Menu

Kindle/Nook?

I know there was a super long thread about this awhile back, but I didn't read it.:lol: My DH wants to get me one, and I'm really not sure which one to get. My dh likes the look of the NOOK color, he is in to high tech stuff. I never shop with Barnes and Noble, so I wonder if their ebooks are decently priced. Any thoughts?

Be sure to personally see the Nook color before making a decision. It is not e-ink--it is a computer screen. That means you can't read it with light over your shoulder and it is (in my opinion) hard on the eyes.

You can see Kindles at Target. I have a Kindle and I adore it.

Prices for ebooks are fairly similar.

I love my (B&W) Nook. I'm sure if I had a Kindle, I would love that just as much.

B&N ebooks seem very reasonably priced to me. I can't even buy a paperback here for $6, so finding my favorite mystery and sci-fi writers for under $5 seems like a bargain.

I am also reading alot of free books, both from B&N and from project gutenberg.

I found the white edge around the Nook had too much glare and it distracted me. I didn't like the way it felt in my hands.

The Kindle was out because I wanted easy access to library books.

I chose Kobo because it felt the best in my hands and gave me access to the library. It was also cheaper than the other two.

I love my Nook Color.

You can't read it in the sun (I tried it to see what everyone was talking about) but I never tried to read in the sun before anyway, so that's not an issue here.

E-Books are competitively priced.

Kokotg posted about the Philadelphia Free Library allowing non residents to check out ebooks for $15/yr...just got my card in the mail this week and can't wait to break it in!

Be sure to personally see the Nook color before making a decision. It is not e-ink--it is a computer screen. That means you can't read it with light over your shoulder and it is (in my opinion) hard on the eyes.

The Nook (not Nook Color) is e-ink. I don't have any problems reading it.:001_smile:

I loved our Kindle for about 3-1/2 months until the screen "cracked." (No, we didn't drop it. We laid it on the dining room table one day. Three hours later I picked it up again, and the screen had a "cracked" appearance.) Amazon quickly sent us a replacement, which "cracked" in 4 days, and another replacement that lasted less than 1 day because it had a formatting problem and some of the buttons didn't work. After that, dh said he didn't want any more replacements.

I think I am going to wait until September to buy another ereader for our new school year. I have been looking at these Bebooks -- they look a lot more flexible than either the Kindle or Nook.... http://mybebook.com/store/

Take care,

Suzanne

I want an e-reader for pdf online free ebooks and library books, so a Kindle is out for me. I also want Eink so color Nook is out then too. So, I'm narrowing down between b&w Nook and a Sony E-reader.

I have the latest gen Kindle, and you can definitely put the free online pdf's on there.

Are you saying that you can't download PDF ebooks onto the NOOK color? What exactly can you download onto each type? I really do not know much of anything about these things.

You can download books onto the Nook.

The Nook has a microSD slot and my dh reads pdfs on it from a sd card all the time. :)

I have downloaded several books from the Project Gutenberg website

If you didn't realize your nook had a SD slot look at the loop in the corner, flip up the metal thing on it. I didn't actually see it at first. :lol:

Edited by Sis

Hehe, I do not have an E-reader at all yet. In fact I really know very little about them. My sister bought a Kindle, and I was not overly impressed with it. My dh and and read a bunch of reviews about the NOOK color, and they look awesome to us. I think we might just go crazy and buy one.:lol: I'm usually a cheap skate and don't like buying expensive things.

I want an e-reader for pdf online free ebooks and library books, so a Kindle is out for me. I also want Eink so color Nook is out then too. So, I'm narrowing down between b&w Nook and a Sony E-reader.

I have both the Nook and the Sony. My sony is older since I don't like touch screen. I love them both but the kids have inherited the Sony. After 2 yrs of daily use, the battery doesn't last very long any more.

Hehe, I do not have an E-reader at all yet. In fact I really know very little about them. My sister bought a Kindle, and I was not overly impressed with it. My dh and and read a bunch of reviews about the NOOK color, and they look awesome to us. I think we might just go crazy and buy one.:lol: I'm usually a cheap skate and don't like buying expensive things.

