Menu

Hoping someone here can give me some insight/feedback. Admittedly, this has *nothing* to do with homeschooling, so my apologies in advance...

Say there's someone out there receiving Disability. Not much of a work history in the 10 years prior to starting benefits. Over the last few years, this person has been getting $3,000+ dollars/month from a benefactor-relative, so $36,000+/year.

Is this the sweetest deal ever? Is it a legal one? Wondering if I should look up the phone number to report fraud. But I can't exactly un-ring that bell if I'm wrong.

Thanks for letting me ponder out loud.

Hoping someone here can give me some insight/feedback. Admittedly, this has *nothing* to do with homeschooling, so my apologies in advance...

Say there's someone out there receiving Disability. Not much of a work history in the 10 years prior to starting benefits. Over the last few years, this person has been getting $3,000+ dollars/month from a benefactor-relative, so $36,000+/year.

Is this the sweetest deal ever? Is it a legal one? Wondering if I should look up the phone number to report fraud. But I can't exactly un-ring that bell if I'm wrong.

My question would be what is the motive behind reporting what you think might be fraud? Who else might be affected if it is investigated? What is the nature of the disability?

I'm not sure if disability is like Food Stamps in which every source of cash is subject to changing benefits. Have you looked into that?

AKAIK, disability is based solely on the amount of money that you made while working regardless of any additional sources of income that you may have now (except perhaps for other monies directly due to the disability such as from the employer or perhaps a lawsuit). It is much like SS in that if you wait until the highest required age, then you receive your SS based on your previous income regardless of how much money you currently have. Even Bill Gates is entitled to SS when he reaches retirement age. These are entitlement programs. They are not the same as need based ones such as Food Stamp and AFIDC.

I said "receiving disability," not that he's actually disabled. He's able to get himself to the liquor store handily enough. And he's able to gamble a great deal, as well. And if it's coming out of his mouth, you can assume that it's a lie. As a taxpayer, I'm wondering if his whole situation is a scam.

I can tell you that it is very difficult to get disability. I have been trying to do so for the past year. There is no question that I am disabled. The problem is that I waited too long to apply and then the case worker wrote or transcribed the wrong date by ten years (2009 instead of 1999). I have been denied twice already because "there has been no change in my situation." Although they have not acknowledged that they wrote the wrong date down in the first place.

SSI is notorious for turning applications down the first few times a person tries even if they know that the person is disabled and will eventually get it. I have met exceedingly few people who had no problems getting disability. For the record there are many different types of disability not all of which manifest physcially or are obvious to the average person. Many mental illness and developmental illness also qualify.

AKAIK, disability is based solely on the amount of money that you made while working regardless of any additional sources of income that you may have now (except perhaps for other monies directly due to the disability such as from the employer or perhaps a lawsuit). It is much like SS in that if you wait until the highest required age, then you receive your SS based on your previous income regardless of how much money you currently have. Even Bill Gates is entitled to SS when he reaches retirement age. These are entitlement programs. They are not the same as need based ones such as Food Stamp and AFIDC.

Are you certain of this, because I thought SSI disability differed from SSI for retirement.

In any event, to the OP, I would be hesitant to jump to any conclusions. To claim SSI you need to be evaluated by a contracted doctor who has to make a decision on ability to work.

The rules for Disability are strict.

In our state, one is limited by how much one may earn per month. It is less than $700/month, if I remember correctly.

Gifts must be declared; even if one receives $50 from a family member, it must be declared. Most workers will look the other way for the sake of a $50 Christmas gift, but I have heard of at least one local worker who made a ridiculous stink for the guy who received the $50 gift and did not declare it. The recipient may already be declaring the gift.

In our state, for the sake of Medicare/Medicaid, one must fill out financial statements every 6 months. He may be declaring it already in that way. Or he may have private insurance and not have to fill out forms that often.

Individuals on Disability are also evaluated every few years to determine whether they are still disabled. Even those with major birth defects (i.e. Downs' Syndrome) must be evaluated to see if the D.S. has magically gone away. The government workers are always behind in their evaluations because of being understaffed. One can also avoid being evaluated in our state if one is attending college or working on a regular basis.

$3000/month is quite a bit more than $50. I would make the call if you could do it anonymously.

Uh, no, you should mind your own trouble. ;) (Don't borrow trouble is one of my favorite sayings.)

That someone on SSI is getting additional help from a relative is not your concern. I have never dealt with the SSI system, but I would doubt that financial gifts from family would be frowned on. For instance, I believe that young people who are completely financially supported by parents can receive SSI disability, even if they are living in the parent's home and receiving vast support.

