Menu

Has anyone blogged about the Homeschool Wars?

oh goodness, I love the light saber fight photo with the post!

I have been thinking about posting- but the whole thing makes me feel a bit dirty...the whole thing really brings me down, the taking sides...the division.

I stopped going to homeschool convetions 8 years ago- mostly because our State convention was spreading rumors about charter school programs and painting them all with a broad brush- and encouraging groups to shun parents that join a charter. It was soo icky. That, and the last straw was I couldn't bring my nursing baby because she was older than a 'lap baby'- whatever that is...:tongue_smilie:

I'll link back if I actually post. Thank you for the links :auto:

oh goodness, I love the light saber fight photo with the post!

I have been thinking about posting- but the whole thing makes me feel a bit dirty...the whole thing really brings me down, the taking sides...the division.

I stopped going to homeschool convetions 8 years ago- mostly because our State convention was spreading rumors about charter school programs and painting them all with a broad brush- and encouraging groups to shun parents that join a charter. It was soo icky. That, and the last straw was I couldn't bring my nursing baby because she was older than a 'lap baby'- whatever that is...:tongue_smilie:

I'll link back if I actually post. Thank you for the links :auto:

Jen, I think it's sad that state conventions are doing this-- WHY must homeschoolers "shun" others?? Are charter schools really all that evil? REALLY?!?!?!?!?

Ugh.

When I first got involved with the Illinois Homeschool PAC, I was told that some homeschool organizations eat their young. I thought it was just a joke, but I am learning how sadly true it really is.

I have been reading SWB's blogs with interest, and a friend of mine had some interesting thoughts here.

I pulled together a blog about this yesterday.

I am curious as to what the rest of you are saying in your blogs-- anyone care to post links?

Most excellent! Everything that I've been thinking the past week.

Thank you very much for sharing it.

Perhaps the Great Homeschool Conventions in future should just invite secular vendors or any Christians who feel that they can play nicely with others. I'd hate to see that have to happen, but perhaps those who want to narrowly define Christianity would be better to just stay with state conventions that will support them. If we go our separate ways, maybe we can all be happy....

I went to my first state convention over a decade ago, and I felt utterly out-of-place. I've always worked and homeschooled, and DH and I divide some of the family duties in ways that don't jive with the prevailing thinking at some of these conventions. For various reasons I never went back.

It really is quite sad. Homeschooling is tough enough without trying to figure out who is "better" at this stuff...

Well said and thank you for writing this. I never can understand why some people feel the need to tear down others to build themselves up. I'm a YEC. I know others have different opinions but don't feel that makes me more of a christian.

I have been reading SWB's blogs with interest, and a friend of mine had some interesting thoughts here.

I am curious as to what the rest of you are saying in your blogs-- anyone care to post links?

Ha! I like your blogpost. I confused your friend with another homeschooling blogger called "that mom." Sorry!

Edited by TXMary2

I think I'm going to blog about it once I get a minute to pull my thoughts together and not make it sound like a rant. Now I'm pretty tempted to just post a link to Mother Superior and say "Yeah this...read it."

Mine is definitely in the rant category, but hopefully my readers are used to me.:tongue_smilie:

Excellent, excellent! all the 'bickerin' back and forth reminds me of a bad day. . . with my children! When will the adults grow up?

Your blog was very well put. I made a much shorter post pleading that we all reunite and respect our differences because it is our differences that brought us to homeschooling and it is our differences that will bring about change and progress.

Thanks for posting.

:iagree:

Great job!

Most excellent! Everything that I've been thinking the past week.

Thank you very much for sharing it.

Well said and thank you for writing this. I never can understand why some people feel the need to tear down others to build themselves up. I'm a YEC. I know others have different opinions but don't feel that makes me more of a christian.

Superb!! May I refer others to your blog? You have said what I was trying to say much more eloquently than I ever could.

I think I'm going to blog about it once I get a minute to pull my thoughts together and not make it sound like a rant. Now I'm pretty tempted to just post a link to Mother Superior and say "Yeah this...read it."

