Menu

Scenic vacations in the lower 48 states?

Cumberland Gap in Tennessee

Redwoods on the North Coast of California

Mt Shasta (California)

Grand Tetons National Park

Custer State Park, in South Dakota (awesome!)

Big Sur (CA)

Great Smokey Mountains National Park

Driving the Pacific Coast Highway from top to bottom!

Yosemite, CA

Monument Valley, UT

Zion National Park, UT

Bryce Canyon, UT

(Wow - looking at this list - I am feeling very lucky to have been all these places!!!)

I can't say enough good things about Custer SP and the area around it. It really is amazing - and never crowded (except during the week of the Sturgis rally).

National Parks all the way!!!!

We live in WA and are within driving distance of Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens, Olympic National Park, Northern Cascades... Of those, I would say Olympic National Park has the most to offer in terms of scenery and variety (Pacific Ocean, Olympics mountain range, the Hoh Rainforest, Sol Duc Hot Springs....)

We also really enjoyed Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, the Grand Canyon, Arches and Bryce Canyon, Yosemite.... But for a great, one-stop shop with beaches, mountains, forests, tide pools, hot springs, waterfalls.... you can't beat Olympic National Park.

Our favorite- Adirondacks in NY State-- lots of great hiking, not very commercial.

We also love Acadia NP in Maine.

Agree with UP of Michigan and N. Minnesota.

We also loved our trip to Glacier National Park in Montana.

Honestly, Arkansas is one of my favorite places! Hot Springs National Park is beautiful with lots of history. It was the first national reserve set aside by Andrew Jackson. www.arkansas.com Little ROck is the site of the Clinton Presidential Library, Central High School, and more. We have the Ozark Mountains and the Delta Plains. http://www.nps.gov/applications/parksearch/state.cfm?st=ar

Agree with UP of Michigan and N. Minnesota.

:iagree: Presque Isle is awesome, Tahquomenon Falls in MI, anything on Lake Superior, and Itasca area in MN.

I'm glad to see so many people mention Custer SD, because we'll be out that way for the first time this summer.

While we lived in California, we enjoyed the Mammoth Lakes area quite a bit. Yellowstone is nice and lots to learn there. We traveled for about 6 months in 2010 and saw some beautiful scenery in Utah by Mt Timpanogas, the Devils Tower in Wyoming is really more picturesque than we ever would have imagined, Mt Rushmore was a blast (and we were even there during the Sturgis event!), and definitely yes on Custer, SD. Last spring, I took the kids to the Laura Ingalls Wilder home site in Missouri. I thought that was pretty. The state of Vermont is just gorgeous IMHO!! If you can make it far north to Maine, the coast is just breathtaking! Northern Idaho is beautiful- specifically Lake Coeur d'Alene, Wyoming is awesome too. Now that we have moved, we cant wait to hit Glacier and Olympic NPs... as well as Mt Saint Helens and others.. Have fun on your adventures!

Edited by sassyscrapperinid

We definitely can't afford Hawaii or Alaska anytime in the near future. What are your favourite destinations that are pretty in the US? (I'm not looking for disney or theme parks, but pretty mountains, ocean views, or trees!)

So much beauty, all over the country. Look at National Parks, then state parks.

Here in Colorado, places I have not seen mentioned yet-

Sand Dunes Nat'l Park

Black Canyon of the Gunnison

Royal Gorge

Garden of the Gods

Boulder Mountain Parks

Durango area/ Cliff Dwellings

Steamboat Springs

(Makes me feel like renting a camper and hitting the road!)

I don't see many suggestions for the East Coast so here is a start.

Florida Keys

Everglades, FL

Highlands & Ashville, NC (Lots of waterfalls in this area, and there are places where you can hike part of the Appalachian Trail.)

The Blue Ridge Parkway

Blackwater Falls, WV

Whitewater Rafting on the New River or Cheat River in WV

Lancaster, PA

Stone Mountain, GA

Charleston, SC is a beautiful historical city with lots of walking

We definitely can't afford Hawaii or Alaska anytime in the near future. What are your favourite destinations that are pretty in the US? (I'm not looking for disney or theme parks, but pretty mountains, ocean views, or trees!)

I've always had as a dream vacation a beach house near Kitty Hawk, NC during the off season. I'd like it to be gentle enough weather for an occasional foray to watch the waves, but blustery enough to justify spending hours in a comfy chair working through a stack of books.

We've spent a lot of time in the Allegeny Mts.

On our way to DC, we got a little lost and ended up near Ft. Necessity. Seems that this used to be quite the vacation spot.

The area around Mammoth Cave KY is lovely and these days isn't all that busy. I'd love to get a cabin or a couple guest rooms up there and spend my days hiking trails.

The Shenandoahs are beautiful.

We love the beach!

Charleston, SC

Gulf Shores, AL (or any other quiet beach on the Gulf coast)

Hilton Head, SC (we only go spring or fall, never summer!)

The Outer Banks in NC

Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard, MA

For East coast, gentle mountains, we like:

Chattanooga, TN

Western NC

Anywhere on Skyline Drive in the Blue Ridge

Vermont

New Hampshire - the Presidentials are fun hiking