If I had a close relative on SSI, I'd surely help them out financially as well to the extent I was able. SSI is bare minimum survival IMHO, and I would feel responsible to do more for my family than simply leave it to the gov't. That impulse to take care of your family should not make them ineligible for services. Why would the gov't punish people for doing the right thing? (OK, yah, I know it happens. . .)

While we're on the topic of cheating the gov't. . . Do you pay state sales tax (on your income tax form typically -- it's called "Use Tax" in our state) on all your online purchases? Really? Most states require that. . . Would you report someone who did not?

Do you know anyone who works for cash? Do you pay anyone in cash? Do you ever barter? Are you aware that those are all taxable events? Are you also aware that ignorance of the law is not a defense?

So, my point with the above is not to call anyone out, but just to point out that virtually everyone you know is probably cheating a bit here or there on their taxes, etc, even if they are not really a big tax cheat. So, if you wouldn't report all those people, then why this one? It seems to me that those feelings are usually about YOU, not THEM.

I'm a MYOB kind of person when it comes to that sort of thing. Seriously, you don't know the details nor WHY he's receiving disability (simply because he can walk doesn't mean that he doesn't have some psychological issue...whether you agree that he can work or not is beside the point. I know people that are living off of disability, that have a disability, but have seen others that have the same disability hold a job...still, not my business).

Are you certain of this, because I thought SSI disability differed from SSI for retirement.

In any event, to the OP, I would be hesitant to jump to any conclusions. To claim SSI you need to be evaluated by a contracted doctor who has to make a decision on ability to work.

You know now that you mentioned this I do remember that there were two different programs regarding disability one was SSI (Supplemental Security Income) which is income based (I don't qualify so I don't know much about it) and then regular disablity which is as I described above. Nowhere in any of my paperwork for regular disability does it ever ask about income, assets, or ongoing financial support. My understanding from what I have been told by my case worker is that regular disability (not SSI) is based solely on your previous wages.

It seems to me that SSI disability works the same as SSI if you retire before the maximum age whereas regular disability works the same as SS if your retire after the maximum age.

From a random website (can't vouch for it but it looked reasonable):

SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY INSURANCE (SSDI) is a payroll funded insurance scheme administered by the Social Security Administration as per the mandate provided to it by the US Government. The aim of the program is to provide income during the period of disability that prevents the person from working, and guarantee an income for those who are unable to work again.

The eligibility criteria of SSDI do not include any criteria pertaining to income. It is also not affected by any other Disability Insurance payments. Hence the different kind of earned and unearned incomes do not adversely affect the Social Security disability benefits. Notably, SSDI is an insurance program funded by the Social Security Trust Fund.

From a random website (can't vouch for it but it looked reasonable):

SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY INSURANCE (SSDI) is a payroll funded insurance scheme administered by the Social Security Administration as per the mandate provided to it by the US Government. The aim of the program is to provide income during the period of disability that prevents the person from working, and guarantee an income for those who are unable to work again.

The eligibility criteria of SSDI do not include any criteria pertaining to income. It is also not affected by any other Disability Insurance payments. Hence the different kind of earned and unearned incomes do not adversely affect the Social Security disability benefits. Notably, SSDI is an insurance program funded by the Social Security Trust Fund.

This is my understanding and the restrictions that duckens listed above sound like the ones that apply to SSI which is a different program.

I said "receiving disability," not that he's actually disabled. He's able to get himself to the liquor store handily enough. And he's able to gamble a great deal, as well. And if it's coming out of his mouth, you can assume that it's a lie. As a taxpayer, I'm wondering if his whole situation is a scam.

From what I know it is extremely hard to get SSDI. In fact many who have been at death's door have been turned down. Plus, not all disabilities are visible.

um... I disagree with those who said to MYOB. It certainly is your business if you pay taxes.

In light of the budget disaster, the government is cracking down on cheaters in every federally funded program. A recent news program reported that by cross-checking those receiving SSDI with employees at the federal level, they found many employees collecting disability while working full-time. One in five Americans claims a disability at this point, and it's only going to get worse as the population continues to age.

The social security system is in trouble. I think it's the responsibility of every citizen to ensure it will be there for us and our kids. It's not your job to determine if this person deserves what he's getting. You report a suspicion; an investigator makes the determination.

Edited by Mejane

Actually, the limits I listed are for Disability in our state (Iowa). I have a close friend who works with special needs adults, and those are the rules.

