuff online both ways about it- which is why I came to the Hive. :D

Please beware that it can be fatal to dogs and ferrets though so if you have chewing gum in the house make sure it is up out of the way where animals can not reach it. I can not tell you how many times I have had to pry a pack of gum out of my dog's mouth.

Good to know- although I don't have any dogs or ferrets.

A dentist recommended to us that we chew gum with xylitol, but I haven't been able to figure out which brand of gum uses it. :confused:

Our dentist reccomended Orbit. We used it for quite a while and then I realized it had aspartame in it.:glare: I haven't found anything to replace it yet.

A dentist recommended to us that we chew gum with xylitol, but I haven't been able to figure out which brand of gum uses it. :confused:

Spry makes gum. It's not great, and doesn't last forever, but it's decent enough that I buy it regularly. The cinnamon tastes pretty much like any other cinnamon-flavored gum, and I like that they also offer green tea flavored gum. It tastes nothing like green tea LOL but it's a fresh change of (gum) pace from the usual various mints and citrus.

My child with poor enamel also uses Spry toothpaste. She prefers the "baby" gel version to the regular version, but will use either. When we run low, she brushes with just straight xylitol (watered down a bit to make it more pasty).

Google, also, remineralization of teeth for more hints, tips, and BTDT.

The gums at the grocery store do not have as much xylitol as brands such as Spry and Epic, which you can find at the health food store or order online. For gum, I like the Spry Fresh Fruit, tastes a lot like juicy fruit. You can also get xylitol mints or get granular xylitol and use it to sweeten things or just eat a spoon of it. I think the recommended dosage is 6-10 grams/day.

there's also a mouthwash made from/with xylitol that I use. I don't know that I've seen any difference cavity wise, but I haven't been using it that long. I'm also using a gumwash and that has been awesome; my gums have stopped bleeding since I started using it and they look so much healthier. Hoping the xylitol ends up being just as great.

there's also a mouthwash made from/with xylitol that I use. I don't know that I've seen any difference cavity wise, but I haven't been using it that long. I'm also using a gumwash and that has been awesome; my gums have stopped bleeding since I started using it and they look so much healthier. Hoping the xylitol ends up being just as great.

Sally, which gumwash are you using? :bigear: I'm having a lot of hormone issues which make my gums bleed a lot. Thanks in advance!

SPRY gum uses it and can be found on Amazon. You can bake with it, get it in pancake syrup, toothpaste etc. Have read the dental claims but not sure that it is that simple myself. Tastes pretty good though!

I get it at my local grocery store. It is a sugar substitute--actually has a bit of sucrose in it, but not enough to do any damage. It's called Ideal.

The xylitol helps prevent plaque formation, I know that. I think this tells a little more. It is said to not only prevent cavitites, but help heal them. (I don't know about this source, but I've seen the info other places.

I don't know if it works or not, honestly.