Menu

Baby Sling/wrap recommendations

Hi!

We're expecting our 4th baby here in May and since I've got a toddler and a very on-the-go preschooler, I figure I may need my hands free quite a bit. :)

For my 3rd baby, a friend lent me a non-adjustable PeanutShell sling which I really didn't use very much. I couldn't get it to fit comfortably on my body and I always felt like baby didn't have enough room and his neck wasn't in good alignment.

I was wondering if you ladies could give me some recommendations on a sling or wrap that's worked well for you, or what hasn't been easy to use/comfortable.

Thanks!

I like using a mei tai for newborn babies, using a front carry (I have a Babyhawk). I also like using it with toddlers, carrying them on my back.

For about 5mo-toddler, I like using a ring sling. Mine is homemade, but my friend had a Maya Wrap that she loved and it fits about the same. I used the directions from here: http://sleepingbaby.net/ and I believe she sells already-made slings as well. If you make one, you need to buy the right slings...there's a link on the site to buy them.

I have an EllaRoo wrap that I bought for baby #4, and he lived in it for about a year. It's like a Moby, but the fabric is stronger so as the baby gets bigger the wrap holds better. ds is 17 months now and he still likes to go in the wrap if we're out somewhere.

I really love the versatility of a wrap - front carries, back carries, sling type carries - they do it all. There is a little bit of a learning curve, but the only thing I've really had trouble getting the hang of is the back carries, and I haven't really tried more than 2 or 3 times. The basic front carries that you would use for a newborn are very simple!

I had big babies and started out with a ring sling which I loved, but I had to switch to the Ergo baby carrier at 4 months after a month of nothing (19 lbs at 3 months old). Anyway... just be ready to switch at about 17 lbs or your shoulders will kill you.

The ring sling was perfect for nursing and worked as a cover up at the same time. Then with the Ergo I could even nurse while grocery shopping. I still have my Ergo in case of emergencies... it can hold any sized person on your back.

It's been a long time, but I also loved my Moby Wrap. When I first saw them, I though there was no way I was ever going to figure out one of those. But after getting DD tied to the front of me, and how stretchy soft the fabric was, I loved it. Small learning curve, but if I can figure it out, most anyone could. Super comfy.

I also had an adjustable sling that worked great. It was a wahm though, who is now out of business.

I have a home-made wrap, like a Moby, a Maya Wrap, and an Ergo. The moby is probably my least favorite because, at least for me, it was too much trouble to tie it all up every time I needed to put my daughters in. I loved the Maya (which I got on Ebay almost new for $25) for my daughter when she was first born, and I still use it occasionally around the house, primarily on my hip. I stopped using it as soon as much as we could switch to the Ergo (around 3 months for her, she's a big girl). Now I use the Ergo. I use it while at the store so that I can keep big sister in the cart and I use it most places we go. I even occasionally use it for big sister. It really is my favorite.