One thing to keep in mind is that Social Security was overhauled in the 90s. States were given the flexibility to create their own programs concerning benefits and to encourage people to return to work after becoming disabled. It is possible that our state is more strict than others.

I would still telephone. $3K/month ($36K/year) is a lot of money as a gift from a family member.

Even if the individual was not on SSDI, one would be required to declare anything over $10K to the IRS. (The $10K number may have been increased in recent years; $10K used to be the amount family members could give to one another tax free).

If the family member wants to still help the recipient, there are other ways to be more .... subtle ..... about the "gift." They could maintain a working vehicle for the recipient. They could pay any workers (plumber, electrician, snow removal) to maintain the recipient's home.

I'm disabled, though I don't receive disability (I can't take the meds, and you have to be on meds for three months to even apply). I have epilepsy, and my seizures are extremely severe. When I do have them, I usually have at least two close together, and each lasts fifteen minutes. My epilepsy is also photosensitive, which means I have about an hour around fluorescent lights before I start having auras. I can't use the CRT monitors at all.

I would be perfectly able to get to the liquor store and to buy a scratch ticket if I wanted. You might want to learn a bit more about disabilites before assuming everyone not in a wheelchair isn't really disabled.

And I agree- mind your own business.

I have known 3 people who have, under false pretenses, received disability/social security. (I'm not sure of the differences in the programs.) These people discussed how they would hide certain things in order to get what they wanted. Other people in their families and communities helped them and did this themselves. In some American subcultures it is a fairly popular thing to do.

The only reason I did not report these people is that they were family members (not by blood -- not that that matters) and doing so would have made life VERY VERY difficult for my husband, my children, and myself for many many years. I did complain to my husband frequently. I did try to get him to talk some sense into them. It didn't work. I couldn't have pushed it further without alienating us from part of our family and possibly even ending my marriage. Sigh. Sucks, really.

Just posting to give another possibility -- SSI/Disability fraud DOES happen and it is somewhat common in some populations. If the OP suspects it... well, what *should* people who suspect real fraud DO?

As a side note, I know at least one person who is on state disability permanently due to 'mental deficit'. They actually seem to be fairly stable mentally....until you spend some time with them.....and then it all. makes. sense (or no sense as the case may be).

um... I disagree with those who said to MYOB. It certainly is your business if you pay taxes. :glare:

In light of the budget disaster, the government is cracking down on cheaters in every federally funded program. A recent news program reported that by cross-checking those receiving SSI with employees at the federal level, they found many employees collecting disability while working full-time. One in five Americans claims a disability at this point, and it's only going to get worse as the population continues to age.

The social security system is in trouble. I think it's the responsibility of every citizen to ensure it will be there for us and our kids. It's not your job to determine if this person deserves what he's getting. You report a suspicion; an investigator makes the determination.

But a determination has already been made based on the record, not assumptions and possibly inaccurate information. The OP is thinking of reporting him because:

1. She doesn't believe he's really has a disability based on her observations (which include her own biases on what constitutes a disability). I would argue that someone much more qualified than her has determined that he does indeed meet the criteria for disability; and

2. She believes he is being helped financially by family.

Really, unless you are certain someone is blatantly scamming the system, I would butt out. I know it's easy sometimes to feel frustrated when it is perceived others are milking the system. But you really do not know his individual circumstances. Be grateful for your family, their health, etc., etc., and let it go.

lisa

lisa

It's been at least a week since we've had a thread in which we discuss the amount of fraud in government social assistance programs, how the abuse is rampant and demonstrate our incredible knowledge about who deserves help and who doesn't.

I'm so glad it's here. I was jonesing.

It's been at least a week since we've had a thread in which we discuss the amount of fraud in government social assistance programs, how the abuse is rampant and demonstrate our incredible knowledge about who deserves help and who doesn't.

I was just thinking that. Then I saw this and went, "Ahhh, there it is."

:D Yes, it was time.

Lisa

It is legal if 1) the recipient is disabled and is not receiving wages from work and 2) the recipient has worked enough in the past to qualify for the benefit. Otherwise, yes, they may receive money from a benefactor and still collect disability.

ETA This is what my husband quickly told me (he knows a lot about this), but now he's in the tub, so I don't know the nitty-gritty details. If the individual is scamming and is found out -- he will not be a happy camper. That is seriously frowned upon by Uncle Sam. HTH.

Edited by MBM
more info

Really, unless she is convinced that he is absolutely scamming the system, I would butt out. I know it's easy sometimes to feel frustrated when it is perceived others are milking the system. But you really do not know his individual circumstances. Be grateful for your family, their health, etc., etc., and let it go.

I don't know if this man is cheating, but many do. I have great compassion for people who are truly disabled. They should receive everything to which they're entitled. My grandma was disabled and could never get help. But not everyone who receives benefits deserves them. Benefits are being cut across the board both federally and locally. Perhaps there would be more money for people like Mergath and Kidshappen if the cheaters were outed by those who know but are MTOB. Just a thought.

I think that the disabled individual is very fortunate to have a family member who wants to help him/her out like that.

:iagree: Why would the OP even try to report a situation like this? Most folks who are disability are very down on their luck. Medications alone are outrageously expensive. Not to mention doctor bills. :glare:

I don't know if this man is cheating, but many do. I have great compassion for people who are truly disabled. They should receive everything to which they're entitled. My grandma was disabled and could never get help. But not everyone who receives benefits deserves them. Benefits are being cut across the board both federally and locally. Perhaps there would be more money for people like Mergath and Kidshappen if the cheaters were outed by those who know but are MTOB. Just a thought.

I agree there is fraud and it should be reported. But that is different that believing someone is not disabled based on the reasons OP gave (i.e., he can get to the liquor store). SSA and a medical professional deemed him qualified, and I would respectfully suggest the OP may not understand the spectrum of disabilities, which aren't always apparent to others.

I just try to be very careful about making assumptions about others.

Lisa

:lol::lol::lol:

Being on SSI doesn't preclude earning a wage or having other benefits. There are limitations to the amount that can be earned but it can be quite generous and working is encouraged. It is also very possible that the money may have already been reported and worked into the benefit budget. You would have to have more info before being able to really determine if this is a fraud situation.

My MIL was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer at the beginning of February 2009. I worked on all her paperwork to try and get her qualified for SS disability. SS wanted written documentation from all her doctors- primary, oncologist, etc. I was on the phone with them for hours and delivered more paperwork than you would be believe to our local SS office. All while also managing her care full time. It finally went through and she received her first payment July 1. Unfortunately she had passed away June 30 and the government took the money right back out of her account that weekend.

I never read anything about gifts or limits to money coming in. I just think it would be really hard to get qualified if you really weren't.

If a couple is giving a couple gifts of up to $52,000 it does NOT have to be taxed. One person can give up to $13K to another person as a gift without the recipient paying any tax. So, mom could give $13K each to kid and kid-in-law. Dad could do the same. So, if the person isn't married, then the max would be $26K/year. This is how I understand the gift law anyway, but I'm not expert! :)

My husband just explained this a bit more. He believes a person can make an income of about $700 per month as was previously mentioned by Duckens, but more than that would mean someone would lose their benefit and have to repay all of what was received. (My husband was actually trying to get legislation passed that would change this somewhat so that people would try to get some form of employment, but it didn't work out.)

Usually if the board of an agency is collecting, they will just ask for repayment of benefits received. However, if it's the Inspector General (as opposed to the board), fraud charges could be brought against the recipient. In those cases the IG usually has to find a U.S. attorney who is able to take the case. If the case is small peanuts -- as many are -- they just go for repayment.

Disability is not affected by assets or gifts received. Bill Gates could collect disability if he were totally and permanently disabled (permanently has a special definition here) and he did not receive more than $700 per month in income.

ETA: I will have to ask my husband about the gift disclosure bit, but he's already hit the hay.

Edited by MBM

My disabled son just started getting SSI this year - if he gets money from a job or elsewhere (gifts, etc ) we are supposed to report it, and then he'd get that much less the next month. And, he is not to have more than $2,000 in money/assets or the SSI would stop. So.....

I'd just like to pop in and say that disabilities certainly aren't always obvious.

My mom is a PRIME example.

She is mentally disabled in every conceivable way . . . but you would never know it to spend the day or even the week with her. She is smooth talking, eloquent, beautifully groomed, etc. She would LOVE to work. She loves working. She has talked her way into several jobs, good jobs, make that GREAT jobs, that she isn't even remotely qualified to have.

People just love her. They'd give her the moon and stars if they could. BUT it always ends the same way, with her threatening to kill herself and everyone around her and being carried out on a gurney.

She collects a nice amount of social security disability because she has paid into the pot for many years from her various jobs. I filled out all of her paperwork and took her to all her doctor's appointments and interviews. There is no income requirement. It's based on her previous wages.

Anyone would assume she's able bodied and of sound mind if they met her, but I assure you, she's not.

My disabled son just started getting SSI this year - if he gets money from a job or elsewhere (gifts, etc ) we are supposed to report it, and then he'd get that much less the next month. And, he is not to have more than $2,000 in money/assets or the SSI would stop. So.....

Have you considered setting up a special needs trust for your son? My SIL is also on SSI with the rules you listed and it is helpful her parents set up a trust. One person is the court appointed executor in charge of the assets in the trust and she still gets her SSI/Food Stamps/Medicaid benefits. HTH

Actually, the limits I listed are for Disability in our state (Iowa). I have a close friend who works with special needs adults, and those are the rules.

One thing to keep in mind is that Social Security was overhauled in the 90s. States were given the flexibility to create their own programs concerning benefits and to encourage people to return to work after becoming disabled. It is possible that our state is more strict than others.

I think you are confused or mistaken. I am not an expert at all, but I am pretty confident that you are confusing SSDI and other entitlement programs (SS Retirement) with SSI/Medicaid (welfare). States do indeed vary in how they use the welfare funds, but retirement and disability funds are still federally controlled.

SSDI is a federal program, like SS Retirement. No matter where you live when you retire on SS, you get the same SS benefits. Likewise, for SSDI.

SSDI does not vary by state. There may be additional programs in each state, but the SSDI program is federal and is uniform in rules, etc.

Again, I am not an atty and may be entirely wrong. But, I don't think so.

Ok, wow, didn't realize I was opening the proverbial can of worms here.

(deeep breath)

1.) My OP was a bit vague. I DO know the details. I was trying to be diplomatic/polite/private and just think out loud about an issue I am starting to explore.

2.) My second post was admittedly more flippant than it needed to be. Allow me to elaborate on my "bias" about this individual:

He is a raging alcoholic with a LONG list of criminal arrests. In an effort to be thorough about who I am dealing with here, I have already explored that. You want to discuss whether or not alcoholism is a disease worthy of disability pay? Let's open a new thread and throw down on that. I have strong opinions, but like I said, was trying to start out as diplomatic and even a bit private. BTW, these arrests include beating his wife and narcotics possession, with a few DUI's thrown in for good measure. Maybe being the terror of the family is a disability. If so, and I mean this seriously, I will shake my head, throw up my hands, and return to minding my own business.

I have known this person for over 15 years. For a while, he was increasingly encroaching into my life, but is mostly at bay for now. He will likely be removed from my (and my family's) life completely in the near future.

He has not held a job since around the time that I first crossed paths with him. According to people closest to him, "He is too big of an ******* to keep a job." (including his own brother and uncles)

(Oh, I'm sorry. Am I showing my bias here? Jumping to conclusions? Or was that what a few respondents were doing to me? BTW, I've worked in special ed before. I do not go through life assuming that someone has to be in a wheelchair to be disabled and do not appreciate the declaration that I do.)

The relative-benefactor is also a relative of mine. She was in a position to offer him some financial stability in the hopes that it would bring him some peace. However, that relative-benefactor is getting on in years, and a few other relatives are becoming increasingly concerned about this relationship. He always seems to need MORE money, his offer to find her assisted living has turned into her living with him, and at least one anonymous call (not me) has been made inquring about elder-abuse. Wheels are in motion to have her tested for competency.

I'm trying to figure out 1.) how disability works, how one qualifies, how one maintains in the program, etc -- the workings of the system (I already assume that it is maddeningly flawed, and I sympathize with those not getting what they actually need). Perhaps if I learn more about the system, I can figure out a bit more about this particular situation without having to directly encounter a psycho (sorry, is that biased?) and 2.) what the potential ramifications could be for having an alcoholic parasite with a history of violence and drugs investigated and potentially cut off, even jailed, could be for other players in this scene, including my family. A handful of us are trying to work different angles to solve this whole mess. Exploring this particular issue is my small contribution.

(zaichiki, you and i seem to be in similar boats; my heart goes out to you)

THOSE are my biases about this disabled person. THOSE are the conclusions that I've jumped to. THOSE are the details that I KNOW.

To those of you who offered heart-felt and sincere feedback and insights, I am truly grateful. I haven't been on the board very regularly recently, so I didn't realize that postings about abuses of government programs happened regularly enough to be mocked (apologies for my lack of originality). I figured that there would be knowledgable people here with a variety of experiences. I also thought it would be a better place to "ask around" a bit since it offers more anonymity than Facebook. Some of you have helped to send me in additional directions for further research, and I really do appreciate it.

