Menu

Wow, Yale Open Course

So, I am exploring high school resources. . . and have downloaded my first college 'open course'. Political Science from Yale's Open Courses.

http://oyc.yale.edu/political-science/introduction-to-political-philosophy/content/downloads

I was able to get all of the readings in epub format, then used Calibre to convert them to mobi format, and they're now beautifully on the kids' kindle (and will be on my kindle as soon as I get it from upstairs). So, all the readings are 100% free and paperless.

I am in the process of downloading all of the video lectures (and will do the audio only formats, too, if they prove to be w/o visual elements) from itunes university.

Every resource appears to be in tidy order. . .

I am going to take the course myself over the next little while before deciding if/when my dd is ready for it. It's sort of an experiment in the technology.

From what I can see so far, it looks like a pretty spectacular technology. I wonder how much of the kids highschool (advanced/AP level) course work we can/should get from these amazing open courses that many elite colleges are putting out there.

Wow. I think education is going to really change. Talk about a leveling of the playing field. With some of the best universities offering free courses online. . . I wonder to what extent we can take advantage of them, and how that will change college.

It is really amazing.

What do you all think? Have any of you taken any of these courses? What do you think?

I have perused them but not taken one from start to finish yet. I agree that open source courses will completely change education.

My main question is this, though, and perhaps I betray my old-school leanings: how will your kids "mark" their book if it is paperless? I teach my students to interact with their reading by writing in their books, and although online articles and novels are great, environmentally speaking, I find conversations much deeper (and easier) when everyone comes to the table with notes, questions and observations in the margins. Thoughts?

I have a deep profound hatred of writing in books. Any books. It's like marking up art. I. Just. Can't. Do. It.

However, we do keep lots of notes here. A tree probably dies every day each of my kids has school work to do.

I've never really comprehended the notion that one must write in their books to keep notes.

Thanks for the resource link. My kids are a little young, but these appeal to me and, hopefully, the offerings will expand in time. :)

As for note taking in books, I do write in my paperback books, not hardcover. Isn't that funny? At any rate, I have a Nook and it does allow you to hightlight, bookmark and type notes within the ebook. Very nice.

I have a deep profound hatred of writing in books. Any books. It's like marking up art. I. Just. Can't. Do. It.

I've never really comprehended the notion that one must write in their books to keep notes.

I used to be like that, then I got over it. Certain books, of course not, and generally not books I just read for pleasure, but absolutely all others are fair game.

You can take highlight things on a kindle and they are saved in their own section of highlights so you can review what you thought was most important.

Resists...pull...of...dark...side...loves...real...books....

(that feature sounds GREAT for students!!!!)

We have used parts of the Harvard, MIT, and Yale and the Monterey open-courses. Mostly, lecture notes and assignments and tests. My dd has watched some of the videos. She has opted to use texts and had me write up assignments on "work sheets" so she could write them out. She likes to read books and take notes on "work sheet reading guides." She may be the last of her generation to be computer averse when it comes to academics.

• 1 month later...

Wow. I think education is going to really change. Talk about a leveling of the playing field. With some of the best universities offering free courses online. . . I wonder to what extent we can take advantage of them, and how that will change college.

The universities that make available these course materials deserve a lot of credit. The cynic/realist(?) in me says they won't change college much, because college is largely about getting a credential, and employers don't care if you have done the work for a Yale political science course. They care if you have a Yale degree. I hope this changes eventually but don't expect it to happen soon.

I have not used them yet formally as a part of any course, but DD14 has watched a lot of it on her own in her free time and brought my attention to some of them.

I personally thought Harvard's Justice was done quite well and very high school friendly (level-wise I mean, plus with all readings, discussions questions on several level, discussions online and the lessons themselves).

I think it is great universities make this possible: they "demystify" the level of learning there and get you an insight into what goes on and, even without formal recognition, you do get help with your studies if you are studying something related. I wish more universities did that.

So, I am exploring high school resources. . . and have downloaded my first college 'open course'. Political Science from Yale's Open Courses.

http://oyc.yale.edu/political-science/introduction-to-political-philosophy/content/downloads

I was able to get all of the readings in epub format, then used Calibre to convert them to mobi format, and they're now beautifully on the kids' kindle (and will be on my kindle as soon as I get it from upstairs). So, all the readings are 100% free and paperless.

I am in the process of downloading all of the video lectures (and will do the audio only formats, too, if they prove to be w/o visual elements) from itunes university.

Every resource appears to be in tidy order. . .

I am going to take the course myself over the next little while before deciding if/when my dd is ready for it. It's sort of an experiment in the technology.

From what I can see so far, it looks like a pretty spectacular technology. I wonder how much of the kids highschool (advanced/AP level) course work we can/should get from these amazing open courses that many elite colleges are putting out there.

It is really amazing.

What do you all think? Have any of you taken any of these courses? What do you think?

Haven't used any of them yet, but they look great. Thanks for the link!

However, we do keep lots of notes here. A tree probably dies every day each of my kids has school work to do.

Grin... and I can't imagine really reading a book without writing in it. I underline important passages, make comments, etc. If I don't mark, then I haven't really read.:)

Christine

AcademicEarth.org takes the free video lectures available on line and organizes them by school, subject and ratings. Saves a little search/browsing time!

Universities:

Berkeley

Columbia

Harvard

Khan Academy

Maryland

Michigan

MIT

Norwich

NYU

Princeton

Stanford

UCLA

UNSW

USC

Yale

THANK YOU!!! What an awesome site. I have spent hours on the individual sites reseraching courses. This is so much better!!

I write in my paperback books too. I like taking notes in the margin, underlining, etc. I've gone back to my college textbooks and it is a trip down memory lane seeing what I wrote in the margins. I can not get the hang of highlighting on my Kindle. It is very cumbersome to me.

Thanks!! This is the best site I've seen this year. :D

AcademicEarth.org takes the free video lectures available on line and organizes them by school, subject and ratings. Saves a little search/browsing time!

Universities:

Berkeley

Columbia

Harvard

Khan Academy

Maryland

Michigan

MIT

Norwich

NYU

Princeton

Stanford

UCLA

UNSW

USC

Yale

I first learned to do this in Philosophy in college where we were obliged to turn in the text for a grade on the notes we took in the margin. I've never thought twice about it since - except with your post.;)

Joan

Universities:

Berkeley

Columbia

Harvard

Khan Academy

Maryland

Michigan

MIT

Norwich

NYU

Princeton

Stanford