Excellent, excellent! all the 'bickerin' back and forth reminds me of a bad day. . . with my children! When will the adults grow up?

Your blog was very well put. I made a much shorter post pleading that we all reunite and respect our differences because it is our differences that brought us to homeschooling and it is our differences that will bring about change and progress.

Thanks for posting.

Thank you to all of you!

Those of you who would like to link to my blog, please feel free!

I am looking forward to reading what others have written about this.

Mine is definitely in the rant category, but hopefully my readers are used to me.:tongue_smilie:

LOL! Just read it, and yeah, it was a rant, but a good one!

It bugs me that SWB is taking a lot of heat over this, when she didn't run the conference or choose to banish anybody. What bugs me more, though is how people are taking statements from Enns totally out of context and then using them to question his Christianity.

Thanks for posting.

Do you have a link you can share? I'd love to read it!

LOL! Just read it, and yeah, it was a rant, but a good one!

It bugs me that SWB is taking a lot of heat over this, when she didn't run the conference or choose to banish anybody. What bugs me more, though is how people are taking statements from Enns totally out of context and then using them to question his Christianity.

:iagree: I've read the free material provided and I'm not seeing what people find objectionable in his writing. I even read it to my very conservative (Biblically speaking) mother and she adored it. I didn't tell her about the 'issues' before hand. Afterwards I asked her point blank about the objections I've seen stated to the curriculum. She said that she honestly did not see that or hear that. (She also read the samples for herself at my request)

I liked your blog entry and I agree with one of the commentators: God created the world. I don't know how long it took Him - I just believe He did it. (paraphrase) That pretty much sums up my view as well.

I should be all shutty-uppie, not being a Christian, or a conference-goer.

However. ;) Two thoughts.

1. Awesome useage of Star Wars light saber confrontation. :D 10 out 10.

2. Titus 2 lesbians? Really? And people wonder why some might be Christian-phobic.

Edited by LibraryLover

Sharee,

I give you two wiggly thumbs up for your blog post! You are an excellent writer.

I attended the SE homeschool convention 2 weekends ago and thankfully was blissfully unaware of all the "kerfluffle" regarding SWB, Ken Ham vs Wile vs Peter Enns, etc ....

Thank you. I went to the conference in Memphis before all this went down. Thank goodness there were no distractions and I could just focus on terrific talks by SWB.

2. Titus 2 lesbians? Really? And people wonder why some might be Christian-phobic.

My friend Karen wrote those. She's pretty funny, eh?

Her pod casts on patriocentricity are really amazing.

Oh gosh, I hadn't heard of the Titus 2 lesbians before. :001_huh: Geez now I'm gonna have to google it. Dangit. The "white washed feminist" stuff gets on my nerves though and I'm a conservative Christian. I read the book he is referring to and I still can think of it without getting an eye twitch. :ack2: In a nutshell, if you educate your daughter and do horrible things like send her to college she will learn that she has options in life and might not want to be a SAHM. I know, horrific, isn't it? So glad I've been warned. I immediately took away all of my daughters books and taught her to knit.

I read the blog post and thought there were a lot of good points made. But one thing that came to mind, when reading about Sonlight getting banned from the Christian Convention, is that now the same thing has happened to Ken Ham on the so called other side. I'm not so sure that banning anyone is a good idea.

I definately don't think he should have said what he said, but don't think banning seems to great an idea either. He should be made to play nice or choose not to play. Maybe there was no way of making someone play nice, I don't know.

I read the blog post and thought there were a lot of good points made. But one thing that came to mind, when reading about Sonlight getting banned from the Christian Convention, is that now the same thing has happened to Ken Ham on the so called other side. I'm not so sure that banning anyone is a good idea.

I definately don't think he should have said what he said, but don't think banning seems to great an idea either. He should be made to play nice or choose not to play. Maybe there was no way of making someone play nice, I don't know.

Ironically, wasn't *he* the one calling Sonlight out? Maybe I am remembering wrong.

Frankly, who ARE these people that think they can tell me what/how to think? Please! Just tell me about your stuff. I'll let you know if I want to buy it.