Unless the alcohol is the primary factor in causing the disability there is no fraud. You can be a crackhead but if you were disabled before the crack use or in some sense that is only one component of the disability then you still qualify by your mental and physical disabilities. Here are the listings and the rules from Social Security Regulations..I always say go the source.

http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/rulings/di/01/SSR82-60-di-01.html

However, that said, he sounds like a really rotten human being and if you are concerned about elder abuse via dementia with depletion of her funds by all means call the elder abuse hotline in your state or city. Alcoholics not in recovery are a flaming pain in the *ss. I hope this information helps you and apologize for not posting it sooner. You know unless you have lived with this absolutely frustrating, abusive, soul grinding crap you have no idea what it feels like to be lied to, stolen from, demeaned, humiliated, ostracized etc .all courtesy of a drug abusing jerk. It is a hell like none other. Give this lady a break.

Valerie,

I'm sorry, it sounds like you're dealing with a complicated, difficult sitiuation. I have a family member with drug abuse issues and I know how emotionally tapping it is.

The thing with this board is, we respond to the information given to us, and it seemed from your initial posts that it was more a "nosy neighbor" situation than a complicated family issue. I know you were trying to not give out too much information, and I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions, but just a bit more of background would have been so helpful in seeing a clearer picture.

good luck,

lisa

Have you considered setting up a special needs trust for your son? My SIL is also on SSI with the rules you listed and it is helpful her parents set up a trust. One person is the court appointed executor in charge of the assets in the trust and she still gets her SSI/Food Stamps/Medicaid benefits. HTH

Yup - I am Mom, Guardian, and Rep Payee!

It was "fun" the last year, getting the guardianship and setting up the trust, getting SSI (still waiting to hear on Medicaid) while helping his fraternal twin apply to college!!!

My fraternal twins - one got all the brains...and the other all the sense of humor!!!!!

If I thought that the older relative was being taken advantage of, I would speak with him/her. If this older relative can be taken advantage of too easily, then I'd help him/her with power of attorney.

I would not turn this person in for fraud.

I would also check myself and make certain that I wasn't simply worried about money I'd hope to get from the older relative.

Valerie,

I'm sorry, it sounds like you're dealing with a complicated, difficult sitiuation. I have a family member with drug abuse issues and I know how emotionally tapping it is.

The thing with this board is, we respond to the information given to us, and it seemed from your initial posts that it was more a "nosy neighbor" situation than a complicated family issue. I know you were trying to not give out too much information, and I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions, but just a bit more of background would have been so helpful in seeing a clearer picture.

good luck,

lisa

:iagree:

My MIL was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer at the beginning of February 2009. I worked on all her paperwork to try and get her qualified for SS disability. SS wanted written documentation from all her doctors- primary, oncologist, etc. I was on the phone with them for hours and delivered more paperwork than you would be believe to our local SS office. All while also managing her care full time. It finally went through and she received her first payment July 1. Unfortunately she had passed away June 30 and the government took the money right back out of her account that weekend.

I never read anything about gifts or limits to money coming in. I just think it would be really hard to get qualified if you really weren't.

:grouphug:

Reminds me of my girlfriend who was denied for lupus and the paperwork came thru while her family was planning her funeral.

Just wasn't disabled enough. :glare:

If I thought that the older relative was being taken advantage of, I would speak with him/her. If this older relative can be taken advantage of too easily, then I'd help him/her with power of attorney.

I would not turn this person in for fraud.

I would also check myself and make certain that I wasn't simply worried about money I'd hope to get from the older relative.

:blink::eek:

Ummm...

Speaking of check yourself...

However, that said, he sounds like a really rotten human being and if you are concerned about elder abuse via dementia with depletion of her funds by all means call the elder abuse hotline in your state or city. Alcoholics not in recovery are a flaming pain in the *ss. I hope this information helps you and apologize for not posting it sooner. You know unless you have lived with this absolutely frustrating, abusive, soul grinding crap you have no idea what it feels like to be lied to, stolen from, demeaned, humiliated, ostracized etc .all courtesy of a drug abusing jerk. It is a hell like none other. Give this lady a break.

elizabeth, I love you.

I haven't been on the board very regularly recently, so I didn't realize that postings about abuses of government programs happened regularly enough to be mocked (apologies for my lack of originality).

It's okay. There are some here who would like to believe that those who are poor, minority, or otherwise marginalized can do no wrong. I just happen to believe that regardless of race, creed, or financial status, we all have the potential to be equal-opportunity idiots. ;)