I'm right there with you! I usually don't like to buy expensive things, and this to me is expensive. I have been thinking about getting an e-reader to put some really old books that are free online but expensive to buy IRL.

I probably won't get one for another few months or so, but its hard to choose. I think I've decided the Nook... but E-ink or color? So many options!

Does anyone know if the Nook or any other of the reads will also do audio books too?

I found the white edge around the Nook had too much glare and it distracted me. I didn't like the way it felt in my hands.

The Kindle was out because I wanted easy access to library books.

I chose Kobo because it felt the best in my hands and gave me access to the library. It was also cheaper than the other two.

You can buy rubbery/gel like grips to go around the frame in different colors (including charcoal) or even get a decorative skin.

To the OP: the original Nook, hands down (not the NookColor).

Because of the display, I did not get the Nook color. I wanted something that looked like a page in my book. Yes, I was going to have to treat it much like a book, but that was fine with me. I purchased the Nook light and keeper. I am very pleased with both. Prices are pretty much the same. I get magazines too, but I read them on the computer in the Nook app for the pc. The Nook is epub files and pdf, but you can store music and other files for transport. I find myself not reaching for a book now. I am pleased and so is my oldest. We enjoy many of the features. I imagine using SOTW mp3 and pdf next school year. :) I haven't tried it yet, but I plan on it.

http://news.cnet.com/kindle-vs-nook-vs-ipad-which-e-book-reader-should-you-buy was helpful to me before I made it over to Best Buy to check the e-readers all out at once. The Kobo is attractive too. Basically you have to decide what you want to do with it. To me, the color nook is a tablet..I'd go for ipad first. I tried Kindle on PC to see how I liked reading on the screen, but really too tiring for my vision. I wanted something to put in my bag and have readily available..latest kindle, wifi only, won because I wanted e-ink, no touch screen, changeable text size and small &light physical size. Library books can be downloaded (NYers can get a NYC public library card for free to expand the offerings).

The only real problem is that some of the sci fi I want isn't available...for ex. my son picked Asimov short stories to read for his English class, found the library system had removed the volume that he read a few years ago and put it in to storage. Isn't available yet on Kindle (Nine Tomorrows if you're wondering which book). It's also saving a bit of money as some magazine subscriptions are cheaper and required reading for English classes is free because many of the pieces are no longer copyrighted. I can also download papers in pdf and read them (no fee). It has audio also, but not all books are text-to-speech yet. I didn't bother with the scrabble game and such but those are available too. It also goes to websites, but it is a little clunky to read the newspaper for free...the subscription version is better.

You may want to download Calibre. I believe that program can convert files. Maybe you can find it elsewhere and convert it for your Kindle??? Check the NookBoards.

And more versatile ;) (nm, I meant against the Kindle...don't know about the Kobo)

Yes, I agree that it is more versatile than Kindle in regards to DRM. The Nook has games you can play and some rudimentary web access, right? Kobo doesn't have that, true. It's just a standard e-ink reader with wi-fi, an SD slot, and it doesn't block library access, which is exactly what I wanted.

I feel like sometimes I come across as a Kobo zealot, but it never gets mentioned in these threads and I always root for the underdog :001_smile:. For the price($99), I think it's such a nifty little e-reader.

Yes, I agree that it is more versatile than Kindle in regards to DRM. The Nook has games you can play and some rudimentary web access, right? Kobo doesn't have that, true. It's just a standard e-ink reader with wi-fi, an SD slot, and it doesn't block library access, which is exactly what I wanted.

I feel like sometimes I come across as a Kobo zealot, but it never gets mentioned in these threads and I always root for the underdog :001_smile:. For the price($99), I think it's such a nifty little e-reader.

Eh, I'm a Nook zealot, so you're in good company ;) :D It's good to hear about the ones that rarely get mentioned as well.

I always read these threads, and keep thinking I'll buy one or the other...but I never do. :confused: I don't know, I think I am just not an e-reader person.

But I do think it would be useful for school, so I always tune in. They keep going down in price, so I guess waiting couldn't hurt. ;)

FWIW, I am leaning towards the Nook, because I can get books from the library and share books with all of my friends who have a Nook. :001_smile: