Menu

boy room toy storage, mainly legos....

I'm looking for other options that my boys can store their toys in their room right now, something that is more concealed and doesn't make the room look so messy when not in use. They have a desk that they don't use and it has a bunch of "junk" in it, I think I'll get rid of it during our garage sale in April, and then purchase something else, I think I'll start watching Craigslist for ideas of things for storage that I might not think of, or might work.....I'm open for suggestions though.

my son's Duplos are in a large, narrow depth plastic box on wheels that rolls under his bed. We keep the top off so he pulls it out, plays with them, then rolls back

If he wants to keep a creation together, it can display on a shelf or his dresser top. But the pieces go back in the box and back under his bed when he's done.

These are my favorites. They are see-through, so they may not be as concealed as you like, but the boys love them.

They sort their Legos by color.

This is their very unfinished toy room, so ignore the old carpet and need-to-paint walls. ;) It's next winter's project. I plan to get bins for their gaming stuff if I can find some that fit in the shelves. That way, it won't be so visible. Also, some of it's going to be stored in the closet as soon as that is organized.

You can buy them here:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-7-Drawer-Cart-Set-of-2/10401064

Our eldest son had plastic drawers as well which were stored under a table he used to build and display his creations.

post-1122-13535084618669_thumb.jpg

post-1122-13535084619072_thumb.jpg

post-1122-13535084618669_thumb.jpg

post-1122-13535084619072_thumb.jpg

Edited by nestof3

my son's Duplos are in a large, narrow depth plastic box on wheels that rolls under his bed. We keep the top off so he pulls it out, plays with them, then rolls back

If he wants to keep a creation together, it can display on a shelf or his dresser top. But the pieces go back in the box and back under his bed when he's done.

My ds has three under-the-bed storage bins that he keeps the majority of his Lego pieces in. He also has a bookcase with smaller plastic bins that he uses for special pieces and in process projects. He also displays his finished projects on his bookcase.

In our playroom/school room, we have one wall of ikea pax cabinets, the shallow ones, with bins (from Ikea and Sterilite) inside for legos. They also hold puzzles, board games and some of the children's books (each kid also has a book shelf in his room). I love them because you shut the doors and voila, tidiness.

No matter the storage system, the most difficult part is that it doesn't work unless the kids put away their play projects before getting out something else!

Domestic engineer, thanks for the link to your friends blog. I think I love her lego set up. Is there a chance you could ask her how it's working out two months later. I'd ask on her blog but I have no idea how. I don't think I can just post a question/comment. I'd also love to know the specifics of the tool kit, and how many legos it holds (very roughly, of course). Also, are those sharp, toddler-damaging corners? And does the top really work as a building area and do things stay sorted and get put away by the kids? Thank you!

As an aside, I have always wanted one of these for my kitchen: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&productId=202033596&R=202033596

But I'd need an entirely different kitchen, of course.

Edited by yellowperch

These are my favorites. They are see-through, so they may not be as concealed as you like, but the boys love them.

They sort their Legos by color.

My son has the same as Dawn's sons, but just one stack of drawers for now. He's a little older and his Legos were no longer contained in one drawer under his bed. He sorts his now by color also. I like these drawers because they take up little floor space, and if he chose, he could put the whole thing in his closet instead.

My son has 2 of these shelves in his room that we purchased at Target when they were on sale for $29. He has some shelves that he keeps his "built" Lego sets in. His loose Lego's he likes to keep in see through plastic containers like these at Walmart. Other shelves have these storage bins that we bought when they were on sale as well. They fit in the shelf perfectly. We use these for all of his other loose toys, Hot Wheels cars, Star Wars figures, army men, etc...

This shelving unit is indestructible & will be used forever in one place or another. (I've bought at least 5. . .)

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=152201&navAction=push

with these also indestructible dish pans which fit great (two to a shelf)

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=100200&navAction=

Love this storage set up in ds's room. He still can't keep it clean, but at least it is very easy to sweep everything into its rightful bin.

These items are utterly indestructible. I am confident they'll be in use in my basement or garage until some kid snags them from us. LOVE THEM.

This shelving unit is indestructible & will be used forever in one place or another. (I've bought at least 5. . .)

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=152201&navAction=push

with these also indestructible dish pans which fit great (two to a shelf)

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=100200&navAction=

Love this storage set up in ds's room. He still can't keep it clean, but at least it is very easy to sweep everything into its rightful bin.

These items are utterly indestructible. I am confident they'll be in use in my basement or garage until some kid snags them from us. LOVE THEM.

Thanks, I really like this idea the best for their room, they have bunk beds that have drawers underneath already for clothing, I just want one simple idea instead of three crappy bookshelves that they already have and misc. type of containers. We're having a garage sale in a few weeks and I could go ahead and have some type of plan in place to get rid of what we have and then buy what I want.

Thanks,

Phlox