Menu

s/o Are there any national SECULAR HS conferences?

I want to go to one! And here's my wish list (in case anyone's looking) :D

Workshops entitled:

1. Tips and Techniques for Keeping Younger Children Happy, Busy and Educationally Enriched (Without Resorting to Locking Them in the Closet Alone with Your Portable DVD Player and a stack of LeapFrog DVDs)

2. Real Magic Tricks to Convince Your Husband that Housework Doesn't Really Matter": aka STOP TALKING TO ME ABOUT DIRTY DISHES Because Your 3rd Grade DAUGHTER STILL DOESN'T KNOW HER TIMES TABLES!!!

3. Gentle Persuasive Techniques: How to Get Hubby to Fold All the Laundry, Do all the Dishes and Run You A Bubble Bath after Work

4. Gentle Persuasive Techniques 2nd Session: How to Stop Your HS Child from Whining, Complaining, or Moaning When Diagramming Sentences

Evening Workshops entitled:

1. Margaritas, Mojitos and More!: An Easy Way to Remember When and If It's Okay to Raid the Liquor Cabinet. Free babysitting and mixed drinks provided.

2. Monthly Mail Order Chocolates: You've Order Science In A Nutshell Kits...Now try Chocolate in a Basket Kits! Free Babysitting Provided.

3. No Reason at All Workshop. Free Babysitting Provided.

I'm not sure what national means. There's a big one in Sacramento, CA every August that is secular.

Yea, but it's also so heavily unschooling in it's workshops and speakers that to me, the only draw has always been Jim Weiss (and maybe the exhibit hall, but even that is often no where near what I would want to browse). The other big CA convention in southern CA is pretty much the same. I'm totally curious if there is a large, secular-learning conference that also is more classical/CM in it's offerings (in other words, a place where one could still see SWB, MCT, IEW, etc.).

Workshops entitled:

1. Tips and Techniques for Keeping Younger Children Happy, Busy and Educationally Enriched (Without Resorting to Locking Them in the Closet Alone with Your Portable DVD Player and a stack of LeapFrog DVDs)

2. Real Magic Tricks to Convince Your Husband that Housework Doesn't Really Matter": aka STOP TALKING TO ME ABOUT DIRTY DISHES Because Your 3rd Grade DAUGHTER STILL DOESN'T KNOW HER TIMES TABLES!!!

3. Gentle Persuasive Techniques: How to Get Hubby to Fold All the Laundry, Do all the Dishes and Run You A Bubble Bath after Work

4. Gentle Persuasive Techniques 2nd Session: How to Stop Your HS Child from Whining, Complaining, or Moaning When Diagramming Sentences

1. Margaritas, Mojitos and More!: An Easy Way to Remember When and If It's Okay to Raid the Liquor Cabinet. Free babysitting and mixed drinks provided.

2. Monthly Mail Order Chocolates: You've Order Science In A Nutshell Kits...Now try Chocolate in a Basket Kits! Free Babysitting Provided.

I'm in! Name your price! Can I interest you in a First Born?

Yea, but it's also so heavily unschooling in it's workshops and speakers that to me, the only draw has always been Jim Weiss (and maybe the exhibit hall, but even that is often no where near what I would want to browse). The other big CA convention in southern CA is pretty much the same. I'm totally curious if there is a large, secular-learning conference that also is more classical/CM in it's offerings (in other words, a place where one could still see SWB, MCT, IEW, etc.).

Very true. In fact I've never been to more than the vendor hall. But my friend who is on the board says that's because they take volunteers for the workshops, and that's who offers. This year they're looking to actively recruit more diversity--they do want to support all styles. So I'm hoping that in future there will be more for me.

That's what I want! I just want a conference that focuses on the SCHOOL part of "homeSCHOOLing" :D Is that too much to ask?

Very true. In fact I've never been to more than the vendor hall. But my friend who is on the board says that's because they take volunteers for the workshops, and that's who offers. This year they're looking to actively recruit more diversity--they do want to support all styles. So I'm hoping that in future there will be more for me.

There's a part in me that says, "If you don't like it, then do something to change it." :tongue_smilie: But then I feel all :glare: towards my inner-voice! I know many of the big names in CA homeschooling tend to lean to the unschooling side. And that's all well and fine for those who do. But it is so not me, or the journey we are on here. I also know many local homeschoolers that are classical in their approach (though many are also religious in their approach, so they probably don't feel under-represented in our state's homeschooling organizations because they are probably more of the CHEC type of homeschoolers). But, personally, though I pay my yearly dues to support our state organizations (well, one of them - no need to do both), I also feel like they are so different than me in terms of actual homeschooling that I wish I could fit in with the religious homeschoolers sometimes, as classical and religious seem to go hand-in-hand.

