Non-dairy cookies?

Vegetable shortening or walnut oil.

Walnut oil sounds intriguing.

Coconut oil

Crisco Butter-Flavored Shortening

Vegetable oil

Certain margarines are dairy-free

Spectrum shortening

Enjoy your cookies! (And, don't forget you can get dairy-free chocolate chips, too.)

Please tell me where. This is all very new to us. Dh has been off dairy for 2.5 weeks now. It isn't difficult, just time consuming and there is a learning curve.

I've had luck with coconut oil or you could try one of these recipes:

MOLASSES COOKIES

Ingredients :

3/4 c. bacon grease

1 c. sugar

1 egg

2 1/4 c. flour

1/4 tsp. salt

2 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. ginger

1 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. cloves

4 tbsp. molasses

Preparation :

Mix all ingredients together. Shape into small balls. Roll in

sugar. Grease baking sheet very lightly and bake at 275 degrees

about 15 minutes.

----------------------------------

DEPRESSION ERA OATMEAL COOKIES

Ingredients :

1 c. raisins, boiled and cooled (save

juice)

2 eggs

2 c. flour

1 tsp. baking soda

1 c. sugar

1 c. bacon grease

5 tbsp. raisin juice

2 c. oatmeal

1/8 tsp. cloves

Preparation :

Mix and drop by teaspoonful on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at

350 degrees until light brown.

----------------------------------

BACON GREASE COOKIES

Ingredients :

1 c. bacon grease or lard

1 c. sugar

1 egg, beaten

4 tbsp. molasses

2 c. flour

1 tsp. salt

2 tsp. soda

1/2 tsp. ginger

1/2 tsp. cloves

1 tsp. cinnamon

Preparation :

Sift dry ingredients together. Stir in bacon grease and egg.

Roll in balls. Roll balls in sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12

minutes.

:D

I just made a batch of snickerdoodles with EVOO instead of shortening because we like them that way (not because we need non-dairy). They come out perfect! Most other recipes can use EVOO in place of butter, though you might need add just a little more flour if it gets too runny.

Enjoy Life foods has dairy free chocolate chips (and nut free too!). Yes, they're expensive (eek costs) but they're good. They also have safe candy bars. You can ask if your grocery store carries (or will order) them. You can also buy on amazon but you've got to buy a full box & that's really eeek in costs.

Earth Balance has margarine sticks too.

I think it tastes good & I'm okay using it on popcorn too as well as baking.

Going non-dairy was pretty tough, but we've managed.

Good luck with it!

:iagree:

Earth Balance works great. I also use Enjoy Life chocolate chips.

It does make for REALLY expensive cookies but sometimes I get desperate. *cries into her pillow*

ETA: I have tried to use coconut oil and it is softer, I would probably cook them less time and definetely put them in the freezer first. My dd doesn't like the taste of coconut so I don't usually use it.

Edited by Sis

Jews make non-dairy desserts, cookies, etc. all the time so we can have dessert after a meat meal. If you do a search on "pareve cookies" or "pareve desserts" you'll find TONS of ideas. :) (Pareve means it has neither meat nor milk ingredients.)

Also, if you're looking for non-dairy things at the grocery, if it has a kosher symbol on it (i.e. an O with a U inside or a K inside, or KSA, or... there's rather a long list!) it will have a D next to the symbol if it's dairy. If not, it's non-dairy. :)

We often use Spectrum shortening here. We can't do dairy or soy and I have a hard time finding the soy-free Earth Balance where we live.

I sometimes sub applesauce for oil or butter in some baking recipes. Depends on what I'm making.............

This is my favorite allergy free baking book. Everything is dairy free in addition to removing other allergens. :001_smile:

Most of the cheaper versions of choc chips don't have dairy in them. I've found them at the grocery store and at Walmart. As always with a food allergy, you just have to stand there and read all the labels. Have you checked out http://www.godairyfree.org/? I was able to find lots of helpful info there like which foods I could order at restaurants and ingredient substitutions. ~HTH

Jews make non-dairy desserts, cookies, etc. all the time so we can have dessert after a meat meal. If you do a search on "pareve cookies" or "pareve desserts" you'll find TONS of ideas. :) (Pareve means it has neither meat nor milk ingredients.)

Also, if you're looking for non-dairy things at the grocery, if it has a kosher symbol on it (i.e. an O with a U inside or a K inside, or KSA, or... there's rather a long list!) it will have a D next to the symbol if it's dairy. If not, it's non-dairy. :)

:blush: D'uh! I knew that.

The last place I live I had a friend that is Jewish. When we got together I'd have to check my food packaging to make sure she could eat what I served.

Thanks ever so much for the reminder.

Jews make non-dairy desserts, cookies, etc. all the time so we can have dessert after a meat meal. If you do a search on "pareve cookies" or "pareve desserts" you'll find TONS of ideas. (Pareve means it has neither meat nor milk ingredients.)

Thanks for that tip!

Is there a store that carries more kosher items than others?

It might make me feel silly when doing things like "Yum! This kosher bread makes a great BLT!" but every little bit helps.

Thank you for the information. I need nondairy items for my dairy allergic daughter.

On the label of Nucoa there is a circle with a U in it and outside of the circle is the word PARVE. I never noticed that before.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this thread is died down, but I thought I would mention a great website for dairy-free recipes. I have made the chocolate cake - amazing that there is no dairy in it, and I like it BETTER than any box mix I have ever tried!

When I was researching chocolate chips, Ghirardelli semi-sweet chips are dairy free (but not the others, strange, I know).

Edited by tuckabella
fixed spelling for Ghirardelli