That's what I want! I just want a conference that focuses on the SCHOOL part of "homeSCHOOLing" :D Is that too much to ask?

That would be great! Those of us who are classical but secular are left without any really good offerings. I started out as an unschooler, but realized that it doesn't work for our family. Classical does. Neither a secular unschooling conference nor a Christian classical conference meets the needs of secular classical homeschoolers....

I think it would be great! We considered going to the one in Sacramento this year but too much going on, so we couldn't commit. We will go to the unschooling conference held in San Diego this year (we think). We are are a mix of unschooling and secular curriculum though.

Our state used to have an inclusive one (meaning it had Christian vendors and speakers, but also secular ones, and was as far as I know not run by people with a Christian agenda).

It was small, and it folded a few years back. :( I did get to meet Jim Weiss there. :) I'm pretty sure Teaching Textbooks and Videotext came. But most of the speakers were smaller potatoes. No SWB or Andrew Pudewa.

We do have an unschooling conference. I went once when the kids were young, and that's how I found out I wasn't an unschooler. ;)

Now all that's left for those who might want to look at curriculum or hear about educational philosophies other than unschooling is our state Christian convention. I'm not sure if it's affiliated with that other group that was mentioned. I went a couple of times because I volunteered to man a booth. I wasn't remotely interested in most of the conference topics, although I loved being able to peruse the Rainbow Resource booth. I haven't been in years since I no longer have the opportunity to man a booth - it's $50 for one day, even more for both days, and there's no exhibit hall only option. :glare:

You guys made me look at the NE convention - Oh, my! So many interesting speakers, and it's only $25 for all three days? I may grab some friends to share a room and caravan on down there...

Workshops entitled:

I think you may have found your calling! -Amy, a little troubled that the closet/DVD may be a problem

There's a part in me that says, "If you don't like it, then do something to change it." :tongue_smilie: But then I feel all :glare: towards my inner-voice! I know many of the big names in CA homeschooling tend to lean to the unschooling side. And that's all well and fine for those who do. But it is so not me, or the journey we are on here.
Are you volunteering to teach a workshop on classical education at the Sac conference, or are you hinting for me to do it? :D If you must know, my friend also roped me into teaching two small classical sessions. I'm going to die of nerves, and I'm no expert, so I sure hope someone more knowledgeable turns up next year.

I wish!

However, I have been to the typical homeschool conference. I just pick and choose what lectures to go and listen to.

Plus I go check into a nice hotel with a friend for a couple of days and we go out for nice lunches and dinners without the kids. Oh, and take some bottles of wine with us. :D

I'm looking for the threads from a month or two back about doing some regional TWTM conferences. Does anyone remember that? Maybe it's time to take action.
I remember that too....seems like it was more than a couple of months ago. Wasn't there even a sub-forum to discuss them? Is that still even up? I would love something like that.

Here's one of the old threads:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249341

Love your post, Halcyon.

Like minded folk: please come to the NE convention in Philly. I'm going (despite the spanking advocate who is on the roster), and I would love to meet WTMers. I'm taking Amtrak from RI to get there if anyone wants to meet en route.

Workshops entitled:

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

I really needed this today! Yes, name your price and I'll be there!

Workshops entitled:

This sounds right up my alley! :lol:

But in all seriousness, I would love a secular, classical conference somewhere. Or, not even specifically secular, but one that wasn't just specifically Christian would be nice.

Workshops entitled:

:lol::lol::lol:

I love it!!

I think you should host it- I'd totally come. Oh, and you're in Florida... Please, could you do it between the months of December and February? I wouldn't mind an excuse to get out of Pennsylvania in the dead of winter ("But Hubby, this is IMPORTANT. I'm going to learn when it's okay to raid the liquor cabinet. You wouldn't mind that so much, it might mean more bedroom time!)

As I have repeated often, I would return to a WTM conference again in a heartbeat. I know Susan isn't a secular individual but the conference was completely homeSCHOOL focused. True how-tos, ideas and options. LOVED it.

Please Susan!? Please, please, please!! I'm begging here!

:iagree::iagree: Something in the South East, perhaps? Georgia maybe?